Caching Trip To Flat Holm

In conjunction with Write and Mane I am trying to organise a trip to Flat Holm.

There is a CACHE on the island and if numbers warrant it then I will post this as an event cache as well.

The trip to Flat Holm will probably be on Sunday 17th September, leaving Barry at 12.20 P.M and arriving back at 4.40 P.M. The cost as yet is unconfirmed, but is likely to be in the region of £20.00 per person. The boat is unsuitable for children under 5 years of age and has limited capacity so obviously this would have to be first come first served.

If you are interested in the trip please let me know via my profile so that I can check availability and finalise costs.

Dave – The Gecko’s

Edited by Deceangi

We are now up to about 20 confirmed places.

I will check tomorrow on how much space is available on the boat and let everyone know.

When I am able to confirm if sufficient space is available I will submit an event cache for approval.

If anyone else is interested it would be helpful if they could let me know before tomorrow.

Dave - The Gecko's

We contacted the Flat Holm office today and there are insufficient places available on the 17th September.

They do however have 38 places available on Sunday 15th October so we plan on rearranging the visit for that date.

The boat leaves at 10.10 A.M. and arrives back at 2.30 P.M. which gives us about 3 hours on the island. We have reserved 25 places for that day and need to confirm exact numbers tomorrow morning.

For anyone able to confirm that they want to visit the island, we will book and pay for those tickets tomorrow morning. The cost is £14.00 per adult £6.75 per child and a family ticket for 2 adults and 2 children costs £35.00. After tomorrow morning anyone wanting to visit can contact the Flat Holm office on 01446 747661 to book direct.

Remember that there is limited food available on the island so a packed lunch would be a good idea.

Sorry to have to change the plan.

Dave - The Gecko's

I have now booked 18 places as follows:-

Satellite Kid One Adult

Celebr8 One Adult and One Child

The Brat Pack Two Adults and Two Children

The Flying Boots Two Adults

Sniffadogz Two Adults

Simply Paul One Adult

Flying420UK One Adult

Write and Mane Three Adults

The Gecko's Two Adults

If I have missed anyone off the list then please let me know.

I have kept an option on some more places until Tuesday so if anyone else wants to come along then get in touch and I can add you to the booking.

Included in the trip is a guided tour of the island. There is only a very small shop on the island so it is best to bring a snack lunch with you.

I have asked what will happen in the event of cancellation owing to rough seas and have been told that on average they cancel about five of the hundred or so sailings per year. It is often up to the group in question as to how they feel about a rough crossing and if the group is happy then generally they will go. Strong Easterly winds are a problem when landing and this is the reason why most sailings are cancelled. In the event of cancellation you can have a full refund.

I am also arranging a meet afterwards at a local pub. This will allow those who are not keen on boats to be included as well. More details to follow when the cache is published in the meantime if anyone has any questions then just ask.

Dave - The Gecko's

Dave,

I have now managed to get time off in October, could you please secure one of the additional places for me.

I'm unable to send mail through your profile at the moment, but will try again from home later.

Cheers

Jonathan (Zetetic)

Jonathan

Good news that you can make it. I have added you to the list, also added The Blorenges this morning bringing a total of 21.

If anyone else is having difficulty contacting me through my profile then you can email me directly at geocachingntlworld.com - Don’t forget to put the @ in the right place!

Dave - The Gecko's

Any chance of 1 adult and 1 child place Please ?

You have an email as well :)

Matrix

I have added you to the booking.

I have also added five places for The Great Redmondo and one for Andy33 bringing the total to 29. There are still six places available on the boat so if anyone else would like to come along then please let me know.

Dave - The Gecko's

We contacted the Flat Holm office today and there are insufficient places available on the 17th September.

They do however have 38 places available on Sunday 15th October so we plan on rearranging the visit for that date.

The boat leaves at 10.10 A.M. and arrives back at 2.30 P.M. which gives us about 3 hours on the island...

I see no problem :)

Is a cache event page going to be set up for this meet so it'll remind me not to forget to come? :)

Paul

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been away for a few days.

I hope to submit the event for approval soon but for the event to be approved it must be free attend. It is possible that the boat trip could cause problems with regard to this as the boat has to be paid for.

I am therefore trying to arrange a meet at a local pub for when we get back from the island. This will also give other people who are not keen on boat trips the chance to meet up. I thought this was all sorted but the pub I had in mind has been in touch and said that they feel the numbers may be too much for them to handle on a Sunday so I am trying to sort out an alternative. As soon as I have arranged this I will submit the event for approval.

In the meantime if you have any other questions just ask.

Dave - The Gecko's

So, let me get this right....

...the 'event' is fully booked thereby falling foul of the following guideline:

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers

and as far as I can see it's an excuse to grab a cache on the Island, thus this guideline is breached:

an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache

and as far as I can see it's an excuse to grab a cache on the Island, thus this guideline is breached:

an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache

I think that the idea of it being an event was discounted and that a pub was being sought on the mainland to allow for this

Edited because I misread the second point and dont know if it breaks the rules or not

Edited by Matrix

Found it

Is a cache event page going to be set up for this meet so it'll remind me not to forget to come? :o

Paul

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been away for a few days.

I hope to submit the event for approval soon but for the event to be approved it must be free attend. It is possible that the boat trip could cause problems with regard to this as the boat has to be paid for.

I am therefore trying to arrange a meet at a local pub for when we get back from the island. This will also give other people who are not keen on boat trips the chance to meet up. I thought this was all sorted but the pub I had in mind has been in touch and said that they feel the numbers may be too much for them to handle on a Sunday so I am trying to sort out an alternative. As soon as I have arranged this I will submit the event for approval.

In the meantime if you have any other questions just ask.

Dave - The Gecko's

Perhaps I should make things crystal clear so that no one misunderstands what is going on.

A group of cachers are getting together for a trip to Flat Holm. The trip includes a boat trip to and from the island, a tour around the island and as an added bonus we should be able to log one micro cache.

After the trip there will be an event cache which will probably be at a local pub. Details of this will be published as soon as we are able to finalise a suitable location. The event will be open to anyone who wants to attend, will have no limit on the number of people who can attend and will be completely free of charge.

As a precaution some time ago I discussed this event cache with one of our approvers and they have replied saying that if the above format is followed then there should be no breach of guidelines.

If anyone else has any further concerns please let me know.

Dave – The Gecko’s

The cache has recently been published and is available Here

The following are booked on the trip to Flat Holm and I have a waiting list in case any more spaces become available.

Sat Kid x 1

Celeb8 x 2

The Blorenges x 2

The Brat Pack x 4

The Flying Boots x 2

Sniffadogz x 2

Zetetic x 1

Simply Paul x 1

Write and Mane x 3

The Geckos x 2

Flying420UK x 1

Matrix x 2

The Great Redmondo x 5

If anyone needs any more details please let me know.

Dave - The Gecko's

*** Bad news folks! ***

I've just got off the phone with Dave - the trip to the island has had to be called off due to expected poor weather tomorrow. Which is a pain! I understand the pub meet and local caching is still on though. Dave hopes to organise a trip to Flat Holm (and possibly Steep Holm too) next year, so keep an eye on the forums for updates.

There was always the chance the trip to the Island would get cancelled due to weather. Better than getting stuck there. That happened to someone Lynne knows once. But we are both looking forward to seeing everyone at the pub tomorrow after doing a couple of caches in the morning :laughing: - and that grub looks fantastic. ;) See you all there… ;)

We had a fantastic day out at this event today.

Met lots of friends we'd met before and made new friends as well. Plus a number of new caches set for the day, some we did today and some we decided to leave for another day.

Thanks to the Gecko's and Write and Mane for organising this.

It was a pity the boat trip was cancelled but hopefully we'll be on the next one. B):(B)