Tom Tom

Well, here I ask a simple question and what do I find, Two replies off no value. If you cannot add anything to the thread just sign off and try to find a cache.

Bah, lighten up...that was funny. :lol:

Besides, it was a free bump...

Edited by egami

In the name of dragging this back on topic, I'll say that I don't think the 910 is actually in the hands of consumers yet. So far, TomTom seems to be holding pretty staidly with thier .ov2 format which is supported by GPSBabel. I can't see that format is supported by EasyGPS.

I'll confess that my impression of TomTom is puzzling. I hear that they're *huge* in Europe and that they're the #2 GPS vendor in the U.S. but I hear very little about them in GPSBabelsville. Whether this is becuase our TomTOm module works swimmingly (it was reverse engineered and implemented by one of our heavy hitters, so it's not out of the question) or because TomTom users don't use GPSBabel, I really can't tell.

I'll confess that my impression of TomTom is puzzling. I hear that they're *huge* in Europe and that they're the #2 GPS vendor in the U.S. but I hear very little about them in GPSBabelsville. Whether this is becuase our TomTOm module works swimmingly (it was reverse engineered and implemented by one of our heavy hitters, so it's not out of the question) or because TomTom users don't use GPSBabel, I really can't tell.

I use TomTom on my PDA, and GSAK to generate the poi file (obviously babel under the hood there). It works just fine! Only problem I've run into is that Babel appears to generate the OV2 file with any number of waypoints in it, but TomTom can only see the first 99 or 100. Knowing that limitation, I just make multiple small OV2s for the areas I'll be in.

Only problem I've run into is that Babel appears to generate the OV2 file with any number of waypoints in it, but TomTom can only see the first 99 or 100.
If you're confident that no TomTom device that reads .ovw will ever read > the first 100, I can make that a hard error.

Thanx for the affirmation that it does basically work. The TomTom crowd has been pretty quiet and given the blurry lines between their PDA and dashtop products, I'm not at all clear on what's what in that market.

In the name of dragging this back on topic, I'll say that I don't think the 910 is actually in the hands of consumers yet. So far, TomTom seems to be holding pretty staidly with thier .ov2 format which is supported by GPSBabel. I can't see that format is supported by EasyGPS.

The reason you hear so little about them in babelsville is that a TomTom is almost impossible to use for anything outside of car navigation. It's next to impossible to program it to navigate to an off-road waypoint, I think on some of the lower models you can't even program a lat/long, just an address.

Great for car navigation, poor for off-road (i.e. hiking, caching, boating, etc.).

Does anyone know if Easy GPS downloads can be sent to the TomTom GPS, the new TomTom I think it is model 910

JV,

Sorry to get the thread back on subject.......but try contacting, Dan Foster (support2006@expertgps.com), he's the developer of Easy, and Expert GPS......However,he'll be "Out of Office" from Aug 31-Sept 4.

Also check out http://forums.topografix.com/

Edited by Grasscatcher
Only problem I've run into is that Babel appears to generate the OV2 file with any number of waypoints in it, but TomTom can only see the first 99 or 100.
If you're confident that no TomTom device that reads .ovw will ever read > the first 100, I can make that a hard error.

Thanx for the affirmation that it does basically work. The TomTom crowd has been pretty quiet and given the blurry lines between their PDA and dashtop products, I'm not at all clear on what's what in that market.

Nope, I can't say I'm confident of that at all. The PDA version has a limit, but I've never touched one of TomTom's hardware versions, and I have no idea what the POI limit is on them. I wouldn't want to chance messing anything up for any other TomTom people who use babel, so best to leave it as is. I know the limit of my software and can work around it easily enough.

THanks for the tip, and thanks to all that have been able to add to the thread.

Magellan does not make a car unti that can be used for geocaching and I willnot buy anything from Garmin

Unfortunately, the GPS makers more and more are really segregating the car vs. hiking/caching units in terms of functionality. The cynic in me thinks this is a greedy way to get GPS lovers to have to buy two units!

The now-discontinued but easy to get cheap ($150-200) on eBay and clearance sales Lowrance IWay 100M almost does both. It lacks the "compass rose" and it takes a bit of a learning curve to learn how to get it to a screen that says you are x feet from the cache, but it's as close as I've seen to something that is sized like a handheld, works as a full car unit, and is usable for caching. It's kind of weird because their later models in the IWay series look and function more like a Tom Tom.

Unfortunately, the GPS makers more and more are really segregating the car vs. hiking/caching units in terms of functionality. The cynic in me thinks this is a greedy way to get GPS lovers to have to buy two units!

I don't know...essentially they are two different functions in a lot ways. Do you need a submergable device for car nav. (Hopefully not!)? Do you need a compass for car nav.? Do you need voice directions for geocaching / hiking?

I share the frustration...I wish I could have got the perfect unit for both, but I think if that unit existed it'd be about the price two seperate units with the same combined functionality anyway.

I don't know...essentially they are two different functions in a lot ways. Do you need a submergable device for car nav. (Hopefully not!)? Do you need a compass for car nav.? Do you need voice directions for geocaching / hiking?

I share the frustration...I wish I could have got the perfect unit for both, but I think if that unit existed it'd be about the price two seperate units with the same combined functionality anyway.

You are probably right, but I'm sure there'd still be a market for it, just people who don't want to have to need two units. I mean Lowrance almost got such a thing with the iWay 100M so I'm sure it could be done. The Whistler Galileo also was kind of close, it even had the "compass rose" that the iWay 100M lacked, where it failed was lack of compatibility with Easy GPS, etc. and the fact that it stopped showing distance to the cache after 0.1 miles (528 ft.); the iWay 100M similarly does so at 0.01 miles, but that's only 52.8 ft.