Five years, baby!

Seth!

On Tuesday, Adrian and I join the ranks of Moun10Bike, the Jester, and very few other PNW geocachers. We'll be part of the five-year club because we found our first geocache on August 29, 2001. If you look through the logs from that summer, you won't find many familiar names. Adrian was a little guy back then, having just turned four.

Two years ago, we hosted an event at our house to celebrate our three-year milestone. This summer is just too hectic for me to organize something like that. I would like to do something to observe our fifth geocaching orbit around the sun but I am not sure what. Maybe I should finally get a signature item! Any suggestions?*

The game has changed a lot over the years--some for the better and all reflecting the nature of an exponentially growing sport. Sometimes I sit in my rocker and reflect on the good ol' days but usually it's just neat to see how much people are enjoying it.

Thanks to everyone in the geocaching community for making this a fun part of our lives.

Cheers,

Seth! & Adrian

*besides "make another Mission: Impossible cache."

It's cool how a post like this can flush out the old timers. And just look at how everyone has aged over the past five years. I'm pretty sure that when W7WT joined, he looked like this...

kid.gif

Now look at 'im! It's incredible what geocaching will do to a guy. :laughing:

It's cool how a post like this can flush out the old timers. And just look at how everyone has aged over the past five years. I'm pretty sure that when W7WT joined, he looked like this...

kid.gif

Now look at 'im! It's incredible what geocaching will do to a guy. :rolleyes:

I was never that good looking! I was a poor farm boy from Southern Illinois not like you riich kids up around Springfield. I couldn't afford a Davy Crockett tee shirt. My Mother made my clothes from feed sacks. Thanks for opening the topic. Dick, the old man, W7WT

Now look at 'im! It's incredible what geocaching will do to a guy. :P

I was never that good looking! I was a poor farm boy from Southern Illinois not like you riich kids up around Springfield. I couldn't afford a Davy Crockett tee shirt. My Mother made my clothes from feed sacks. Thanks for opening the topic. Dick, the old man, W7WT

You're right Dick there's the feed sack! Boy you sure had long hair too.

me2_1.JPG

Why are you people from the Sucker State picking on me??? No that could not be me. Haircuts were always free and if you notice the kid has on new shoes. I never knew we were poor because we had just as much as anyone else I knew. I have done all the things I wanted to do when I was a kid. Geocaching is becoming more important because the wife has joined me and loves going to interesting and senic places. Will be going to Vancouver Island this fall to enjoy some great caches. Dick, W7WT

Why are you people from the Sucker State picking on me??? No that could not be me. Haircuts were always free and if you notice the kid has on new shoes. I never knew we were poor because we had just as much as anyone else I knew. I have done all the things I wanted to do when I was a kid. Geocaching is becoming more important because the wife has joined me and loves going to interesting and senic places. Will be going to Vancouver Island this fall to enjoy some great caches. Dick, W7WT

Yeah we all got those free haircuts too. Buzz, buzz, buzz. Sometimes they tried do do a flat-top. My fonest memories of the homeland are sassafras tea, lightning bugs, and crawdads in the creek.

I think I have this beat! I found my first on 10/5/2001 and my 10th (yes, only tenth) on 5/29/2006. :lol:

Congrats on 5 years Seth, here's to 5 more!

Wow, it's slightlynorth. Holy sh...cheese. It was so nice to meet you and Erin 4.5 years ago at the picnic event in Marymoor and then I thought you fell off of Earth when your GPSr was stolen. It's nice to see your post here in the forums. Cheers!

- !

I've been a member since December of 2000, (only Moun10bike has me beat in this thread so far) although wasn't very active for a few years. Recently as my 3 year old daughter has gained interest in hunting for "treasure boxes" and since my wife has also taken a keen interest, we have become more active.

My very first hunt for a cache was just after Christmas 2000, since that was when I got my classic yellow etrex, which I still use today. It was in Fort Warden, in Port Townsend. It actually showed up on the first page of search results and I was searching from 98204, Everett. We recorded a DNF since the cache was missing.

My second attempt at a cache was Toot toot city in Seattle. It's since been archived.

The first time we ran into another geocacher was 2/25/01 at the Yost Park cache in Edmonds. He gave us pointers and saved us from getting muddy feet since the coords were way off. We were second to find for this one, which amazingly is still active and has recorded 290 finds.

I guess with all the enjoyment we have gotten geocaching it is probably time we become premium members. :(

James