City Navigator vs City Select for 76CSx

WestWind

I picked up a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx to replace my older GPSmap 76 unit. I would like to be able to use it in my truck for driving and directions.

Garmin offers City Navigator and City Select, and according to their site both will work in my unit. The question is, which is really the right one to get?

Ii can not find a place to really compare the 2 products so any info you might offer would be great!

Thanks,

westwind

I picked up a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx to replace my older GPSmap 76 unit. I would like to be able to use it in my truck for driving and directions.

Garmin offers City Navigator and City Select, and according to their site both will work in my unit. The question is, which is really the right one to get?

Ii can not find a place to really compare the 2 products so any info you might offer would be great!

Thanks,

westwind

Actually they only offer City Navigator. City Select was discontinued after V7. The current version is V8. If you buy City Select V7 now Garmin will give you a free upgrade to City Navigator V8.

The basic difference was City Select had smaller map segments than City Nav. That allowed those people running limited memory units to be able to use the software. CN V8 is something of a compromise--The segments are larger than they were is CS, but not so large as to be unusable.

Thanks,

westwind

Actually they only offer City Navigator. City Select was discontinued after V7. The current version is V8. If you buy City Select V7 now Garmin will give you a free upgrade to City Navigator V8.

The basic difference was City Select had smaller map segments than City Nav. That allowed those people running limited memory units to be able to use the software. CN V8 is something of a compromise--The segments are larger than they were is CS, but not so large as to be unusable.

Also, if you want to be able to get the whole U.S. on a 1 GB memory card, get the NT version of City Navigator.