Moving My Cache?

ibecruisin

:) Hmmm, I can'tfind anywhere on the GeoCaching site where I can "Archive" it. We've moved to Arizona and brought the cache with us to re-place it here, but I don't want people still looking for it in Colorado.

:)

Archive it and take it with you and set it up as a new cache in AZ, leave it and find a local to take care of it for you, find a local to adopt it

On the listing page for the cache - go to log a visit and choose an archive log.

edit - I mean look in the area where you log a visit and choose archive listing..... :)

You can also click ARCHIVE LISTING from the navigation menu on the right side of the page, just a bit below LOG YOUR VISIT.

Edited by Quiggle

Or you could just make it a really long multi... :laughing::laughing:

OK, back on topic;

A related question, just out of curiosity. Could the OP simply change the coordinates on the cache edit screen to reflect the new location, including a detailed note to the reviewer explaining his/her actions? That way he'd be able to keep his/her GC number, and not have an archived cache sitting in his/her list. Would the cache page map update automatically? I'm not suggesting this as a course of action, just wondering if it's feasable.

Thanx!

Edited by Clan Riffster

Or you could just make it a really long multi... :laughing::laughing:

OK, back on topic;

A related question, just out of curiosity. Could the OP simply change the coordinates on the cache edit screen to reflect the new location, including a detailed note to the reviewer explaining his/her actions? That way he'd be able to keep his/her GC number, and not have an archived cache sitting in his/her list. Would the cache page map update automatically? I'm not suggesting this as a course of action, just wondering if it's feasable.

Thanx!

the map won't update. The cache will still be listed at the old co-ords and the new location will be a note in the logs. He could also edit the text to highlight the new co-ords, but it's the old co-ords that will load into peoples' GPS units. So he'd still be sending some folks to the old location.

Thanx!

The cache owner can't make a location change of that distance. What's allowed is about 500 feet. Much more than that, and the system won't allow it. Try to "leap frog" it, by making multiple short moves, and the reviewer will be notified and take action.

If the cache were allowed to be moved to another state, it would change the history of everyone who's already logged the cache. Suddenly, they've got a find in AZ, even though they found it somewhere else.

If the cache were allowed to be moved to another state, it would change the history of everyone who's already logged the cache. Suddenly, they've got a find in AZ, even though they found it somewhere else.

That happened to me with an early cache. Suddenly, I had a find in a state I had never visited. At least I finally fixed it by making a real visit there. With people now going after state goals, it is best to archive and start a new cache in the new state.