Bettering your hobby

NotNutts

I was on the throne, where I do my best thinking, and came up with this common-sense list.

• Be a good finder--Trade up or even, perform minor cache maintenance
  • Be nice--Leave nice logs on good caches, leave out agendas, criticize in private, don't freak out when criticized
  • Place caches you'd like to find--a little thought, time and money goes a long way
  • Support GC.com if you can afford it--This is for the mainliners. Jeremy supplies the smack, after all...
  • 'Evangelize' geocaching--Tell like-minded folks about our hobby, and teach them right

When you read this list, bear 2 3 things in mind:

1. This applies to the more than casual users
  2. I applied the K.I.S.S. principle
  3. I wanted to try out the 'list' feature

Let me know what you think

Be a responsible hider: maintain your cache, in the field and online.

It includes not only fixing it when needed and replacing logbooks etc., but also includes maintaining the integrity of the logs. While simple, I see quite a few who do not do this.

....along the same line.. how about if everyone, regardless of your experience level and expertise in placing caches, upgrade your flock of caches. Maybe make a real effort to archive your worst 10% and replace them with an equal number that are equal or better than your current best. Not saying all the lame caches would be gone forever, but the overall improvement would be significent.

so to add to the list... continually upgrade your hides.

Edited by edscott

It includes not only fixing it when needed and replacing logbooks etc., but also includes maintaining the integrity of the logs. While simple, I see quite a few who do not do this.

....along the same line.. how about if everyone, regardless of your experience level and expertise in placing caches, upgrade your flock of caches. Maybe make a real effort to archive your worst 10% and replace them with an equal number that are equal or better than your current best. Not saying all the lame caches would be gone forever, but the overall improvement would be significent.

I don't think so. I like my caches. I suspect that most other cachers are quite happy with their hides, also.

Here's mine:

• be most excellent to other dudes and dudettes

Duuuude! :huh: The preferred nomenclature is "Girl Dude." As in, "I really like that Podcacher dude and also the Podcacher girl dude." :blink::huh::):huh:

Dudettes sound like something a dude flushes after going to the can. :blink:

Okay, let's move on.....

Here's mine:

Don't take myself, or the games I play too seriously. :D

My idea to make the hobby/sport better is to have a "Good Cache Seal of Approval" . Finders of a cache that are impressed with the location, placement or other feature of a cache could award it the GCSA. Only one cache per caching day per finder could get the award. After a cache has been awarded ten times it could have the GCSA symbol posted next to the cache type symbol next to the cache name.

My idea for the symbol would be the common smilie with a red circle around it or the smilie with points like Mr. Sunny. It would also be nice for the logger to post the reason for awarding the GCSA in their log.

What do you think? :blink:

I don't think so. I like my caches. I suspect that most other cachers are quite happy with their hides, also.

Fine then everything is perfect.. what's all the discussion about?

I think he means maintain the level trinkets and geoswag, not actually 'upgrade' the cache.

Of course we all have our definition of trinkets - one poster above alluded to "does it have any cash value?"

I have backed off putting out expensive swag. While I know it delighted finders, it was costing me a fortune.

My first 30 or so ammo box caches cost about $80. including a nice FTF prize, and replacing the swag in them was about a $40 twice-annual proposition. This made my caches popular as heck, but didn't stop anyone from taking a $5 item and leaving a quarter.

So now I try to keep nice and interesting stuff in them - but not neccessarily expensive. Much of what's in mine now has no cash value... personal signature items I got from other cachers, things I picked up at other caches, $.50 to $5. stuff from WallyWorld's sporting goods.

There have been no complaints and it costs much less, meaning I can make maintenance and refill runs much more often.

Perhaps creative thinking and gathering is more important than dollar value.

I do tend to spend more for the trade stuff I carry in my cache bag... I want cache owners and those behind me to be glad that I visited the cache. Trade up, trade even or don't trade is a policy everyone should be able to live with. No shame in not trading, but taking value and leaving junk is just wrong.

Ed

I think he means maintain the level trinkets and geoswag, not actually 'upgrade' the cache. ...

I don't think so. He specifically suggested that we archive ten percent of our caches.

I think he means maintain the level trinkets and geoswag, not actually 'upgrade' the cache. ...

I don't think so. He specifically suggested that we archive ten percent of our caches.

Great idea -- I'll do it!!

That is, as soon as I decide which 0.8 of a cache from my current list of eight hides is the worst -- AND as soon as I figure out how to archive 0.8 of a cache.

How the heck does one go about archiving eight tenths of a cache?

Some ideas:

• Remove most of the swag and the container, then leave the just the front cover of the log lying on the ground under just the the lid of the ammo can.
  • Start randomly deleting four out of every five "Found-It" logs.
  • Click on the "Archive Listing" button with only 80% of normal mouse-click force.
  • Arrange for my local reviewer to randomly archive and unarchive the cache such that it is only available for 4.8 hours each day.
  • Add a "CITO REQUIRED" logging requirement.
  • Convert it to a TerraCache.

Right, I feel that a great way to improve our caches is to get rid of the worst and replace them with ones that are better. I realize that some hiders have better caches than other hiders. It is probably a function of experience, imagination, and other factors that are not necessarily part of the discussion, but if the best hiders were to do even better and the worst improve what they have, doesn't the average go up? Sure I think my worst one is still better than certain other folk's best one (...and I guess so does sbell111), but if we all improve, the sport improves. BTW swag is not really a factor for me.. Give me a box and a log at the right coordinates, and in a spot that is fun to get to, and fun to be at, and I am happy.