Sad News to Pass On

Amazon Annie

More news to pass on :

Today, after an ultrasound, Sue suffered a setback and as it now stands will be kept at Credit Valley Hospital for approximately 4 days.

As we understand, the funeral arrangements remain the same.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Sue, Allan and Rebecca once more.

Sandy and Neal

Its 1:04 am and I just got back from the hospital, my mom just had surgery, and

shes going to be fine, but it will take a lot of days or so. As someone posted my mom

will not be attending the funeral tomrrow, but Allan and myself are going for my mom. And Fizbot I

Love those pictures, someone seem to catch my dad at his greatest moments, Never seen them before, thanks for posting them.

thanks rebecca.

Edited by rebekah_14

Morning Becky..

Thanks for the update and thanks for those beautiful pics..

Thanks also to The Owens for the nice story board they did for last night..

Thanks to AA for all her work here..

It was nice meeting you AA..And it was nice meeting all of you who attended..

There is no possible way to just change arrangements for today..

We deeply regret Sue not being there..

This was all supposed to be for her..

And us..

And it just makes this day so much harder for everyone..

I first met Tony a few days after I started caching at the Poacher's Pub Night (CGED9) in Burlington back in '03. I got up the nerve to attend the event even though I knew not one person. I thought "Gosh, how will I know which bunch of people the cachers are?" Not a problem! There they were with all the gadgets sitting on the patio talking some strange language. Tony was nice enough to introduce himself and be my translator. With the help of him and a few others I learned that there was more than a map screen to find a cache (you can imagine what I was going through previously trying to match the icon on the map with the cache).

1870041_200.jpg

About 2 weeks later I got to see Tony and his son Allen in action. Nozzletime and I were rushing out for a FTF on Key to Success up in Mount Nemo. Long story short, we met them at the cache and started searching... and Tony and Allen beat us to the find. We proceeded on to the other cache (GC18B3) in the area - and Tony proceeded to laugh as I tried to follow the instructions "what is the large man-made grassed area down below called?" Of course I couldn't see anything as the trees had grown tall and obscured the target. I lived up to my name (at that time) of 1short ! Tony told me that this was his first cache with the Meadowvale Scouts.

181639_200.jpg

Tony attempted to help Laura (Beaux) and me try to be FTF at a puzzle cache in Ottawa. He didn't give me the answer but nudged me in the direction to solve it. We did find the first stage but the redirect confused us. We gave it our all - driving around Ottawa for about 4 hrs attempting to find the final and phoning our friend for help. Never did find it but when I return I will sign his name in the book. That one even had him stumped!

I always looked forward to seeing Tony pop out of the woods at a cache or come over at an event and tease me about my limited abilities of obtaining caches that weren't "Annie Friendly" or discuss our love of all things related to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Dr. Who. He made sure that he greeted one and all at each event and I will try to carry on that tradition in his name. It's one of my toughest things to do (yes I am actually extremely shy) but it's my earth mission that I need to accomplish for him.

Thanks Tony for the honour to know you and your family. You have been a huge influence on me and you will not be forgotten in our larger caching family. I'm sorry your mission was accomplished too soon for our liking but I'm sure you'll have us scratching our heads when we get up there to meet you again with some challenging puzzles (just leave the math out of it ... will ya?)

Best wishes to Sue, I hope you relax and recover soon so we can meet up again. Hugs to Rebecca and Allan and best wishes for your recovery too. Steve and family, CheeriO's, Rideau Rangers etc. - you are a great support, I'm so glad that you're there to help out.

Edit: gramatix

Edited by Amazon Annie

Although we had not had the honour of meeting 1701eh in person; we were certainly aware of his geocaching presence, through the many logs we've seen written into cache log-books. We've now read through this thread today, and realize that 1701eh played a very significant role in the Ontario geocaching community. We join with others in expressing the loss of such a dedicated 'scouter' and 'cacher'. Our prayers go out for the on-going recovery of Sue, and the emotional support of their children.

bullfrogeh & lilypad of the 'Bullfrog Eh-Team'.

This is a special thank you to all of the Guides, Scouts, Geocachers and Friends who banded together over the past week to help us..

The work you all put into yesterday was truly remarkable..

We truly can't thank you enough..

We felt like we hired a team of professionals to cater the reception..And we also are aware that a number of you missed the actual funeral to make preparations for all of our guests..

You know Tony would be as proud of you as I am..

Thanks again..

I will go see Sue today..

For those of you who don't know, she ended up back in hospital due to some complications...She had an operation and it was a success..We heard yesterday that she was resting comfortably(as confortable as can be expected)...

She was fully aware of the funeral taking place yesterday and only asked that her thanks and appreciation be passed on to all of you..

Which Allan took care of for her..And I'm sure she'll be proud of the job he did..

Hopefully, its just a matter of time for her to heal, but I will report back later with any more info..

Bless you all..

Steve..

Although the Canadian geocaching community is spread out over our vast country, the nature of how it's played out on the internet allows all to see, if they wish, how the game and it’s players are doing in all parts of the country. It shrinks distance and in the end, makes the community more like a neighborhood that is very close knit.

As I sit here on the west coast and read the words written down here by people both close to 1701eh and knew him well and others who only knew of him, I feel a loss at never having the opportunity to have met the man. I thought that I did not know anything about him at all but even out here on Vancouver Island I can say that knew of him.

It so happens that about a year ago as I scanned cache pages to get some ideas for my next cache hide, I came across a cache called ‘Some Like It Hot’ by Amazon Annie. The idea intrigued me and I read all the logs. The one for July 1, 2005 actually caught my eye and as I read the log and viewed the rather provocative pictures by 1701eh I thought to myself that this guy really enjoys the game and is not afraid to show it.

Even just in August, I was fortunate to be able to answer a question he posted on the ‘Canadian Geopub Quiz’ portion of the Canada forum.

My thoughts are with the family. I know there will be rough roads ahead but it is clear that they are surrounded by family and friends who truly care for them.

Rory Brown

Nanaimo BC

wow, just saw this post. tony was pretty cool guy, he helped me out a few times on caches i was havng a hard time with. and me and him has some fun, with my cache revenge.

he was a very nice guy, always willing to lend a hand. or teach someone the ropes. I still dont know what to say, i fell like i was talking to him the other day.

Even though I am just now reading this, I wish to offer my condolences to his family. I had a friend who died in a car crash on August 24th of 2000. Even though it's been 6 years now, it still hurts... though it gets better as the years go on.

My thoughts are with his family and friends during this tragic time.

Sorry, I was away for the weekend so here are the updates (in order of receiving them).

First Update: 9/8/06 8:17 am::

Went to the hospital yesterday and Sue seems in good spirits.

She is still recovering in ICU...There are some concerns with blood pressure but we think that will be OK.

She was even able to sign some documents while we were there. She didn't have to, we could have signed them. But she insisted.

She passes on her thanks for all that everyone has done for her and her family and she really wants back out of the hospital and back to her life, friends and family.

We think her stay may be a little longer this time. She's just had major surgery and we are pretty sure the next step before they even think of releasing her will be out of ICU and to a "regular" room for her recovery process.

Off to see her again today. I'll update if there are any changes.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Second update: 9/8/06 3:30pm

Latest Sue News:

Went to the hospital today.

Sue is in great condition today. I was shocked when I saw her. Difficulty in breathing but very aware and alert.

Although, she is a little more doped than usual.

Because she was up in a chair today. Sitting for a good portion of the morning

She passed along her gratitude for all your support and looks forward to getting back on her feet and back into her routines.

They took out her breathing hose and she was told she can eat solids.

And of course, they bring her Mac and cheese. And apparently she hates the stuff. Didn't touch it, but had some tea, salad and fruit.

She's still in ICU but I think it’s more because they are waiting for somewhere to move her.

Although, they are monitoring her pretty close still.

Hopefully, she'll just keep getting better and better everyday. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Steve.

---------------------------------------------

Sunday - 10:24 am

As of Friday evening Sue was transferred to Ward 1B (the surgical ward at Credit Valley Hospital). She is recovering wonderfully, and is up to seeing visitors for a short period of time. It actually states when you enter into the ward about only staying for a short period of time. The visiting hours are 2:00 – 8:30 pm daily.

Thanks everyone,

Sandy

-----------------------------------------------

Went to see Sue again yesterday..(Saturday)

She's doing very well..

Out of ICU and into a Semi-Private room..

Lost most of the tubes except for the morphine and intravenous..

She ended up in a ward first and managed to walk across the hall under her own power when she got transferred to semi-private..

Eating solid food..Still picky about what kind..

A little dopey at times (from the morphine)..

But generally, very aware and alert..

She is constantly shocked by the support of everyone..And passes along her gratitude..

Seems like its just a matter of time to heal now..I will update more if anything changes or she leaves hospital etc, but for now its just seems to be a time thing..

Thanks again for all your support..

Steve..

Hello Everyone my mom is doing alot better, she is coming home tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (friday)

This is amazing , She even feels better. The doctor says she doesn't have namonia (even though

they told us she did 2 days ago) If anyone is coming to visit, Please not tomorrow since it is her first

day home, And When you come please don't stay for long time because alot of people will be coming,

And its tiering for her.

I also want to thank you all for being at the funeral, and reception, My dad knows how much you guys care.

He will be with us everywhere we go, Even on the trails! But the no one will ever forget his humour and his

smile, it just brought joy to everyone.

r.i.p daddy <3 love you forever and ever and ever times infinity and beyond.

Oh yea everyone at ghagaphap?? (spelling error) have fun, my brother is going.

From rebecca.

Hi everyone,

I just got back from seeing Sue this evening. She is looking much better, and will be arriving home tomorrow. She is pretty tired though from lack of sleep last night due to being transferred back to the ward room. Initially when she was transferred out of IUC they placed her in the ward room, then moved her to a semi-private room, then back to the ward last night, and now as of today she has a private room. It’s no wonder she’s tired out.

Anyhow, they took her off of the morphine yesterday, and she is managing with Tylenol 3s. They also removed the IV. Sue says that her ribs don’t hurt as much as they did before. She also mentioned that another doctor came in today and told her that she does not have pneumonia. She is up, walking around and looking forward to getting out of the hospital. It is expected that she probably won’t arrive home till late afternoon as she still has to have some procedures done before they release her.

Take care, everyone.

Sandy

We've seen a lot of kind words about Tony, and I wanted to take the time to share a bit about Sue.

My wife and I seem to seek out Sue at every event, almost immediately upon arrival. My wife spoke very highly of Sue during and after every event she attended, like as if they were family that only sees each other at the holidays. Every time Sherry (my wife) was at an event, just seeing Sue and talking to her made Sherry feel far more comfortable.

Sue always has a smile on her face, and a sparkle in her eyes. Delighted to listen to you, and delightful to listen to. Sue was always close by to share in the fun, sometimes like sharing a little secret, with that look of joyful awareness of something that was outside the notice of most people.

Love you Sue... keep getting better, and you don't have to eat the Kraft Dinner if you don't want to :)

:D The Blue Quasar

Colin and Sher

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Hello Everyone my mom is doing alot better, she is coming home tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (friday)

This is amazing , She even feels better. The doctor says she doesn't have namonia (even though

they told us she did 2 days ago) If anyone is coming to visit, Please not tomorrow since it is her first

day home, And When you come please don't stay for long time because alot of people will be coming,

And its tiering for her.

I also want to thank you all for being at the funeral, and reception, My dad knows how much you guys care.

He will be with us everywhere we go, Even on the trails! But the no one will ever forget his humour and his

smile, it just brought joy to everyone.

r.i.p daddy <3 love you forever and ever and ever times infinity and beyond.

Oh yea everyone at ghagaphap?? (spelling error) have fun, my brother is going.

From rebecca.

Rebecca, that is great news! Please pass our love on to her; we will miss seeing her at GHAGAFAP, but you can believe that we will be working very hard on sending good, healing vibes to her! You'll be surprised how much better she will get once she gets out of the hospital and away from the hospital food. Just what do they put into that jello anyhow?

Please continue to keep us updated; it is a joy to read your posts.

Deb aka Hiking Cockroachess

Oh wow, terrible news. I have not read the forums for a while and after reading about GHAGAFAP I got the hint that something had happened but not really said in writing. I myself never met 1701eh, but did communicate with him in writing both about his and my caches. His reputation lives on and he will be greatly missed. Reading these pages tonight brings to to tears.

I wish I met him.

Rest in peace Tony, and all the strength of friendship to the family Dawe.

I'm sorry that I never had a chance to meet Tony, but I'm very familiar with the caches that he had placed out there. (I've done 10 of his to this point).

My condolences to his family and friends.

It's always sad when a person passes untimely like this, and yet as a person of faith (as I am) I have great hope for the future.

Blessings to the family.

Jeff & Leslie

Tri_Again

Edited by Tri_Again