Peer review question about ..

I have a problem with the "Category" but not with the ''Criteria Description", in one particular submission, as I can not see myself voting yes on the category "Criteria" and not being able to vote 'no' according to my own feelings about the category itself !

Please look over this category proposal and determine whether or not it meets the four criteria presented at the bottom of the page

After the Category description the remarks continue with ----->

Does ---deleted--- category meet all three of these criteria? Please keep in mind, we aren't looking for your personal opinion of the category here.

If you are not looking for my personal opinion shouldn't all category submissions pass the votes ?

I have a problem with the "Category" but not with the ''Criteria Description", in one particular submission, as I can not see myself voting yes on the category "Criteria" and not being able to vote 'no' according to my own feelings about the category itself !

Please look over this category proposal and determine whether or not it meets the four criteria presented at the bottom of the page

After the Category description the remarks continue with ----->

Does ---deleted--- category meet all three of these criteria? Please keep in mind, we aren't looking for your personal opinion of the category here.

If you are not looking for my personal opinion shouldn't all category submissions pass the votes ?

If I don't like the category, I will figure out one of the criteria it does not meet..... at least in my contrarian mind. :laughing:

The part that says "Please keep in mind, we aren't looking for your personal opinion of the category here." I pretty much totally ignore.

Only because I don't think it is worded well. Obviously some aspect of our opinion is required to evaluate potential new categories.

So I use these thoughts to guide me, oh and a Magic 8-ball!

1... Is this category well thought out and described with detailed requirements?

2... Is this something that would be of interest to a large group of people?

3... Is this a unique category, or at least stands apart for some reason?

4... Is there a regional restriction that has been justified properly?

So basically, even if I personally have no interest in the category but I can see how some people would get enjoyment from it, and everything makes sense and is well written... then I vote YEA.

Lack of detail, items that are socially perceived as being in bad taste (not to be confused with 'adult in nature' or 'sensitive'), and of course locationally centric for no reason.... then survey says.... NNNNaaaaaa!

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Obviously some aspect of our opinion is required to evaluate potential new categories.

1... Is this category well thought out and described with detailed requirements?

So basically, even if I personally have no interest in the category but I can see how some people would get enjoyment from it, and everything makes sense and is well written... then I vote YEA.

Well put!

I think the whole Waymarking concept should be broad enough to accomodate a wide variety of interests. If there is a leader and a group of officers with enough interest, then they should be free to create a category. Frankly, I don't believe that even criterioa 2 and 3 above should be applied too stringently. What difference does it make of some people want a category that may seem mundane or not "outstanding" to us? As long as there a people to manage it and people want to submit waymarks, then that is fine with me. This is also true even if I think the appeal of a particular category might appeal only to a limited group of people -- like birders or ham radio operators.

I tend to look at the first criterion, and also how it fits in with other existing or other potential categories. Sure, these evaluations are a matter of personal opinion, but they are not a matter of just personal preference, likes and dislikes.

The part that says "Please keep in mind, we aren't looking for your personal opinion of the category here." I pretty much totally ignore.

Only because I don't think it is worded well. Obviously some aspect of our opinion is required to evaluate potential new categories.

Lack of detail, items that are socially perceived as being in bad taste (not to be confused with 'adult in nature' or 'sensitive'), and of course locationally centric for no reason.... then survey says.... NNNNaaaaaa!

:lol: The Blue Quasar

Pretty much sums up how I review a category as well. Obviously it is my opinion that's being used to make the Yea/Nay/Abstain decision. I think the intention is to ask people to not vote NAY simply because they aren't interested in the category. That's fair and perhaps they could figure out some wording to clarify that.

I add:

1. Would the category work better as a subset of another category, ie. a variable in an already existing category?

2. Are there enough unique waymarks to make this category available to enough users? For example, State Capital buildings would only be 50 so make it part of another building category.

JDandDD