Indiana Geocaching lost a dear friend today.

daggy

c41dc5a0-fdf4-423d-aa61-4aa0787414d5.jpg

Our beloved Tens Mom passed away after a brief fight with cancer. Sandy's love of caching was extreme. I'm sure everyone at the Fall Picnic's will remember her cache earrings and, of course, her real live Geocaching Jeep.

Indiana Geocachers will be able to celebrate her memory at the Fall Picnic. It will be hosted in her honor.

Although Sandy hated to have her picture taken, we will be posting her photo and funeral arrangement when available.

Funeral arrangements for Sandy Wilson are:

Burkholder Funeral Chapel

419 N. Chestnut St.

Seymour IN

Visitation

4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Friday

10 a.m. - 11 a.m. Saturday

Funeral

11 a.m. Saturday

Edited by daggy

I just got word on the loss. Very sad. I'm lousy about remembering names and faces, but I went through Sandy's profile and I see we shared a couple CITO events and have several caches in common. One of the things I really love about this game is how we can see the experiences we shared with others...even if they were months/years apart.

I'm sure you guys will do a great job celebrating her memory at the picnic. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

Bret

Our beloved Tens Mom passed away after a brief fight with cancer. Sandy's love of caching was extreme. I'm sure everyone at the Fall Picnic's will remember her cache earrings and, of course, her real live Geocaching Jeep.

Indiana Geocachers will be able to celebrate her memory at the Fall Picnic. It will be hosted in her honor.

Although Sandy hated to have her picture taken, we will be posting her photo and funeral arrangement when available.

Sorry to hear about this. We only had the privilege of meeting her at a couple of events, but she made us feel like we knew her for a long time. She will surely be missed at the Fall Picnic.

Missing her already. Sandy was a sweet loving person with a quick wit and happy disposition.

Here are some pics from my caching logs.Yes, it's true she didn't like to have her picture taken, but whenever I asked, she said yes, as long as she could see the pic and approve it before I psoted it. Rest assured, these pics were all Sandy approved:

0e9d1a46-e10b-4684-a052-caeb1365cb91.jpg

Front and center. Love that smile!!

dad6731a-6ece-4056-808d-1c4c719fcd31.jpg

That's Sandy on the right with Team J&K and myself in the back.

0c8795d3-4eb0-49bb-b81a-734129dd632f.jpg

Her new caching boots at the MS Walk event 3/19/05. she loved her new boots, but man by day's end she was regretting not having broken them in before the walking event!

6bfde1cd-372b-42ec-8bcd-cd03f297be3b.jpg

Daggy and Sandy

Edited by 2qwerqE

I received the sad news this morning and cried and remembered how nice Sandy always was to me. She went out of her way to talk to me and make me feel welcome. The first time I met her I felt like I had known her for a very long time. I loved her enthusiasm and her creativeness in Geocaching and she will be sorely missed. My thoughts are with her family.

Remember the campout the night before the Fall Picnic last year. I heard this loud music and I turn to see Sandy driving up in a refurbished yellow Jeep. She was so proud of that car. Well it was pretty cool.

How can we forget the micro caches she would wear. There were the earrings, the bracelet, the shoelaces. I always offer to search her but she would neve go for it.

How about her love for giving and making people happy. At the last picnic she gave me a Geocaching flag that she had a friend make to fly on my car. When I hit 5000 she went back to my very first log and found that I had traded for a Canadian dollar so she gave me a 1924 Silver dollar. She not only did this for me but for just about everyone she knew.

She was just so much fun to be around. I only knew her for a few years but those years could fill volumns. I will miss her so much. It has been hard to keep dry eyes through all of this but Sandy wouldn't care. She would cry with me if that is what I needed. She would laugh with me if that is what was needed. I love you blondie and you will always be a huge part of the memories of my life.

Deermark

Sandy was so much more to me than a friend,,, she was just like a sister. I remember so many good times we have had. My most memorable time was when we all went caching there was Mark, Lynn, Wayne, Me and Jim. We were up near Spencer and we were hiking down a horse trail....first she got stuck in the mud and it pulled her shoe off and we had to dig for her shoe and then we were almost off the trail and a group of horse riders came along and one of the horses decided to chase Sandy...we all laughed so hard including Sandy..she was a joy to be around. If it hadn't have been for Geocaching I would have missed out on one of the closest friendships I will every have. Her family was so lucky to have her all those years...I was lucky to have her this last couple of years. My prayers are with James and the boys. You had someone that you can be so proud of. I have the memories that will last forever. I know she is in heaven with a GPS in her hand and a big smile on her beautiful face. We will miss you and we'll never forget you........

Mark and I were talking last night about our favorite memories of Sandy. Guess what, mine was her losing her shoe in the mud!

I will miss her so much! She was over-the-top when it came to geocaching and life. She was a hoot! Sandy was one of the most generous people I will ever meet. Always thinking of others, picking up little trinkets that reminded her of someone. I don't think I will ever taken down the "Queen of the Road" medal that hangs on my rear view mirror. It will always be there as a reminder of Sandy.

WCNUT talked to Rock-N-Roll today. He wanted to just talk to someone. He told Chuck that after everything settls down he would like to continue to Cache. We need to remember him and try our best to e-mail him and continue to invite him to Geo-events/socials to help him. Sandy told him "DO NOT give up Geocaching after I am gone, I want you to stay in touch with all the wonderful friends we have made."

My heart does go out to James & I hope he will come to the Fall Picnic, she really wanted to be there.

Tater

We have only been caching for a little over a month now, and never got the chance to meet Sandy. But after reading about how much everyone seemed to care for her, then perhaps placing a cache in her honor (Perhaps a Multi, with one set of coords to lead to her marker for future Geocachers to pay their respects as well) would be appropriate? I don't know how far away the picnic is from the cemetery that she is buried in, but perhaps even holding off the release date of the cache until the fall picnic even??

Just some thoughts to ponder,

Kelly & Barbara

(Are_we_there_yet?)

The plans are already in the works to place a cache for Sandy. Actually, it will be placed by Sandy with the help for some of her close caching friends. Sandy gave me her password a few weeks ago so we could maintain her caches. So the cache will actually be a Tens Mom cache.

We had a bit of fun trying to decide what she would have named the cache. Although we came up with a few names that SHE would have used, out of respect, we will probably use a name that is a littlle more respectful.

The first stage was started moments before the funeral when the first stage was placed in her casket. We figured she would need one in heaven. So I guess you could call it an offset since the first cache is in heaven with Sandy.

We are just waiting for the grave to be cleaned up a bit before placing the cache.