Hmm, should I delete this?

EraSeek

I don't usually post this sort of thing but..

Cache was archived in july 04

Log (new) is dated May 03

Cacher became member in... let's see... Feb 05

What to do, what to do...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...f4-9ae1be9e3837

Well his log wasn't a Haiku anyway. Seriously though did you get the logbook back? Is the name in it? Perhaps this is another instance of someone spinning off an separate account from a team. I see he has logged several other old/archived caches as well.

I suppose that is possible, and shows why I shouldn't do a post like this. Just reminded me of the guy who "stopped off on his way home from work" for a class five hydro cache. I E-mail the guy and ask.

You mean the guy with zero finds who attempted your 5/5 Ika Island cache and then flamed you aobut how dangerous it was? I remember that one too... :lol:

No, this was a different one. He logged union slough on the way home from work. Quick find. We went out (in a boat) and checked the log. He wasn't in it. He also logged some of my caches, but no name in the log book. I deleted it and he logged it again. He had a paid membership. Makes you wonder why people would bother to do such a thing. :lol:

I took a look at some of this grnpcacher's logs. They're not even spin-off logs from another user - there is no other account with logs for that day.

I wouldn't hold my breath about getting a satisfactory explanation from them. On the other hand, if you delete the log or just shrug it off makes no difference.

BTW, Haiku Duck cache was found by bona fide people twice after you archived it... might it still be there?

Did you see my reply to your note Criminal? :o

August 16 by EraSeek (1471 found)

And no, Criminal, it's not. But have you seen this guys profile page? :lol:

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

[upload an image for this log]

August 9 by Criminal (324 found)

I 'found' some velcro at Michael's Craft Store, is that enough?

Did you see my reply to your note Criminal? :o

August 16 by EraSeek (1471 found)

And no, Criminal, it's not. But have you seen this guys profile page? :lol:

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

[upload an image for this log]

August 9 by Criminal (324 found)

I 'found' some velcro at Michael's Craft Store, is that enough?

I looked, but what was I looking for?

I would want a story from the guy. Usually if people log even only a few months late they offer up a few words about their tardiness. That find log is way too skimpy for being over three years late. Their story might be quite interesting but I guess I'm thinking someone should have to put just a little more effort into a log that is that late.

In all honesty I'm pretty liberal with logs. I believe in the honor system. I figure I'll leave it in most cases to the cache finder to define what he thinks is a find. If it is a piece of velcro that was part of the cache, well that is up to him. For me, I gotta put my "X" on a logsheet. I know I should be harsher, but it's hard.

But there are 2 reasons I will delete a log every time! 1) dishonesty! 2) Lack of civility!

I just can't abide by such cr@#!. Hopefully this guy is just reconstructing a past account or something.

Hopefully this guy is just reconstructing a past account or something.

I would ask for an explanation. That way you're not guessing. The hard part, for me at least, is getting the job done without being confrontational. If he doesn't respond at all, delete it. If he does respond, but not satisfactorily, at least you're starting to get a handle on it.

eocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=979ddce5-0562-4a8c-91f4-9ae1be9e3837]http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...f4-9ae1be9e3837[/url]

I took a look at some of this grnpcacher's logs. They're not even spin-off logs from another user - there is no other account with logs for that day.

I wouldn't hold my breath about getting a satisfactory explanation from them. On the other hand, if you delete the log or just shrug it off makes no difference.

BTW, Haiku Duck cache was found by bona fide people twice after you archived it... might it still be there?

I doubt it very much. There have been bulldozers etc thru the area recently clearing out for the Target/Costco complex

I doubt it very much. There have been bulldozers etc thru the area recently clearing out for the Target/Costco complex

I was back in that corner of the park recently on my way to another nearby cache -- the location where Haiku Duck was hidden was still undisturbed on the park side of the barb wire fence. I did glance around but didn't see any sign of the old cache!

In all honesty I'm pretty liberal with logs. I believe in the honor system. I figure I'll leave it in most cases to the cache finder to define what he thinks is a find. If it is a piece of velcro that was part of the cache, well that is up to him. For me, I gotta put my "X" on a logsheet. I know I should be harsher, but it's hard.

But there are 2 reasons I will delete a log every time! 1) dishonesty! 2) Lack of civility!

I just can't abide by such cr@#!. Hopefully this guy is just reconstructing a past account or something.

I am too... (did I just admit to being a Liberal.... NO! I'll never live this down!).

If someone says they found my cache, absent evidence to the contrary I will believe them. However when they admit that they didn't find it and claim a find anyway... thats a different story.

RWW a liberal....who'da thunk...... :)

On topic, I just saw this post by Leprechauns over in the general forums. It was news to me (guess I should read those guidelines more closely) and seemed relevant to this discussion. (Sorry, I don't know how to link to a specific reply in a forum topic):

------------------[The Leprechauns]--------------------

This is right in the section of the geocache listing guidelines on Cache Maintenance:

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

It is phrased as a command, not a suggestion, and is part of the listing guidelines acknowledged by all cache hiders when they submit a cache. Quote this text when questioned about deleting a log, and say that you're just doing what the guidelines require you to do.

------------------------------------------------------------

It is phrased as a command, not a suggestion, and is part of the listing guidelines acknowledged by all cache hiders when they submit a cache. Quote this text when questioned about deleting a log, and say that you're just doing what the guidelines require you to do.

------------------------------------------------------------

"And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner . "

I perfer to see guidelines in this light. However I have no problm deleteing bogus or off color posts. I'll give the guy one more day to respond and then I'll delete, and hope everyone else does too.

I have a good friend of mine who just recently got an account (within the past 2 months). She found many with me back in June before she was a member. I thought it'd be o.k. for her to log in that she found them too, even though her membership didn't start until a while later. She of course, she didn't sign the log with me, but is it o.k. for her to log these as a find? or does she physically need to go back (a 3-4 hr trip for her one way) and log these in order to get the smiley? BTW, she hasn't logged any of them yet as a find.