Thanks

Jackplug

A big thank you to all Derbyshire cacher setters, We have just spent A week in hills and found 30 caches, some easy some hard. But this is such A wonderful place to cache as we love the the rocky trails.

We did this on (the viking hoard) for us this is quite strenuous and the forth of the day, We wet and dead on our feet had just got in to the car after changing caching gear and boots to find that I had left the GPSR at the cache site.

I can tell you all I am not A rich man but did consider buying A new one, but I put back on my wet cloths and done it all again.

Thanks again to all those cache setters. :laughing::)

Ps Has any one else been so daft.

Kevin

Yep! We have just done that...did a cache in Morcambe Bay on Friday. Stopped to have a celebration icecream and hubby put the gpsr on the seat to stop it falling out of his pocket. Yes, we got up and walked away without it! Didn't even think about where it was until we had driven about 20 miles back towards to where we were staying, decided to stop for a picnic and discovered the dreadful deed. Needless to say, we chucked the lunch boxes at the kids, told them to eat in the car and we raced back to Morecambe. As you can guess the gpsr had gone and had not been handed into any shops or police. All I can say is I am glad it was hubby that did it or I would never ever have heard the last of it. Now having to look for a replacement...have TB's and coins to place and more caches nearby to do! Can't decide at the moment whether to upgrade or buy the same as we lost. One very sad caching family here! :P

A sad thread indeed...if you've lost your gps,then now is the time to upgrade I say! It'll help relieve the pain by having a new toy to play with...As to me being more daft then usual..I dropped a motorbike glove on a very wet day,so had to turn around and add another 2 miles to a hard days walking. :P ..and another time I walked about a mile to the next cache,only to discover I still had the logbook from the previous cache in my pocket. :) This caching lark can be good excercise sometimes. :)

Yep! We have just done that...did a cache in Morcambe Bay on Friday. Stopped to have a celebration icecream and hubby put the gpsr on the seat to stop it falling out of his pocket. Yes, we got up and walked away without it! Didn't even think about where it was until we had driven about 20 miles back towards to where we were staying, decided to stop for a picnic and discovered the dreadful deed. Needless to say, we chucked the lunch boxes at the kids, told them to eat in the car and we raced back to Morecambe. As you can guess the gpsr had gone and had not been handed into any shops or police. All I can say is I am glad it was hubby that did it or I would never ever have heard the last of it. Now having to look for a replacement...have TB's and coins to place and more caches nearby to do! Can't decide at the moment whether to upgrade or buy the same as we lost. One very sad caching family here! :P

Would your house contents insurance cover it ?

Don't think the insurance would cover it as it was not left in a secure place. Does anyone know of anybody that has managed to lose something and claim successfully for it?

A friend of mine left her 'the north face' jacket in a changing room in a shop and successfully got a claim of her house in insurance. now what she said on the claim form i have no idea.

I'm aware of one cacher (who will remain nameless :anicute: ) who left his/her GPS on the roof of the car and drove off. Only for it to fall bouncing onto the floor and be trashed by a following vehicle. Who received a brand new unit of his Home Insurance, it's worth making a general inquiry to them.

Yep, left mine on my car roof. Insurance agreed a replacement straight away I only had to give them the 'crime reference number' (probably a different name, as it wasn't a crime, anyway, number from the cop-shop). The only hassle was that their ususal outfit for replacing electronic items had never even heard of handhelp GPSRs. Terrible really, they sent me a cheque for the full reatil value within five days, gutted I was :)

Well still haven't heard from Norwich Union , however...on the same day as Hubby's new Legend Cx turned up (having decided to bite the bullet and treat himself to a new one anyway) a letter dropped through the door from an elderly gentleman's daughter, saying that her father had found a gps in the village but not knowing what it was, asked for their advice. They worked out what it was and how to turn it on. Thankfully my hubby had taken the time to update the ownership details with our new address and the couple were able to contact us. To cut a long story short our old gps turned up today safe and well. Needless to say we will not being claiming on the insurance but do want to know if we are covered for this type of thing. Top tip, do take the time to enter ownership details into your gps as you never know one day it might come in useful. It has restored our faith in human nature to see it safely returned and will refund the postage and give the elderly gent a reward for his honesty.

Don't think the insurance would cover it as it was not left in a secure place. Does anyone know of anybody that has managed to lose something and claim successfully for it?

I had my pda in my pocket and squeezed through a fence, only to hear a crack ! Result smashed screen.

Contacted the house insurance, and they supplied a replacement (same model) free of charge with a £25 excess within 7 days !

Not quite the same but close !

Still have the smashed one, they never asked for it back !

Edited by harrogate hunters

Did a 5 mile round run of 6 caches got back to car to find .... no car key. Had to retrace the route all the way back to the first cache where it was in the grass next to the cache!!!!. I now zip it in the bum bag,....

don't mention lost car keys to MrsPP!! Staying with some friends for the weekend in Cardiff many years ago(pre-caching, no time for that sort of thing now...) and we went to the Brecons for a day of walking, sledging, snowballs and general fun! After a long walk back to the car, worrying about the fact it was getting dark, I discovered my car keys were missing. No chance of finding them in 2 foot of snow somewhere on Pen-y-Fan so my friends dad came and picked us up, returned to the house, where I phoned my wife in London to ask her to jump on a train and come to Cardiff, at 8pm on a sunday night, and bring the spare keys! She'd just got back from Southampton and was more than a little annoyed!

We finally got back to London at 2am and I'm still doing the washing up as punishment!

Log 1:

16:30Parked car, jogged to cache, found nice and easily. Took TB, left Magellan Sportrak Pro.

Off to Hemel...

Log 2:

16:35Pulled out of services, realised GPS not in holster...

16:50

After driving like Michael Schmacher (when he used to WIN races...) dived south, north then south again BACK to the services and ran to the cache location.

Took Magellan Sportrak, fortunatly found exactly where I'd left it on top of the armco barrier!

I blame Alibags for texting me when I was leaving the cache site the first time :tired:

Did a 5 mile round run of 6 caches got back to car to find .... no car key. Had to retrace the route all the way back to the first cache where it was in the grass next to the cache!!!!. I now zip it in the bum bag,....

I did a similar thing: walked for miles (no car) down country lanes and along a very pebbly beach to get onto the cliff path. Had to put the Geko in my jeans pocket (it was only its second ever trip out with me) so that I could work my way across a gap by holding on to the fence. It was a really hot day in July this year and the sun was beating down on my head. Needed lunch and a drink of water but wanted to reach the cache site so kept going. Finally got to the edge of the field and over the stile, the cache was in my sights. then realised I had no Geko to home in on it - it had fallen out of my pocket. :D

By this time I was near to collapse. Had to walk all the way back and retrace my steps. Nothing.. I was devasatated! Decided to go back and do the cache anyway and have some lunch and a drink. as I walked back along the top of the path I decided to poke around in the long grass with my stick, and I hit on a black thing. Given that my Geko is bright green I was not that bothered, until it rolled over.. bingo! :)

Like you, I now always return the Geko to the bumbag and zip it tight! I am looking for some hologram tape to put on the back, just in case. I have no insurance so it's very precious.

As soon as I learned how to do it, I put my contact details on the start up page. No reason for anyone to keep it then.

Glad to hear that the original lost GPS was returned. :)

My wedding ring on the 4th day of our honeymoon......... :)

If anyone goes to Batang Ai in Borneo it's somehwere in the jungle, if you wouldn't having a quick look. :D

Our travel insurance covered less than 30% of the cost of a replacement and by luck they asked us to contact our house insurers. Churchill's stumped up all of it - except the £40 excess!

Contact them - you have nothing to lose.

Edited by Nick & Ali