CITO EVENTS in Northern Indiana

gunpowder

Just wondering how active or successful CITO events are in northern Indiana.
Hi gunpowder,

Schedule it, and they will come.

(just like the movie said) :o

Seriously, the best way to gauge interest is to choose your date (2 months out would give people more than enough time to plan - late October won't be too cold yet, either) and submit the CITO event page. Ask people to RSVP by leaving a note on the event page, and you'll have your answer.

More people would see that event page listing as compared to this thread - not so many people visit THIS particular forum.

We were the hosts of the CITO at Pokagon State Park last year, and we had about 45 people turn out. I feel it was a GREAT success. We had a potluck lunch before we headed out and spent several hours pulling some VERY large junk out of a new area of the park. We ended up with an entire pickup trunk and a boat full of junk....yes, we pulled the boat out of the woods as well. I think you would have a good turnout if you give enough notice...don't forget to plan some sort of meal BEFORE you CITO, and get ahold of your local McDonalds for the drinks! Good Luck!

Plan it, they will come. Especially if there's an opportunity to improve cacher relations with your park. Plan it well in advance and make sure no other CITOs are going on around the same time. We had ours on Earth Day, and another CITO popped up on the calendar the same day, a month after we announced ours. I think their CITO may off suffered in attendance by not checking the CITO calendar first.

We sure got a lot done here at Pokagon. The work has payed off. Trail 9, in which we were cleaning up is now open, and will have an official grand opening here very soon. We owe it to the geocachers who helped.

Brad Bumgardner, Interpreter

Pokagon State Park

There are 11 acres along the Tippecanoe that is being donated to us sometime in the near future. It includes a WPA or CCC project feature of a rock and masonary wall that includes steps that lead down to the river. There are old cooking stations there.

It has been abused heavily by the local fishing groups with trash all over the place. I really appreciated the local *&%*(&% that took a sledge hammer to the stone wall this spring. We are partnering with a local historical preservation group to restore the feature.

Anyway, while we are trying to figure out how to "maintain" this new area I thought a CITO event might help.

I will have to check and see whether this year fall or next is more appropritate to schedule the event.

Thanks

Mike Stephan

Executive Director

Potawatomi Wildlife Park

Edited by gunpowder

Thanks for all the posters!!! (I wonder how you heard about this thread?? :laughing: )

Plan it well in advance and make sure no other CITOs are going on around the same time. We had ours on Earth Day, and another CITO popped up on the calendar the same day, a month after we announced ours. I think their CITO may off suffered in attendance by not checking the CITO calendar first.
Here is the calendar:

http://www.geocaching.com/calendar/