Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
waycacher

ham radio help needed

Can anybody tell me a good radio to get?

What about a book to keep me on track?

any links to good sites on ham radio?

if so post below.

Not enough info!

As to the radio - what uses do you have in mind?

My favorite book on Ham Radio is "The Radio Amateur's Handbook" by the ARRL. Current copies are around $60! Go on eBay and get one that is used, I have picked up 3 year old versions for under $15 - and that includes shipping.

The ARRL's "Antenna Book" is good, too.

Are you licensed already or are you asking for help there, too?

Mark

WR8Y

ex WN8VUX, ex WB8VUX, ex husband to 'her'...

A good book to get would be one of the Ham study manuals from Radio Shack.

As for a radio try to find a single band (2 Meter) ht to start with. You will want to upgrade in a few months or a year. A used Radio Shack HTX202 would be your best bet.

As for a website, Try ARRL.org. Then once you get your ticket- you might want to become an ARRL member.

Chris / KA7CJH

Hi Waycacher -

for links try the American Radio Relay League's website for newcomers:

http://www.hello-radio.org/

The "Become a Ham" tab has info on both finding help locally and self study guides. The League publishes a number of good ones

The W5YI group also has study materials for exams:

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=17

WR8Y makes a good point ... you'll want to know a bit more about what parts of the hobby you want to try before you can decide on radios. The hello-radio site may help with this.

Good luck and thanks for your interest in ham radio!

regards,

David

K1DBB

Edited by dbb83

Also check out the following Yahoo Group:

http://www.hamradiohelp.com/

I'm one of the many moderators and it's a wonderful group of people. You don't have to worry about getting slapped for asking a common question or get sent to the search bar. :D So come on in! 73!

Stan, K9SWX

I agree with all the posts on needing more information for a radio, however to answer your question directly, The best advice i was given by the friends of mine that were hams for a first radio was a Yeasu ft-50R. It is a dual band portable radio 5W and is very durable for GeoCaching, small enough to carry without being a burden, and I added an amp for moble use. It goes with me everywhere. I have since upgraded the moble several times but still use the FT-50 on a regular basis.

I agree with all the posts on needing more information for a radio, however to answer your question directly, The best advice i was given by the friends of mine that were hams for a first radio was a Yeasu ft-50R. It is a dual band portable radio 5W and is very durable for GeoCaching, small enough to carry without being a burden, and I added an amp for moble use. It goes with me everywhere. I have since upgraded the moble several times but still use the FT-50 on a regular basis.

Last month I purchased a Kenwood D7A dual band HT which works very well with my Garmin 60CSX. It also has a built TNC/APRS so I can transmit my position to the digipeater and eventually to the internet. ;) I actually bought it for my bicycle, but eventually I will use it when geocaching. The FT-50R looks like a nice HT too and appears very durable. 73!

Stan, K9SWX

I use a Yaseu VX-5R handheld. 2 mtrs, 6 mtrs and 440 MHz bands plus NOAA and wide band receive capabilities. It's pretty rugged (I also use it for emergency comms work with the Red Cross). It's discontinued but look at the VX-6R or 7R which are newer siblings. The 7R is submersible. All models can take an optional barometric unit which is marketed at hikers and climbers. My only complaint about the 5R is there are so many options and menus that you really need the manual or cheat-sheet if you don't use it often. Not sure if this is improved in the later models.

That built in TNC and APRS capability in the Kenwood D7A does look nice though :-)

Good luck.

regards,

David

I use a Yaseu VX-5R handheld. 2 mtrs, 6 mtrs and 440 MHz bands plus NOAA and wide band receive capabilities. It's pretty rugged (I also use it for emergency comms work with the Red Cross). It's discontinued but look at the VX-6R or 7R which are newer siblings. The 7R is submersible. All models can take an optional barometric unit which is marketed at hikers and climbers. My only complaint about the 5R is there are so many options and menus that you really need the manual or cheat-sheet if you don't use it often. Not sure if this is improved in the later models.

I used to have a VX-5RS (silver model) and loved it. Sold it a few years ago cause I needed the cash. When I saved up again, they were discontinued. Maybe I'll buy a used one again someday, what a great little HT. The 6R and 7R just don't look the same, but then again I haven't seen them in person.

Stan, K9SWX

I agree with the not enough information. I am strictly old school. I have a tube type HF radio and a ICOM 751 General Receiver/transmitter.

My only advice, is if you are new to ham radio, read a lot of books(they are cheaper than radios) and figure out what you want to do with them, then pick out a radio that will work for that application.

KA7RTA