Alchemy and all that

As some of you are well aware, Alibags, Jolly Jaxs, KiwiGary and myself managed the quest yesterday in 14 hours. We also had a great deal of fun, some of that at my expense and probably due to my straight line mentality, but it does help being 6'3".

However I am still more than impressed by Jaz666, Moote and Rutson's 10 hours 50 mins time to complete it (although I am informed that World Rally Championship style driving does help somewhat) and am willing to offer, without taking anything away from MarcB brilliant series, advice to any team who wants a crack at that record. But that will have to be next year.

For I have a cunning plan. :blink:

Having lived in the area of the Alchemy Quest series for a few months now I know a lot of the backroads and reckon I could have a good go at the current record, but it would be pointless as I know where all the hides are and the best places to park etc etc.

10 hours 50 mins is very good going as there is a lot of driving involved in the series.

It took us something like 3 weekends, on and off, to do the series but it was just after we'd started caching so were a little wet behind the ears at times.

I'd love to hear your cunning plan (not on here, of course :blink: ) ...

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Whilst it was certainly nice to do the whole quest in such a time, it wasn't our main objective. We just wanted to get it all done in one sitting, and for Gold to be my 200th.

We could have shaved a lot of time off if we really pushed, but I would have been equally happy for us to have taken 18 hours and to have explored some of the areas a bit more.

Preperation was the key to our success, planning ahead which was the best order of play, but leaving a little room for changes on the day.

By all means try to beat our time, but please be careful on the roads and don't let your desire to hit the record spoil the lovely places this quest takes you!

Tony

I do believe the driver involved in our attempt, kept within the legal speed limit on all roads, and that at no time was anyone inside or outside the car placed at risk.

We only had one offroad adventure, but this was because of the well publicized and quirky feature of TomTom taking you down rough tracks.

There were area I consider that I could have shaved time off this, but that is now all academic as it has been done.

As Jaz666 says we were not out to break a record, it just happened, but as with all the records I hold, I like to see others better them. I think we only clocked up around 150 miles, but that was because I spent a longtime working out the best running order.

I'm glad that Tony, Bob, Ali and Gary had a good day out and was very please to be on of the PAFs your run.

If you need a driver for your next years attempt, I'm no longer under contract with Team Subaru, as I scared the **** out of all their co-drivers :blink:

Moote

Nobody told me we were out for the record, I was just trying to get them all done in one day, which was challenge enough for me! No wonder Tony got ever so twitchy when we insisted on a leisurely pub lunch, we could easily have shaved another hour off then and there!! LOL.

However I am still more than impressed by Jaz666, Moote and Rutson's 10 hours 50 mins time to complete it (although I am informed that World Rally Championship style driving does help somewhat) and am willing to offer, without taking anything away from MarcB brilliant series, advice to any team who wants a crack at that record. But that will have to be next year.

For I have a cunning plan. :)

I'm watching you! :blink:

:huh::D

Congratuations to everyone who did the series on Tuesday!

MarcB

Moote said

I think we only clocked up around 150 miles, but that was because I spent a longtime working out the best running order.

I had planned it carefully down to 112 miles and due to a diversion or two Jolly Jaxs said that it was something like 136miles.

So, I still have a cunning plan.

Moote said

I think we only clocked up around 150 miles, but that was because I spent a longtime working out the best running order.

I had planned it carefully down to 112 miles and due to a diversion or two Jolly Jaxs said that it was something like 136miles.

So, I still have a cunning plan.

But how can you plan to do it again???

Was it the fact that the record breakers had logistical support from the team Badger headquarters?

We (as the team will remember) were not allowed in [:laughing:]. The staff claimed they didn’t even know MattWaggie?

See below the team upset about that lack of entry.

956e443c-69db-406d-9dd4-1d1e9fc9e441.jpg

See ya…Gary :laughing:

The quest is but a pale imitation of the original! :huh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ironbridge is far too easy these days and originally took at least two hours and a couple of slides down the 100ft sheer embankment before you stumbled upon the cache thanks to the dodgy clue! :huh:

Heywood Hornet and I still have the mud stains to prove it! :huh:

Cheers!

Seasider

I have to say that I really enjoyed the series and would recommend it to anyone, and not neccessarily as a record grabbing dash. All the locations we visted were good. There did not seem to be any locations thrown in just because the setter needed another cache to complete the set. The amount of planning (and local knowledge) that must have gone into this has definately paid off. We only had one dodgy co-ords moment, but that was in a brilliant location which more than made up for it. Top marks to MarcB. :)

......We only had one dodgy co-ords moment, but that was in a brilliant location which more than made up for it. Top marks to MarcB. :unsure:....

It was at that location that I decided not to continue trying to get to all the caches in one visit. Instead I headed home and returned the next day to finish it off. I would have hated to have finished it in the dark and missed all the great sights and locations.

It really is a great series and I can't wait to complete some of the other ones that are about :)