Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX?

Ken643

I was wondering if anyone is using the new garmin GPS60CSX? I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and it works great. But I hear the new model works great in bad signal areas? Locks on even inside your home and in heavily wooded areas. and its much quicker. Just wondering if Its worth trading up, considering my current unit is only about a year old, and not sure I want o spend another $400.00 on the new one. Unless its really worth it. I do loose signal often in deep wooded areas, and I do need to have the unit on the dash to get a good lock on signal when driving.

Thnaks for any input.

Ken

I was wondering if anyone is using the new garmin GPS60CSX? I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and it works great. But I hear the new model works great in bad signal areas? Locks on even inside your home and in heavily wooded areas. and its much quicker. Just wondering if Its worth trading up, considering my current unit is only about a year old, and not sure I want o spend another $400.00 on the new one. Unless its really worth it. I do loose signal often in deep wooded areas, and I do need to have the unit on the dash to get a good lock on signal when driving.

Thnaks for any input.

Ken

I have been pondering the same situation myself as well, I have a 60cs, and its annoying when the thing keeps beeping that it lost sattelite when its sitting on my hip and I'm walking down a trail, that or in my car and the same thing happens.

I bought my wife the 60cs last year for her b-day. This year she bought me the 60csx. Both are good units, but when it comes to locking and keeping a lock the 60csx will blow away the 60cs! The 60cs gives faster alerts for upcoming turns than the 60csx when using auto routing. Besides the locking ability the expandable memory is the greatest plus.

Also I looked wich was Thursday, Amazon.com had the 60csx for 359.00 with a 50.00 rebate and free shipping which brought the price down to 309.00.

El Diablo

I bought my wife the 60cs last year for her b-day. This year she bought me the 60csx. Both are good units, but when it comes to locking and keeping a lock the 60csx will blow away the 60cs! The 60cs gives faster alerts for upcoming turns than the 60csx when using auto routing. Besides the locking ability the expandable memory is the greatest plus.

Also I looked wich was Thursday, Amazon.com had the 60csx for 359.00 with a 50.00 rebate and free shipping which brought the price down to 309.00.

El Diablo

Another question, I read some where that the 60CSX can also download directly from geocaching.com with out the files being coverted, by use of another program? just a click and you have them?

We bought the GPSmap 76cx in July, when it had the $100 rebate. It is amazing the signal lock it gets indoors! Incredible! (apparently the 60 and 76 are virtually identical, except the 76 series will float.... we aren't usually on a lake or river, but I'm sure it will come in handy sometime!) The price was a bit over $400, so with the rebate, final cost a bit over $300.

El Diablo

Another question, I read some where that the 60CSX can also download directly from geocaching.com with out the files being coverted, by use of another program? just a click and you have them?

I'm not aware of a way to download files from GC.com directley to the GPS unit without using one of several programs. You can download files from GC.com, but you need Easygps or GASK to load them into the GPS. Then again I may be wrong?

El Diablo

I don't know if upgrading a 60CS to CSx is worth it, but I used to have a plain old Legend and the 60CSx is ***AMAZING*** in comparison, the signal is SO much stronger and the memory is great. I get 15ft where i used to not even dream of even getting anything. Also the color is great but that won't be a change for you. If you've got the money and are into geocaching, i'd say do it.

I am also into the process for upgrading my 60CS to en "x"

I would guess that before Christmas Garmin would come out with a replacement for the 60CSx that uses the new SiRF Star III LT chip that uses 50% less power.

In history Garmin starts to give rebate before a new release. You now have $50 on 60CSx

The thing I miss on my 60CS are memory and SIRF

All interesting information, especially the fact that garmin may be getting ready for a new release in December. Decisions decisions, Not sure what to do still. I do love hearing about the increased signal strength, because that is a huge weakness of the 60cs. And I sware I heard or read something about downloading the geocaching files directly to the unit and they work, no other programs needed, but I have not confimed this. Dont remember where I saw it. Well everyone keep the information coming, I really appreciate it. Thanks for all the input so far.

Ken

Your description is a bit confusing. You are saying that you think it can download directly using another program, which means that you are not downloading directly. I would say that it takes more than one click unless you're running a macro.

In my case, I use GSAK. One click tells it to download any Pocket Queries from my email acct and import them into its database. A second click choose the "local, not found" filter that I use for my local 'caches that I haven't found. A third and final click exports the filtered list into my 60CSx.

FWIW, during that same session, I export a GPX file of that filtered list for viewing in Mapsource, and a .PDB file that will Hotsync to Cachemate on my Palm.

GeoBC

A USD$400 difference would be too high for me to move from a CS to a CSx. I paid about USD$200, though, and it was worth it simply because I do a lot of fourwheeling in deep woods and the reception of the CSx allows me to record unbroken tracks to map the trails.

GeoBC

El Diablo

Not sure quite what you mean here. For info: the latest version of MapSource will load gc.com generated *.gpx files directly. It's then just a matter of sending them to the GPSr. Perhaps this is what you read.

Your description is a bit confusing. You are saying that you think it can download directly using another program, which means that you are not downloading directly. I would say that it takes more than one click unless you're running a macro.

In my case, I use GSAK. One click tells it to download any Pocket Queries from my email acct and import them into its database. A second click choose the "local, not found" filter that I use for my local 'caches that I haven't found. A third and final click exports the filtered list into my 60CSx.

FWIW, during that same session, I export a GPX file of that filtered list for viewing in Mapsource, and a .PDB file that will Hotsync to Cachemate on my Palm.

GeoBC

Sorry for confusion, I thought I read somewhere that I could download the Geocache locations right from the web page without the use of GSAK(in the 60csx) which I use as well. But I cant find where I read this, and judging from the responses I am reading I think I am wrong on this.

Thanks

El Diablo

Not sure quite what you mean here. For info: the latest version of MapSource will load gc.com generated *.gpx files directly. It's then just a matter of sending them to the GPSr. Perhaps this is what you read.

I think your right, this is what I read, so you need mapsource and then a way to send it to gpsr, OK thanks

Thnaks for any input.

Ken

This is my first GPS Unit...I got the GPSMAP60CSX...in the beginning it gets signal lock in about 45 seconds to 1 minute...now I don't know why whenever I turn it on over night...it can take 2-5 mintues to get a signal lock!!! i am not sure if it is defective or not...as i don't use it often...but I guess I should and see if it really takes that long to get a lock....if so...I better call Garmin and give them a shout about this!

Even though I still like it very much...once I get a signal...it is perfectly fine model!

I caved in folks I ordered a new Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. I ordered if from amazon.com. If you sign up for their credit card they give you an $30.00 credit on your credit card bill when it comes in, and with the $50.00 mail in rebate brings it down to about $315.00, Best price I could find.

Thanks for all the help.

You may be thinking of the "Geocache Mode" this unit has...where the geocache waypoints are automatically separated from all your other waypoints. In other models, you had to place your geocaches in a special category find them easily (and display them separately from the other waypoints stored in your unit).

Sorry for confusion, I thought I read somewhere that I could download the Geocache locations right from the web page without the use of GSAK(in the 60csx) which I use as well. But I cant find where I read this, and judging from the responses I am reading I think I am wrong on this.

Thanks

If you have gpsbabel installed you can set up the browser to use gpsbabel to upload directly to the gps. Directions are at http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/browser.html

I have my browser set up so that when I click on the gpx link it saves the file. (This file has all the information including the description) and when I click on the loc file it uploads to the gps. (This file only has the coordinates of the cache)

Edit to add: I went from a 60CS to a 60CSx and am really impressed. I do miss the earlier routing warnings but the fact that when I am driving around a big city I don't lose signal and I can load the maps for the entire US in it make up for my loss. (I am a service technician and can go across the country at a moments notice, I can't install mapsource on my computer so I can't reload maps on the road)

Edited by webscouter.

All interesting information, especially the fact that garmin may be getting ready for a new release in December. Decisions decisions, Not sure what to do still. I do love hearing about the increased signal strength, because that is a huge weakness of the 60cs. And I sware I heard or read something about downloading the geocaching files directly to the unit and they work, no other programs needed, but I have not confimed this. Dont remember where I saw it. Well everyone keep the information coming, I really appreciate it. Thanks for all the input so far.

Ken

Hi Ken, I also have a CSx and I just went to geocaching.com and did a lookup and sent it directly to my GPS so yes it does do it without any extra programs. But if you want to do a pocket query and find a bunch of caches then it will send the query to your email as a zip file. You then transfer that to your unit. I have converted my Nuvi 350 car navigation gps to a handheld so I can use it for geocaching also. Works great. There is a whole thread on how to do it here somewhere. Good luck with your new unit.

Ray