Cemetery Caches Now banned on GC.com

I wish I knew before I went through the trouble of creating and trying to list my new cache but it appears that new cemetery caches are on the most part not allowed. So all those who enjoy these caches hurry and do as many as you can before they start archiving them all. Oh well theres more than one way to skin a cat, ill just leave it there and do as a private cache to give to cachers I meet. After all its about the fun and not just the numbers. Has anyone else had cemetery caches listed or refused recently??

It wont be long before someone talks about how it is our fault in South Carolina for this, so let me make it clear. The bill last year was to cripple geocaching in South Carolina, 99.9% of the claims made to support the bill were lies. The author of the bill even said she did not have solid proof that the damage in one cemetery was casued by geocachers or not.

I've done cemetery caches before so don't start moaning and groaning I do not know what I am talking about. If you place a cache on a headstone or even better, that little flower pot on the gravemark then yes I hope GC.com says no.

::flamesuit on::

Edited by geoholic28

"Oh well theres more than one way to skin a cat, ill just leave it there and do as a private cache to give to cachers I meet."

:laughing::):unsure:

Very nice attitude considering this is your first cache to be placed. Perhaps you would like to communicate with your reviewer as to why the cache wasn't approved.

Edited by LadeBear68
I wish I knew before I went through the trouble of creating and trying to list my new cache but it appears that new cemetery caches are on the most part not allowed. So all those who enjoy these caches hurry and do as many as you can before they start archiving them all. Oh well theres more than one way to skin a cat, ill just leave it there and do as a private cache to give to cachers I meet. After all its about the fun and not just the numbers. Has anyone else had cemetery caches listed or refused recently??

Simple question---Did you talk with anyone prior to turning the cache in to get reviewed about permission to place that cache?

Simple question---Did you talk with anyone prior to turning the cache in to get reviewed about permission to place that cache?

My guess...... NO!! :laughing:

TheBouvia's, you might want to take a few steps back and READ the reviewer notes on the cache page, your cache was NOT archive because of it being in a Cemetery

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

left out NOT

Edited by Max Cacher

gad, don't scare me like that! I love cemetery caches, they are some of my favorites and I still have some planned for the future for my haunts and legends series of caches. Aside from my Alien Alphabet puzzles, some of my most popular caches have been the cemetery ones.

I would really like to know why it was archieved. Here in Indiana we have a series in cemeteries that has grown to over 500 caches and cemeteries. It has also spread to 3 other states. My profile has the series and cachers names involved. :laughing:

I'm not sure it was archived (despite Max Cacher's comments); it sounds to me like it was a new listing that was not approved. Cemetery could be right next to RR tracks for all we know. :)

I would really like to know why it was archieved. Here in Indiana we have a series in cemeteries that has grown to over 500 caches and cemeteries. It has also spread to 3 other states. My profile has the series and cachers names involved. :laughing:

Call of the dogs, Team GCHound. Cemetery caches are not banned on the site. If the owner would like to disclose the contents of the reviewer notes, he can, but the cache can be listed if he follows through with the request/suggestion in that note. :)

I don't believe it was archived as it was never published on gc.com. A reviewer has already stated that the cache being placed in a cemetery was not the reason for its failure.
I'm not sure it was archived (despite Max Cacher's comments); it sounds to me like it was a new listing that was not approved. Cemetery could be right next to RR tracks for all we know. :laughing:

Unpublished caches can be archived.

FYI, when a reviewer makes the final call and set a cache so that it will not be listed, when they tell the owner that its done and they are finished, the cache is Archived. I'm not sure where the concept that only listed caches can be archived came from but it is not correct. Archived is the correct term.

As an aside, the reviewer posted on the cache page that if the OP was willing to fix the reason the cache was not listed he would be happy to list the cache.

Edited by CO Admin

Ive been to cemetery caches were im sure the placers have not asked permision, for one im sure the cemetery wouldnt want them right next to a grave like a few ive been on ,but here is part of the response I got about mine

"All geocaches are required to have permission before placement. In most cases we as reviewers are willing to assume you have permission. However due to the sensitive nature of cemeteries I ask if permission was granted. In South Carolina cemetery caches became such an issue the state legislature has banned all geocaching in cemeteries throughout the state. I don't think you, me or anyone would like to see New York state take such drastic steps. Its important that those in charge of our cemeteries are aware they are hosting a geocache."

I was very repectfull in the placing of my cache it is not within about 30-50 feet of a grave , I also have many family members burried in this cemetery. My idea is like many of the cemtery caches to get people to see some of the historic graves and stones from people who have formed my community. I explained this to the reviewer. I also filed for an appeal and was told there is no appeal the revierer ha smade the decision even though it states in the listing rules of 1995 that it can be appealed. Im new to geocaching and just want the rights that other mebers have. And i know many people will say well are you a paying member , yes I am. I would like to support the geocaching community. And yes i will be seeking someone in charge of the cemetery then hopefully that will be satisfactory enough for that particular reviewer. ill get a statement from the grounds keeper and e-mail it since they probably wouldnt believe me anyways.

In South Carolina cemetery caches became such an issue the state legislature has banned all geocaching in cemeteries throughout the state

Please please please show me where you are getting this from???????????????????

Once the issues arose last year the geocaching community took it upon us to remove all caches located in cemteries, there never was a bill and no offical state ban was put into place. Out of respect though the geocaching community has agreed not to place anymore caches in cemeteris cause plenty of more historical places are open to use and can have full permission granted for caches in those location.

On another note if the Moderator could edit the topic I meant that as a question not a statment as can be gleamed from the second 1/2 of the topic asking if others have run into the same thing or not. it was not meant derogatory. And yes I tryed working with the reviewer and it didnt seem like he was being helpfull to me. As I said I am new and I was just looking for more insight and folowing what the listing rules said . It mentioned the appeal e-mail mentioned working with the reviewer and posting in the fourums. I was trying to do the right thing and used all 3 methods. rember at one time everyone on here was new and had to learn the ropes. Thank you.

Geocaching was NOT banned anywhere in the state of South Carolina. Statements like this that were not researched but were just taken as truth were part of the problem we had. Though I don't agree with hiding in a cemetery the OP as the right to pursue this. I also don't agree with lamp post micros but some folks love them. To each his own. Get your facts straight.

X

In South Carolina cemetery caches became such an issue the state legislature has banned all geocaching in cemeteries throughout the state

Please please please show me where you are getting this from???????????????????

Once the issues arose last year the geocaching community took it upon us to remove all caches located in cemteries, there never was a bill and no offical state ban was put into place. Out of respect though the geocaching community has agreed not to place anymore caches in cemeteris cause plenty of more historical places are open to use and can have full permission granted for caches in those location.

This was cut right from the response from my reviewer.

Ok hold on...TheBouvia's--you are saying that came word from word from your reviewer

Well I guess I am. Incorrect is after all incorrect. With all due respect.

X

I am not upset at anyone in particular, I am just upset when things are put out that are not toally correct and really upset giving the fact I live in South Carolina and I know all the hard work, time, sweat, and effort that was put in behind the scenes from geocachers who tried to battle the bill and in the end worked it down to something more workable. It never passed the senate so yeah if someone got high enough permission I'm sure a cemetery cache could be posted in South Carolina. However out of respect to everyone on both sides of the bill we have moved pass that and have found many other great locations both historical and scenic to hide caches.

This thread has become a trainwreck jumping all over the topic and from what I've gathered the OP got a cemetry cache turned down for whatever reasons and trying to work it out now, so unless this horse has anymore life in it, which I doubt, lets stop beating it and move on.

Yes I want to do the right thing and I will seek permision if I dont recieve it I will do a multi like alot of people do and have it off grounds. I know the reviewer was just doing his job. And for those who may have thoughtI lied about what the revier said here is the whole message which I hope im alloud to post.This was after I asked what was taking so long to post my listing so I took it as the reviewer thought I was rushing him. I also didnt understand how people who had caches that are right on gravestones could have them listed and mine that was very repectfull to the graves wasnt. As a new person I felt persicuted. Thanks to all for youre responses and listing to my rants and raves. im glad we have these fourums to voice oure concerns and get both sides of the storie.

August 27 by New York Admin (0 found)

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache.

The above was copied directly from the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines (visit link)

All geocaches are required to have permission before placement. In most cases we as reviewers are willing to assume you have permission. However due to the sensitive nature of cemeteries I ask if permission was granted. In South Carolina cemetery caches became such an issue the state legislature has banned all geocaching in cemeteries throughout the state. I don't think you, me or anyone would like to see New York state take such drastic steps. Its important that those in charge of our cemeteries are aware they are hosting a geocache.

Since you seem unwilling to ask permission for your new cemetery cache placement I'm archiving it. If in the future you do obtain proper permission this cache may be unarchived.

Thanks,

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Geocaching.com

I am not upset at anyone in particular, I am just upset when things are put out that are not toally correct and really upset giving the fact I live in South Carolina and I know all the hard work, time, sweat, and effort that was put in behind the scenes from geocachers who tried to battle the bill and in the end worked it down to something more workable. It never passed the senate so yeah if someone got high enough permission I'm sure a cemetery cache could be posted in South Carolina. However out of respect to everyone on both sides of the bill we have moved pass that and have found many other great locations both historical and scenic to hide caches.

This thread has become a trainwreck jumping all over the topic and from what I've gathered the OP got a cemetry cache turned down for whatever reasons and trying to work it out now, so unless this horse has anymore life in it, which I doubt, lets stop beating it and move on.

Yeah I agree. And not because you do most of the driving.

We have moved past this particular subject down here but still walk on eggshells around it. I myself have permission to hide one in a particular area that is a gravesite. I don't. Know why? More trouble. In the end the reviewers word is law as far as placement goes in most situations. So I am sorry if yours does not get placed, but, rules are rules.

X

My first hidden cache was in a cemetery. I designed a great container, got it all set, and called one of the cemetery board members, a neighbor of mine. I told him what I had planned, and that it would be away from the headstones, actually behind the caretaker's building. He said that it would be no problem, so I set the cache, and listed it the next day. Several people found it, and I was having fun, until two days later, the board member called me back to say that one of the other members (the caretaker, I think) didn't want the cache there, and would cause trouble if it wasn't taken out. I imediatly archived the cache, and removed it.

Lessons learned:

1 ALWAYS get ALL permission first! I kinda 'jumped the gun'.

2 In a cemetery, be sure to get permission from the caretaker. He's the one that will worry about running into an ammo can with the lawnmower.

Cemeteries are very sensitive places. I like to do caches there, but I don't think the general public would understand if they saw a car pull up, and a cacher jump out and start searching through the bushes, then race off in persuit of the next one.

We can help, by eliminating cemetery caches from our 'power trail' lists, and conducting our searches in a reverant manner.

In South Carolina cemetery caches became such an issue the state legislature has banned all geocaching in cemeteries throughout the state.

Thanks,

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Geocaching.com

Not entirely true. There was an attempt to ban certain geocaching, and related, activities by the legislature, but the bill failed to pass the Senate. The original author is still in office and may attempt it again. Yes, cemeteries are sensitive areas, but are not off limits in South Carolina, legally or otherwise.

EDIT TO ADD: even if the bill had passed, it still allowed for placement with written permission. So, even then it would not have been outlawed outright. Of course, written permission is not a desirable end result for several reasons. Anyone interested should do a search on the subject to get further acquainted with said issues.

Edited by CoyoteRed

There mus be a hundred of them around here but I don"t know if any new ones. I llike them and I know where there is one I'm going to put one.

In South Carolina cemetery caches became such an issue the state legislature has banned all geocaching in cemeteries throughout the state.

Thanks,

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Geocaching.com

Not entirely true. There was an attempt to ban certain geocaching, and related, activities by the legislature, but the bill failed to pass the Senate. The original author is still in office and may attempt it again. Yes, cemeteries are sensitive areas, but are not off limits in South Carolina, legally or otherwise.

EDIT TO ADD: even if the bill had passed, it still allowed for placement with written permission. So, even then it would not have been outlawed outright. Of course, written permission is not a desirable end result for several reasons. Anyone interested should do a search on the subject to get further acquainted with said issues.

I find it interesting that according to her biography she was active in the Women in the Outdoors organization and yet opposed to Geocaching. I guess Women in the Outdoors and Geocaching just arn't compatible. :rolleyes:

If you want to place a cache in a cemetery and cannot get permission or do not seek permission and it is not approved by the reviewer, then make some changes.

I have a cache near a cemetery. It is a 9 stage multi where most of the stages are inside the cemetery. None of the stages located inside the cemetery require any movement of anything or climbing on anything. The final is a regular sized cache located outside of the cemetery grounds.

Vernon Grove Hill Cemetery Tour (GCWN7C)

What my point is is that if your cache does nto get approved and you think it is a good cache, then make whatever chanegs need to be made so it can be approved!