Happy times for TBs

Stuey

I thought I'd start a thread which is the opposite of Boardsliders Sad times thread....

I have a TB which took almost three years to get round the world, but get round it did, and the mission is complete. The TB is called Back from Down Under and I took it to Australia where I left it with a mission to get back to the cache where it started. It came back eventually, with the final hop superbly completed by The Nutters who brought it to Devon when they came down to the south west on holiday. So.... what other TB successes do you want to tell us about?

My TB has just yesterday completed the "It's not an anorak" TB race in 3rd place.

It only took 16 months, but that did include a period of time in limbo when one cacher who found it was taken ill and unfortunately died. Fortunately (for my TB), his neice also caches and she got it back into circulation for me.

So I'm happy that my TB has made it back safely, now I jsut need to go and find the race target to collect it, and think of a new mission for it once the rest have caught up!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the cachers who made its trip fairly uneventful. :o

Is this supposed to make me feel better :o

Found a note written on one of our cache pages by a Canadian cacher whos TB was in there, which was only a few miles from it's destination, Crayford. The note mentioned the closest cache to said town, which was also one of ours!

Off we went to grab 'Buddy' and took him to the other cache, to complete his mission and to be picked up by a local person who is a dormant cacher and relative of the Canadian bug owner.

So, his mission complete (in 5 or 6 steps, i think), but 'Buddy' is still waiting to be collected from the cache...

In the first cache that I ever found, there was a TB. It was a model Williams GP racing car, with a mission to get to a cache in New Hampshire, where its owner had also place a model Ferrari GP car. They were in a race to get to each other's starting cache.

Well, as luck would have it, I was off to Boston, MA a couple of weeks later, so I took the bug and dropped it off there. It reached it's goal before the Ferrari even left it. And then the Williams disappeared :-(

However, the Ferrari did, eventually get on its way. Just before my first caching anniversary, I saw that it had made it to a cache in Dorset, not too far from where my sister lives. So I went down and retrieved it, and on my first anniversary placed it in its target cache - my first one, of course.

So that's two successful missions in one - even if the Williams did go missing after achieving its goal...

Bob Aldridge

We have a TB, Schlenkerla, who is a beermat from a pub in Bavaria which I used to frequent when living out there in 1980. Its mission was to return home and savour the brew on my behalf. Despite going north from Berkshire and then to Wales, it completed its mission last month after less than a year. Its trip included a stay courtesy of a FTF in a very remote cache in France ("Fressinieres") situated in a cave at the top of a mountain. As it took about 3 years for this FTF, we thought it would be stuck there for ages, but thankfully, like a london bus, another cacher came along very quickly and took him to Bavaria. We have exchanged many e:mails wth the couple who visited the pub in Bamberg to complete the mission, taking some great photos, and have promised to meet up for a litre or two of the wonderful brew next time I visit the town.

Sort of makes up for two other TBs: - one made it to the States via Canada very quickly but then went MIA. Another went just 20 miles before being removed, never to be seen again, despite e:mails to the cachers who admit they've got it but haven't been caching in over a year since retrieving it and appear to have lost it in the meantime...

Pete

I was recently given a choice of two TBs to grab and take back to Leicestershire. As I was short of time I grabbed one that looked the most interesting and went home.

When I checked its mission I was surprised to discover that after a journey of 1685.8mi over a year it was to reach a destination cache just up the road from me. Great!

This TB belongs to John Stead and now its about to start another journey. It made me feel great that TBs do reach their destination, even if some are sadly lost along the way.

Ha - beaten to it!

I was just logging on to thank Matrix for helping in the last stage of my first ever travel bug race. It's been an interesting journey (often in the wrong direction!) but one of them made it in the end!

Many thanks :)

No problem I was a bit annoyed that I didn't know his destination until we got home as otherwise he would have been there a day earlier :laughing:

Let me know if I can help again :unsure:

following up from my previous post about a TB's journey from Canada to SE London, the cache was cisited by the person the bug was travelling to meet. here is the log, with names of cachers and cahces removed to stop any problems.

"Went to ---- ----- today and to find cache after much pestering from my Canadian brother (very activer cacher) and discovered the reason why. They have had a Buddy Bug travelling transatlantic all the way to Crayford and ending up a 5 minute walk from my front door.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who was involved in this epic task. It has really touched us and renewed our enthusiasm in geocaching.

Many thanks once again.

----- ----xxxx"

It is nice to hear a happy story like this, and especially so when 2 of the bug's stops were in your caches, and it was you who helped with the final leg.

Back in 1965, when we were both students at Sheffield University Medical School (ARE passed and I flunked :D ) I nicked a teaspoon from ARE's Hall of Residence.

ARE qualified and became a successful GP in Sheffield before emigrating and setting up in Southern Australia. Some 5 or 6 years ago (maybe more) I saw Alan for the first time in about 15 years. He was in UK prior to competeing as Team Doctor for Compaq in the Round the Word Yacht Race. We struck up an email correspondance.

When I started geocaching I decided to turn the aforementioned teaspoon into a TB with the target to get back to Southern Australia.

It set out fom my front garden 23/07/2003

On 14/06/2005, 15214 miles later, I got this log:

"Only dropped it in here to show that it got to Port Lincoln.

Next stop was hand delivery to the Doc.

Once I had explained Geocaching and how it got to him his first comment was "isn't there any coffee with it". He is going to track you down via TB page and email I think. Asked if it was possible to return something to you using the same tag?? Cheers Dodgeydave, it was fun seeing his face when he worked out who must have sent it to him."

and this photo:

3a46bb8b-0954-45ac-b87c-92115ba20244.jpg

....magic eh?

(edit to add: I still get postcards from spoon regularly, ARE now travels throughout Australia, especially the out of the way places, as a locum in the Aboriginal Health Service)

Edited by Eckington

This thread is good timing. We've just this week had at least three travel bugs (and hopefully a fourth too) complete their missions.

We released a travel bug for each member of our family in Bradford where we then lived. Each of the four had a mission to get as close to middle of Durham as it could, as quickly as they could, in a race to see which bug got the closest.

Having just moved house to Durham, we've been out caching twice this week to collect up the bugs. They were all reported as being within 4 miles of our new home in the city centre. We collected three of them, but posted a DNF on the fourth, as we couldn't find the cache it was in. Hopefully that was just our incompetance - we'll go back again soon and have another look!

Not as epic a journey as some bugs on this thread - but it's been fun, all the same!

I thought I'd start a thread which is the opposite of Boardsliders Sad times thread....

I have a TB which took almost three years to get round the world, but get round it did, and the mission is complete. The TB is called Back from Down Under and I took it to Australia where I left it with a mission to get back to the cache where it started. It came back eventually, with the final hop superbly completed by The Nutters who brought it to Devon when they came down to the south west on holiday. So.... what other TB successes do you want to tell us about?

I have just retrieved my (renamed) bug, "Back from California" from a cache near my home. So, 38,701 miles later, that's two missions complete for this little car. What next? Maybe if I can let some local Aussie bound cachers take it Down Under in a month or so, I can rename it "Back from Down Under" again?!

So, to resurrect an old thread again....

My TB completed a third mission "back from down under" a few years ago, and it is now on the fourth trip around the world. It is now in Germany after travelling from Australia via Canada. Mileage covered now is 103,000 miles!

Great thread! Checking out the contributors, this forum is still looked at :unsure:

We have Agricultural champagne that was released in '07 on Jersey and requested to make it's way back to the UK to visit places that brew traditional cider. It's been all over Europe but not made it back to the UK yet! It spent ages in a toy box and seems to have stalled a little at present.

Here's hoping. L&H.