File Conversion

Is there "anything out there" that will convert waypoints, tracks,routes, notes/Labels, symbols from a GPX file into separate Shapefiles (for each type data)

Thanks

Yes there is. There is a program called GPS Utility which free, up to a point. The free version is limited in capacity to 100 waypoints, 500 trackpoints, and 5 routes. To get full use it costs $55 (US). I use the free version all the time to translate .gpx to shape and vice versa.

GPSBabel will do it, but to get what you're asking for is kind of klunky. If you have one GPX that contains tracks, waypoints, and routes, I'd do something like

gspbabel -i gpx -f blah.gpx -x nuketypes,tracks,routes -o shape -F wpts

gspbabel -i gpx -f blah.gpx -x nuketypes,waypoints,routes -o shape -F trks

gspbabel -i gpx -f blah.gpx -x nuketypes,tracks,waypoints -o shape -F rtes

Shapefile support doesn't map well onto other formats...

I've had success with gpx2shp for converting tracks and points to shapefiles. I've never used a GPX file with more than one feature type in it so I can't say if it will send the points and lines to different shapefiles. The Windows download can be found here. You want the file called gpx2shp-0.69_win_notest.zip To use the program, you just drag and drop the GPX file on the gpx2shp executable file. The output is called [gpxfilename]_wpt.shp (.shx, .dbf, and so on) if the GPX file contains points.

GPSBabel will do it, but to get what you're asking for is kind of klunky. If you have one GPX that contains tracks, waypoints, and routes, I'd do something like

Robert,

Tell me where to insert those command lines...(in GPS Babel)...now be nice

I've only used it to get Tracks from tpo file to GPX file before.

Thanks

Robert, I tried the command for converting a point GPX file and all I got was the .shp and .shx file. There was no .dbf file, so the shapefile is incomplete and can't be read in ArcGIS.