Hiking Boot Recommendations?

markp99

I had a great summer in my Merrell ankle-high's. Very comfortable and not too hot. I mostly went barefoot in these. The stretchy ties were a concern first, but they worked great for me, proving just enough support and comfort with my wide feet.

shoes_iaec1008849.jpg

Now that the weather is turning cooler, I'm going to be looking for a new pair of shoes, hopefully ones that will bring me part-way into winter. I have an older pair of leather HiTec's that are OK on comfort, but just a tab short (my big toenail will hit the front of the shoe when walking downhill - causing irritation). I do have winter boots & Sorels, so very cold/showy/slushy not much of a concern.

I'd like a lightweight/flexible boot, above the ankle, with good comfort, avaialable in wide widths (damnn my flipper-feet!). Most of the promising boots I see are not avail in widths, making me buy a boot 2 sized too long to accomodate. I'm size ~10 EE or EEE.

Any suggestions or brand favorites?

Thanks!

Edited by markp99

Its silly for anybody to make specific recomendations because a boot that is comfortable for them can be living hell on your feet. Different mfrs.' boots tend to fit different types of feet. For instance I can't wear Rachlies. I have a $300 pair of Rachiles that are sitting in my closet because they give me major blisters and don't accomodate my high instep. My wife on the other hand loves her Rachlies and finds them to be very comfortable.

What you need to do is visit a reputable bootfitter and try out a bunch of different brands and see what fits YOUR feet.

Some good manufacturers are LL Bean, Asolo, Scarpa, Lowa, Vasque, Montrail, Salomon, Rachlie, Technica, Merrell, Danner, Alcio and Zamberlan.

As a starting point, I know LL Bean's Cresta Hikers and Knife Edge Hikers come in EE sizes. The only problem is that if there is no LL Bean near you, you may have to send back a pair or two before you get the correct size.

Some other boots that come in EE or EEE widths:

Danner 453 GTX Hiker

Asolo FSN 95 GTX

Vasque Clarion Impact Gore-Tex Wide

Vasque Sundowner Summit GTX Wide

Dunham Waffle Stomper Terrastryder (also comes in EEEE)

Asolo Fugitive GTX Wide

Lowa Banff

Edited by briansnat

I have the same wide foot problem and have had trouble finding really comfortable boots that fit properly. I bought a pair of Ecco Virpir's last year and have been thrilled with them. They come up to EEEE so the width is not a problem, my 12.5 EEE's fit perfectly. They have great support, I don't slide around in them on long descents and they have held up fairly well, even though I have mistreated them. Usually about $130.00, but I have found them on sale for around $75.00

I have had problems with my feet sliding forward in many boots, particularly ski boots. My ankles are relatively small and foot thickness less than average for my size. Sometimes lacing up the boots all the way would not provide enough support and my toes wound up a the front of the boots, jamming my nails. A great fitter at REI suggested a pair of Montrial boots. I have never had a better fit, with a snug tying, my feet stay in place. The boots are waterproof which is great for geocaching. Not all Montrails have the snug foot box, my Montrail cross trainer shoes that I use for most geocaching are much looser. That is OK because I don’t walk down long slopes most of the time.

Go to a really good store explain your past fit problems to the fitter and be prepared to spend some time trying on boots. If you have any socks that you like take them with you.

I'll echo Brian's comments.

You really need to go to a reputable place and get a good fitting. REI is my choice for that, not to mention I'm a member, so if I didn't like the boots, I could return them for any reason.

That said, I tried on the Asolo Fugitives and they felt really sloppy and unstable to me.

I ended up with a pair of Vasque Wasatch boots that I absolutely love.

Not sure if they're available in wides.

Brian's right, of course, that the best boot is the one that fits you. That said, you have to try on some boots before you find the ones that fit, and that's where recommendations can help.

My two cents: I wear current-issue combat boots for hiking. They're higher above the ankle (8") than most standard hikers, offering more protection against ankle twists and rock bruises. They are lighter than many standard hikers, and pretty nimble. Available in widths up to EE. I wear Danner Eagle GTX 8":

26010.jpg

My comments don't apply to cheap, surplus boots. Most of them are not so good. The only way to break them in to any degree of comfort is to wear 'em through Basic Training. And by that time they're just about worn out.

Thanks for the good information.

Mule Ears, you mention rock bruises. I got a nice one this week. I was straddling a rock wall attempting to cross without climbing upon and dragged one of the rocks off with my butt. The good size rock slid down the inside of my calf and ankle, luckilly it didn;t land on my foot.

I was wearing my ankle-highs with sport socks. I've got a most excellent scrape above and along my ankle, with a very nice bruise beneath. This scrape compliments the older remnants of other tears and scrapes from a most excellent summer of bushwhacking with short boots and short socks.

A taller boot would have helped here, but then I wouldn't have the battle scars :lol:

We have an Eastern Mountain Sports store in town that seems to have a good selection and good staff, though I've never used them for shoes before. Prices look a bit high, but may be worth it for a great fit.

LLBean in Freeport is an easy ~1.5 hrs from me in NH. I did not consider them, but they are actually one of my favorite outdoor equipment store (including my GPS, which they excahnged TWICE, no questions asked). Might be worth a roadtrip?

Thanks again

LLBean in Freeport is an easy ~1.5 hrs from me in NH. I did not consider them, but they are actually one of my favorite outdoor equipment store (including my GPS, which they excahnged TWICE, no questions asked). Might be worth a roadtrip?

If they fit you, the Bean Cresta Hikers are very good boots. I have the all leather Crestas and they are lightweight for all leather boots, provide excellent support and break in quickly. THey also come in a leather/fabric model.

Edited by briansnat

AS Brian said, try lots of brands if you can. With a wide foot it is no going to be easy. Vasque makes a few styles in wide versions, but most retailers do not carry the wide sizes.

As far as the comment re Ecco, Sorry I have to burst a bubble-Ecco does not make a true hiking boot, they make a boot that looks like a hiking boot but it has no support and is to soft to be considered a real hiking boot. I picked up a pair in a local store and I was able to twist them in my hand like a wet rag.

Don't forget to get some good socks. this means stay away from cotton. All a cotton sock will do is create problems for your feet because the cotton will keep your feet damp. Use a sock with some wool it it, 100% Merino wool is great and it will not itch. IF you do not want 100% wool try 30% wool, You should also look at some of the synthetic blends for companies like ThorLo and Bridgdale to name a couple. there are other brands, Just do your feet a favor and stay away from cotton socks

Don't forget to get some good socks. this means stay away from cotton. All a cotton sock will do is create problems for your feet because the cotton will keep your feet damp. Use a sock with some wool it it, 100% Merino wool is great and it will not itch. IF you do not want 100% wool try 30% wool, You should also look at some of the synthetic blends for companies like ThorLo and Bridgdale to name a couple. there are other brands, Just do your feet a favor and stay away from cotton socks

Or if wool bothers your feet, use a thin polypro sock liner underneath. Actually its a good idea even if wool doesn't bother you.