The Official Pool

StarBrand

I am not a math wizard, so correct me if I am wrong, but...

4 digits that are changeable.

Each of the digits can contain the letters A thru Z and the numbers 0 thru 9. This makes a total of 36 different digits for each position.

So, 36 times 36 times 36 times 36 = 1,679,616 different combinations.

Is this not how it works? Can someone please enlighten me.

Each of the digits can contain the letters A thru Z and the numbers 0 thru 9. This makes a total of 36 different digits for each position.

Some letters are not used because of their similarity to numbers or to prevent the spelling of dirty words.

I don't recall off-hand what they are, but there you go. It's under 36.

And now to something totally different:

From the caches in my GSAK-base (about 3300 caches in Norway). I sat down and counted :) the 3rd digit in the waypoint name (the one after GC) and found:

3rdDigit/Count

G 141

H 131

J 257

K 341

M 226

N 256

P 303

Q 280

R 136

T 76

V 174

W 346

Y 184

Why so few T's?

Many offending words in english starting with T?

Seems to be about 30.000 waypoint combinations left before expanding the code is required.

No date guessing from me, but it may be close to my birthday as well. :)

And now to something totally different:

From the caches in my GSAK-base (about 3300 caches in Norway). I sat down and counted :) the 3rd digit in the waypoint name (the one after GC) and found:

3rdDigit/Count

G 141

H 131

J 257

K 341

M 226

N 256

P 303

Q 280

R 136

T 76

V 174

W 346

Y 184

Why so few T's? ...

My guess is that they were cruising through the Ts during winter.

See this thread and post #30

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...4&hl=gczzzz

Edited by StarBrand
Using the 4 digits that are changeable, that makes a total of 1,679,616 caches that can be hidden with the present system. Don't think we will run out in the near future.

Um, no. The present system allows for 512,400 caches. Today we are at around 477,500, which only leaves around 35,000 left to go. At the rate they are being placed, we're getting close to the end.

this thread confuses me :huh: Or embarrasses me <_< Now I know why I hardly ever figure out puzzle caches. :wacko: Maybe I'm not smart enough for this sport. :wub: I am forever thankful for my GPSr to do the work for me most of the time! <_<

Oh, and how about November 4th. My geo anniversary date!

Edited by HBmamaG

I narrowed down the geocache codes assigned and it appears that at 7:21am my time (PST) today GCYW0H is the last one that has been assigned (but not yet published).

I have hidden hopes of getting one of my new geocache ideas assigned to GCZZZZ - yeah, right, like that'll happen (but you never know ;) )

I listed 8 caches yesterday, 15/10/06 about 1.30pm AEST. It took me a little over an hour to list the 8. Their waypoints are, in order, GCYWG9, GCYWGE, GCYWGK, GCYWGV, GCYWH0, GCYWH4, GCYWHA, GCYWHG. You can see how fast the cache waypoint names are assigned, and used. And to disprove the theory that all the combinations of letters and numerals for the last 4 places are used, one of those caches listed is a christmas themed cache, which got me wondering if GCXMAS had been assigned. It has, but if you search for GCXMA5, you get the same cache. So in saying that, I would be surprised if GCZZZZ gets used, as it would be so close to GC2222, or any of the combinations of 2 or Z

Edited by Bundyrumandcoke

is there an issue with just adding another digit? or is this just a benchmark?

I'm a noob, so I don't know.

Actually there is an issue if you are using older GPSr's that are limited to 6 waypoint letters, like the older Garmin eTrex's and Gekos. You can get around this by using tools to filter your waypoints, like GPX Spinner or GSAK/gpsbabel.

You can also upgrade to a newer GPSr, then people won't call you cheap. :unsure:

Hello,

there are just 31 letters used in Geocaching, as far as I understand it.

But I don't get why the first to positions are "wasted" with GC, thats redundant information.

And I don't see why O and 0 or 1 and I can get confused? Most users never type in the numbers, it's all copy and paste or transferred with a software, so why bother?

Even if someone confuses a zero for an O, I asssume that will not be the end of the world. Just read some FAQ und they will help you? Or some clever software which will ask: "Did you mean GXXXX0 after you searched for GXXXO"

Some combinations are not used, because certain people are offended by everything, or they are just so sexxxlly frustrated, that they see a reference to it everywhere. So no GCFxCK cache, I assume.

GermanSailor

25 more since last update...

EDIT: Needed the time stamp for my post...

That's 70 minutes and 25 more if anyone wants to work out the current length needed to reach the endpoint from a local velocity...

(512400 - 487479)/25 * 70 = how many minutes left...works out to about December 18, 2006.

Of course, that's from a sampled rate of only about an hour...so less accurate than if someone wants to work out all of the previous updates...

Edited by ju66l3r

A couple things to consider though.

Cache submission drop in the winter

HOWEVER

I anticipate a race at the end to get GCZZZZ. I actually think it may get here earlier than anticipated because people will start submitting bogus requests just to get either GCZZZZ or the new 7 digit GC#