whats your "standard" gear?

redheadedscorpio

Hey all!

I am very new to geocaching and have been reading all I can in the forums, trying to pick up some of the "tricks" of the game, etc...

Right now, I have a 3-ring binder with all of my printed cache pages, a pencil, a pen, my Etrex, a small flashlight and extra batteries.

I plan on getting a smallish backpack to everything in, but havn't had a chance yet. I also need to add a pair of tweezers or something similar, since at least one of the caches I printed says they are needed to extract the log.

I have seen on a few cache logs that people carry a mirror, walking stick, zip loc bags, etc when they are out caching.

I know it probably varies widely, but what do you normally carry with you when caching?? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your time!

We're fairly new too, only 14 finds so far. And I'm very lucky in that my wife always plans and packs. Some things we have found helpful are a small but powerful flashlight, bug spray, small towels or washclothes for sweat, bug spray, water, pen, bug spray, gatorade if you're out in a tropical climate or out for a long day, bug spray, trade items, digital camera...did I mention bug spray?

Seriously, don't go out without bug spray. Walking sticks are great for poking around in places you don't want to put your hands. On Okinawa and even Japan, the spiders are BIG and scary and many habu (snakes) hang around looking for something tasty.

Having lived in the desert (Kuwait) and the tropics (Okinawa) I know to always take lots of fluids.

I know I've left many things off this list, like I said, my asawa always takes care of me.

Welcome aboard! I'm new myself at 14 finds.

Haven't done any caching in the deep woods yet, so my load is usually small. A lightweight bag or backpack, a bottle of water, plenty of pens and pencils, a small notepad for taking notes, and a plastic handheld tacklebox for holding small cache items. A few packs of Wet Naps are good too, for cleaning up after poking around in dusty holes. And of course, lotsa cache items ranging from tiny to paperback sized. Most times if I find a good cache in need of restocking I'll just add a few goodies for the heck of it. Extra ziplocks are good too, in case the cache needs them. It's always good to try to leave things in better shape than you find it.

Oh, and after yesterday, a little bag of snacks in case I run into more hungry squirrels. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! :huh: So far all of the caches I have looked for have been in town, but a few that I hope to go for later today are out of town. My hubby suggested gloves (mechanix style or leather) for reaching into spots I cant quite see in well enough to know if theres an unfriendly or not.

Water and snacks are always in my car, since my daughter (8 yrs old) is a diabetic.

Never thougth about bug spray....but then, if I came across a spider as big as you are talking, Fuji, then I wouldnt be around there long enough to be able to spray it!! :huh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyone else have anything to add??

GPS, personal journal, calculator(for puzzle caches), extra pencils and spare log book (in case the caches' is full), extra baggies, swag items of course, extra batteries, BUG SPRAY (good lord the mosquitos are bad this year), leather gloves, small headlamp, just picked up a mechanics mirror last night for those "not so sure I wanna reach in there yet" spots, multi tool, and lots of water.

The Laughing Gnomes

I'm getting a lot of good ideas for things to carry when I go caching. Now for a related question: What do you carry it all in? Most of my caching expeditions are solo trips, so I'd need something (presumably a backpack or similar) that I could carry on my own. Any suggestions?

--Larry

A backpacks probably your best bet for hauling stuff. Just make sure it has extra-comfy shoulder straps.

Now personally I'm thinking about getting one of those photographers vests that has like twenty pockets for carrying various items. I suspect they're expensive though.

I'm getting a lot of good ideas for things to carry when I go caching. Now for a related question: What do you carry it all in? Most of my caching expeditions are solo trips, so I'd need something (presumably a backpack or similar) that I could carry on my own. Any suggestions?

--Larry

A backpacks probably your best bet for hauling stuff. Just make sure it has extra-comfy shoulder straps.

Now personally I'm thinking about getting one of those photographers vests that has like twenty pockets for carrying various items. I suspect they're expensive though.

Actually, I've been looking at photographer's vest as a possibility myself. I've seen some decent vests for around $60-$70, but I haven't had a chance to check any details yet. Anyone use a photographer's vest you'd recommend?

--Larry

--Larry

Actually, I've been looking at photographer's vest as a possibility myself. I've seen some decent vests for around $60-$70, but I haven't had a chance to check any details yet. Anyone use a photographer's vest you'd recommend?

--Larry

You might take a look at "The Working Man's Vest" from Duluth Trading Company. They also make a warm weather version.

Duluth also has "The Force Nine Vest" which I have found to be great for cool to cold weather use here in New England. You can easily carry enough gear for an entire day in the cold - and I am known as one who never underpacks.

Bag o'Tricks

i have 19 finds, and have explored the woods of Catalina and have found 6 new caches there while on a BSA 30 mile Backpacking hike. If you want to get the most camp here. Caches at Little Harbor, and Two Habor camps, are withing .16 of a walk to the cache, and same with Black Jack camp, .12-15 mile of a walk :laughing:

Edited by hiikaash

I'm a newbie to caching but I used to go hiking and here in Ireland you absolutely need breathable wet weather gear and good walking boots.

Good Advice:

- Always read the Cache details

- Take a map of the area and a compass with you (and know how to read them!) - the GPS is not enough!

- Let someone know where you are going

- Check the weather forecasts

- Take emergency food and water with you

- A mobile phone can be a pain but could also be a lifesaver.

I now make a point to carry a Silva compass and a map of the area I am going to as I was relying on the GPS too much recently and tried to go skydiving off a cliff - this was completely down to my own stupidity of course - I should have known better - I zeroed in on the cache but it was approx 100ft below me on a sheer drop - I did not read the cache details - I just downloaded the co-ords on to my GPS and blindly followed it.

A walking stick is always a useful item also.

Hope this helps

Regards

CFred39

Edited by CFred39

I have only been caching since April, but here is what I carry:

GPSr

smallish backpack with:

PDA using e-book format

chapstick

head net

pens

swag

cell phone

bug spray

hat

garbage bag

toilet tissue and ziplocks to pack it out with

leather gloves

telescoping walking stick with pepper spray attached to it

in the car I have:

water

change of clothes

dry shoes

I need to add a first aid kit.

Editing to add: We have a system. I call our home voicemail and say the co-ords just before I go in. When I come out, I call again to clear. Then when I get to the next cache I repeat the process. That way if I fall and knock myself out, my family and the Sheriff won't have to google around to find me, they will have my destination lat and long.

Edited by Kacky

I myself am quite new, but I have already run into a cache where I needed a magnet. It's a 35mm film canister with magnetic tape on the top down a plastic pipe, so a magnet on a string, or one of those telescoping magnets is needed. If one person thought of it, I am sure there are others where a magnet would come in handy...

I myself am quite new, but I have already run into a cache where I needed a magnet. It's a 35mm film canister with magnetic tape on the top down a plastic pipe, so a magnet on a string, or one of those telescoping magnets is needed. If one person thought of it, I am sure there are others where a magnet would come in handy...

Or soon will be now that you've posted it in here, giving people the idea. :laughing:

All of you that are carrying printed pages of the cache really need to look into using a PDA. It is sooooo much easier then printing out the cache. Plus you can keep thousands of caches in it. Get yourself a cheap palm and a couple programs (cachemate $8, GSAK $20). Oh and become a premium member so you can run pocket queries ($3/month or $30/year).

--Larry

--Larry

There is a company called Domke that makes fairly lightweight photog vests, don't know the prices though as I don't use them myself. They are geared more towards still shooters and I do TV with bigger more awkward equipment.

--Larry

Sometimes you can find those vests at a Goodwill store or such place. :rolleyes:

Here is my list of items, all fit into a medium sized fanny pack. The Survival items all go into an inner small bag, as does the medical supplies

PERMANENT SURVIVAL ITEMS

COMPASS

MIRROR

PONCHO

ZIP LOCK BAGS

ZIP TIES

SEWING (SUTURE) KIT

TOILET PAPER

BUG REPELLANT

WHISTLE

DUCT TAPE

SURVIVAL MATCHES

FIRE FLINT

SHOE LACE

BELT GEAR

GPS (IN BELT POUCH)

BATTERIES (IN BELT POUCH)

MULTI-TOOL (IN BELT CASE)

WATER BOTTLES (IN BELT POUCHES)

WALKING STICK (NOT IN BAG)

CAMERA

PERMANENT MEDICAL SUPPLIES

IODINE

LARGE BANDAGES (6)

ANTISEPTIC PREP-PADS (6)

ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT

SCISSORS

TYLENOL/IBUPROFEN/MAXALT

GAUZE &TAPE

KNIFE, SMALL CLEAN

SUN BLOCK

BAND-AIDS, SML,MED,LRG,

NITRILE GLOVES

STING RELIEF WIPE

TWEEZERS/MAGNIFY GLASS

MOLESKIN 2X3 (2)

BUTTERFLY BANDAGE

BASIC MEDICAL GUIDE

THERMOMETER STRIP

LOOSE GEAR (IN OUTSIDE POCKET)

CHAP STICK

NOTEBOOK

PEN, PENCIL

FLASHLIGHT, SPARE AAA BAT

SWAG

FOOD

Edited by ALPINE-X

It depends on the time of the year and weather and the cache terrain

For Urband caches that I can drive to"

Fanny pack

Extra batteries

Replacement logs

Extra pens

Sig items

Mirror

Cord with a hook on it

Small flash light

Pocket PC with PQ for the area, and also MS street map showing cache locations.

For caches that require a hike, all of the above plus the following:

Water

Food

Ham radio

Bug spray

Walking stick

Dig camera

Topo map with caches on it (National Geographic map)

Extra GPS

In the winter I use a Day pack instead of a fanny pack that will also contain rainware

I sometimes also carry on of my bikes on my truck, this saves time when you cannot park close to a cache.

I was relying on the GPS too much recently and tried to go skydiving off a cliff

You know, I have the perfect shirt for you...

:P

... as for my pack, I carry a cheap daypack with side pockets for my water bottle and camera/PDA. Inside it I always keep the basics, including:

-my aluminum clipboard, stocked with pen and paper

-small first aid kit with bandaids, wipes, Wet Naps and Tylenol

-small LED flashlight and Fox 40 whistle clipped to outside of pack

-extra pens and Sharpies

-bottle of Muskol (30% DEET) and small bottle of sunscreen

-compass

-small cache repair kit with spare log book, rubber gloves and a few ziplocs of varying sizes

-extra AA batteries, stored in a velcro padded rifle cartridge case (holds 12 batteries, I think)

-zip loc baggies of signature items and trade swag

-CITO bags in film cans

I was thinking of making my kit modular by putting combinations into other bags that I could pack in or leave out depending on what kind of cache I was planning to do. They'd all stay in the car, so worst case I'd have to hike back for something if I meet an unexpected challenge:

The "Night Cache" kit

-larger flashlight

-night vision goggles (one day, when I have some spare cash :anicute:)

The "Puzzle Cache" kit

-measuring tape

-ruler

-scientific calculator

The "Micro Extraction" kit

-mechanic's mirror-on-a-stick

-pliers

-tweezers

Edited by GreyingJay

Hey all!

I am very new to geocaching and have been reading all I can in the forums, trying to pick up some of the "tricks" of the game, etc...

Right now, I have a 3-ring binder with all of my printed cache pages, a pencil, a pen, my Etrex, a small flashlight and extra batteries.

I plan on getting a smallish backpack to everything in, but havn't had a chance yet. I also need to add a pair of tweezers or something similar, since at least one of the caches I printed says they are needed to extract the log.

I have seen on a few cache logs that people carry a mirror, walking stick, zip loc bags, etc when they are out caching.

I know it probably varies widely, but what do you normally carry with you when caching?? :anicute:

Thanks for your time!

This info. may help.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 4 , 2 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot, sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons, quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend software works great with these.....I'm including a list which may be of use to you......it was posted by a couple of us on our states website. You can get these on EBAY with extras.

LIST OF USUFULL GEOCACHING ITEMS

I can’t say that mine is better than any other because I have only used 1 other. But my Magellan Meridian Color with Mapsend Software gets the job done. I can carry the whole Southeast US on my 500 mb sd card and have plenty of room for more. That includes dirt and gravel roads. Last summer, I lead a column of cars carrying 19 people across the Florida countryside in the middle of the night for 4 hours, and I did it from the rear of the column via CB radio. Missing signs were not a problem. That’s real-time mapping capability in a practical application. Superior signal stability under harsh conditions, etc, etc. So Watcha, what kind of Magellan are you using? And what did you do to provoke it?

Doggy is right.......again.

Bamette and I each use a Meridian Platinum ( Magellan) with Directroute Software and I have a Platinum for a spare. With the SD card capability you can store maps, lists of caches, etc. ( an immense amount) and you also have an electronic compass, big screen, easy to use buttons, and maintain a lock under heavy canopy for hours. I also have two Garmins but the Platinums are the way to go.

Grab you a couple of Palms on ebay, download spinner and plucker, and you're good to go. On a cross country trip you could load dozens of spinner files ( one for each city?) on your Magellans SD card and use plucker to put each one on your Palm, charge your batteries, and you're ready for weeks of caching ( you can also get the Platinum GPS on ebay w/ lots of extras for about $150.).

A convenient holster will give you a place to carry and protect your gpsr. A PDA holster will do the same for your PDA. An adaptor for your cig lighter will stretch your batteries life. A probe will help you avoid biting varmints. A mirror with an intense pocket flashlight will get you past those out-of-sighters. I like to use a lensatic compass for precision. I also use a wrist compass clipped to my watchband for qlance orientation. That’s just on the weekends of course. I like it so much that I’m looking for 2 more, one for my dress watch and the other for my son. I guess they’re out of season? If you are really loaded for bear, bring along a metal detector. If the cache has a coin in it or is made of metal, it will give you the edge. I guess that’s about it. I’m not saying I do that. It’s an interesting thought though

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries .....these are the best made ( don't take my word for it, look it up ) then you will have plenty of batteries for your digital camera ( my wife and I each carry one), GPS unit, flashlights etc.

For a small , powerfull flashlight you can't beat a Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax ( 5 blinding watts of LED driven by two 3 volt lithium batteries.....the batteries are $15 for a box of twelve and have a 10 year shelf life....kind of pricy but well worth it...will light up the woods.

I don't know if the most important thing was mentioned....a good walking stick. Local cachers and special guests can get one free at the View Carre' cache.......don't leave your car without your stick.

Also a small pocket screwdriver for digging out micro logs and other probing.

AND DON’T FORGET TO BRING A PENCIL.

LIST From Above :

1. Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS Unit + Belt Holster (EBAY- If you will have a regular partner , get two )

2. Palm M500 PDA and case ( ebay- buy an extra for backup )

3. 12” metal probe for searching tree cavities etc. for micro caches

4. 2 “ or 3” extension mirror

5. Small, intense flashlight ( Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax )

6. Pencil

7. Sharpie ( Fine Point)

8. Cotton Gloves

9. Pocket Screwdriver

10. Walking stick

11. Plastimo Iris 50 Hand Bearing Compass ( Great for offset caches)

12. C401FSDC MAHA NiMH Battery Charger

13. Maha 2500 mAh NiMH PowerX AA Batteries (GPS,camera,flashlights,etc. )

14. Digital Camera

15. Access to computer w/ internet connection ( premium membership in geocaching.com is best )

INFORMATION ON PAPERLESS CACHING

I got started with step by step info. I got from the Florida Geocaching website and I keep copies here at my View Carre' cache to hand out to others. I am not hi tech and can't quite use my cell phone but this guide is can't miss. If you can't find it email me and I can fax it to you.

http://www.floridageocaching.com/paperless.htm = step by step instructions.

The newer Magellans (Explorist 210, 400, 500, 600 and XL) are a step or two above the Meridians.

I use a Meridian gold just to run direct route, I use an explorist 500 with Map send topo. I also have a Magellan sport track color, this GPS has a very poor screen. I have owned a sport trak map, this is a fine GPS, I left mine on a trail.

As far as the triaxial compass, My sport track color has one. The Triaxial compass is better than the compass in the Garmin units. That being said, I find a Magentic compass in a GPS to be of little real use for geocaching.

sorry for the length

First aid kit:

Instant ice pack

Smelling salts

Ace bandage

Band-aids

Tylenol

Aspirin

Motrin

Butterfly closures

Gauze

Chapstick

Adhesive tape

Moleskin

Antiseptic

Snakebite kit

Bug bite swabs

Alcohol pads

Iodine swabs

CPR mask

Cotton balls/swabs

Eye wash

Other:

Rain poncho

Roll of TP

Mylar survival blanket

Washrag

Soap

Light sticks

Small flashlight

Hand warmers

Bug repellant

Compass

Signal mirror

Sunscreen

Pocket knife

Leatherman

Whistle

Cable saw

Fire starters

Duct tape

Waterproof matches

Rope (50 ft, 1/4 in. nylon)

Sweat shirt/jacket

For Geocaching:

Ziploc bags

Trash bag

Logbook/pencils

Map/cache notes/PDA

Small calculator

Batteries

SWAG

Pedometer

Cell phone

Camera/mini-tripod

FRS radios

Walking Stick

Beef jerky

Granola bars

Trail mix

Water - I use a camelbak mule to tote all this stuff :anicute:

GPSr!

Great link on F&S on how to make small survival kits here. Very cool.

Edited by Jhwk

After caching for only a month with our team now, we've compiled an entire box (large rubbermaid container) of goodies that now stay permanently in our Blazer. Included in these items, and strictly for caching are:

Pad of Paper

Several Pens

Toilet Tissue

Wet Wipes

Bug Spray

Small First Aid Kit

Small Hand Towels

Extra Socks (You WILL get wet feet at times, and these really come in handy for us)

Small Trade Items for Caches (SWAG)

Sig Cards (If you use them)

Flashlights

Extra Batteries

Screwdriver

Sunscreen

Dry Snacks (Crackers, TrailMix, etc)

Small Trash Bags

Cooler with Drinks

I think that every team has there own list, and you will certainly add things of your own to the lists here. We still find things almost every trip that we wish we'd brought with us. I think it really depends on how long you cache in a day too. We are all-weekend cachers, so we are gone every weekend from Friday through Sunday. Being in your car from about 8am until 11pm certainly makes you require more items than a cacher who only goes out a few hours a day.

I, personally, don't prefer backpacks because they are bulky and heavy. Some caches require a lot of walking or some climbing and backpacks become emcumbersome. I prefer to use a photog vest or fanny pack. Everyone is different in that aspect, I'd guess though.

RHS,

I actually have 2 GeoPacks, one for when I am on my own or heading deeper into the woods, with a lot more stuff. That one is a messager bag, kind of a one strap backpack that crosses my body in front. Another for when I am in a group or doing more urban caches, just a belly bag. I also keep a box of replacement supplies in the trunk. The cache pages are great, but I only take along the ones I am planning on hitting in any particular area, the rest stay in the car.

A big stick is a must, it can be used for poking in holes, clearing away underbrush, or fending off unwanted visitors. Always carry water, you might plan on only being away from the car for 30 minutes, but....plan for the worst, hope for the best! Bug spray, bug spray, bug spray. Those skeeters LOVE the pale white flesh of us redheads! GPSr, of course, pens, notebook, extra baggies. I like wetwipes, both for myself and to use as trade items, they are inexpensive, light, and always usefull. Extra batteries, a flashlight, cell phone, CITO bags, and swag...the list can go on and is ever changing!

Oh, one thing to always remember, if you are caching in an new area, ALWAYS USE YOUR GPSr TO MARK THE LOCATION OF YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU HEAD INTO THE WOODS!!! I can't tell you the number of extra miles I have walked trying to relocate my vehicle, in the dark usually!

The very most important thing though is to have fun!

Edited by Red_Devil35

I am pretty new to GC, with only about 97 finds. I like gadgets and bought some off of eBay.

Things I Carry OR Have Avaiable:

-GPS - Garmin eTrex Legend Cx, sometimes a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, both with Garmin City Navigator mapping program.

-Extra batteries, but I only use the GPS with batteries when out of the car, when in the car I have it hooked to the Tablet PC, or to the DC outlet. For Garmin devices, like the Legend Cx and GPSmap, the charger is the same as one for the Motorola RAZR phone, I just used my old charger when I had that phone. FYI incase you are looking for one, pick one up from any electronics store, probably for cheaper.

-I have a Plam IIIxe, have not found out how to get caches on it, but bought it with all the accessories for 20 bucks off of eBay so I can not complain.

-Hiking fanny pack with water bottle holders

-Backpack to carry goodies

-A Fujitsu Tablet PC I bought off of eBay, GREAT for GC, it came with WiFi so I can find a public spot and look up up-to-date cache info, if I did not have time to update GSAK. It is bullky, but is great, I have a few maping programs loaded into it incase I need some bigger street maps to get to the cache. I have GSAK loaded on to it as well has my home PC. I run the Tablet in my truck and plan on getting a laptop mount, but again it works PERFECT for GC, I highly suggest one to anyone who likes paperless caching, because you can have everything right there, including photos, without having to dl the info then uploading it up to the Palm or other PDA. Not to mention, a lot of backpacks now days have padded lap top pockets to hold them while you are on the go.

-I carry a few flashlights, I am in law enforcement so I like BRIGHT flashlights, I suggest any UltraStinger rechargeable light from Streamlight. Super bright but pricey 100+. I also carry a regular Stinger light in addition to a few "wind up" LED lights, for times I do not want to waste battery power.

-Pocket knife

-First aid kit in my truck

-Leatherman multi tool in my truck

-water, power aid type drinks

-Cell Phone

-Pen

-Notebook/binder

I have found that wile looking in very public places for micros or anyother cache, where you have to use ultra stealth, carry a large notebook or binder with you, open, it makes you look like you work for a public agency, ie: water dept, telephone or what ever, and people do not even notice you. How many times have you looked at someone with a portfolio or binder, looking under water control covers??

If confronted, I just fess up and even show them the cache info on my tablet, heck maybe I can get them involved!! People can smell some made up story but when you got the proof in your hands, they can not help but believe you.

Edited by PTR-Jason

I think it is important to distinguish between what you take with you and what you carry with you. Put everything you think you may need for a caching excursion in one box/bag and take it with you when caching. I leave mine permanently in my vehicle, but that's not safe/practical for everyone. When leaving the vehicle for a cache, take only the minimal essentials. For me that is my G.P.S.r, one set of spare batteries, trade goods likely to be needed and a biro/pencil. If you don't have to walk far you won't need anything else, and if it is a long walk the extras will be more of a hindrance than a help. If caching alone you might also like to take your phone, although in most of the areas i cache there is no coverage anyway. As long as I have plenty of water in my vehicle, I don't worry about carrying it. Even in the Australian outback a walk of several miles is not really any danger unless you get lost. That's why the spare batteries are important, and why it is a good idea to record the coordinates for your vehicle before you leave it.

I know it probably varies widely, but what do you normally carry with you when caching?? :lol:
I'm new to this game (two finds so far - go me!), but here's what I carry (in either an army surplus daysack made from two bergen side pockets and a yoke or a plain black backpack for when I'm trying to be subtle):

o Water

o Snacks

o Plastic bags

o Palm T|X PDA (with Geocache-enabled GPS software and Pocket Queries)

o Bluetooth GPS (being replaced soon with a better SirfStar III unit)

o OS map of the area

o Lensatic compass

o Leatherman Charge Ti

o LED torch

o Several pens (including at least one permanent marker)

o Trade items

o Cash (never know when I might need to get a taxi or bus home!)

In addition, my significant other has a Garmin Geko 101 which she drives when joining me on a cache hunt - handy, as I worry less about using that in the rain than my Palm T|X (despite putting a bag over it, which works suprisingly well!).

-Gareth

Hey all!

I know it probably varies widely, but what do you normally carry with you when caching?? :laughing:

Thanks for your time!

1x GPS

1x Pen (Fisher Space Pen)

1x Palm w/Caches Loaded into Cachemate.

For me.....

I got "stuff", lots of stuff, just too darned much stuff. I tend to vary what "stuff" to bring along depending on what is in store.

I'm kinda frugal and cheap, so in lieu of the $50.00+ vests I opted for a simple $19.95 fishing vest available just about everywhere. Lots of pockets, light weight and durable. It is a bit shorter in the waist than the other but I find that a bonus as it is easy to strap on the fanny pack for water and room for more "stuff".

On ocassion such as when I snowshoe into a cache I will pull out the trusty backpack.

As for the "stuff". I guess just about everything that has been mentioned is somewhere in my inventory of "stuff". Plus a variety of 35mm & digital caneras and camcorder tend to tag along.

BTW what the heck did Lewis & Clark use?

Wait......where am I going to put that metal detector I have my eye on. (great for finding those ammo cans in the snow),

Just started...but I carry

GPS

LED flashlight

GI flaslight

First Aid Kit

Mechanix Gloves

Keys/Wallet/Cell Phone

Leatherman Multi-Tool

Extra Pens

Hydrastorm Water System

Folder with Cache Sheets

SWAG

WX Emergency Radio Scanner

Extra Batteries

Military E-Tool

Sunglasses if needed

Wind Speed Indicator (just for fun)

Compass

Extra Water Bottle

Extra Jacket if needed

I carry it all in a normal backpack.

We have gone back and forth in 2 years of caching of what to take and what to leave in the car and what to leave at home.

Running out the door, I never leave without:

clipboard

chapstick

labels

pen

travel bugs

GPSr

Husband

Nike Trail Runner shoes

Depending on where and how far we go:

water bottle

snacks

kid or two

walking stick

hat

sunscreen

If it's an event:

something for the potluck

geocoins

Hey all!

I know it probably varies widely, but what do you normally carry with you when caching?? :)

Thanks for your time!

This info. may help.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 4 , 2 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot, sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons, quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend software works great with these.....I'm including a list which may be of use to you......it was posted by a couple of us on our states website. You can get these on EBAY with extras.

LIST OF USUFULL GEOCACHING ITEMS

I can’t say that mine is better than any other because I have only used 1 other. But my Magellan Meridian Color with Mapsend Software gets the job done. I can carry the whole Southeast US on my 500 mb sd card and have plenty of room for more. That includes dirt and gravel roads. Last summer, I lead a column of cars carrying 19 people across the Florida countryside in the middle of the night for 4 hours, and I did it from the rear of the column via CB radio. Missing signs were not a problem. That’s real-time mapping capability in a practical application. Superior signal stability under harsh conditions, etc, etc. So Watcha, what kind of Magellan are you using? And what did you do to provoke it?

Doggy is right.......again.

Bamette and I each use a Meridian Platinum ( Magellan) with Directroute Software and I have a Platinum for a spare. With the SD card capability you can store maps, lists of caches, etc. ( an immense amount) and you also have an electronic compass, big screen, easy to use buttons, and maintain a lock under heavy canopy for hours. I also have two Garmins but the Platinums are the way to go.

Grab you a couple of Palms on ebay, download spinner and plucker, and you're good to go. On a cross country trip you could load dozens of spinner files ( one for each city?) on your Magellans SD card and use plucker to put each one on your Palm, charge your batteries, and you're ready for weeks of caching ( you can also get the Platinum GPS on ebay w/ lots of extras for about $150.).

A convenient holster will give you a place to carry and protect your gpsr. A PDA holster will do the same for your PDA. An adaptor for your cig lighter will stretch your batteries life. A probe will help you avoid biting varmints. A mirror with an intense pocket flashlight will get you past those out-of-sighters. I like to use a lensatic compass for precision. I also use a wrist compass clipped to my watchband for qlance orientation. That’s just on the weekends of course. I like it so much that I’m looking for 2 more, one for my dress watch and the other for my son. I guess they’re out of season? If you are really loaded for bear, bring along a metal detector. If the cache has a coin in it or is made of metal, it will give you the edge. I guess that’s about it. I’m not saying I do that. It’s an interesting thought though

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries .....these are the best made ( don't take my word for it, look it up ) then you will have plenty of batteries for your digital camera ( my wife and I each carry one), GPS unit, flashlights etc.

For a small , powerfull flashlight you can't beat a Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax ( 5 blinding watts of LED driven by two 3 volt lithium batteries.....the batteries are $15 for a box of twelve and have a 10 year shelf life....kind of pricy but well worth it...will light up the woods.

I don't know if the most important thing was mentioned....a good walking stick. Local cachers and special guests can get one free at the View Carre' cache.......don't leave your car without your stick.

Also a small pocket screwdriver for digging out micro logs and other probing.

AND DON’T FORGET TO BRING A PENCIL.

LIST From Above :

1. Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS Unit + Belt Holster (EBAY- If you will have a regular partner , get two )

2. Palm M500 PDA and case ( ebay- buy an extra for backup )

3. 12” metal probe for searching tree cavities etc. for micro caches

4. 2 “ or 3” extension mirror

5. Small, intense flashlight ( Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax )

6. Pencil

7. Sharpie ( Fine Point)

8. Cotton Gloves

9. Pocket Screwdriver

10. Walking stick

11. Plastimo Iris 50 Hand Bearing Compass ( Great for offset caches)

12. C401FSDC MAHA NiMH Battery Charger

13. Maha 2500 mAh NiMH PowerX AA Batteries (GPS,camera,flashlights,etc. )

14. Digital Camera

15. Access to computer w/ internet connection ( premium membership in geocaching.com is best )

INFORMATION ON PAPERLESS CACHING

I got started with step by step info. I got from the Florida Geocaching website and I keep copies here at my View Carre' cache to hand out to others. I am not hi tech and can't quite use my cell phone but this guide is can't miss. If you can't find it email me and I can fax it to you.

http://www.floridageocaching.com/paperless.htm = step by step instructions.

This post was brought to you by Dodge - You can Take life as it comes, or your can grab life by the horns. Dodge...J/k

This was a very detailed description. I wish I could be as detailed but -

Off the top of my head -

Belt pouch which carries multi-tool, flashlight, pen, tweezers, extra keys to both cars.

Treo 650 phone w/ web/camera to cover many contingencies.

Clipboard with printouts of today's caches.

Back pack usually has water, extra socks, book, radio (for caching during Cubs games of course) over the counter pain relievers, knee brace etc.

Now here's the sad part - aside from the clip board, that's what I carry every day.

Wow. Some of you must have semi-trailers that you can pull around with you.

My current companions are:

- Multi-function tool (pliers, knife, etc.)

- Cell phone

- Ink pen

- Pencil

- Sharpie

I planned to add (before reading this)

- small flashlight

- hiking/walking stick

I will keep in the car or truck bottles of water, small trade items and travel bugs (remove before cache hunt based on cache size), laptop, and map and route guide. I also keep my keys in the car (well hidden) and carry a spare. My car has the anti-theft system and keyless entry, and as a result, the keys have electronics on them. Don't want those to get wet...

Keep in mind that I haven't done any serious, extra-tough caches yet.

But after reading this thread, I'm going to add

- Whistle

- Magnet on a long string

Thanks for the thread! I actually came here looking for a thread like this or to start one myself...

I basically turned my geocaching kit (aka, a large camera bag I got at S.I.R.) into for all intents and purposes a survival bag. Hence, no matter where I go (forest, lake, pretty much any season), I'll be prepared:

1. Garmin GPSMap 60 CX

2. Hiking stick

3. Ball compass

4. Emergency medical kit (the usual gauze tape, bandaids, needle, thread, sterile swabs, gauze, etc, etc).

5. Emergency blanket (one of those silver, shiny things).

6. Whistle (hey, you never know)

7. About 6 feet of duct tape

8. Small Gerber multitool

9. One of those two AA-battery Maglights

10. General-use spiral notebook

11. Spare notebook (for a cache with a full notebook)

12. Two spare micro-notebooks (notebook able to fit in a film container)

13. Spare pencil

14. 3 spare micro-pencils

15. Pencil sharpener

16. Small rag (aka 'cut apart piece of an old shirt') to try to wipe down those wet logbooks, or anything else requiring a rag

17. Spare ziplock bags (about 10 or so)

18. Lip balm (it's dry up here quite often)

19. Spare batteries

20. Pressurized pen (can write at any angle).

21. Bag o' signature chainmail balls (see profile). About 10-15 of 'em.

22. Swag (not much... not often I trade for anything).

Still needed:

Big black garbage bag or two for CITO

Those water-pill or hydration-pill things (forget what they're called).

Emergency food supply (like one of those paste-things you can get at any survival store).

And all of the above (minus the hiking stick) fits inside the camera bag... and the GPS clips to the side.

EDIT: Hmm... mental note. Upon reading a comment of "cotton gloves" by someone... I should replace my scrap rag with one of those crappy 2 dollar gloves that can go on either hand. Kill two birds with one stone, and avoid running my fingers through spider webs :}

Edited by Kabuthunk