Ettiquette of "fixing" someone else's cache?

cimawr

I'm new to geocaching - started a few weeks ago - and am wondering what the ettiquette is on doing maintenance on somebody else's cache.

The cache in question has a "matchbook" theme, with finders being requested to leave or trade interesting matchbooks or matchboxes - it's a cool idea.

However, the it's in the woods, with a ground-level hiding place, and the container used is a *nonwaterproof* disposable Glad container. When I found it, the container's interior was coated with nasty black mold, some of the non-theme contents were also moldy, and the matchbooks were soggy and ruined - and the whole thing stank; I mean literally had a bad smell <G>. Even the logbook, in a baggie, was damp and smelly.

When I logged my find, I noted the condition, said that IMO the container badly needed replacing, and also stated that I'd be happy to take care of it should the cache owner so desire - I walk my dogs in the park where it's hidden nearly every day, so it would be easy to do.

I've got some nice waterproof containers (originally intended for fishing gear) that are around the same size as the original container, and could transfer the logbook and non-ruined contents - maybe adding a new logbook and a geocaching note (currently there's none) - and rehide as the original.

However, I've gotten no response from the cache owner... so, my question is, would it be kosher for me to just go ahead and do it, then post a note to the cache page? Or is that a big breach of ettiquette?

The cache owner last logged in on July 27th so they may still respond yet.

Since you found the cache on the 23rd I assuming it's only been three days or less since you sent an email. I'd give it another five days, then I would post a "Needs Maintenance" log on the cache.

After a couple weeks? Well it gets trickier, once you start maintaining someone else's cache it's hard to know when to stop. You could replace it and then the cache owner has no reason to do anything. Or you could post an SBA.

hmmm, let's give it a bit more time.

Hi, and welcome!

To begin with, you just found the cache 3 days ago, and I would allow more time than that for a response. The cache owner hasn't found any caches since '05, which would worry me, except that they have maintained a premium membership and have logged on to GC within the last month. They have 2 other caches, one of which seems to have some maintenance issues as well. So, it's a mixed bag.

I would definitely wait a couple weeks, and at that time perhaps try another e-mail, or flag the cache with a "needs maintenance" log. Or, perhaps e-mail your local approver, explain the situation, and if you would be willing to adopt the cache, say so at that time. Then leave it to the approver to take action.

Thanks for caring about cache quality and being willing to contribute. I don't think it's ever bad form to remove ruined / disgusting items from a cache and give it a good wipe out, but replacing the entire container and contents could concievably step on someone's toes.

Happy caching!

Edited by bumblingbs

Drying out and claning up another cacher's cache is always a nice and appreciated thing. Making wholesale changes and 'adopting' the cache is likely going too far.

File a Needs Maintenance log on the cache page, detailing the issues as above.

This puts a warning on the page so other cachers know there are issues and may choose to avoid it, and sends a note to the owner.

If it goes unresolved, post a Should Be Archived note to the listing.

The Reviewer will attempt resolution, and if none is forthcoming will archive the cache.

You can then put your own cache at that location if you so choose.

Good luck

Ed

Tough call. The owner has not been active in geocaching for over a year, but does sign in. It was reported as wet in July. My guess is that the owner is no longer interested. Many people say 'Tupperware' but hide Glad Ware, or even worse, Chinese food containers.

Options: Put a 'Needs Maintenance' on it. (At Log This Cache, hit the Needs Maintennce button.) It'll probably be archived by a reviewer.

or: If it's a good cache, and you dont want to hide your own, replace the container, dry out the log book, ane put a new log book in. (I've seen this done with several caches, and even replaced a container myself, once.)

Either way, the owner probably will not care.

But, you only found it a few days ago. I'd give it a few weeks. Owner might be on vacation.

Clarification :

Yes, as everyone's noted, it's only been a few days. :rolleyes: I should have made it clear that I'm asking in a "for future reference" sort of way, e.g. if it gets to be a couple of weeks and there's no response from the cache's owner.

I wouldn't want to see the cache archived, as it's looked for fairly frequently and is (or would be if in good condition) a good hide, and don't intend to "adopt" it unless specifically asked to; just thinking of possibly doing something to keep it going well if the cache owner can't or doesn't want to.

> but replacing the entire ... contents could concievably step on someone's toes.

To clarify, I wasn't thinking of replacing all the contents - just adding a less-soggy logbook, and/or possibly removing or bagging the soggy matchbooks/boxes. The container's close to a lost cause, unfortunately.

I don't understand why OP is being advised to wait a week or more to log a "Needs Maintenance". He's already been there and knows that it needs maintenance. Sure, I understand that he's sent an e-mail, but there's nothing wrong with posting the NM log, too, as long as he keeps it positive. "Container is in bad condition and has been leaking a lot, all the contents were wet. A more durable container might be a good idea for this location."

He's not criticizing the cache owner by posting an NM, and he's not saying it's a carpy cache. Even the most conscientious owners have problems with their caches from time to time. By posting the NM log, he's also giving the next visitor a chance to carry along a new container, should they wish to do so, to use as either a temporary or permanent replacement. Back before the days of the NM log, I had noticed that one of the caches in an area I was headed to had had several Found logs reporting problems, so I made it point to take a new container with me to save the owner a trip.

I don't understand why OP is being advised to wait a week or more to log a "Needs Maintenance". He's already been there and knows that it needs maintenance. Sure, I understand that he's sent an e-mail, but there's nothing wrong with posting the NM log, too, as long as he keeps it positive. "Container is in bad condition and has been leaking a lot, all the contents were wet. A more durable container might be a good idea for this location."

He's not criticizing the cache owner by posting an NM, and he's not saying it's a carpy cache. Even the most conscientious owners have problems with their caches from time to time. By posting the NM log, he's also giving the next visitor a chance to carry along a new container, should they wish to do so, to use as either a temporary or permanent replacement. Back before the days of the NM log, I had noticed that one of the caches in an area I was headed to had had several Found logs reporting problems, so I made it point to take a new container with me to save the owner a trip.

Because before the Needs Maintenance Attribute people had to mention the condition in their log or contact the owner directly and wait for a response. Old habits die hard.

'WascoZooKeeper' wrote:

>>I don't understand why OP is being advised to wait a week or more to log a "Needs Maintenance".

<snip>

> but there's nothing wrong with posting the NM log, too, as long as he keeps it positive. "Container is in bad >condition and has been leaking a lot, all the contents were wet. A more durable container might be a good >idea for this location."

Well... since I'm new to this, I didn't realize I *could* make a specific "needs maintenance" log, and have already said something of the sort on the cache's page in my "found it" notes. So posting a NM log at this point would be redundant; which, I think, is why most people have advised waiting.

>He's already been there

Heh. Not that there's any way you would have known this, but the correct pronoun is "she".

Etiquette on fixing a cache has a lot to do with karma. Would you want a geocacher to do the same for you with a cache you have hidden. I know I would appreciate it.

If the geocache is local, I would see how often the geocacher logs in, finds caches etc. It may be they have gotten busy with other things (yes, there is life besides geocaching). Sometimes the experience of the find, the location and its contents may warrant TLC. Its easy to carry paper towel, an extra pen or log book to drop off.

If a cache appears abandoned and the owner hasnt logged in forever, then perhaps that cache should be allowed to die a natural death. Then you can replace it with a cache of your own!