Reviewers/Moderators

El Diablo

Well, I may be refered to a Hitler, Darth Vador, or back end of an equestrian for this, but it needs to be done...

If you want to speculate about the demise of Team 360, do it elsewhere. The angst level is way too high in this thread.

Let's get off this tangent and back on the OP's discussion.

Thanks you.

edit: fix fat fingerings

Edited by Moose Mob

Wait a minute. The mods and reviewers receive no pay for their hours of daily service, they have to hide behind separate account names to avoid being personally harassed, they are routinely accosted and assaulted at caching events to the poit of being afraid to attend, they spend hundreds of dollars worth of their own electricity, computer usage and energy, ..... and they get to beat up prisoners?

Oh yeah, baby - that's the only reason I do this.

At the risk of getting a time out (due to a warning I was issued, my 1st BTW. Woo Hoo! not a virgin anymore...) I'd like to respond here. Moderators and reviewers are a necessary evil. This site would be hard pressed to operate without them.

That's right!

They do get their share of praise as this thread illustrates. That is a good thing.

AGREED!

Putting them on a pedestal is not.

BOO!

Are they perfect? No.

Yes, we are.

They make mistakes and errors in judgement as we all do.

No, we don't.

From what I have seen they are just average folks with an additional job to do.

Did you just call me average?

Now, all praise the pasta!

Mmmmmmmmm.......pasta.......drool. :tired::blink:

I wish I could enjoy reading the thread for the purpose it was designed to serve (regardless of tortuous attempts to twist the OP's meaning).
I don't agree. Other than it going off track in discussing the specific cases of Team 360 and slumbersix, the replies, as far as I can see, have been squarely on topic. The title and OP asks this:
Reviewers/Moderators, Do we need them? Now that I have your attention. Have you ever stopped to think where this sport/hobby/game would be without our Reviewers? Or how about where these forums would be without Moderators?
El D then goes on to state his opinion. That is what most other have done also.

There is a steady diet of other threads in which site volunteers are criticized.
Too true. That is not necessarily bad in all cases tho. How can things improve if people do not point out where improvement is needed?

Constructive, factually accurate and on-topic criticism is always welcomed.
I'm having a hard time reconciling this statement with other statements by representatives of this site saying that the only way to comment on actions of Groundspeak employees or volunteers was by contacting them thru email. Indeed, I know of 1 person given a 3 day 'time out' for just making a reply to an action by a moderator. I myself was given a warning for only tangently alluding to the whole incident. That warning is why I was hesitant to reply here at all.

"Let's get off this tangent and back on the OP's discussion."

Gees, I agree.

Why does a forum that starts with good intention more times turn out to be so

full of friction?? I come to the forums on occasion to gain insight and maybe

learn something of what is happening in the GC community, and often times,

I am disappointed.

If you don't like the rules of their game, don't play. It's optional.

ANYHOW,

THANKS TO ALL THE MODERATORS AND REVIEWERS (esp. Keystone in my area)

and JEREMY FOR ALL THE EXTRA EFFORT AND TIME SPENT TO KEEP THIS GAME

GOING!! I APPRECIATE IT.

I think GC and these forums would be a disaster without them!!!

Edited by BDstarcachers

See thats how it should be But thats not what had happened. you see team 360 came up with a geocoin idea. this coin was not going to be supported by GC. so words went on between GC and Team 360 and Team 360 was banned (thats all i know about 360) well my friend Joe liked the coin idea and made his avatar be the Coin in question. The Mod didn't like it and gave Joe a time out for 1 week. at the end of 1 week Joe found himself banned for life and when you get a time out or get banned you can't go on the site and play anymore. this was really only one mod that has done all this to 2 Geocachers but there are the very few Mods that i don't think a thank you is needed nor do i think we need them here yes there are some that do there Jobs and do it well but there are the ones that over step there power and like some one said take his game home and not let us play. i have talked to joe about this thread and all he is mad about is the fact that the Mod said one thing and did another the Mod told him it was a time out and then Banned him for good. i think this is a clear use of over stepping you're powers on the site. so in my Opinion there are still the few that we don't need.

next time you want to make a bow down and praise the MODs thread make it say that and don't give people the option to make a choice for them selfs. also i don't see how this derails you're thread when it'a all about the MODs. you clearly ask "Do We Need Them?" In my Opinion yes we need the ones that stick to doing there jobs and no we don't need the Mods that act like Dictators we need more Yodas and less Darth Vadors.

I am truly surprised you are still here posting. I expected a time-out at the least.

Although "Dictators" and "Darth Vaders" are mild compared to your previous SS comparisons, I fully expected to see you receive a temp ban by now....

In thinking about this some more, I am especially crestfallen because nobody has noted the fine contributions of the three Pennsylvania volunteers. Perhaps I could set up a sock puppet to do that.

I don't even live in PA, but I think the one Mod from there that I've met is a great guy, and a fabulous knuclehead. :tired:

See thats how it should be But thats not what had happened. you see team 360 came up with a geocoin idea. this coin was not going to be supported by GC. so words went on between GC and Team 360 and Team 360 was banned (thats all i know about 360) well my friend Joe liked the coin idea and made his avatar be the Coin in question. The Mod didn't like it and gave Joe a time out for 1 week. at the end of 1 week Joe found himself banned for life and when you get a time out or get banned you can't go on the site and play anymore. this was really only one mod that has done all this to 2 Geocachers but there are the very few Mods that i don't think a thank you is needed nor do i think we need them here yes there are some that do there Jobs and do it well but there are the ones that over step there power and like some one said take his game home and not let us play. i have talked to joe about this thread and all he is mad about is the fact that the Mod said one thing and did another the Mod told him it was a time out and then Banned him for good. i think this is a clear use of over stepping you're powers on the site. so in my Opinion there are still the few that we don't need.

next time you want to make a bow down and praise the MODs thread make it say that and don't give people the option to make a choice for them selfs. also i don't see how this derails you're thread when it'a all about the MODs. you clearly ask "Do We Need Them?" In my Opinion yes we need the ones that stick to doing there jobs and no we don't need the Mods that act like Dictators we need more Yodas and less Darth Vadors.

I am truly surprised you are still here posting. I expected a time-out at the least.

Although "Dictators" and "Darth Vaders" are mild compared to your previous SS comparisons, I fully expected to see you receive a temp ban by now....

Me too, C4.

b1rdbrain--You are de-railing this thread because you refuse to stick to the subject matter. You are trying to make this the "Life is so unfair to Team360 thread".

Whether you like it or not, he violated the rules. Jeremy makes the rules. The Mods enforce the rules.

If you can't get that through your head, maybe you should go find another sandbox to play in.

El Diablo--My sincere appologies for this short hi-jack.

To all the mods reading this...I thank you for your refereeing (sp?) of this mess. There isn't enough money to get me to do it. I dunno why you do this for free.

[edit--punctuation]

Edited by Shop99er
<snip> Jeremy makes the rules. The Mods enforce the rules.<snip>

My apologies for a new tangent, but I would like to add a little of my personal perspective on this tiny piece of a well stated posting. I hope I don't take it out of context.

As far as my personal persopective, which to varying degrees is shared by the other moderators and reviewers.

This is game belongs to you. This is forum belongs to you. That would be the collective "you", NOT the individual "you".

I view my role here is that of a facilitator. I try not to say much, no matter how tempting, so that one of "you" may have the opportunity to help your fellow geocacher and thus feel more a part of this community that we call Geocachers. My role is to do what I can to ensure that all who have an opinion are listened to with respect and are not overshadowed by those who feel thier opinions are worth more than others. My role is to keep a level of respect between all of you. Some days it makes me the bad guy, but that comes with the territory.

/end of ranting

In thinking about this some more, I am especially crestfallen because nobody has noted the fine contributions of the three Pennsylvania volunteers. Perhaps I could set up a sock puppet to do that.

I've met two of the three PA volunteers. They are both exceptional people who I am glad to have had the pleasure of caching with.

Some day I'll get the PA tri-fecta. :tired:

<snip> Jeremy makes the rules. The Mods enforce the rules.<snip>

<snip>

I view my role here is that of a facilitator. I try not to say much, no matter how tempting, so that one of "you" may have the opportunity to help your fellow geocacher and thus feel more a part of this community that we call Geocachers. My role is to do what I can to ensure that all who have an opinion are listened to with respect and are not overshadowed by those who feel thier opinions are worth more than others. My role is to keep a level of respect between all of you. Some days it makes me the bad guy, but that comes with the territory.

/end of ranting

And you do a hell of a good job, MooseMob! :tired: Both in person, and regionally, and on these forums. Thank you!!

Now that I have your attention. :laughing: Have you ever stopped to think where this sport/hobby/game would be without our Reviewers? Or how about where these forums would be without Moderaters?

I can remember the good old days when fur flew in here. Well maybe they weren't that good. :laughing: Most of the Moderators in here are also Reviewers and have seen the good the bad and the ugly. They do a thankless job that most cachers don't even consider.

Over the years they have reviewed and approved hundreds of thousands of caches. They have kept many of us from killing each other in the fourms. Considering the money they are paid (None. Unless Jeremy and Bryan have gotten off the pocket book.) They are volunteers that take time out of their life to make it possible that we have fun. it's amazing that they take on such a task. We ridicule them, challange their decisons. complain about caches not being approved, or not being approved fast enough.

They are the people that make caching possible. They are the people that keep these fourms family friendly. Sadly most people forget, or don't know what these people do. Without them this sport/game/hobby would grind to a stop.

It's time to say thanks to your Reviewer and fourm Moderater.

Thanks Keystone, mtn-man, Quiggle, Briansnat, Jeremy, Cybret, Markwell, Moun10bike, and Sax man, and to everyone else that works behind the scenes reviewing caches and moderating the fourms. You people are the greatest!

El Diablo

I think we neew them because we could not hide any more caches. This is silly why would you want to argue about it? And the m oderaters are just doing what their Jeremy told them. Besides you people agru about everything. Sheesh <_<

Hi kids.

Our favorite poster in this thread decided to send me a flame e-mail through my profile.

Seems he didn't like what I had to say. Evidently, if you don't agree with him, you're just a bu__kisser. :laughing: At least that's what I got out of it.

And yes, I am taking the appropriate steps, per the Groundspeak rules. Now, where's Mrs. Shop99er's lipstick. :laughing:

Hi kids.

Our favorite poster in this thread decided to send me a flame e-mail through my profile.

Seems he didn't like what I had to say. Evidently, if you don't agree with him, you're just a bu__kisser. :laughing: At least that's what I got out of it.

And yes, I am taking the appropriate steps, per the Groundspeak rules. Now, where's Mrs. Shop99er's lipstick. :laughing:

I guess they just aren't going to be happy until they get the boot too.

Maybe Jeremy will oblige them this time...

As a newbie to geocaching, but not to message boards,

...thank you to the moderators for doing what I know all too well is a mostly thankless job. I know how much work goes on behind the scenes in addition to what we all see every day and I appreciate the hard work you put in.

Thank you also to all of the reviewers! Without you, we wouldn't have any caches to track down...or we'd have ones in the middle of the ocean with no one double checking the coords :laughing:

Thanks!

I'm going to entirely ignore a lot of the discussions going on in this thread, and post a reply to the first post:

Thank you Keystone and Cap'n Buckeye, you guys rock!

Thank you!

I started this thread as a venue to give appreciation and thanks to the Reviewers and Moderaters. The title of the thread has been used to twist my original intentions. I should have made the sub line "Thank you." rather than "Do we need them" If I had the power I would change that, but I can't modify the sub line. Maybe someone with the power will do it for me.

For anyone to think that my original intent was to open a thread to bring up anything besides appreciation is really reaching here. My record here for the past 5 years has always been one of support for the Reviewers and Moderaters.

So let me make this perfectly clear to the people out there that want to twist my words. I intended this thread to be one of appreciation, not one of debate. If you have nothing good to say about the people I'm trying to honor then start your own thread.

I could start a thread about the people here that jump on any excuse to complain. Never mind that the without the people that I'm trying to honor they wouldn't be playing this game anyways. However I would just get warned or banned. Hmmm...it just might be worth it to finally call out all the.....

El Diablo

No kidding... I could have sworn you were trolling for a debate.

In the future please try to be more careful with your posts. You could probably start with the same title, but for the subtitle you could have posted "I need them" followed with a question about why others need them too. That way the future posts would be just the way you want them.

I answered honestly and so did others. To assume everyone else is looking through the same rose colored glasses is kind of silly in hindsight, don't you think? Let's chalk it up as a learning experience and cache on. :laughing:

Edited by cachew nut
This is game belongs to you. This is forum belongs to you. That would be the collective "you", NOT the individual "you".

I view my role here is that of a facilitator. I try not to say much, no matter how tempting, so that one of "you" may have the opportunity to help your fellow geocacher and thus feel more a part of this community that we call Geocachers.

Moose Mob, we have exchanged a few PM's in the past. I like your mostly hands off policy of moderating, so thank you. It's refreshing to be moderated by someone who doesn't think that the forums exist as their own personal blog, so thanks again!

You know the more I think about this, the more I think that this topic should be moved to the Geocacaching.com Web Site discussion group. It really isn't a Geocaching Topic at all. A good moderator would have been all over this.

You would think that someone who has been here for 5 years would know which forum group to post to.

( :laughing: I've probably done this a couple times myself :laughing: )

So anyway, in an effort to remove the angst from the Geocaching Topics discussion group, I suggest moving this thread to the proper group, or closing the thread entirely.

I don't see why you couldn't just thank your reviewer/moderator by email or PM. That kind of thanks should be forthcoming on it's own, certainly we don't need to be told to do it and it's not as if the reviewers/moderators are going to quit if you don't. <_<

Edited by cachew nut

You know the more I think about this, the more I think that this topic should be moved to the Geocacaching.com Web Site discussion group. It really isn't a Geocaching Topic at all.

You would think that someone who has been here for 5 years would know which forum group to post to.

So anyway, in an effort to remove the angst from the Geocaching Topics discussion group, I suggest moving this thread to the proper group, or closing the thread entirely.

I don't see why you couldn't just thank your reviewer/moderator by email or PM. That kind of thanks should be forthcoming on it's own, certainly we don't need to be told to do it and it's not as if the reviewers/moderators are going to quit if you don't. <_<

It has everything to do with geocaching. Without these people there would be no geocaching on this site.

The only angst in this thread is caused by you and a few others. If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

This thread was started as a nice gesture and hijacked by people like you. I've asked nicely that you start your own topic if you disagree with this one.

If you have a beef with me take it to PM or email.

El Diablo

You know the more I think about this, the more I think that this topic should be moved to the Geocacaching.com Web Site discussion group. It really isn't a Geocaching Topic at all.

It has everything to do with geocaching. Without these people there would be no geocaching on this site.

The only angst in this thread is caused by you and a few others. If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

This thread was started as a nice gesture and hijacked by people like you. I've asked nicely that you start your own topic if you disagree with this one.

If you have a beef with me take it to PM or email.

El Diablo

I have been entirely on topic, the topic that you started. I will now send you a PM to explain this to you so that the discussion can continue, but please don't accuse me of hijacking your thread, because I most certainly did not. Look for the PM where I explain to you about how I did not hijack your thread and have stayed on topic.

You know the more I think about this, the more I think that this topic should be moved to the Geocacaching.com Web Site discussion group. It really isn't a Geocaching Topic at all. A good moderator would have been all over this.

Um, what He said :blink:

There are more than a few out there willing to publicly bash the mods and reviewers, so why is it wrong to publicly praise them?

Maybe Diablo is just trying to remind some of common courtesy and appreciation that is so often forgotten in this day and age.

Nothing wrong with praise. His post left the door open for other opinions though. It would be easy enough to post a "praise the mods and reveiwers" thread, he chose to spice it up with his message title and question. If you ask the question, you should expect the answers will come.

Edited by cachew nut

Even though I've only been here a couple of weeks, I'll say "Thanks Mods and Admin for all that you do"

It's tough to be a mod, because no matter what you do or how you handle a situation ; whether it be post, thread or poster, you're always in the proverbial poop. Sometimes they've got to make tough decisions and more often than not, the decisions they make will upset someone - no matter what side of the issue they are on.

...I don't see why you couldn't just thank your reviewer/moderator by email or PM. That kind of thanks should be forthcoming on it's own, certainly we don't need to be told to do it and it's not as if the reviewers/moderators are going to quit if you don't. :D
Um, what He said :D

Agreed.

There are few things quite as irritating as people who insist on telling others when they should be appreciative.

He's been giving too much good comedy. The beating of prisoners and inmates, priceless. Now I need to be more like Yoda. I don't like his little green robe thing though. Can I be more like Samual L. Jackson's character? That was Mace Windu. He was cooler, as far as humanoids go. He was kind of intense though. Hmmm. Yoda was kind of intense at times too. Hmmmm. I don't know if you would want Yoda as a mod in these forums. When you made him mad, he did Yodaflips and thwacked you with his light saber. All I do is lean up in my chair and thwack your warning meter.

<Yoda voice>

Me thinks if modding these forums Yoda actually did, a time-out to birdbrain might have come.

</Yoda voice>

Edited by mtn-man

Props to PNWadmin and Team Misguided for the review work they do in my area. Thanks! :D

Ditto, and to Cascade Reviewer, as well! Woo hoo, the Northwest reviewers and mods rock! :DB):D

The reviewers in the NW are incredibly PATIENT and HELPFUL! I recently tried to put the start of a multi a 200ft from the start of another one. I had already done it so it wasnt on my map anymore so it doesnt exist right? :D Anyway instead of telling me what a bonehead I was Team Misguided very patiently and politely reminded me about the guidelines and suggested that I turn it into some sort of puzzle cache if I still wanted to use the historical monument. I am not exactly sure I would have had the same response to somebody who is suppossed to know better and they do it on a daily basis! No power trips for Team Misguided just 100% helpful guidance! :D

The reviewers in the NW are incredibly PATIENT and HELPFUL! I recently tried to put the start of a multi a 200ft from the start of another one. I had already done it so it wasnt on my map anymore so it doesnt exist right? :D Anyway instead of telling me what a bonehead I was Team Misguided very patiently and politely reminded me about the guidelines and suggested that I turn it into some sort of puzzle cache if I still wanted to use the historical monument. I am not exactly sure I would have had the same response to somebody who is suppossed to know better and they do it on a daily basis! No power trips for Team Misguided just 100% helpful guidance! :D

They are like that every time. :D

I'll add my thanks and answer the question(s).

So, thanks to the mods and the reviewers for keeping things in check. This includes the forums and the cache placement rules, etc. that keep us (all cachers) from getting into issues with land managers, National Parks, etc.

And yes, they are needed. You think there are complaints NOW about cache placement, density, etc. - imagine what it would be like without rules and people to enforce them. You may think we could be self-policing, but you would be wrong :D