Getting good feedback and logs

ADK 46-R

It is really worth taking the time to place a really great cache and getting detailed logs of finders because the journey was great. it shure beats the once a day log "quick grab TFTC" i know not everyone likes an 11 mile bushwack but i love reading the logs when they come in for some of my harder caches.

T-lakes desolate Journey

edit: spelling

Edited by ADK 46-R

It is really worth taking the time to place a really great cache and getting detailed logs of finders because the journey was great. it shure beats the once a day log "quick grab TFTC" i know not everyone likes an 11 mile bushwack but i love reading the logs when they come in for some of my harder caches.

T-lakes desolate Journey

edit: spelling

Therein lies the great thing about our game - it si so varied that everyone can have their own opinion about what is fun, and someone will provide it!

Hide them like you like to find them,

Log them like you like to read your cache's logs!

Ed

I'm new to the whole geocaching thing. We just started doing it this week.

I tried to say a bit, but don't want to bore people either. I'm not sure what to put or what people expect. So, I always say thanks, and try to give a bit of info about what we thought.

I don't know, is one method of logging preferred over another?

it all depends on the cahce to me. if it was a quick cache and dash theres really nothing to say. if it was a crazy journey and you did alot to find the cache ect.. then usually there is a lot more to include in the log, like alabama says...

Hide them the way you like to find them... thats why i make caches like the one above.

I love it when people detail their hunts, I can't stand it when they copy and paste logs and I like it even less when the only thing they have to say is mention of the numbers they accomplished on that day's run.

I never copy and paste and I'll try to say a little bit about every hide, if you made a hide I enjoyed, you'll know it as I tend to ramble on.

Since I'm more of a hider than a finder, I've gone to great lengths to create memorable experiences and unique locations. I have a few that are so-so, but those are earlier hides. With every hide I've done the past few months I've tried to make at least one thing stand out on them, I've been passing a lot of possible cache locations up just because there's nothing that can really be said about them. My goal is to place caches where the seeker comes away with more than just another number for their stats.

My goal is to place caches where the seeker comes away with more than just another number for their stats.

I like to think that every geocache I place is a decent one even though I live in a city that Rudyard Kipling called called Hell's basement. We have a few parks, a river and two creeks and a whole lot of burning hot grassland. It isn't ever about numbers but new geocachers need a place to go, they need hides. Our walking trails and parks are really the best places within 40 miles. I place geocaches in the Cypress Hills and make them in the nicest spots that I can find but there really is a need for a lot more caches close to home so people can stay interested in geocaching. We were lucky to have an early geocaching pioneer in Medicine Hat, Ben Moffat, and he is still an educator utilizing geocaching as a teaching tool for GPS basics today. Ben placed geocaches in the same places that we do today in almost every case, we have a very limited landscape. I found the spots I liked close to home fairly quickly so my earliest hides were in the few "beautiful spots" (my opinion) where I thought I coud hide a geocache . There are only 52 geocaches within 50 miles of Medicine Hat and if you want to place a geocache it will likely be sharing watered greenspace or creek/river/coulee space with another cache, we don't have "locations" so much a little less of Hell over here (something watered). Our irrigated farmland is devoid of hiding spots, we have no trees except along rivers or creeks. Attractions within a half hour do have geocaches but you really can't add more because it is mostly nowhere anyone in there right mind would want to go twice, we really do live in Hell's basement as Rudyard Kipling pointed out, and we still need more caches so people can stay interested.

The OP is right, every cache needs to be thought out but it isn't always about location, it is about making adventure. A night cache in a non-descript city park fits the bill, a really nifty hide on a irrigation dam roadway, a vaguely interesting old city building with a real cool key/lock hide, all of this works, it really should be about making adventure, providing a hunt. Geocaching is mostly walking but adding themes and inventing new ways to hide things is a large part of the game in our landscape, something as simple as bird feeder used for a container can provide adventure for the children and stymie a few new geocachers.

I will drive miles and climb thousands of meters and have done that, I like adventures but a city walkway in a neighborhood I have never visited and a good hide at the end of the walk add up to a small adventure, better than TV by far. My wife loves the fact that I walk and she doesn't mind finding caches when we walk, caching opens up the small attractions that our area offers for re-exploration. My dog knows where every one of my caches is hidden and takes all the right turns by herself when we go do a walk/maintenance run. I hide a cache wherever I think I can hide one, this is a lot harder than it looks in this terrain. When you have choices you can make choices, when you have all of hell for basement you make do.

Edited by wavector

I'm new to the whole geocaching thing. We just started doing it this week.

I tried to say a bit, but don't want to bore people either. I'm not sure what to put or what people expect. So, I always say thanks, and try to give a bit of info about what we thought.

I don't know, is one method of logging preferred over another?

not really just log it as you like and try not to spoil the hide in you're logs. post photos if you want but again try not to spoil the hide in them too. but just do to have fun. thats why you should go caching.