The Official Pool

StarBrand

I guess I always figured we'd start using "GO" prefixes (get it? G-O, geo). I can't afford a new GPS.

Can't use "GD," people would think you're flamin' their cache.

"GE?" Nah, the Sylvania people would get upset.

"GA?" Nah, the Geoholics Anonymous people would fall off the wagon.

"GB?"

Noun 1. GB - a highly toxic chemical nerve agent that inhibits the activity of cholinesterase:

sarin.

Organophosphate nerve agent - any of a series of nerve agents containing organophosphate compounds first synthesized by German chemists in 1936; in World War II the Germans tested them in concentration camps but not on the battlefield; Iraq is alleged to have used them against Iran and against the Kurds

Not goin' there.

"GH?"

GH: abbr. growth hormone
Nope, automatic 4 game suspension.

"GM?" Nah, the Dodge and Ford people would get upset.

"GN?"

Gn: abbr. Bible: Genesis
Nope, ACLU would sue.

"GZ?" Maybe, means "Ground Zero," a term geocachers use for the spot where their GPS says the cache OUGHT to be.

I still like "GO," though. I've never seen "o" confused with "0" or "1" confused with "l," maybe I'm using the wrong font.

Oh, to be OT, I'll say 7 Dec. Pearl Harbor day.

Edited by Spencersb

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZB5Z at 12:17pm mst (utah, USA)

My estimate for GCZZZZ is now at December 25, 2006.

I know its christmas day but That is what I am guessing now.

Witch is not yet published. :rolleyes:

Edit: GCZB77 is published though

Edited by baø

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZB5Z at 12:17pm mst (utah, USA)

Witch is not yet published. :)

Edit: GCZB77 is published though

Well soh everyone's using their birtday....Dec 30th 1:20pm

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZCDD at 11:03pm mst (utah, USA)

This is what I get when I report this is the current waypoint

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.DisplayNavigation() +69

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +66

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1103

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +560

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +772

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Then I backup one letter/number.

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZCZS at 12:44pm mst (utah, USA)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZH71 at 11:28am mst (utah, USA)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

Kinda reminds me of the Y2K doomsday hooplah...all GPS's will soon crash!!! :rolleyes:

It all depends on whether there's enough time for exploiters to profit from the fear. :( First step is to give this potential fiasco a catchy name... like The GC7 Crash. :laughing:

I'm surprised no enterpeneur has hyped the situation. The least I expected was a GC7 Geocoin, and maybe a hyped up software that can solve this problem for just $9.99!! Call Now. Operators are standing by.

Here's an interesting tidbit, or at least it was to me. Over on the Waymarking side, we just went to 6 letters/numbers. In other words, WM1000 was just listed. Now I know many of you are anti-Waymarking so this don't matter a whole hill of beans, but for the couple 100 or so of us die hards that do participate, it's a nice milestone. Pretty cool, two milestones within about a month of each other.

Kinda reminds me of the Y2K doomsday hooplah...all GPS's will soon crash!!! :huh:

It all depends on whether there's enough time for exploiters to profit from the fear. :cry: First step is to give this potential fiasco a catchy name... like The GC7 Crash. :laughing:

I'm surprised no enterpeneur has hyped the situation. The least I expected was a GC7 Geocoin, and maybe a hyped up software that can solve this problem for just $9.99!! Call Now. Operators are standing by.

Why do they always make those operators stand by, give 'em a chair and let 'em sit.

Kinda reminds me of the Y2K doomsday hooplah...all GPS's will soon crash!!! :blink:

It all depends on whether there's enough time for exploiters to profit from the fear. ;) First step is to give this potential fiasco a catchy name... like The GC7 Crash. :unsure:

Why do they always make those operators stand by, give 'em a chair and let 'em sit.

Oh, brother. This is starting to sound like that lame Progressive commercial. :)

If (OK, not if;when) some idiot thinks it's a good idea to list'n'archive scores of dud caches to get to the fabled ZZZZ, I'd liove to be the reviewer.

I'd take such delight in 'accidentally' hitting the archive button and saying "Oops! Slipped! Oh, well, no harm done. Just paste the contents into a new listing and I'll publish that instead!" :D

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZKPS at 9:31pm mst (utah, USA)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

It looks like GC00001 will happen in early January.....

So I'll take my birthday Jan 4th as the magic date! :tired:

Im guessing December 28th.

Does anyone know what the codes will change to?

Its like Y2K all over again!

Just add a character = GCxxxxx

Really? So GCZZZZ wouldn't be equivalent to GC0ZZZZ? 9999 = 09999. Leading zeros shouldn't count.

I'd hope they'd roll over the next most significant digit.

GCZZZY, GCZZZZ, GC10000, GC10001, etc. That makes the most sense, IMHO.

-Tony

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZMYK at 9:13pm mst (utah, USA)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

UPDATE

Current Waypoint is GCZNJT at 10:00pm mst (utah, USA)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

I am new here and I have a older GPS III Plus but it only supports up to 6 characters for waypoints. What happens when it changes over? If I try to load the new waypoint, will it drop the last character? I am sorry if this was covered in another topic.

On my Garmin eTrex anyhow, the last character gets dropped, so GC12345 will show up as GC1234. As mentioned elsewhere, you can remove the "GC" in the waypoint before transferring it to your GPSr by GSAK, GPX Spinner, text editor, etc. so it'll show as 12345.

Waymarking just hit 6 character waypoint WMxxxx, so it'll be a while before you'll have to be really creative in not confusing the two on the same GPSr.