Garmin csx piece of junk?

QK-N-EZ

I bought a new Garmin 60csx about 5 weeks ago & I am thoroughly disgusted with it. Not only am I having the problem with the compass needle disappearing, but when it is working, it is totally inaccurate. Can't find a blasted thing with it, so I'm forced to use my old, worn out Magellan sportrak Pro to guide me to the cache.

If I recalibrate a minimum of 2 times, then it will finally point the right way, but not before I've walked a huge amount of distance that is totally wrong for the cache location. I don't mind recalibrating, but the problem is knowing when it needs to be done. I can't ever just assume once I get to where the cache site is, that it is in fact the right location & distance. In most cases the cache is within 250-300 feet, but I'm walking 1/2 mile or more, following the stupid GPS. I've had to give up on several occasions because with the weather being so hot recently, I start to wilt & get very frustrated with not being able to find the cache in a reasonable amount of time.

I think the 60csx is not nearly as good as the 60C & I surely wish I had bought that one instead. I love the mapping of the csx, but I can live without all the extra maps, as long as I have most of OR in there.

Right off the bat, the csx locked up & wouldn't turn on. Then after much fiddling, I could turn it on, but not off! Luckily the dealer I bought it from exchanged it for another, but I think I should have just went with a Magellan & been done with it.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks,

QK

I bought a new Garmin 60csx about 5 weeks ago & I am thoroughly disgusted with it. Not only am I having the problem with the compass needle disappearing, but when it is working, it is totally inaccurate. Can't find a blasted thing with it, so I'm forced to use my old, worn out Magellan sportrak Pro to guide me to the cache.

If I recalibrate a minimum of 2 times, then it will finally point the right way, but not before I've walked a huge amount of distance that is totally wrong for the cache location. I don't mind recalibrating, but the problem is knowing when it needs to be done. I can't ever just assume once I get to where the cache site is, that it is in fact the right location & distance. In most cases the cache is within 250-300 feet, but I'm walking 1/2 mile or more, following the stupid GPS. I've had to give up on several occasions because with the weather being so hot recently, I start to wilt & get very frustrated with not being able to find the cache in a reasonable amount of time.

I think the 60csx is not nearly as good as the 60C & I surely wish I had bought that one instead. I love the mapping of the csx, but I can live without all the extra maps, as long as I have most of OR in there.

Right off the bat, the csx locked up & wouldn't turn on. Then after much fiddling, I could turn it on, but not off! Luckily the dealer I bought it from exchanged it for another, but I think I should have just went with a Magellan & been done with it.

Thanks,

QK

Mine had the compass needle point the wrong direction, but I soon learned to watch if the distance to cache was going down. This was before I calibrated it. I found 19 caches with it in W. TX, NM, CO, and AZ. I love it so far.

I bought a new Garmin 60csx about 5 weeks ago & I am thoroughly disgusted with it. [...]Has anyone else had similar problems

I think you must have gotten a bum unit.

I got a 60CSx (my first GPSr) this past July, and I've had no problems with it similar to those you're experiencing. The closest I've come - and I hesitate to even call this a problem - is that when I'm very near to a cache the red bearing needle has a lot of trouble settling in on a specific direction. If I stop moving and give it a few moments, the electronic compass usually settles down just fine - but by then I've often already found the cache.

Hopefully your replacement unit won't have any problems, and you'll be as happy with it as I am with mine.

The dissapearing needle is a known issue and is fairly common. It is mainly due to garmin building the battery compartment to certain battery spec sizes and with all the different brands, they all do not fit snugly. This causes a moentary connectivity issue, thus making the needle disappear. The fix is to simply bend the battery prongs out a little more. Some actually put something behind/under the prongs, but I have not had to do this yet. This may be the main issue causing your problems, cause I have certainly not had any trouble, short of the initial needle dissappearing, I have thoroughly enjoyed my unit.

Edited by Fhantazm

I've had no problems with mine other than losing the compass needle twice, but I just did a quick recalibration and was fine (but thanks for the tip on the prongs in the battery compartment fhantazm - I'll give that a try). It's my first gpsr so I have nothing to compare it to, but I love mine and find it has been very accurate. The only time it didn't take me directly to the area of gz was when a new cache was published with the numbers of the coordinates transposed!

I currently have a 60csx and it is great, i have had none of the problems you have talked about. The signal does 'wander' slightly but no more than any other gps would, and much less than most through testing. I think you are probably using a defective unit and should return it for an exchange. You could also go with a 60cs, the bugs are worked out in that (I do admit there are bugs in the 60csx being that it is new but nothing nearly as bad as what you are saying).

I think it's a question of brand loyalty clouding judgement, and that human flaw runs in both directions.

Lipe's Law of GPS: All GPSes suck; they just suck in different ways.

That said, with an arsenal of over 20 GPSes at my disposal, when it's time to go caching, if I could pick only one, [i'd cringe, but ] it'd be my 60CSx.

If the OP had been a little less inflammatory, I'd have just recommended he swap the unit under warranty. While I've observed the problem he's describing while caching with a friend that also had a 60csx, they don't all do that. Whether it's a master reset or some configuration setting or a hardware swap that "cures" it, I'll say only that they don't all suffer from this problem. You also don't have to read too far into the forum to see a loss of love for competing models, so don't buy into the "green grass" affliction.

Remember Lipe's Law of GPS - the grass on the other side of the fence is merely a different colour of brown.

But I've found only a few thousand geocaches with other models and brands, so what do I know....

From what I have seen, is that the Map60CSx is a much better GPS than the eXplorist 600, and the eXplorist 500 is better than the eXplorist 600.

The problems with eXplorist GPS units are the Joystick, buttons, and sometimes problems in cold temperatures, with shutting off. My larger eXplorist XL is a good strong GPS with an excellent high resolution screen, better than my Map60Cx, but the Map60Cx is a functionally better GPS than the eXplorist with more features, but no file management system on the memory card.

I chose the Map60Cx over any other current GPS unit because of sensor problems in both Garmins and Magellans, but the drawback is a bit of elevation noise in the tracklogs.

From what I have seen, is that the Map60CSx is a much better GPS than the eXplorist 600, and the eXplorist 500 is better than the eXplorist 600.

The problems with eXplorist GPS units are the Joystick, buttons, and sometimes problems in cold temperatures, with shutting off. My larger eXplorist XL is a good strong GPS with an excellent high resolution screen, better than my Map60Cx, but the Map60Cx is a functionally better GPS than the eXplorist with more features, but no file management system on the memory card.

I chose the Map60Cx over any other current GPS unit because of sensor problems in both Garmins and Magellans, but the drawback is a bit of elevation noise in the tracklogs.

I have heard there were some problems with The Magellan Explorist 600, mainly that the mapping software wouldn't download, or other troubles with the mapping. Also that the joysticks actually fell off. My old one didn't have the joystick, so I never had a problem.

So I guess switching to Magellan wouldn't be the answer either. I would just like the Garmin to work properly, but I'm not sure if exchanging it is the solution. It would be the 3rd 60csx for me....what if the next one is even worse? It just seems that it's one heck of a lot of money for the "latest & greatest" GPS & it not function as well as the older ones.

Maybe I should just give up caching & keep the GPS as just another pretty toy!

I have heard there were some problems with The Magellan Explorist 600, mainly that the mapping software wouldn't download, or other troubles with the mapping. Also that the joysticks actually fell off. My old one didn't have the joystick, so I never had a problem.

The problems with the 600 mostly came from the sensors. The 500, which is the same thing sans compass and thermometer, has been more reliable. The most recent firmware seems to have fixed these problems. I don't recall reading anything about difficulties downloading maps or any of the buttons falling off. Moving the clickstick in certain directions (usually up) has been difficult on some units, and barjon has been having a sticking button issue on his units.

II think I should have just went with a Magellan & been done with it.

Thanks,

QK

I won an Explorist 500 last September and used it until March when I had the opportunity to use a 60CSx for a week. I have now owned a 60Cx since April and have sold the Explorist. I find the Garmin more accurate, easier to use and has a far superior signal acquisition and lock.

I have a caching buddy who had a similar problem to yours. A software reboot and re-initialization solved his problems and he now is very happy with his 60CSx. I hope your problem can be solved as easily.

Thanks,

QK

Good grief... most of you guys sound like spoiled brats... "my GPS is better than yours."

"No it isn't." "Yes it is!!" "Nyah-nyah-nyah." "Yours is junk!!" "No it isn't, yours is."

For pete's sake grow up.

The Cartograsaurus

You must be reading some other thread. Please take your own advice.

Without reading through all of this..... There is either something wrong with your unit or your settings. You say that you have gone through 3 units. This makes me think that you have a setting problems.

Are you routing "off road"?

I would suggest turning the compass off. It can only be properly used when stopped. The big problem with the 60 CSX compass is that it must be held flat. However, the GPS antenna works best when vertical. This combination makes for strange behaviour sometimes. In my experience (200+ caches found with a 60Cx), the update rate is more than adequate to not require the compass for directional information. Walking a couple of meters (5 feet) is adeqauet to align the navigation arrow properly.

Hold the unit vertical and high when closing in on the cache.

In my experience (caching and checking against survay markers) the unit is alway accuracte to within the displayed "estimated accuracy".

Edited by Red90

Good grief... most of you guys sound like spoiled brats... "my GPS is better than yours."

"No it isn't." "Yes it is!!" "Nyah-nyah-nyah." "Yours is junk!!" "No it isn't, yours is."

For pete's sake grow up.

The Cartograsaurus

No, you grow up!

Hehe.

I'm telln Mom!! :blink:

For pete's sake grow up.

The Cartograsaurus

No, you grow up!

Hehe.

Tips on using the 60CSx:

(1) Update the unit and chipset firmware using the webupdater.

(2) Ensure the batteries fit snugly; a little dense foam behind the battery clips will help if they are not snug.

(3) Recalibrate the compass any time the batteries are replaced. I also recalibrate before departing on a trailhead.

(4) When using the compass, hold the unit face up and level with the ground (horizontal). To get a GPS fix, hold the antenna vertically. BTW compass calibration must be performed with the unit horizontal.

(5) Raise the speed below which the the electronic compass takes over direction finding. This will ensure that the compass (not the bouncing GPS fix) will be used at slow speeds or when stopped.

EDIT: (6) Also remember that the GPS will display true north by default, whereas the typical basic compass displays magnetic north. Where I live there is about a 14 degree difference between these readings.

Forgive me if some of these tips may seem obvious. Just covering the bases. If none of these tips work for you, you could try a fourth GPS, or simply turn off the compass and forget it's there. Personnaly, I find the compass to be very useful and worth the "hassle" of recalibration a couple of times a day.

GW

Edited by Glenn W

It sounds like you are really having trouble with your 60csx is it true that you have traded it in 3 times?

Lets try to find out if its a setting or something else.

1) have you downloaded the latest firmware with webupdater? This is very important.

2) is your lock on road turned OFF. You dont want the gps snapping you to the nearest road when trying to find that offroad cache.

3) Are you holding your gps flat (looking down at it with the antenna pointed the direction you are walking?

Thanks,

QK

Edited by kb9nvh

Tips on using the 60CSx:

(5) Raise the speed below which the the electronic compass takes over direction finding. This will ensure that the compass (not the bouncing GPS fix) will be used at slow speeds or when stopped.

GW

Your tip 5 is important and not obvious to most cachers. It is a great tip and should stop the pointer from jumping around.

For pete's sake grow up.

The Cartograsaurus

Who's Pete

I'm Pete so stop taking my name in vain!!!!

:wub:

Another issue worth mentioning is mapping bugs. One of the bugs fixed in version 3.0 of the 60CSx application

corrects a problem with UK topo maps. There is data on these maps that would cause the unit to choke and reset. All you had to do was go to a particular location and the unit would die, I found several places where this would happen. There may be other maps out there which can cause the same problem. If your unit always seems to die when you go to a particular location, try removing the micro SD card and see if the problem goes away.

Its an option on one of the menus (compass menu?) that lets you set a speed and "time at that speed" that the electronic compass will take over. I think the default is like 90 seconds and 10mph so most walkers should pretty quickly be using the electronic over the move direction.

Forgive me for being so dense here, but I recently switched from a Magellan to Garmin and have the jumping needle problem, and I do not know what Hint #5 means. How does a person raise the speed below which the electronic compass takes over?

This is a reply I got from the OP. Seems like they are up to date and doing everything correctly. Does anyone else have anything to offer? Does garmin send back refurbs when you send in for replacement or new units? maybe are return to the store would be better?

I've only exchanged the 60CSX one time, but am about ready to do so

again, which would mean 3 different ones in less than 2 months. I'm

just afraid the NEXT 60csx will have even worse problems!

Yes, I use the updater frequently, the latest just yesterday & it says

I'm up to date with everything.

I usually switch from "follow road" to "off road" when I make the last

turn ....I go to "find geocache" & then "off road". Sometimes I just

hit the page while I'm using the navigation till it switches to compass,

but that seems to be inaccurate, so I mostly just go to the find cache

option again & the off road option. What I'm finding a lot is that if I

miss my turn, I lose the navigation & the compass just goes blank (no

red arrow). Eventually the mapping navigation reroutes, but not the

compass...have to do the "find" thing again. I have a lot of trouble

with the compass going blank, but I can get it back usually.

Yes, I'm holding the GPS flat in most instances - the little message

saying to" hold level" reminds me when I don't.

Recalibrating solves most problems temporairly, but I don't think I

should have to recalibrate 3 times while just going from one cache to

another, but that seems to be what it requires. I'm not talking about

replacing batteries here - I always start with fresh batteries &

recalibrate the minute they are put in, but obviously, that's not

enough. I'm just totally befuddled with this GPS. I've talked to a

really savvy cacher that uses the Garmin 60csx & he loves it, his dad

loves his & they've had absolutely no trouble & hadn't heard any

complaints of my variety by anyone , other than one couple that had the

trouble with the arrow always pointing the wrong way.

I sure hope you have some answers. I just don't know what to do other

than try another Garmin csx one more time.

I have found that if you set the compass to work at speeds below 3mph only whilst walking to a cache the pointer is working from GPS and then as you slow down, the magnetic compass takes over. I usually do a calibration once I get away from the car and don't have too many problems, although once it got stuck 180 degrees out.

This is a reply I got from the OP. Seems like they are up to date and doing everything correctly. Does anyone else have anything to offer? Does garmin send back refurbs when you send in for replacement or new units? maybe are return to the store would be better?

I've only exchanged the 60CSX one time, but am about ready to do so

again, which would mean 3 different ones in less than 2 months. I'm

just afraid the NEXT 60csx will have even worse problems!

Yes, I use the updater frequently, the latest just yesterday & it says

I'm up to date with everything.

I usually switch from "follow road" to "off road" when I make the last

turn ....I go to "find geocache" & then "off road". Sometimes I just

hit the page while I'm using the navigation till it switches to compass,

but that seems to be inaccurate, so I mostly just go to the find cache

option again & the off road option. What I'm finding a lot is that if I

miss my turn, I lose the navigation & the compass just goes blank (no

red arrow). Eventually the mapping navigation reroutes, but not the

compass...have to do the "find" thing again. I have a lot of trouble

with the compass going blank, but I can get it back usually.

Recalibrating solves most problems temporairly, but I don't think I

should have to recalibrate 3 times while just going from one cache to

another, but that seems to be what it requires. I'm not talking about

replacing batteries here - I always start with fresh batteries &

recalibrate the minute they are put in, but obviously, that's not

enough. I'm just totally befuddled with this GPS. I've talked to a

really savvy cacher that uses the Garmin 60csx & he loves it, his dad

loves his & they've had absolutely no trouble & hadn't heard any

complaints of my variety by anyone , other than one couple that had the

trouble with the arrow always pointing the wrong way.

I sure hope you have some answers. I just don't know what to do other

than try another Garmin csx one more time.

What I don't understand is that if you are in offroad mode how do you miss a turn? When navigating off road there should be no turns indicated by the GPS, just a straight line from where you are to where you want to be.

As I stated above the GPS loses A LOT of accuracy when held flat..... Turn the compass off and hold the unit vertical. It will work much better.

I have found that if you set the compass to work at speeds below 3mph only whilst walking to a cache the pointer is working from GPS and then as you slow down, the magnetic compass takes over. I usually do a calibration once I get away from the car and don't have too many problems, although once it got stuck 180 degrees out.

Ok now I am really confused. One says to raise the speed from the default (10MPH) and another says to

a decrease to (3MPH) works for him. I found the menu for this under "Heading".

As I stated above the GPS loses A LOT of accuracy when held flat..... Turn the compass off and hold the unit vertical. It will work much better.

You have to hold the GPS flat when using the electronic compass. Period. End of story.

It sounds like you are really having trouble with your 60csx is it true that you have traded it in 3 times?

Lets try to find out if its a setting or something else.

1) have you downloaded the latest firmware with webupdater? This is very important.

2) is your lock on road turned OFF. You dont want the gps snapping you to the nearest road when trying to find that offroad cache.

3) Are you holding your gps flat (looking down at it with the antenna pointed the direction you are walking?

Hello,

I've only exchanged the 60CSX one time, but am about ready to do so again, which would mean 3 different ones in less than 2 months. I'm just afraid the NEXT 60csx will have even worse problems!

Yes, I use the updater frequently, the latest just yesterday & it says I'm up to date with everything.

I usually switch from "follow road" to "off road" when I make the last turn ....I go to "find geocache" & then "off road". Sometimes I just hit the page while I'm using the navigation till it switches to compass, but that seems to be inaccurate, so I mostly just go to the find cache option again & the off road option. What I'm finding a lot is that if I miss my turn, I lose the navigation & the compass just goes blank (no red arrow). Eventually the mapping navigation reroutes, but not the compass...have to do the "find" thing again. I have a lot of trouble with the compass going blank, but I can get it back usually.

Yes, I'm holding the GPS flat in most instances - the little message saying to" hold level" reminds me when I don't.

Recalibrating solves most problems temporairly, but I don't think I should have to recalibrate 3 times while just going from one cache to another, but that seems to be what it requires. I'm not talking about replacing batteries here - I always start with fresh batteries & recalibrate the minute they are put in, but obviously, that's not enough. I'm just totally befuddled with this GPS. I've talked to a really savvy cacher that uses the Garmin 60csx & he loves it, his dad loves his & they've had absolutely no trouble & hadn't heard any complaints of my variety by anyone , other than one couple that had the trouble with the arrow always pointing the wrong way.

I sure hope you have some answers. I just don't know what to do other than try another Garmin csx one more time.

Thanks,

QK

Tips on using the 60CSx:

GW

Your tip 5 is important and not obvious to most cachers. It is a great tip and should stop the pointer from jumping around.

Huh? I'm not sure I understand that....I'm not real savvy with this Garmin yet! How do I change the speed of the compass? I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere, but WHO EVER READS the darn thing! :( I'm willing to give that a try.

-QK-

When the GPS is moving at a good pace, the direction of travel can be accurately calculated without the use of the magnetic compass. However, when the unit slows (i.e. slow walk) or stops, the inherrent inaccuracy of the GPS signal can confuse the track indicator. Therefore, the 60CSx automatically switches between using the GPS fix while moving above a set speed, and using the compass when below that speed. There is also a setting for the time delay for the hand-off.

From the MAIN MENU page select SETUP then HEADING

At the bottom half of the screen you'll see

"Switch to compass heading when below"

5 mph

"for more than"

5 sec

For geocaching, I've found the settings listed above work well. You can experiment with these settings to find what works best for you.

Also on this page, you can change how compass directions are displayed: true north vs magnetic north, cardinal letters (N-S-E-W) vs decimal degrees vs mils.

I prefer to display true north because (by convention) most maps are alligned to true north, not magnetic north. However, this means that a compass not corrected for true north will not agree with my 60CSx.

Hope this helps,

GW

Edited by Glenn W

When the GPS is moving at a good pace, the direction of travel can be accurately calculated without the use of the magnetic compass. However, when the unit slows (i.e. slow walk) or stops, the inherrent inaccuracy of the GPS signal can confuse the track indicator. Therefore, the 60CSx automatically switches between using the GPS fix while moving above a set speed, and using the compass when below that speed. There is also a setting for the time delay for the hand-off.

From the MAIN MENU page select SETUP then HEADING

At the bottom half of the screen you'll see

"Switch to compass heading when below"

5 mph

"for more than"

5 sec

For geocaching, I've found the settings listed above work well. You can experiment with these settings to find what works best for you.

Also on this page, you can change how compass directions are displayed: true north vs magnetic north, cardinal letters (N-S-E-W) vs decimal degrees vs mils.

I prefer to display true north because (by convention) most maps are alligned to true north, not magnetic north. However, this means that a compass not corrected for true north will not agree with my 60CSx.

Hope this helps,

GW

Thanks! I did find where to change the compass setting & changed it to 5 mph but left it at 90 sec., but if 5 sec. work best, that's what I'll do!

I don't know about the true north & mag. north....not sure what to do there.

Thanks for the help from all of you that have replied.

-QK-

I don't know about the true north & mag. north....not sure what to do there.

You'd only notice the difference if you compare it with a magnetic compass. And the waypoint direction pointer is entirely unaffected by that setting anyway, as it points (or should point) into that direction regardless of the slight difference of the compass underneath.

Jan

True north equates to what is often refered to as the North Pole. In other words, the point at which the Earth's axis of rotation intersects the ground. The lines of longitude all converge on this point. Magnetic north is the point at which the Earth's magnetic field lines converge. Because these two points are quite far apart, the needle of a compass does not actually point north unless adjusted. To complicate matters, the amount of adjustment depends on where the compass is located. The GPS knows where it is and can automatically apply the proper adjustment.

GW

Edited by Glenn W