Waypoint icons in GPS unit?

George1

When I load several hundred caches into my Garmin Legend C the Icons show up in many different forms. Some will be Caches, some will be parking icons and some will be, who knows what. Is there any way to have them all be Cache Icons? I understand I can change them in the GPS unit, but what a pain. Is this normal behavior when you load caches?

I use GPSbabel to load the caches into the GPS, and if it makes a difference, with a Mac.

Thanks

When I load several hundred caches into my Garmin Legend C the Icons show up in many different forms. Some will be Caches, some will be parking icons and some will be, who knows what. Is there any way to have them all be Cache Icons? I understand I can change them in the GPS unit, but what a pain. Is this normal behavior when you load caches?

I use GPSbabel to load the caches into the GPS, and if it makes a difference, with a Mac.

Thanks

If you've obtained your cache waypoints using a Geocaching.com Pocket Query, you may receive two files by e-mail for each query. The first will be the geocaches themselves, and they will (or should) have the "closed treasure chest" icon. The other file, which will have a file name that looks like 501074-wpts.gpx (the number will be different for each query), contains waypoints for parking spots, trailheads, and other locations associated with the geocaches. These "extra" waypoints will have different icons (I've seen both "P" parking space icons and blue-flag icons). Could these "extra" waypoints be what you're seeing? If so, they're not actually geocaches themselves, and you wouldn't want to change them into geocache waypoints.

--Larry

By default, GPSBabel creates smart icons based on cache type. It seemed like a good idea back in the days when Garmins didn't have geocaching mode and made getting to the waypoint comments difficult. I've pretty much fallen out of love with the idea these days for modern Garmins; it suprises too many people...

I just checked the GPSBabel+ GUI and you can't override it there, but if you're using the command line version either via some kind of applescript, shell/terminal window, browser download, or whatever, just specify a -N before the garmin part.

gpsbabel -N -i gpx -f mumble.gpx -o garmin -F usb:

The scheme is:

Micros are "toll booth" (the icon is a coin which looks like a micro..)

Virts are "scenic area" (you look at them)

Multis are "stadium" (building has many points)

Unknown is "information" (icon has a question mark)

Event is event.

Webcam is "live theatre" (there may be posing)

I should probably turn this behaviour off by default...

By default, GPSBabel creates smart icons based on cache type. It seemed like a good idea back in the days when Garmins didn't have geocaching mode and made getting to the waypoint comments difficult. I've pretty much fallen out of love with the idea these days for modern Garmins; it suprises too many people...

I just checked the GPSBabel+ GUI and you can't override it there, but if you're using the command line version either via some kind of applescript, shell/terminal window, browser download, or whatever, just specify a -N before the garmin part.

gpsbabel -N -i gpx -f mumble.gpx -o garmin -F usb:

The scheme is:

Micros are "toll booth" (the icon is a coin which looks like a micro..)

Virts are "scenic area" (you look at them)

Multis are "stadium" (building has many points)

Unknown is "information" (icon has a question mark)

Event is event.

Webcam is "live theatre" (there may be posing)

I also have this problem, although I can see the advantage. It would also be nice to turn it off and on in the GPSBabel+ GUI, or even the ability to change and pick which icons represent the scheme.

Edited by Speedowl

I have installed gpsBabel 1.3.5 & it seems you did turn this off . Is there any way to get back the smart icons?

I preferred getting the various icons

Thanks

Jeff

OSX 10.5.4 ( no windoze installed )

2.66 intel core 2 duo

GPSmap60Cx