awsome idea

the butterfly effect

I got an email form geoswag the other day and now they are starting to send you a copy coin with your regular coin I got them yesterday and sure enough i got my regular coin and a copy that looks just like it with engraving on the edge that says copy please keep moving cache to cache!! cool!!

I was wondering what was going on when I opened the package today. Thanks to your post I found the etching on the side.

We wanted to try something different this month. We are happy people like the copy coins.

In the future, we hope to add/try different surprises. Of course, it wont be every month :).

Oakcoins/Geoswag Coin and Pin Club

so which month coin is getting the copy?

It is the "Tools of the Trade" Geocoin/pin set for the month of August.

Edited by stvanme

We wanted to try something different this month. We are happy people like the copy coins.

In the future, we hope to add/try different surprises. Of course, it wont be every month :unsure:.

Oakcoins/Geoswag Coin and Pin Club

so which month coin is getting the copy?

It is the "Tools of the Trade" Geocoin/pin set for the month of August.

bummer I was hoping sept would get the double.

It does sound like a good idea to make copy coins just like GC does for the travel bug tags. Wonder if this will catch on :)

Glad to see BadAndys idea is spreading. :o

We thought of this Idea back in November on a coin we are still working on. We didnt pull the trigger for it till July for any of our coins.

I think we got the idea around the time someone traded a 'copy' moun10bike coin which was attached to a washer :ph34r:.

If this is true...the circle of life is now complete.

I was the original owner of the geoswag.com domain. When I forgot to renew it, It was quickly grabbed up.

It's all good.

I got an email form geoswag the other day and now they are starting to send you a copy coin with your regular coin I got them yesterday and sure enough i got my regular coin and a copy that looks just like it with engraving on the edge that says copy please keep moving cache to cache!! cool!!

Out of curiousity, how are these different from laminated paper copy coins? Obviously they're better quality copies but I'm just wondering if the same people who rabidly insist that you absolutely, positively must see the REAL coin to properly log it think it's OK to log these copy coins because they're made of metal. If you see the copy coin in a cache, have you seen the real coin?

I personally think it's a neat idea but I'm just wondering how the anti-paper copy folks can logically reconcile their positions.

Out of curiousity, how are these different from laminated paper copy coins? Obviously they're better quality copies but I'm just wondering if the same people who rabidly insist that you absolutely, positively must see the REAL coin to properly log it think it's OK to log these copy coins because they're made of metal. If you see the copy coin in a cache, have you seen the real coin?

I personally think it's a neat idea but I'm just wondering how the anti-paper copy folks can logically reconcile their positions.

It's easy to reconcile.

The "copy" coin is identical to the nonmarked coin with the exception of the engraved word. It's the same weight, size and thickness. They were struck with the same dies. The copy geocoin is a real geocoin.

The laminated cardboard is not.

It's easy to reconcile.

The "copy" coin is identical to the nonmarked coin with the exception of the engraved word. It's the same weight, size and thickness. They were struck with the same dies. The copy geocoin is a real geocoin.

Both the Bad Andy and Geoswag Club Coin Copies were 'struck' at the same time as well.

We are guessing it is because they view a "real" coin as being made of metal, even if it is a "copy" coin. They have that metal disk in their hands, to see exactly what the "real" coin looks like in 3D, instead of a picture of it. Now that several of our traveling coins have been picked up, and never heard of again, we are thinking that the paper copies are a MUCH safer way (and not to mention, less EXPENSIVE) to send coins out to travel!

It's easy to reconcile.

But, to paraphrase Highlander, there "can only be one". Even though the copy may look identical to the original with the exception of the word "Copy", it still isn't the original geocoin. The paper copy coins, if they're made with care, look reasonably well and convey most all the important characteristics of the original too. Some people on this forum have previously made a big deal about only the original coin can be logged and said things like even if you've seen an expensive replica of the Mona Lisa, you still haven't seen the Mona Lisa unless you've been to the Louvre in Paris.

I'm all for anything that puts coins in caches. It just seems inconsistent to me that people who reject paper copy coins and ridicule those who make them would be willing to embrace these copies, just because they're more realistic. Hopefully nobody will threaten to take a pair of tin snips and cut up any of these disgusting new metal copy coins like they threatened to do with the paper copies.

I'm all for anything that puts coins in caches. It just seems inconsistent to me that people who reject paper copy coins and ridicule those who make them would be willing to embrace these copies, just because they're more realistic. Hopefully nobody will threaten to take a pair of tin snips and cut up any of these disgusting new metal copy coins like they threatened to do with the paper copies.

Hopefully no one destroys someones property without their permission.

This is the same as people removing micros because the dont like them.

It's easy to reconcile.

But, to paraphrase Highlander, there "can only be one". Even though the copy may look identical to the original with the exception of the word "Copy", it still isn't the original geocoin. The paper copy coins, if they're made with care, look reasonably well and convey most all the important characteristics of the original too. Some people on this forum have previously made a big deal about only the original coin can be logged and said things like even if you've seen an expensive replica of the Mona Lisa, you still haven't seen the Mona Lisa unless you've been to the Louvre in Paris.

Take a minted copy coin and it's twin and compare that set to any geocoin and it's most meticulously made photocopy laminated clone.

Theres no comparison.

The minted copy IS the same as the unbranded geocoin.

Highlanders quote should be "there can be only one set of identical twins"

Take a minted copy coin and it's twin and compare that set to any geocoin and it's most meticulously made photocopy laminated clone.

Theres no comparison.

The minted copy IS the same as the unbranded geocoin.

So a copy is OK to log if it's a good enough quality copy? You really don't have to see the original?

So who determines if the quality is good enough?