Event caches with "requirements"

DocDiTTo

To quote the guidelines on event caches:

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers.

I've seen event caches that require attendees to go find x number of traditional caches in order to attend the event. The coords to the event cache can only be obtained if you find all the required traditional caches before the event, and, according to one particular cache page, "To attend this event, you must find all 10 caches." (This is just one example, there are many others I'm sure)

The guidelines clearly state that event caches are "open to all geocachers". Do such requirements for events go against this guideline? It can be argued that "open to all geocachers" means that anyone is free to hunt for the prerequisite caches therefore the guideline is met, or it can be argued that such an event isn't open to all geocachers, because some folks may simply be unable to score all the prerequisite finds and are therefore excluded, even if they'd otherwise be able to attend the event.

Now, if such a prerequisite is acceptable, how about one which states "you must have at least 2000 finds to attend this event"? Is that prerequisite still acceptable, and "open to all geocachers"? What's the difference if the requirements are to find 10 caches, 100 caches, to have 2000 finds, or to own 50 or more hides? What if the requirement was that you "need to have been caching for 5 years or more"? If there's a line as to what's acceptable as "open to all" and what isn't, where is that line drawn?

Edit: minor clarification

Edited by DocDiTTo

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers.

I've seen event caches that require attendees to go find x number of traditional caches in order to attend the event. The coords to the event cache can only be obtained if you find all the required traditional caches before the event, and, according to one particular cache page, "To attend this event, you must find all 10 caches." (This is just one example, there are many others I'm sure)

The guidelines clearly state that event caches are "open to all geocachers". Do such requirements for events go against this guideline? It can be argued that "open to all geocachers" means that anyone is free to hunt for the prerequisite caches therefore the requirement is met, or it can be argued that such an event isn't open to all geocachers, because some folks may simply be unable to score all the prerequisite finds and are therefore excluded, even if they'd otherwise be able to attend the event.

Now, if such a prerequisite is acceptable, how about one which states "you must have at least 2000 finds to attend this event"? Is that prerequisite still acceptable, and "open to all geocachers"? What's the difference if the requirements are to find 10 caches, 100 caches, to have 2000 finds, or to own 50 or more hides? What if the requirement was that you "need to have been caching for 5 years or more"? If there's a line as to what's acceptable as "open to all" and what isn't, where is that line drawn?

WOW people are really that picky??????????????????? If you do stuff like this, GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by b1rdbrain

WOW people are really that picky??????????????????? If you do stuff like this, GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW my knees buckled under from the force of your argument. :rolleyes:

There are many geocachers who very much enjoy the challenge of something like Cache Across Maryland, where you find caches around the state in order to learn the location of the final event cache. I don't think they need to "grow up." Geocaching helps keep you young. :rolleyes:

The guidelines clearly state that event caches are "open to all geocachers". Do such requirements for events go against this guideline? It can be argued that "open to all geocachers" means that anyone is free to hunt for the prerequisite caches therefore the requirement is met, or it can be argued that such an event isn't open to all geocachers, because some folks may simply be unable to score all the prerequisite finds and are therefore excluded, even if they'd otherwise be able to attend the event.

is this aimed at the OP or the fact an event had requirements??

doc ditto has made a valid point in the fact not all cachers can get the requirements, and i would post a similar topic if were to happen in australia. to me putting requirements on event caches is not in the spirit of the game, i view geocaching as a way to get out of the house and meet other people aswell as having fun and that is what an event is supposed to do. just my opinion.

I noticed the "Listed with permission from Groundspeak." Which, come to think of it, every cache is listed with the permission of Groundspeak, but get what they're saying. They got special permission to post a cache where you have to be one of a certain group, in this case found all of CAM caches, in order to be accepted to attend.

See, at first I thought I was simply seeing a "mystery/event" cache. You had to determine the coords from the 10 caches. But like any puzzle you can short the hunt if you can figure it out a different way. Not the case with this one apparently as it states on the mdgps.org site, "We will have an event for those who complete the CAM." In other words, even if you figure out where it's going to be, you can't attend. No, it's not spelled out in that way, but it doesn't say anything about the other either.

Additionally, you have to find 10 caches that aren't even listed on the GC.com. They are privately listed on the state's website.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: fixed some stuff

Edited by CoyoteRed

Actually they are not even listed privately on the website. If you sign up for the CAM you receive the cordinates in an email from the coordinator and you don't have to be a member to receive the information.

The event is open to everyone that completes the caches. Each cacher has the same ability to complete the caches and attend the event.

You may have to be a part of a certain group but every cacher has the ability to be part of the special group. No one is excluded from finding all the caches in order to attend the event.

This will come as no surprise, :rolleyes: , but I am glad that Groundspeak retains the right to use judgement and discretion. The Guidelines should be a bit flexible.

Yet, I am on the fence about this one.

In this case I don't see a whole lot of restriction - you have to find 10 caches to attend.

We are geocachers. Finding geocaches is what we do.

If anyone this will restrict out-of-town attendees who may not have time to hunt them, and maybe the handicacher who can't get to all of them, but it looks like anyone else can go get them and qualify.

Being an out-of-towner to this event, if I did happen to be in town that day and wanted to attend, I couldn't.

Being a handicacher myself, if I were excluded from this event because I couldn't get to the requisite caches would likely torque me a bit.

The requirement to find the 10 caches cannot in fact be met by everyone.

OTOH I think that requiring the event to be open to everyone is improper too. Why CAN'T there be an event for 1k+ cachers? Heck, there are events and parties all over town today that I am not invited too, and I don't worry about that.

Clayjar's AlaskaQuest comes to mind. He bolted an ammo can to his bumper and drove from New Orleans to the Arctic Circle and back, stopping at highway rest areas and restaraunts to meet folks and let them log the cache. It too was a special-permit event, one few could participate in, a moving cache, all sorts of Guideline violations, but it was fun and enjoyable and memorable and perfectly right for Groundspeak to list.

So, mixed feelings, but I come down on the side of 'not every event has to be open to everyone', and agree with Groundspeak's decision to list this one.

Ed

It's not like there's a lack of non CAM Picnics in MD. There's some sort of get-together going on almost every month.

There's one today in fact.

What's your beef? That you can't attend an event (which I might add, it looks like you haven't attended any of the normal MGS events), you have to travel the length of MD to get the co-ords, or you want Groundspeak to create a whole new category (Puzzle-Event??)

CAM is fun. You don't have to be a member of some secret group in order to do it. The info is public.

Ok, I'm an out of towner with respect to CAM. Matter of fact, I live farther from Maryland that Doc does. Guess what, that didn't stop me from finding the 10 CAM caches, and attending the picnic the last two years. Several others from PA have done CAM as well.

The CAM caches are listed on gc.com on/shortly after the day of the picnic. They're kept off-site before hand to cut down on the chances of them going missing before the people wanting to attend the picnic have had a chance to find them all.

The event is open to anyone willing to sign up for the e-mail about the caches, and then find them. I don't see this as being any different than a cache on a rock face that requires special climbing skills and equipment or a cache at the bottom of a bay that requires SCUBA. Both of those examples can be said to be limited access, but they're open to anyone with the skills and equipment, or the willingness to get the needed equipment and training.

I've also seen "traditional" caches with logging requirements on number of finds. The cache was only loggable by cachers with LESS than a certain number of finds. If you had more than that number, you had to hide X number of a particular type of cache before you were allowed to log a find on said cache.

I don't see where there's an issue here.

Edited by IV_Warrior

I don't want this thread to turn into an Anti-CAM / Pro-CAM discussion. I used CAM as an example only because it's the one event I've heard of that has specific attendance prerequisites and states so right on the cache page. I know it's fun, and people who attend enjoy it. If I had the time to drive the 1000 or so miles and log the 10 caches I'd probably enjoy it too. Consider it as just one example, not as the topic of discussion.

Any event caches which have prerequisites for attendance don't appear to be "open to all geocachers" as stated in the guidelines. As such, do they all require special permission from Groundspeak? Such events are open to all geocachers, with exceptions::

- As Alabama Rambler said, handicapped cachers may find it impossible to complete the requirements

- New cachers might not have been caching long enough to have time to meet the requirements

- Out of the area cachers might not have time/money to travel and meet the requirements

I was wondering what types of exceptions are acceptable? Obviously finding a dozen or so caches is considered acceptable, with special permission. How about:

- requiring cachers with only x number of finds or hides?

- requiring cachers who have been caching more than/less than some number of years?

Some of these things people have control over, some they don't. Just like some required caches can be found by most everyone, and some can't.

This is an Event where meeting, greeting, and comraderie is supposed to go on. Why would you want to exclude someone only because he didn't fulfill a requirement? This person could be the nicest, coolest person on the block and just didn't have the time to do what was required.

I don't care for this at all, but i guess it's not specifically excluding anyone and therefore, i suppose acceptable. Now, to me it does seem odd that a person has to find 10 NON GC.com listed caches in order to attend a GC.com listed Event.

Edit: I just saw where the CAM caches are listed on GC.com the day of the picnic or after. This practice is something i have never cared for either but it seems to be acceptable to many in the geocaching community.

Edited by Mudfrog

I'm not exactlly sure what someone would think they were accomplishing with a cache found requirement. Also, if the requirements were more restrictive it would be pointless to list it on a public site. At that point it would just be bragging. It would be best to simply email those few able to attend.

I would think it would be hard to enforce such a requirement, particularly if the event was in a public place. You'd have to have internet access to verify find counts of those who didn't RSVP. Then what about those who don't log thier finds? What about teams? Does the need need to have 10 total finds or 10 finds for each member of the team or 10 finds for each member in attenance? What about guests? Do they need 10 finds also? Can your guest be a geocacher with less than 10 finds? Too many headaches if you ask me.

This is an Event where meeting, greeting, and comraderie is supposed to go on. Why would you want to exclude someone only because he didn't fulfill a requirement? This person could be the nicest, coolest person on the block and just didn't have the time to do what was required.

I don't care for this at all, but i guess it's not specifically excluding anyone and therefore, i suppose acceptable. Now, to me it does seem odd that a person has to find 10 NON GC.com listed caches in order to attend a GC.com listed Event.

Edit: I just saw where the CAM caches are listed on GC.com the day of the picnic or after. This practice is something i have never cared for either but it seems to be acceptable to many in the geocaching community.

Geocachers have been trying to get events to introduce people to geocaching approved for as long as I can remember. Most all of them never get listed because events are ment to be for geocachers. If events where you need to have over a certain number of finds are getting listed I wonder if events with requirements that you have NOT found over a certain number of geocaches could also be listed. For example an event to introduce new people to geocaching and to help improve caching technique, where anyone with more than 5 cache finds arn't welcome. Anyone with 5 finds already would have to be careful not to log the event until after they attend.

If someone called me up and asked me my opinion about requirements to attend an event, I'd say there shouldn't be any requirement other than attending. Now if the event was say, an underwater scuba-diving event, well I might not be able to make it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I usually don't reply on forums as I am more of a lurker, but I feel it needs to be mentioned that at the current time there is an event for Pennsylvania for which you have to find 8 caches in order to find the coordinates of the final event. The difference between this and CAM is that these caches are already listed on geocaching.com and there is a sentence about contacting them if you can not get the 10 caches due to physical limitations. I am not sure if this means physical as in handicapped or as in "I don't feel like driving all that distance to find the caches." I truly feel if someone had a physical disability that prevented them from completing CAM exceptions could be made although I am not in the authority to say that for sure. I am prevented from doing any cache that requires a boat, SCUBA diving, rock climbing, etc. so I find another one to do. There are many events to attend that don't require anything more than following your GPSr to the event, that one out of many that requires a little more work should not be a big deal. I did CAM this year and part of the fun of attending the event was the shared stories of driving that 1000 miles to claim the caches and meeting others on the trails doing the same thing.

The guidelines clearly state that event caches are "open to all geocachers". Do such requirements for events go against this guideline? It can be argued that "open to all geocachers" means that anyone is free to hunt for the prerequisite caches therefore the guideline is met, or it can be argued that such an event isn't open to all geocachers, because some folks may simply be unable to score all the prerequisite finds and are therefore excluded, even if they'd otherwise be able to attend the event.

Edit: minor clarification

My recommendation would be to take your appeal for an exemption to TPTB just as the MGS did. If TPTB feel your event meets the spirit of the guidelines as the CAM did, it will be approved.

Since the CAM event was the only one listed (so far) in this thread, and people seem to like the CAM event, perhaps, like many aspects of geocaching, it's a regional thing. There was an event not long ago in this area that was similar to this - you had to find a certain number of the host's caches to get the coords to attend. With one twist - there were point values assigned, it was not simply the number of caches. AND, here's the kicker - if you had ALREADY (as in previously) found one or more of these caches (they were all listed at times prior to the event), you only got HALF the point value - meaning that you had to REFIND some caches if you had already done most of his caches (got that?). The event host said that this was to "level" the field, but I think it served to penalize the long-standing and/or high numbers cachers (and I am admittedly part of that group).

BUT, I didn't object simply because it penalized ME, I just thought the whole thing was tacky. IMO, event caches are for socializing, meeting new cachers, and encouraging old and new cachers to attend. If CAM is popular, then hey, that's cool, far be it from me to object to their event if it works for them. But, it didn't work here - in an area that regularly draws 50-100 teams to the local events, I think only 11 (or something like that) logged this one (when I asked people if they were going, most said, "um, no."). <_<

Oh, I missed your link.

To be blunt, the vast majority of the locals thought it was "stupid." Thirteen people (including the event owner) attended (and I know of three who attended simply to garner another find).

I am a firm believer that a cache owner can put whatever requirements (within the guidelines) they wish on their caches. And I have no problem dressing like a chimpanzee and swinging from a tree branch to log a cache. I have a cache in my radius that I will probably never find because it is in a small cave - and I am claustrophobic - and that's OK (and hey, maybe it will be the site of a future therapy session!). But I think that event caches are a different animal, and requirements like this sort of go against the "spirit" of an event.

I know a lot of people complained to one another about this event, and even complained to the cache owner. But no one complained (that I am aware) in the local forum on gc, and no one that I talked to had tried to get the event shut down - people simply didn't attend. Whenever some poor newbie complains about a cache in this forum, there's usually the "If you don't like it, don't do it" battle-cry - and in this case, that's exactly what happened.

If CAM is popular, then hey, that's cool, far be it from me to object to their event if it works for them. But, it didn't work here - in an area that regularly draws 50-100 teams to the local events, I think only 11 (or something like that) logged this one (when I asked people if they were going, most said, "um, no."). :laughing:

Popular, yes, this years the CAM had 75 attended logs, compared to the last two picnics I have attended which only had 50 and 61 attended logs.

Actually there's a link to that cache in my post above, and I had wondered what locals thought about it.

JRR

Clicked the link, started reading, and it didn'take long before i figured out that this person had put out an event that was all about him/her. This kind of thing turns me off, it's kinda like me throwing my own birthday party. :laughing: It would be totally different if someone else put the event out for this person. Either way, i still don't care for having requirements to attend an event but again, i guess they are acceptable since most everyone has a chance to complete them if they wish.

There are many geocachers who very much enjoy the challenge of something like Cache Across Maryland, where you find caches around the state in order to learn the location of the final event cache. I don't think they need to "grow up." Geocaching helps keep you young. :)
If CAM is popular, then hey, that's cool, far be it from me to object to their event if it works for them. But, it didn't work here - in an area that regularly draws 50-100 teams to the local events, I think only 11 (or something like that) logged this one (when I asked people if they were going, most said, "um, no."). :laughing:

Popular, yes, this years the CAM had 75 attended logs, compared to the last two picnics I have attended which only had 50 and 61 attended logs.

camnumbersjo3.jpg

The numbers speak for themselves.

Our events are always open to anybody and everybody. With a cache that's "outside the box", you can appeal to Groundspeak to make an exception. If it's still within the spirit of the guidelines, they can (and do) grant exceptions. That is what happened here with the CAM. The first year, there was no guidelines issue. Last year and this year we needed to appeal because of the "open to everybody" clause in the event guidelines. Groundspeak recognized that we were trying to do something a little different, and authorized the exception (noted on the cache page).

We have had a lot of new people start geocaching because of CAM since we promote it locally and send press releases. One couple started when they heard about CAM a couple of years ago on the radio. They're now officers of our club.

When the 2004 CAM was over, our forums were filled with discussion of "next year's CAM". Same with 2005, and now with 2006. Each year we plan a little bit more, and a bit better, and we do a survey to get input from people on various aspects so the next year's event is better than the previous. Seems to be working so far.

robert

I just think that an event would be something that you would want all geocachers to attend. What happens when your best caching buddy can't attend because he/she didn't get to fulfill the requirements? Wouldn't it take some of the fun away from the both of you in this case? There are alot of reasons why someone might not be able to complete the requirements and therefore they are automatically excluded from something that is supposed to be open to everyone.

On the other hand, i have to admit that the CAM idea sounds like fun since i do like challenges like this. Just not for the event itself. There are other ways to incorporate this into the event, maybe cachers who complete CAM could have their names thrown into a hat for a special door prize or something.

I guess what is missing here is that the CAM picnic really is not the event, the event is getting together with your good caching buddies, and setting off on an epic journey across the state of Maryland. The picnic, well that is just a bonus, a time for us all to reflect on the journey we chose to undertake, the true treasure is the journey itself. Would I partake in CAM if the event was not listed, of course, but if CAM were not list on GC.com then it would truly limit these events to just those who are members of the Maryland Geocaching Society. Instead by it being listing on GC.com the event is open to anyone willing and able to partake in the journey.

I just think that an event would be something that you would want all geocachers to attend.

We have events each month, this one is "special" for the reasons already listed. We've had people complete all 10 caches even though they knew ahead of time the event date wouldn't make it possible for them to attend for one reason or another. They still did the tour. They still found all 10 just to say they did it!

What happens when your best caching buddy can't attend because he/she didn't get to fulfill the requirements?

Same as if he/she was sick that day and couldn't make it. I'd go and have a good time! :)

Wouldn't it take some of the fun away from the both of you in this case?

No. In this case not everyone can make it. Sure you miss a few people but our events are all full of "friends". You don't go to the events to see your usual buddies, you go to see the other people you know and like--the other people whose names you've seen in the logbook.

:laughing:

Can anyone actually post an event where you have to have a certain number of finds to attend (excluding events where you have to find the required caches to find the cordinates to the event)?

Not really. This one was just held today, but anyone could attend. Everyone's logging it 8 times, but that's a whole 'nother thread :laughing:

...But I think that event caches are a different animal, and requirements like this sort of go against the "spirit" of an event.

I know a lot of people complained to one another about this event, and even complained to the cache owner. But no one complained (that I am aware) in the local forum on gc, and no one that I talked to had tried to get the event shut down - people simply didn't attend. Whenever some poor newbie complains about a cache in this forum, there's usually the "If you don't like it, don't do it" battle-cry - and in this case, that's exactly what happened.

I have never gone to an event. As to why, there's never been one close enough to me for me to think about attending.

But as to this discussion I am also on the fence.

On one hand I would be pretty dissappointed if as a sort of "newbie" (though since i've been geocaching for 8 months I don't really like that term applied to me) I were not allowed to go to the first event close enough to me that I could attend.

But as to the 1k requirements I think that is actually more of a better idea. I am nowhere near 1k and that would be explination enough of me not attending if everyone who was attending had a huge amount under their belt. The requirement would also tell me that the hides would be hard and just not for me yet.

But 10 or 100. That just seems silly. I could have 100, if I had the weels and gas money to take me to all those geocaches :laughing:

I guess what is missing here is that the CAM picnic really is not the event, the event is getting together with your good caching buddies, and setting off on an epic journey across the state of Maryland. The picnic, well that is just a bonus, a time for us all to reflect on the journey we chose to undertake, the true treasure is the journey itself. Would I partake in CAM if the event was not listed, of course, but if CAM were not list on GC.com then it would truly limit these events to just those who are members of the Maryland Geocaching Society. Instead by it being listing on GC.com the event is open to anyone willing and able to partake in the journey.

The event for me was finding all the caches and visiting the differant parts of Md. that I would never have even knew were there. Yes it was very challenging and cost me some gas $ to complete...but it was my choice and well worth it. I was still kinda new to caching when I did it. I got to meet more people during the hunt for these caches than I would've just searching for regular ones. Thats most of the fun. The other part of the fun was following everybodys progress and their stories of finding them on the MGS forums. If all the events and caches were the same this would be a boring sport and probably fade pretty quickly.

Just my .02

What happens when your best caching buddy can't attend because he/she didn't get to fulfill the requirements?

Same as if he/she was sick that day and couldn't make it. I'd go and have a good time! :unsure:

Oh, my! That's just ... :laughing: My caching buddy and I would definitely go caching somewhere else!

(LadeBear68 @ Aug 26 2006, 10:19 AM)

Can anyone actually post an event where you have to have a certain number of finds to attend (excluding events where you have to find the required caches to find the cordinates to the event)?

Not really. This one was just held today, but anyone could attend. Everyone's logging it 8 times, but that's a whole 'nother thread

Remind me again why anoyone would log the same cache eight times?

:) (Oop. Off-topic...)

But as to the 1k requirements I think that is actually more of a better idea. I am nowhere near 1k and that would be explination enough of me not attending if everyone who was attending had a huge amount under their belt. The requirement would also tell me that the hides would be hard and just not for me yet.

But 10 or 100. That just seems silly. I could have 100, if I had the weels and gas money to take me to all those geocaches :laughing:

There are no 1K requirements to the event in Erie, it was a celebration of those who found 1K caches.

It's good to see that some of my original questions were answered - specifically by Robert, in that the CAM event was granted special permission by Groundspeak, which implies that events must indeed be open to all unless special permission to do otherwise is granted. I know CAM is a big deal to a lot of people, and my intention with starting this thread was never to criticize CAM or attempt to change it, just to understand how it and similar events could be held in adherence to the guidelines. I'm glad that Groundspeak does allow exceptions, as CAM is certainly one that's near and dear to many.

As far as the geocoin trading event, it's held by cachers and open to all cachers, so I don't see a problem there.

But 10 or 100. That just seems silly. I could have 100, if I had the weels and gas money to take me to all those geocaches :(

There are no 1K requirements to the event in Erie, it was a celebration of those who found 1K caches.

Of course not, and I never implied that it was :anibad: I was just figuring that because the OP is from Pa., maybe he was thinking about that when referring to events held for cachers with X number of finds. I've not heard of any, and no one has come forward with links to any.

As far as the CAM event, that is a very interesting conversation. Where's that popcorn thingy? :rolleyes:

Not really. This one was just held today, but anyone could attend. Everyone's logging it 8 times, but that's a whole 'nother thread :rolleyes:

The event is to recognize everyone who recently made it to 1000 finds. It's open to everyone. So it's barely on point to even link to it here. There are dozens of events each year to celebrate someone reaching a milestone find.

By the way, not "everyone" logged the event multiple times to get credit for the temporary event caches. You'll see only one log from me on the cache page, 'cause I believe I can only "attend" an event one time. Yet, I had a wonderful time hanging out with those immoral multiple-logging heathens. Is that enough of a sin to have me kicked out of the Puritans club?

By the way, not "everyone" logged the event multiple times to get credit for the temporary event caches. You'll see only one log from me on the cache page, 'cause I believe I can only "attend" an event one time. Yet, I had a wonderful time hanging out with those immoral multiple-logging heathens. Is that enough of a sin to have me kicked out of the Puritans club?

Guilt by association. Yer banned. Turn in your card. :rolleyes:

Of course not, and I never implied that it was :rolleyes: I was just figuring that because the OP is from Pa., maybe he was thinking about that when referring to events held for cachers with X number of finds. I've not heard of any, and no one has come forward with links to any.

I wasn't referring to the Thousandaire's Picnic. I don't know of any published events that require cachers to have X number of finds to attend. Since there have been caches which require 10 or so finds as a prerequisite that have been allowed, it's a possibility that other types of restricted events would be allowed also. I was simply posing the question of whether that specific type of restriction would, or should, be allowed.

Edited by DocDiTTo

Guilt by association. Yer banned. Turn in your card. :rolleyes:

Naw, I say we let him stay.