The Official Pool

StarBrand

Well considering there are only 4 digits to play with since the first digits are always GC that would be base 32 for each digit multiplied by base 32 for each digit thats 157 thousand or so caches before the need to go to 7 digits including the standard GC at the front so plently of time yet I guess?

My maths sucks so the above could be completly wrong but I do believe it will be a while yet before the need for 7 digit cache codes.

Edit.. or is that 1 048 576 caches with base 32 but with 26 characters in the alphabet and 10 digits 0 - 9 that would be 1 679 616 caches. Its being a late night, please dont try to fly a plane with these calculations.

Night!

Edited by olmeca

Well considering there are only 4 digits to play with since the first digits are always GC that would be base 32 for each digit multiplied by base 32 for each digit thats 157 thousand or so caches before the need to go to 7 digits including the standard GC at the front so plently of time yet I guess?

My maths sucks so the above could be completly wrong but I do believe it will be a while yet before the need for 7 digit cache codes.

Fizzy Magic is the expert here but up to GCFFFF it was hex numbers and ever since it is a base 31 code. (I think - looking to make sure) so less then you think. He has a calulator. See: http://www.fizzymagic.net/Geocaching/GeoCalc/GeoCalc.html

So something like 60,000 to go

Edited by StarBrand

2 weeks ago I hid GCXNWY (#444075)

452172-

______

60228 / 8097 = 7.4

so about 15 weeks give or take

My guess (as above) is 30th November which is 13ish weeks as I think the rate will go up at the end.

<_<

Edited by Mix

I am not good at this type stuff so I am going to guess......

December 25th 2006 <_<

My birthday, seems a good choice since everyone else is guessing their b-day.

I am surprised that people think it is so close.....do 60,000 caches get submitted in that short of time frame?? (That is if the 60k left is correct.....I have no idea)

2 weeks ago I hid GCXNWY (#444075)

452172-

______

60228 / 8097 = 7.4

so about 15 weeks give or take

My guess (as above) is 30th November which is 13ish weeks as I think the rate will go up at the end.

<_<

Doesn't this lead the usual 'is growth regular' discussion? ;)

December 17th at 8:15pm MST.

You all forget that people cache and place less during the winter. It will be the evening of the 17th because those who place during the weekend will upload the final cache of the GCxxxx series.

I would bet my cheap mctoys on it.

December 17th at 8:15pm MST.

You all forget that people cache and place less during the winter. It will be the evening of the 17th because those who place during the weekend will upload the final cache of the GCxxxx series.

I would bet my cheap mctoys on it.

ah but you are forgetting the antipodeans spring rush (Sept - Nov) of cache hides

http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/gra...i.php?state=ALL

November 11 is my guess.

However, are we guessing, as the OP put it, "What Day will we run out of 4 digit GC" or when the first 5 digit is published? The 4 digits are assigned as soon as you hit the "Report New Listing" button. BUT if you have the "Yes, this listing is active" box unchecked, then the listing won't publish right away. In addition, the speed of the Reviewer will come into play for the exact date of publishing.

Most of my listings take me multiple days of editing before I post them to be reviewed. GCWC2E is my cache that I have not yet published. Not intentionally, but I have been sitting on that number since June. Maybe a rush to lock up 4 digit codes will result in cache pages being created, but not published. Could force the day of the first 5 digit to be sooner.

I am sure I will get many of the regular complainers telling me how bad of a geocacher I am because I am sitting on a number, too bad. I work at my own pace.

Loch Cache

If I guess some date in early November and then when we get down to the last few hundred near my date, I submit a large number of bogus caches in order to "watch the odometer flip" on the exact date I submit here...what do I win?

In other words...I don't know if a prize is a good thing.

If I guess some date in early November and then when we get down to the last few hundred near my date, I submit a large number of bogus caches in order to "watch the odometer flip" on the exact date I submit here...what do I win?

In other words...I don't know if a prize is a good thing.

Not much I can do about folks that try to "play thier own game".......

This is much more for fun than any prize - just to make things clear.

By the way - let me ammend my OP to ask for a time as well. So for me Oct 30, 2006 at 9:00pm (in seattle).

personally, I think we should start naming them GDxxxx

creating 6 digit geocache and 7 digit geocache codes would be a nightmare for ordering reasons, for those who rely on using the extra available chars for other stuff (like me) ...

I'm already preparing for the change. I modify waypoint names and add extra characters for my GPSr, too. I have already tried and tested using hypothetical 7 digit (GC+5) codes by GSAK and by hand-editing GPX files. Shouldn't affect me when the change occurs on...

November 25, 2006.

I don't know what time exactly, since many people will be hiding caches to burn off calories from Thanksgiving feasts. :)

I'm going with November 1. My wife was born that day and my first child is due that day.

Excellent! That will be a birthday in my family as well! Nov 1 it is .... 6:47pm.

Of course as we get closer the numbers will go faster. Just fishing for GCxxx? codes recently it seems like there are a bunch unpublished. Any idea how many are unpublished vs active vs archived?