Drive or Fly?

ibycus

When replying to another thread that my 'closest' cache not owned by me seems to be 5.11km away. Unfortunately as the roads go its more like 23--> 24 km away. Was wondering how extreme of an example of this kind of thing people have seen.

(Specifically in my case, I'm going from ~N51 07.766 W114 21.033 to ~N51 09.089 W114 17.366)

Edited by ibycus

Well, a different sort of extreme... My caching partner and I try to keep clear the 10 mile radii (never succeed, but keep trying). His furthest (9.7 miles) is only 15.4 miles by road. Google maps claims it should only take 38 minutes. Hah! Through the Lincoln Tunnel, across Manhattan to the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, then the Long Island Expressway to Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. 38 minutes?!? Not even at 3 AM on a Sunday! Tolls would be about $15 round trip.

There's nothing that extreme right near me, but since we're right near Lake Michigan any time we want to travel to Michigan or parts of Indiana we have to go south to go north due to the lake being in the way...

I just looked one location up as an example-- there are some caches in South Haven MI which I might go for some time, and the cache page says one of them is 78 miles from me. while Yahoo Maps says South Haven is 131 miles away, driving.

since there are no caches that are currently active within 15 miles as the crow flies from our home...every cache to seek out is a sizable driving distance away. The closest unfound active cache for us is a terrain 5 cache that requires over 20 miles of combined driving, 4x4 driving, river rafting, and mountian climbing to reach. The majority of that is paved driving, but I still bet not many others would be able to make the same claim about their closest unfoound cache.

Of course in about 2 years of existance, the cache has only been found once. Needless to say - it is at the top of our "to do" list.

5.3 miles from my home coords according to gc.com.

Fastest way to actually drive there 23.5 miles. Mileage I spent getting the FTF---probably over 100. Several roads on the maps that I thought would be shorter either were gated, or didn't actually track the way the maps said they did. I had to turn around, come home, grab a flashlight, then head out in the opposite direction to circle around the mountain, instead of going over it like I had hoped.

there are several around the Arkansas/Mississippi line. being divided by the Mississippi River is an easy way to make a long trip. just one example is GCH6BM. 11.3 miles from Helena, Ar but to drive there takes about 35 minutes or 30 miles.

in the Bayou DeView area is GCTT2D. it is 27.8 miles from my home coords but it is about 53 miles to drive.

i just did one in Village Creek State Park that showed to be 1.2 miles from where i was parked but i figure i walked 5 miles to reach it.