The Official Pool

StarBrand

I want GCABCDE!

That's funny.

You could try for GC12345 as well.

Since I am obviously avoiding actually working today, I started wondering if there were ever words made with the GC numbers.

I found GCRAZY, but it is archived now.

GCACHE doesn't exist, and neither does GCCOIN, GCOIN, or GCOLOR. GCRAMP is active though, and GCRASH turns up a disabled cache in Estonia. :wub: What other ones can you think of?

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZZZZ HAS NOT BEEN PUBLISHED at 9:09pm mst (utah, USA)

This is what I get when I report this is the current waypoint

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.DisplayNavigation() +69

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +66

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1103

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +560

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +772

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Then I backup one letter/number.

My estimate for GCZZZZ is now at December 25, 2006.

I know its christmas day but That is what I am guessing now.

Um...did Jeremy patch this? I don't get Server Errors any more for GC numbers that aren't likely to have been taken yet.

For example,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCZYYY

It says "not published yet"...did we go from GCZQ.. to GCZZZZ in a day? I doubt it. This makes it somewhat more difficult to see how close we are or when it's actually taken...which may be the point.

They could actually auction off GCZZZZ and GCAAAAA and make some money. :P

Other combinations could be sold if someone wanted them. GCMICRO :(

When NJ went from 6 digit license plates to 7 digits in '93, I applied for (and received) the tag 'REVOKED' for my '65 Chevelle - which I had some fun with. :(

Won't the first 5 digit one be GC00001?

Edited by sbell111

We are on: GCZVD2

You still can check on the status of issued caches. If it has been assigned, but not published the error message is: Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published.

However if it hasn't been issued yet, it is: This cache has not been published yet.

It looks like we are up to GCZX17.....

At the rate we are going it looks like December 25th will be the magic day! :(

As of right now, we are up to GCZXMZ.....

So 510168 - 509556 = 612. This means there have been 612 numbers spoken for/published in the last two days!

Since GCZZZZ = 512400 that means that there are only 2232 caches left until GC00001! If the current two day trend continues we should hit GC00001 in approximately 3.65 days (2232/612)! So that means that December 25th should be the magic day! :D

It looks like we are up to GCZX17.....

At the rate we are going it looks like December 25th will be the magic day! :(

As of right now, we are up to GCZXMZ.....

So 510168 - 509556 = 612. This means there have been 612 numbers spoken for/published in the last two days!

Since GCZZZZ = 512400 that means that there are only 2232 caches left until GC00001! If the current two day trend continues we should hit GC00001 in approximately 3.65 days (2232/612)! So that means that December 25th should be the magic day! :D

Hmmmm...

The GC numbers are basically base 36 (0-9 then A-Z). 36^4 = 1,679,616 combinations (not counting the small quantity that may be disallowed that form excluded words). Looks like you were only considering A-Z, but the 4th root of 512400 isn't exactly 26 either? You also used a 2 day rate to calculate the remaining time in error.

http://www.geocities.com/xulfrepus/folder/base.html

GCZX17 = 1675771

GCZXMZ = 1676555

-------------------------

rate of 774 caches over 2 days

GCZZZZ = 1679615 - 1676555 (last cache) = 3060 caches

3060 caches / 387 caches a day = 7.9 days, or December 29th.

Of course, a 2 day sample is pretty small, and the rate will likely accelerate somewhat with people wanting the last 4 digit cache. Please double check my math for errors!

Also, the rollover cache has to be GC10000 not GC00001, or all those people that drop the GC from the WP's are going to be in a world of hurt if their programs drop leading zeros (GCWXYZ = GC0WXYZ).

Tony

Edited by bitmap

It's actually Base 31! I used Fizzymagic's online application to calculate my figures....

I see now this was discussed back on page 1. Apologies for not reading from the start again.

Interesting...found this old thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...3&hl=base36

I'm guessing the site you listed takes the numbering change made in 2003 into account.

So, 612 over 2 days = 306 per day, and with 2232 numbers remaining, 7.3 days, or 12/28 until the rollover.

Using a larger sample size, GCXZA4 on 8/26 and GCZXMZ on 12/21, that's a delta of 57996 caches over 117 days or 495 caches a day. That would put the rollover on 2232 / 495 = 4.5 days, 12/25 or 12/26. You still might be right Trailgators! :(

Thanks,

Tony

It's actually Base 31! I used Fizzymagic's online application to calculate my figures....

I see now this was discussed back on page 1. Apologies for not reading from the start again.

Interesting...found this old thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...3&hl=base36

I'm guessing the site you listed takes the numbering change made in 2003 into account.

So, 612 over 2 days = 306 per day, and with 2232 numbers remaining, 7.3 days, or 12/28 until the rollover.

Using a larger sample size, GCXZA4 on 8/26 and GCZXMZ on 12/21, that's a delta of 57996 caches over 117 days or 495 caches a day. That would put the rollover on 2232 / 495 = 4.5 days, 12/25 or 12/26. You still might be right Trailgators! :(

Thanks,

Tony

Actually I screwed up my math because I divided by 620 instead of 310. Anyhow, I think the 28th is more likely especially because of the slowdown as people get busy with the holiday weekend.....

What is the number after 999 in base 10? Is it 0001? 0000? No? Then why would you expect that behavior in base 31?

Not sure it is really base 31 but it could be I suppose - if so then I guess we should expect to see GC10000

Instructively none of the following caches seem to exist:

GCZ

GCZZ

GCZZZ (makes you wonder if GCZZZZ will ever exist :o )

GC0

GC00

GC000

GC0000

GC01

GC001

GC0001

but

GC10

GC100, and

GC1000

do exist

Edited by Geofellas

I don't remember if I posted my quess before, but it is Jan 13th 2007.

I bet that they will not let it run all the way to GCZZZZ. If they did then there would be a huge hit on the servers as everyone stacked up a bunch of cache listings (all with the "cache is ready to go" thing unchecked of course) waiting to hit the "Go" button at what they thought was the right time. I think we will be surprised when GC10000 happens before anyone expects it to.

The lack of caches called GCZ, GCZZ, and GCZZZ - or even anywhere leading up to those numbers - provides a precedent.

If I were running the show that's what I would do to save undue strain on my system.

I bet that they will not let it run all the way to GCZZZZ. If they did then there would be a huge hit on the servers as everyone stacked up a bunch of cache listings (all with the "cache is ready to go" thing unchecked of course) waiting to hit the "Go" button at what they thought was the right time

Given all the hype and publicity that this event has been given, I suspect a virtual geo-riot would break out if they were to bypass GCZZZZ.

And that would crash the servers. :o

Edited by surferacf1
Instructively none of the following caches seem to exist:

GCZ

GCZZ

GCZZZ (makes you wonder if GCZZZZ will ever exist :o )

Those don't exist because waypoints up to GCFFFF were in hexadecimal. All this has been extensively discussed in many earlier threads. I have a definitive waypoint-to-number mapper online here.

GCZZZZ will quite certainly exist.