GJTB question- ethical?

Billy Goatee

Do you think this is ethical?????

Just curious.

Somehow I know more about moving/logging Green Jeep Travel Bugs than I ever wanted to...

Here's a note from Eartha on same:

The Green Jeep Tag number in the photo on all the jeep TB pages is to a Jeep page that has been locked. You cannot log that one. Logging any TB virtually (using the number, never having seen the jeep) can result in a TB page being locked. Do not post photos showing a TB number. Do not give the TB number to someone who will never see the bug.

I was wondering about feelings about contacting GJTB holders about peaks I have bagged to discover them and post a pic of the peak.

Do you think this is ethical?????

If by 'GJTB holders' you mean ask them for the tracking numer so you can fake log them, then I would say no it isn't ethical.

Also, if you really want to share your pictures why not just post a note and uplead the pic to that? or does that not work with jeeps??

Also, if you really want to share your pictures why not just post a note and uplead the pic to that? or does that not work with jeeps??

never thought of that...

nope, still need the number......

good idea, though.

Are you sure this doesn't work? Post the note, then go to the Jeep's page and select "view log". In the upper right there should be a link to Upload Image.

I have an issue with the "virtual" caching of anything. If somebody isn't going to actually GO to the cache and log it normally, then you shouldn't do a bug drop in/out of it, especially with something like the Jeeps, which are a hot commodity.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the "discovered" logging option. At a recent event there were people pouring over each other's books of coins, and recording the numbers for logging as "discovered". Shouldn't that be reserved for items that can be removed from a cache, but you choose not to?

I'm still not sure how I feel about the "discovered" logging option. At a recent event there were people pouring over each other's books of coins, and recording the numbers for logging as "discovered". Shouldn't that be reserved for items that can be removed from a cache, but you choose not to?

Some people buy coins/TBs to release, some buy them to keep for themselves / or to show to others as a collection. Some people will only log coins/TBs that they've found, or moved, or were the color pink, or whatever personal rules they apply to themselves. Other people will log everything they've seen (for whatever reason)... And this has been going on since before there was a discovered it option. Of course back then they would just use the grab option and grab it from the last person, or might even log it out of and back into wherever it was found. As this logging without out movements practice grew the site TPTB decided adding a way to allow people to collect icons/keep track of the coins they've seen, WITHOUT putting out so much junk for the TB server to track would be a good idea.

I like the idea of posting a photo of the peak. However, unless you see the actual Jeep, I say it cannot be logged. It would be cool to e-mail the current holder and ask THEM to post the photi though.

I still think they can upload a note and post their picture to that without the number. They don't get a 'find' but get to show whatever pic they seem to want to show.

I have an issue with the "virtual" caching of anything. If somebody isn't going to actually GO to the cache and log it normally, then you shouldn't do a bug drop in/out of it, especially with something like the Jeeps, which are a hot commodity.

Welch is correct that people can apply their owns personal rules when it comes to using the options made available.

I choose not to use the Discover option. Do I care if other people do? Not that it would matter if I did, but no I don't care. I even support it, but I only log travelers I move.

Virtual logging is a definition that implies logging travelers and caches without actually finding them.

That practice I have a problem with.

Edited by BlueDeuce