Penguin Geocoin?

ian13

I am looking into a Penguin Geocoin (please don't now steal this idea). As an avid fan of penguins, I think it is a shame that none currently exist not more exist.

A problem for me would be funding. I am just checking if there is a demand for such a coin.

I would probably produce either 100 or 250. Since I am in the UK, they would be distributed from there. I plan for it to contain a 'caveman' penguin (ie a penguin with club and spotty shorts!), and to say on the back 'Back to the Earth'.

If I produced 100 it would cost $607 ($6.07 a coin) inc. tracking, and postage would then have to be added to this for any buyers. This however would mean on the geocaching.com website that it would only be called "Personal Geocoin".

250 would cost $1345 ($5.38 a coin) to make (+P&P for sale) inc. tracking, and this would mean it was called "GeoPenguin" and have a custom icon on geocaching.com.

If I went for 250 micro coins (25x2mm instead of 38x3), 250 would cost $1155 ($4.62 a coin) + delivery P&P inc tracking and custom name and icon.

If anyone would be interested in such a coin (and seriously be prepared to buy one), please let me know. Also, if someone would want to take on this adventure (I can set up a sales website), I would be happy for this to happen (providing I can get some coins too!). Just let me know.

---

Ian

GeoPenguin.jpg

I choose the front design because penguins are linked with computers (Tux is the Linux mascot, and this penguin is based on Tux). The caveman effect shows that it is 'hunting'. Basically it is something technology linked that involves hunting in the wild (like Geocaching). Penguins are also found at the south pole - showing how Geocaching reaches everywhere. Clever, huh?

Edited by ian13

:huh:757.gif:rolleyes:

I'm having problems with the Geobash picture but it has multiple penguins on it also. :rolleyes:

I would however be interested in a couple of coins. Also make sure the guys over at the GeoCoin Club see these, They are Penguin fanatics.

Edited by 57chevy

G'day

I would take up to three.

As an aside I have been looking into my personal coin and have priced getting them made myself in China (Hong Kong), arranging my icon and tracking from gc.com and of course doing the designing. This is going to pretty much halve the cost.

If you want contact details for HK let me know.

Andrew

1500.gif

1201.gif

1146.gif

Not particularly unique!!!!

Also be aware there is no guarantee you will sell all - or want to.

so think twice about your costings, as a fairly new person to this game please be aware that many have paid more than they wanted to for coins due to lack of sales

Also be ready for those who will ask what has a dinosaur penguin got to do with caching

Might be worth putting your name on the coin to make it a personal coin

If I can help ask

Bob

Why not make it a personal, non-trackable, trade-only coin and only get 100 of them. Then instead of buying coins from others, trade your personal coin for their coin. You would spend less money this way.

Yes - I think I may do that. If I sequence number them, then they can be tracked on my website!

Why not make it a personal, non-trackable, trade-only coin and only get 100 of them. Then instead of buying coins from others, trade your personal coin for their coin. You would spend less money this way.

Yes - I think I may do that. If I sequence number them, then they can be tracked on my website!

Marky has a site where you can track coins as well:

http://geocoin.net/

As an avid Penguin supporter, I like the coin! I'm not sure what is up with the "Return to Earth" part, but the Penguin is cute. If anyone gets a chance, or is interested in making another penguin coin, a coin with any of these penguin designs below would get a ton of buys from me! <_< (Especially the one on the far right...so cute!)

bc_penguins.jpg

(All images are cut from Linux wallpapers. I make no assertion of ownership or design. All images are copyright their respective owners.)

I'd be interested in a coin, depending on what the final price would be but only if it has it's own icon and is trackable. I'll be watching this forum to see if the idea materializes. I'd also suggest the personal coin idea, it would be more universally accepted that way. I would love to create a personal coin which is trackable and with a unique icon but right now the price is out of my range and I refuse to do a pre-sale. I want to have the coin produced and then sell it but then one takes the risk you might not break even. We'll see how things play out. Good luck with your coin!

Like others, I like the design, but as was stated above, what is up with "Return to the Earth" I don't understand the reference, and it seems kind of out of place on the coin.

It is linked with the concept that Geocaching is like returning to caveman style hunting. Looking for the treasure... On the Earth :D

I am looking into a Penguin Geocoin (please don't now steal this idea). As an avid fan of penguins, I think it is a shame that none currently exist not more exist.

A problem for me would be funding. I am just checking if there is a demand for such a coin.

I would probably produce either 100 or 250. Since I am in the UK, they would be distributed from there. I plan for it to contain a 'caveman' penguin (ie a penguin with club and spotty shorts!), and to say on the back 'Back to the Earth'.

If I produced 100 it would cost $607 ($6.07 a coin) inc. tracking, and postage would then have to be added to this for any buyers. This however would mean on the geocaching.com website that it would only be called "Personal Geocoin".

250 would cost $1345 ($5.38 a coin) to make (+P&P for sale) inc. tracking, and this would mean it was called "GeoPenguin" and have a custom icon on geocaching.com.

If I went for 250 micro coins (25x2mm instead of 38x3), 250 would cost $1155 ($4.62 a coin) + delivery P&P inc tracking and custom name and icon.

If anyone would be interested in such a coin (and seriously be prepared to buy one), please let me know. Also, if someone would want to take on this adventure (I can set up a sales website), I would be happy for this to happen (providing I can get some coins too!). Just let me know.

---

Ian

GeoPenguin.jpg

I choose the front design because penguins are linked with computers (Tux is the Linux mascot, and this penguin is based on Tux). The caveman effect shows that it is 'hunting'. Basically it is something technology linked that involves hunting in the wild (like Geocaching). Penguins are also found at the south pole - showing how Geocaching reaches everywhere. Clever, huh?

Looks a lot, as in identical, like the one that is already listed for sale at the GeoCoin Store for $7.00. Is it?

Penguin Geocoin at GeoCoin Store Penguin Back of Coin

db3e53237d3b640cffe83555eaf47fb5.image.574x550.jpg4fecd55829acf8645d5fb41a319bbadb.image.606x550.jpg

I bought quite a few of them, kind of a neat coin, I never did hear what Return to the Earth meant. Did this penguin attempt to fly to a cache? ;) Glen

"It is linked with the concept that Geocaching is like returning to caveman style hunting. Looking for the treasure... On the Earth"

Hello! I just came across this thread....I went to the geocoin store but they are sold out. :D That's too bad...would really have loved one of these. Just starting to build our own geocoin collection.

Me too! I have bid for several on ebay obviously not bidding high enough though. Unfortunately being in Australia the close of these auctions is in the middle of the night for me :D

I have never particiapated in coin trading yet as I am only just starting to research how to go about it - I am sure I will find heaps of info in the forums though if I just take the time to read through.

Anyway, getting to the point. I have a true Australian geocoin still in pack in mint condition if anyone has a looney the would like to trade. email me at ijsepalm at bigpond.net.au