Are all geocachers sexist?

I have noticed that when people log caches that we have hidden all credit goes to my husband. People always thank Kevin (including my brother-in-law from FTC's!!!! :rolleyes: ) and forget the rest of us who have walked for miles and miles! Do other people notice this :huh:

I can only speak for myself. When I go caching with Mrs WG she very often finds it, and I always acknowledge it in my log. I have suggested that she have her own login so that she can log her own finds, but she is happy to tag along.

I plead 'Not Guilty'!! :rolleyes::huh:

Edited by walkergeoff
I have noticed that when people log caches that we have hidden all credit goes to my husband. People always thank Kevin (including my brother-in-law from FTC's!!!! :rolleyes: ) and forget the rest of us who have walked for miles and miles! Do other people notice this :huh:

I have to say this is something I struggle with and it is a little reassuring to know that I don't suffer alone.

Not only do I not get credit for caches I have placed with my husband and daughter as part of a team, but to add insult to injury I organise events on my own (under our team name Rebel Alliance) but am still seen as a 'little woman'. My husband actually declares to everyone that he had zero input with any aspect of the organisation BUT people still insist on just thanking Mick for the event :rolleyes: . All that bra burning doesn't seem to have done the trick :huh:

Chris

Mrs Rebel Alliance - an EQUAL member of a team

All that bra burning doesn't seem to have done the trick :huh:

Note to self - always take a fire extinguisher to any Rebel Alliance events :huh:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Didn't need fire extinguishers at the 2nd Sheffield Event back in July. To say that some of the attendees got rained on is a little bit of an understatement. Must have been the heaviest downpour we had had all summer. I think some of 'em are still drying out - bless 'em! It was all good fun though - getting stuck in an electric storm and having to take shelter in a cow shed all adds to the geocaching experience I find. ;)

Apologies for going off topic. :huh:B)

Chris

Mrs Rebel Alliance

Crikey - I'm related to one of the original 8 women who started the suffragette movement so you'd have thought I'd be aware, but yes, although Gowenhouse has the family in the profile picture I always assume it's Kevin.

I don't think that about 'The White Family', Tim & June or 'Mr & Mrs Hedgehog' and a whole host of others.

Gowenhouse is a cache identity that, until now (hmmmm, your surname could be Gowen...) I has thought of as a house name or town name or ancient name for a house that...I don't know, has some ancient function, like Dower House or Mathon House.

So apologies, I'm not sexist, just some caching names are asexual so you identify it with the person who you first identified until proven otherwise.

Beth

Good grief! Am I right in supposing that there are men out there who trust a woman with any sort of navigation? :rolleyes:

Worse still, it seems that there are some women deluded enough to try it themselves without proper male supervision. :anibad:

When our team are out caching, IF the female is in tow, she keeps the proper distance behind, and when we log a find, her contribution in making the picnic (provided it is of sufficient quality) is duly noted. :(

Good grief! Am I right in supposing that there are men out there who trust a woman with any sort of navigation? :)

Worse still, it seems that there are some women deluded enough to try it themselves without proper male supervision. :)

When our team are out caching, IF the female is in tow, she keeps the proper distance behind, and when we log a find, her contribution in making the picnic (provided it is of sufficient quality) is duly noted. :P

:):):D:D:):)

Good grief! Am I right in supposing that there are men out there who trust a woman with any sort of navigation? :P

Worse still, it seems that there are some women deluded enough to try it themselves without proper male supervision. :)

When our team are out caching, IF the female is in tow, she keeps the proper distance behind, and when we log a find, her contribution in making the picnic (provided it is of sufficient quality) is duly noted. :)

Good Job MrsRTB doesn't know where you live. She can read a map, and used to Navigate back in our Motor Sport days, and we were succesful!!!!

Mind you I wouldn't let her drive.....

More often than not I think we assign a sex based on our perception of the name and don't default to just male.

Agreed.

Interesting topic.

So how do male/female teams split the various aspects of caching?

We are a family of four - Mum, Dad, daughter and son. We usually all go caching together and have probably had an equal number of actual finds each. In planning our trips, I usually have the initial idea about where we might go, but Mark will download the waypoints and put them into Memory Map. I do all the logging of finds and it is usually me on the forum (although Mark will post on technical stuff).

We have placed a few caches - Mark makes the camouflaged micros and I buy the bits and pieces for assembling traditional caches. The children both like to have their say in what will go in which cache. We all look for locations. Once a cache is hidden, Mark establishes the co-ords, then I post the details on GC.com.

And, for the record, I can navigate, and I've always liked maps.

Jen - BikerKats

reading over him indoors shoulder. Never placed a cache in my life, or organised anything as exotic as a cache bash.

However I am the poor bedraggled soul in an all weather jacket trying to coax two knackered preschoolers they really do want to walk another mile through a field of scary bullocks because Daddy really has nearly found it this time. That the last four miles of bog trekking were 'fun' and just think no one else will be able to write anything this character building in news on Monday.......

All up the women I say :D

MrsSlimey

Interesting topic.

So how do male/female teams split the various aspects of caching?

And, for the record, I can navigate, and I've always liked maps.

Jen - BikerKats

I(f) do the map reading for car journey and plot the stages of multis on the map ,but I can't do that until he has converted the given lats/longs into british grid for us .

...However I am the poor bedraggled soul in an all weather jacket trying to coax two knackered preschoolers they really do want to walk another mile through a field of scary bullocks because Daddy really has nearly found it this time. That the last four miles of bog trekking were 'fun' and just think no one else will be able to write anything this character building in news on Monday.......

All up the women I say :)

MrsSlimey

and again this afternoon, MrsS :laughing::P:P ... but it was good fun, wasn't it? :)The Wye Valley Ghost Train

MrsB

The Glenn in GlennandRoxy is really along for the ride, he usually carries the GPS, but is amazingly never anywhere near the actual cache. In fact, of our 25 finds, he actually found 1 (and personally, I think it is because the bush was waaaay too prickly for the rest of us - so it was the "manly" thing to do), the rest are Roxy and the kids.