Image uploading

caderoux

I've got a bunch of photos to upload for a single cache. I've uploaded them all to flickr with just a couple clicks, but it's very time consuming to re-upload them here, one at a time. Is it considered bad form to just tell people to look at the photos on flickr? Alternatively, are there going to be improvements to make uploading of photos easier?

I've got a bunch of photos to upload for a single cache. I've uploaded them all to flickr with just a couple clicks, but it's very time consuming to re-upload them here, one at a time. Is it considered bad form to just tell people to look at the photos on flickr? Alternatively, are there going to be improvements to make uploading of photos easier?

Well, I'll tell you what I think.

Are you trying to tell a story of your geocaching adventure with you pictures? If not, then it probably would be bad form for a link and just post one or two relevant pictures (no giveaways). If you are telling a story, I don't see why you can't link to Flickr after a teaser picture or two on gc.com.

Team Gamsci

Well, I'll tell you what I think.

Are you trying to tell a story of your geocaching adventure with you pictures? If not, then it probably would be bad form for a link and just post one or two relevant pictures (no giveaways). If you are telling a story, I don't see why you can't link to Flickr after a teaser picture or two on gc.com.

Team Gamsci

It's a cemetery, the cache is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ee-ac6008f82ca5 (I was FTF on this cache last year, but have returned a few times to check on the cache, and of course the location is compelling). I uploaded the first picture to gc.com with about the same effort it took to upload 26 to flickr. I would probably rather just link to flickr photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/caderoux/sets...57594254043657/ than spend an hour uploading the photos.

It's a cemetery, the cache is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ee-ac6008f82ca5 (I was FTF on this cache last year, but have returned a few times to check on the cache, and of course the location is compelling). I uploaded the first picture to gc.com with about the same effort it took to upload 26 to flickr. I would probably rather just link to flickr photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/caderoux/sets...57594254043657/ than spend an hour uploading the photos.

Sure, I would say sure. You already have the teaser picture on the cache page. That should be enough. I should think you should have no problem linking to Flickr.

If anyone were to disagree, I'm sure they'll make their thoughts heard.

Team Gamsci

I'm wondering myself why posting a pic is a 127 point process. Almost every forum I've ever been on has a simple browse button. You navigate to the pic that's on your computer and click on it and 1 o.k. button later you've posted a pic. I'm no moron but I'm not very computer savy either. I tried for over a half an hour and managed to post a new avatar photo?!? Not what I was going for at all. I wanted an enlarged pic of the walking sticks that you see in my avatar and I just couldn't figure it out. So every time I feel the need to post a new pic I'll have to change my avatar. Swizzle

This is related to adding images to a log. Part of the problem is that there is no way to upload more than one picture at a time, so you have to browse to each one and then wait for it to upload. Using Flickr Uploadr, I drag all the images to the window and then a few clicks and it starts uploading and I don't have to go back every couple minutes to upload the next photo. Even if you upload on Flickr's regular web-based page, you can upload more than one at a time.

Geocaching.com does a far better job of handling free image uploads than flickr and photobucket do with handling geocache listings. :lol: The business buzzword is "core competencies."

I would think the addition of as many compelling photos as possible does directly contribute to the user experience gc.com is aiming for - like the gallery feature. It may be a question of priorities rather than competencies. I find it painful to upload more than a couple to a log.

I uploaded the photos to Flickr - I just wanted to know if this was considered bad form, since it cannot show up in the cache's gallery or contribute to the gc.com experience.

Geocaching.com does a far better job of handling free image uploads than flickr and photobucket do with handling geocache listings. :lol: The business buzzword is "core competencies."

I would think the addition of as many compelling photos as possible does directly contribute to the user experience gc.com is aiming for - like the gallery feature. It may be a question of priorities rather than competencies. I find it painful to upload more than a couple to a log.

I uploaded the photos to Flickr - I just wanted to know if this was considered bad form, since it cannot show up in the cache's gallery or contribute to the gc.com experience.

I upload to both. If I have a pile of GC pics, I upload most of them to GC.Com and only the really cool ones to Flickr, and vice versa, if I go somewhere and do a cache and take a pic of something wacky not related to the hunt, it goes on flickr only..

I like the offline flickr proggie for uploading.

Did you know you can geotag your Flickr photos now?

Tremendously cool. I should post that. I made a cache using that feature today (hopefully it will be approved. it's in the queue and probably not clickable just yet)

Edited by Zartimus