Bomb Scare

GuyFromOH

Taking the game back to the woods seems impossible at this point. There are simply too many cachers to do this. Theres not enough Woods to Cacher ratio, at least not in this area. Around here, i'd have 50, maybe 60 finds at this point staying in the woods. And i'd be quitting for a lack of caches to hunt.

Perhaps restricting the size of caches is a better idea. Urban caches can only be micros, perhaps. I know people hate micros, but thats what it comes down to. Micros are better than nothing, right?

OK, let’s think about this for a minute before jumping to conclusions. The cache was placed by the Middletown Convention and Visitor’s Bureau with authorization (permission) from the historical society. The cache was clearly labeled. What more could you ask these guys to do? In my estimation, this cache was placed in accordance with the gc guidelines! A nicer label would have been nice, but it was clearly labeled. This is a classic example of over-reaction by local police at face value (at least that is what I gather from reading the article).

What about the two recent scares in Indiana? Both of those were cemetery caches and one of the containers was a waterproof match safe? Why would anyone want to blow up a cemetery? Since when are bombs placed in match safes? This was silly! Fortunately the police were more reasonable there and even had staff that were involved in geocaching.

Look at what is going on outside of geocaching: “Authorities found nothing hazardous on board a flight from Atlanta to New York that was diverted to Charlotte after a flight attendant found a bottle of water and then smelled something suspicious, airport officials said.” People are paranoid! Pretty soon the bomb squad is going to be called to go pick up litter in our parks because a coke can lying on the ground might be a bomb! This is silly but happens all the time and even outside of the geocaching world.

There will always be over-suspicious people who think they are being stalked by terrorists. Geocaching is not bad. We are not doing anything wrong, illegal or immoral. I feel bad about police wasting their time, money and effort but it happens in every aspect of our lives, not just geocahcing. I agree that spending some time educating the law enforcement community will be time well spent, but I will not back off what I enjoy doing out of fear of getting a call from the local bomb squad.

"...take this game back to the woods"? Yeah, I enjoy that aspect of geocaching the best too, but speaking to the bigger picture of crawling in a hole becuase people are parinoid, NO WAY!

OK, let’s think about this for a minute before jumping to conclusions. The cache was placed by the Middletown Convention and Visitor’s Bureau with authorization (permission) from the historical society. The cache was clearly labeled. What more could you ask these guys to do?

Sure, that will fix it. Just put a label on all caches that says "This is not a bomb". Then we'll make it a law for it to be illegal to for bombers to use that label. Then when people find any object with the label "This is not a bomb" then they'll know for certain it's not a bomb.

If we all knew where the next bombing was going to occur then it sure would make everyone's life safer. Unfortunately there is not "bomb free zone" nor a "bomb only zone".

What's a bomb look like?

What's a bomb look like?

A waterproof match safe. :laughing:

I agree that this was the police reacting. Perhaps not "over"-reacting -- they do have standard operating procedures to follow -- but certainly reacting. Now the John Q. Public may have over-reacted but after, what has it been, almost 5 years of alerts and scares it is hard to fault people for a gut-level reaction.

Sure, that will fix it. Just put a label on all caches that says "This is not a bomb". Then we'll make it a law for it to be illegal to for bombers to use that label. Then when people find any object with the label "This is not a bomb" then they'll know for certain it's not a bomb.

If we all knew where the next bombing was going to occur then it sure would make everyone's life safer. Unfortunately there is not "bomb free zone" nor a "bomb only zone".

What's a bomb look like?

Well, they at least would have used the correct DOT placards during transport to the site :o :

172-523%20Explosive%2014.gif

Remember the movie Die Hard? They made an ambulance into a bomb :laughing: !

Oh no, one just drove by. We had better have the sherrif investigate that. :laughing:

If you stop and think about it, what about mail boxes? You know the uni-bomber did his work that way. Then there was guy on the plane with the exploding shoes. YIKES! I am wearing shoes! Is that a fuse or just my shoestring? HELP POLICE! :laughing:

I guess imagination is the limit (and hence the problem).

Edited by Rupert2