What are your Most and Least visited caches....?

R.O.B

It's funny, when you put out caches you kind of have an idea of how hard it will be and how many people will visit it. But some times you can be way off.

For all the hiders out there, I'm interested to know what is your most visited cache and your least visited cache.

My most visited is Hey Mister, Are You Tall...?? 2.5 years, 150 finds.

My least is People Are Funny Critters 7 months, 6 finds

Fake-Out is my least-visited hasn't been found in months, but if you read the logs, you'll see some entertaining stuff from people from all over, then see logs by some locals who couldn't figure it out.

I'm not quite sure which is my most visited right now, but I'm expecting a large number of visitors for Maple Hill Monster due to it's quick and easy access from a major highway. The fact that it has 10 visitors and it's only 13 days old is pretty darn good for my area, as my oldest cache is just now going over 30 visits.

Okay. I compiled the list of my caches. Two years of history on some, and two weeks on others...

Most popular is the cache and dash at the scenic overlook, on the Interstate. No rusprise. 66 visits in two years. Not counting the two most recent, least popular are the evil mystery caches: Five visits since February and June. The hiking caches (~ 1 mile each way) are not too popular. (But, they are far superior caches!)

My most popular cache is Lame Roadside Cache #44 - Harriman Turnout in Vermont, with 162 finds in 2 1/2 years. Its in a little pull off with a halfway decent view of a reservoir.

Not including several 2006 hides of mine, there is a tie for my least found, The Den and Centurion.

Both have 9 visits in about 2 years. The Den is a pretty long hike, about 6 miles RT so that is understandable.

Centurion however is only .4 mile from the road and there is a pretty nice view at the cache site, so I'm surprised that its not more popular. I guess it doesn't get many finds because there are no other caches nearby and most people aren't willing to get out of their car and only bag one smiley.

I have a few caches with fewer than 9 finds but they were placed within the past 4 months so I'm not counting them.

Edited by briansnat

CheshireFrog's Pin-Up has been found 33 times since it was published May 23rd. It's a Puzzle/Multi in Ute Valley that involves a hike of ~1 mile out and back. One reason for the relatively high find count is the cache density and fabulous views the valley offers.

Helena's Deadwood Foreign Exchange is a traditional cache at the end of a quarter mile hike that ends on four-star terrain. It was published August 9th, and, not surprisingly, has only been found four times.

I keep crazy stats on my own caches. One of those stats are the number of days between finds. For those caches which have been out more than a year the most visited is A Micro Cache in a Micro Park which with 61 finds is averaging about one find every 8 days. The least visited cache is my Fiske Peak Cache which is averaging about 1 find every 235 days for a total of 2 finds.

One is located on a busy city street. The other is a 5 hour round trip hike from the trailhead. Guess which is which? :lol:

Edited by Team Dromomania

Least Visited:

Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes was posted on July 16, 2002 and still has no finders. It is a virtual in a National Park, but a relatively remote one in Alaska.

Least Visited (but at least found once):

Mount Roothaan Geocache was posted on June 26, 2001 and has had just 14 finders (about 2.7 finders per year). It is about a 4-mile round-trip hike in a fairly remote part of Idaho.

Most Visited:

Potluck & Quilting Bee Memorial Cache was posted on November 30, 2001. It is a short walk in a county park here in Redmond, Washington. To date, it has had 364 finders - about 77 per year.

All of ours are in a major city (Seattle).

Our Volunteer Park (GCHC56) has had 345 visits since its 12/25/03 placing (Its a hot place to drop off travel bugs too). Its a regular sized ammo can located in a very urban park.

Our New Holly (GCKGHA) has only had 80 visits since its 09/04 placing. That cache along with three others of ours are in the SE section of the city. Its had a reputation for being rough at times, but now the reputation is limited to very small pockets of the area/individual streets. Stereotypes die hard.

What I consider my best cache......is directly over a major freeway through California. I was actually quite concerned that it might be visited TOO often, so I made about 10 "extras" as I set up the first cast.

Its been there a year, less then 10 finders. I wonder why! Is it maybe because of the 4 star rating? Folks come through town and find my lame ones, but not this one, that is quite an easy off, easy on from the freeway.

I also wonder if maybe folks just wont post a DNF.

My most popular is a trip to a local park containing a hidden duckpond. My least popular involves finding over a dozen public telephone boxes (the traditional British red ones) whch then provide the clues for a Cluedo (Clue)

style murder mystery involving "Miss Scarlet", "The Dagger" and the rest of them. Only a few people have been mad enough to attempt it.

Our most visited cache is our first cache placed, Eastdale Starter Micro - yes its a micro, but only one of two micros we have and there really arent many micros in town so I guess its more of a novelty. It has 83 visits in nearly 15 months with almost all of them being finds. We have another with 87 visits, but quite a number of them are re-visits to trade travel bugs, so it clearly doesnt have quite as many finds.

We have a two way tie between the least found caches: DON'T PANIC: #15 - HEART OF GOLD and Comfortably Numbers have each been found only once each. They are our only two active mystery caches, which have limited interest in this area. Even our latest cache placed had more finds than that within 4 hours of being published. I don't think i have ever seen a cache within 80 miles of here that has had a triple digit number of visits so that is pretty much the extremes for the region as well as our personal extremes.

:ph34r:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R.O.B @ Aug 28 2006, 01:00 PM) 2433098[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

For all the hiders out there, I'm interested to know what is your most visited cache..... and your least visited cache.

My most visited cache is:

Silver Lining 110 visits

(Toe)tally kick it up a notch! 84 visits

My least visited cache is:

The Sky’s the Limit 11 visits

Edited by ChaseOnTheGo

My least visited cache with a total of 9 finds in 6 actual visits since 2003 is: (Welll, it is smack in the middle of BFE.)

Row vs. Wade (or possibly deliverance?)

At just 150 feet away, my terracache, "Banjo Music aka Why is Daddy Crying?" has only been visited once.

More on these caches can be found here.

My most popular cache by far with 245 users currently watching it:

Quantum Leap

I have been setting caches as I travel around small remote militray bases in Afghanistan. They are listed as dangerous and not kid friendly for good reason. I had a rocket land 30 yards from one while I was checking on it. I think some of my Afghani caches may never be foundbut it is still cool that some one who is in those remote spots may get to have a little fun hunting them! If you ever make it to Bermel, Lawara, Shkin or Orgun-E Afghanistan do not forget to bring your GPS!

My most visited is Aim for the Bulls Eye 135 Finds in 2 years

My least visited is Junior Math in the Highland Community 19 finds in 1 year

It all depends on where the caches are located......my most visited cache is in a cluster of 100+ caches in Chattanooga Tennessee! My least visited cache is in the middle of nowhere with only a small scraping of caches in the area.

It all comes down to.....people prefer the numbers over the quality! My best caches are the ones that aren't found that often.

It all comes down to.....people prefer the numbers over the quality! My best caches are the ones that aren't found that often.

Same here. Its rather disheartening to spend a lot of time coming up with something fresh and innnovative only to have it be largely ignored because it isn't a PnG. :)

Same here. Its rather disheartening to spend a lot of time coming up with something fresh and innnovative only to have it be largely ignored because it isn't a PnG. :)

Doesn't bother me at all. Less visits means less maintainance.

I actually over value the difficulty and terrain on some of my caches, so only the better prepared finders will seek them. :D

I actually over value the difficulty and terrain on some of my caches, so only the better prepared finders will seek them. :lol:

So why is it I was able to find every 5-star cache of yours I looked for over the weekend, and couldn't even claim a find on your 1.5-star virtual??? :lol:

Perhaps you weren't able to get in touch with your inner child. :lol: BTW- Been meanin' to send congrats on the milestone. I'm honored that you chose one of mine. :lol::lol:

61356fc3-f133-4673-9e72-e7c30ab536bc.jpg

af2c120f-ee1d-4804-8a1e-ba7f3d37964b.jpg

Heck, it even shows up on the satellite image. :lol::lol:

Thanks, Snoogans! I've been meaning to get out and find some of your Mammoth caches for a looooong time. We had a blast out there.

I saw the dragon with only minimal trouble (once we got past the early-morning shadows) but the camera doesn't do well with almost zero light and an operator who isn't yet proficient at adjusting the shutter speed on his new camera. But no worries--I don't need a smiley to prove I had fun.

On the other hand...hey, can I post the satellite image and get credit? :lol:

Okay, back on topic: I too have come to agree that getting two fantastic logs a year on a far-flung cache is much more satisfying than getting 100 logs a year on a lamppost hide.

Thanks, Snoogans! I've been meaning to get out and find some of your Mammoth caches for a looooong time. We had a blast out there.

Okay, back on topic: I too have come to agree that getting two fantastic logs a year on a far-flung cache is much more satisfying than getting 100 logs a year on a lamppost hide.

That's my main motivation to hide a cache. Quality + Adventure= Very verbose logs for the most part. You don't find too many TNLNTFTC logs on my caches unless it was someone from a large group with nothing more to add to what had already been posted by others in their party.

However, I wish to try my hand at every kind of hide and I DO plan to do a skirt lifter sooner or later. I just haven't found one that is snooganesque enough to do that yet.

I have very fond memories of my first skirt lifter find on the river walk in Laughlin, Nv.

On the other hand...hey, can I post the satellite image and get credit? :blink:

Nope. :tired:

Edited by Snoogans