Multi- or Just a Traditional Cache?

Team CDCB

Okay, after getting flamed extensively for my original puzzle cache that had people go into playgrounds -- Okay, I wasn't flammed, but I did mess up on it, and needed to change it after it got published -- Anyway, after messing up on my first cache, I figured I'd ask this question first, and see what people think:

By accident, I discovered a bike/walk trail while I was out biking one day. It's sorta in the middle of the city, but not really noticible... both the 'end' of the trail are hidden. I know there is a multi-stage that is, at least in part, located in the woods on the east end of this trail, but there doesn't appear to be anything on the west end, or in the middle of the cache.

I found a good hidding spot about half way through the cache. I was thinking of doing a multi with the first stop at the West end of the trail... perhaps with one more stop about 3/4 of the way to the east end... and then the final top 1/2 up the trail.

The "agenda" if with will, of the cache is to introduce people to the trail if they didn't know about it already. The reason to make it a multi is to show people where the West end of the trail is... where to start walking/biking/etc.

If you were to do this cache, would you consider it a good use of a multi-cache or would you be thinking in the back of your head "Lame... shoulda just made it a traditional and given me parking coordinate at the west end of the trail..."?

Okay, after getting flamed extensively for my original puzzle cache that had people go into playgrounds -- Okay, I wasn't flammed, but I did mess up on it, and needed to change it after it got published -- Anyway, after messing up on my first cache, I figured I'd ask this question first, and see what people think:

By accident, I discovered a bike/walk trail while I was out biking one day. It's sorta in the middle of the city, but not really noticible... both the 'end' of the trail are hidden. I know there is a multi-stage that is, at least in part, located in the woods on the east end of this trail, but there doesn't appear to be anything on the west end, or in the middle of the cache.

I found a good hidding spot about half way through the cache. I was thinking of doing a multi with the first stop at the West end of the trail... perhaps with one more stop about 3/4 of the way to the east end... and then the final top 1/2 up the trail.

The "agenda" if with will, of the cache is to introduce people to the trail if they didn't know about it already. The reason to make it a multi is to show people where the West end of the trail is... where to start walking/biking/etc.

If you were to do this cache, would you consider it a good use of a multi-cache or would you be thinking in the back of your head "Lame... shoulda just made it a traditional and given me parking coordinate at the west end of the trail..."?

Well it would be interesting none the less. Most of the multi-caches I have done is park at one end of a trail and find a cache close and start working your way in through the trail not start at one side of the trail and walk the whole length almost to find the 1st find and back track. But it would be unique.

There was one multi-cache I did that involved parking at one end and walking to the complete other end of the trail where there is no parking and then you find the final cache and you have to walk the whole way back to your car, with your idea you find the first cache the farthest away and it makes your way back to your car more enjoyable. Good luck with it.

Have you done the other multi near there yet? If not, I'd do that one first to make sure part of it isn't where you want to place yours.

That said, you'll get somewhat fewer visitors to a multi than to a regular cache, especially if you don't give folks any idea of how far they need to travel for the multi, or how many stage there are in total. Yes, It makes no sense, the same people who might walk three miles for a single cache, won't take on a multi that covers the same amount of distance, if they don't know in advance how far they'll have to travel. I know, because I am one of those people.

Have you done the other multi near there yet? If not, I'd do that one first to make sure part of it isn't where you want to place yours.

That said, you'll get somewhat fewer visitors to a multi than to a regular cache, especially if you don't give folks any idea of how far they need to travel for the multi, or how many stage there are in total. Yes, It makes no sense, the same people who might walk three miles for a single cache, won't take on a multi that covers the same amount of distance, if they don't know in advance how far they'll have to travel. I know, because I am one of those people.

I'm working on it. Unfortunately, my life is getting busier right now, plus this cache seems to cover a large distance... I don't know yet if it ends up back in the area where I'm thinking of dropping mine, but I'm pretty sure that if it does, it stays to the east side of the trail, in the woods located there.