TB Etiquette: Place ... Grab ... Place ... Grab ...

KPBSM

I got a 2006 Green Jeep TB from Groundspeak and duly placed it in a local cache. Since then, the same person has placed and retrieved it in/from about 10 different geocaches! Am I correct in thinking this is not appropriate? I sent an email and the person seems to think this is okay.

There are still a few people who really don't get it.

I am not sure what the contest rules are and they may allow a person to take a Jeep and photograph it for the duration of the contest so that might explain why someone would do that with a green jeep, Canadians can't actually enter the contest so that detail must be considered, however for Jeeps generally and those people who keep them it is quite clear.

The Jeep TB's are TB's like every other TB. There is no cachet associated with having a TB and keeping it, none at all. In fact, as your concern indicates most people consider it extremely rude to do that. People who keep Jeeps are often unaware of the scorn of the community, however they may not care when they do become aware, they think we are all just message board freaks. :laughing:

People still make Travel Bug prisons and honestly do that believing it is how things should work.

People still go to events to display kidnapped Jeep TBs, show them your scorn.

In a world of Best Practices your complaint would have orginated from concern about the TB for Jeep's sake and that level of altruism is exceptional. :laughing::laughing:

They've had the jeep less than two weeks. They may have every intention of dropping it in a cache within the 2 week time frame but simply haven't yet for whatever their reason (like perhaps not having the photo op they were hoping for if they are participating in the contest.) They've appeared to drop it in and out of each cache they've visited while it's been in their posession, which is allowed. I'd say wait until the two weeks is up in a few days to see if the cacher still has the green jeep, and only then can they really be criticized. Until then, there is no indication that the individual plans to keep it or that they are doing anything wrong at all.

Okay, I understand the 2 wk rule on the green jeep TB's, thats not a issue as there seems to be 'bug hunters' in my area so I'm sure it will move along.

And I just picked it up today, hit a cache it had been sitting in for a couple weeks to move it along as the cache it was in will have that area closed to caching in around 2 wks.

But my question is.. someone mentioned a 'photo op' for a contest?

Anyone that can direct me to more info, it would be appreciated. I've been debating the cache I want to get it into as it seems quite a few around here have been 'attacked & ransacked' so I dont want it to go missing.

dadgum thing is cute but I'm trying to not get attached to it as it would make my ford truck unhappy. Heh.