How to find parking without coordinates?

The Muse

My first caching day was easy because I knew the area. Now there are some caches that I'd like to go after, but the owner doesn't give parking coordinates, just the cache coordinates. How do I nail down the general area and where to park? I've been to google maps and mapquest, but it's not helping.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

For some caches and cache hiders finding the parking coords are part of the hunt.

There's a cache locally where the closest road to the hide is no parking and would also require crossing private property, cross a couple of fences, and walk between houses. That location puts a person within a couple hundred feet of the cache. If the cache hunter is only following the arrow on their GPS trying to find the closest road then private property is where the arrow will take them. The actual parking place and access to the park to begin the hunt means a bit over a 1/4 mile hike. A person can find the parking lot and park entrance by either a detailed map or just driving the area a bit around a section to the park entrance. There was one of the high number guys who threw a real fit because he got caught trespassing across the private property. He demanded the cache be archived because he thought the closest point to the road should be the access point. If he'd just driven about 1/2 mile around the road he would have found the park entrance. But he's one of the folks that goes after the numbers, hops out and grabs, and then on to the next. The cache hider intended the hunt to include looking for parking and entrance.

I have Mapsource US Topo on my GPSr, and It shows the streets and jeep trails that are nearest the cache. There are some places where you just have to drive around a bit. A city near here, (Oil City) has many narrow, one-way streets, and unless you know the area, you drive quite a ways to some caches. There are two there that I haven't found, so I'll have to go back. Part of the fun for me... :laughing:

Even Mapquest will show the city streets by the park. About a month ago I was in Springfield, IL, overnight on business so I decided to try a few caches (without maps). Even though I had been to this city many times, a certain cache was in a park on a side of town that I had never been to. The park turned out to be inside a subdivision. Just using the arrow on my GPSr, I eventually found the entrance. I just had to circle around a few times getting closer and closer and after several dead ends.

Two other things worth trying:

(1) Do a web search on the name of the park or conservation area where the cache is (assuming it's in a place like that); you may be able to find a link to a trail map that shows parking areas.

(2) Expand the cache page to show all logs and then search for the text "park". Sometimes people say where they parked in their logs.

Hey, Muse, I know how you feel. I'm a lone 'cacher as I don't have any family or friends nearby. I also live in an area that is saturated with drugs, mainly marijuana. Some work buddies have warned me about some areas to avoid, but it makes me nervous going after some of the caches.

I do not like having to guess where to start at, especially if looks like I'll have to cross private property to get to the cache. I'm not really in fear of my life or anything, but I do get kind of nervous. These are weird times and you can never really be sure about strangers.

I totally agree with you on this issue, and would like to see more detailed information about the areas around the caches.