Frisbee Rule 1.02

When I was in 3rd Grade I was playing frisbee at recess. I threw the frisbee to my friend Mike who failed to catch it. It hit him in the face and gave him a bloody nose. Mike cried. Keith, the class bully who didn't even like Mike and wasn't playing Frisbee, took offense and began to shove me and yell at me. Not being very smart, I then punched Keith in the face, giving him a bloody nose. Keith cried and began to pummel me relentlessly. I then cried. If only we had had "Frisbee Rule 1.02."

When I was in 3rd Grade I was playing frisbee at recess. I threw the frisbee to my friend Mike who failed to catch it. It hit him in the face and gave him a bloody nose. Mike cried. Keith, the class bully who didn't even like Mike and wasn't playing Frisbee, took offense and began to shove me and yell at me. Not being very smart, I then punched Keith in the face, giving him a bloody nose. Keith cried and began to pummel me relentlessly. I then cried. If only we had had "Frisbee Rule 1.02."

Didn't you?

:) It's amazing how few people actually understood the point of this thread (the few who did posted some amazing responses, by the way. Thanks!) Just to clarify, the original "Frisbee Rule" --the one that deals with the issue of permission to hide a cache-- was not my idea. You see, I took their Frisbee analogy and used it to... ah, nevermind. :D

:) It's amazing how few people actually understood the point of this thread (the few who did posted some amazing responses, by the way. Thanks!) Just to clarify, the original "Frisbee Rule" --the one that deals with the issue of permission to hide a cache-- was not my idea. You see, I took their Frisbee analogy and used it to... ah, nevermind. :D

I think most of us got it, until it was derailed by about the 7th post, then everyone went with the flow.

I think IV Warrior said it best in post 6. How we play this game does affect others, so those who choose to twist the sport to turn it into something it was never meant to be are not doing so in a vacuum.

Edited by briansnat

I think most "seasoned" cachers know the harm we do, but like to invoke the frisbee rule to help propogate the sport. which goes into a whole 'nuther thread on geosaturation or microspew.

Well, I think I might be a "seasoned cacher" (or not) and I definitely disagree. The "damage" done by cachers or anyone else trampling typical (not rare or endangered or nothing like that) vegetation is, at worst, seasonal and temporary. There is no real harm in walking in the woods (at least no harm to the woods).

Why are we so arrogant as a species to think that we can destroy what we did not create and which was here long before we were? There are basically two theories of how the woods GOT there- someone greater than us created it, or some series of improbable accidents resulted in its spontaneous apperance over billions of years.

In one scenario, the creator is not likely to just stand by and let the "dust in the wind" destroy His work. In the other case, we are totally insignificant and will ourselves be replaced by something "superior" in a couple billion years and in the mean time, whatever grows grows and it doesn't amount to a hill of beans whether or not we call a change "damage" or "improvement"- that is in the eye of the beholder, who in a million years or so will probably be a cockroach. I won't hazard a guess as to in what condition the typical cockroach likes his woods.

Nature restores far worse damage than a few trampled weeds. Play frisbee and don't fret it.

I think most "seasoned" cachers know the harm we do, but like to invoke the frisbee rule to help propogate the sport.

I think you are wrong. I've seen no "harm" in over 600 cache hunts.

harm was a poor choice of words - but we do tend to change the environment as we tromp through the woods to find these little treasures. nature will adapt and overcome, as it always does.

god - now I sound like a tree hugger... Think I'll go back and read that tick marshmallow thread some more. :lol:

I think IV Warrior said it best in post 6. How we play this game does affect others, so those who choose to twist the sport to turn it into something it was never meant to be are not doing so in a vacuum.

I can see how someone logging a find when the cache may not have actually been there could affect others. The effect would be that you intended to take a nice walk in the woods and find a geocache and instead, because of someone's misleading log, you ended up being only able to do the nice walk in the woods part. Bummer. :laughing:

But other situations have absolutely NO effect on other cachers. For example, if I choose to log the same cache multiple times, it simply does not affect anyone ...any more than what I had for breakfast does (flatulence excepted)! Period! Er.. Exclamation point!