The Geocoin Fairy Geocoin?

WWC-World's Worst Cacher

OK ...................

I have geocoin failry . number 83 ... will be add when my friend ready take picture ...

she mail to me .. frist i thought oh it other stuff .... she want to revelaed the his id ....

i think i should not ..... it will spoiled this thing . if you read this geocoin failry thank .. i got two day ago . after i came home from work . it joyful .... so please i wll trest her the same very soon ..... thx you

Well, I finally have a Geocoin Fairy tale worth telling.

I had been watching the Geocoin Fairy's movements, and saw that she dropped three coins in New Orleans. I quickly alerted a couple of friends that had tried to get coins left in Mississippi but were a little too slow. One said that was too far to drive, the other said he would think about it. One of the the three coins was quickly snatched up by the cache owner, then a day or so later the second coin was picked up, but the third and final TGCF coin still sat there waiting to be found. I called my friend every day and told him to quit thinking about it and go after it, but he kept waiting. He finally said that it had surely been picked up by now (almost a week), and even though I reminded him about my conversations with Prntr1 last year (same type of situation), he wouldn't go after it.

I had read some of this thread, and knew about a cacher in Alaska that desperately wanted a TGCF coin, so I decided to do something about it. Friday morning I got up early and drove down to New Orleans, just missing the morning traffic. This was a new cache find for me, but I quickly found it, and there was the coin, waiting patiently for me. I called the friend that thought it was long gone, and when he said "Where you at?", I replied "Metairie". The phone was dead quiet for a couple of minutes, then he groaned and said he knew I had the coin and should have listened to me. He quickly offered a trade (as the other friend did later), but I told him I had something much better in mind for the coin. I cached my way home and put the final part of my plan into motion.

I fired off an e-mail to Alaska and a few days later got a cautious note with a mailing address. The coin was carefully packaged with a hand written note gifting the coin to the recipient, then placed in the mail. This past Friday, as I was getting ready to take my Scouts camping, I was notified that the coin had arrived safely in Alaska. Mission Completed! Six hours driving, seven new caches found, the chance to tell a friend "I told you so!", and now more good karma (no pun intended, Ms. Thomas) than I know what to do with! :)

To those that say "It's too far" or "You know it's already gone", I say you gotta believe and you gotta have faith! The best part of all is that, at least for one person, I got to be The Geocoin Fairy! :):D:D

I've just wandered here from the UK Forum and I love the idea of the Geocoin Fairy :)

Has she ever managed the flight across The Pond? I've never heard of her coins over here.

MrsB

Of course she does. She's got wings, you know? :D Here's a link to a cache from the last time she was in the UK, in July. July TGF Visit

From there, you can check out her other caches finds (398 others) and see that she makes it all over the world.

Great job Amagrud!!!

I am sure deafhunt greatly appreciates it, we are fortunate to have a great guy like you caching here in Mississippi.

For all, Amagrud did the same for me last year, I was sure the coin was gone, and I was in the far north of MS visiting with Avroair and dhenninger, and let it go, two days later I get the call. He was kind enough to gift that coin to me.

Thanks again!!!

I have a GCF geocoin story but it is pale after reading amagrud's story. What a wonderful and considerate thing to do! Because amagrud is a geocaching buddy and friend of mine, I can say that this is not surprising for him to do - he just doesn't like to let the kindness show.

My heatstroke run happened almost accidentally. I travel with my job so am rarely around computer access during the day. I had been with amagrud when he found his first coin this year and knew that there would probably be others to pop up in the area.

Had been having computer problems so the next morning after amagrud's find I went by the office and decided to check email, new caches, geocoin fairy posts, etc before I dropped off my computer to be worked on some more. Holy toledo, there was a drop about five miles from my office!

I fabricated an emergency and hit the door running. All during that very long drive I imagined geocachers from all over the world after MY COIN!!! It is quite a hike into the swamps to "Mule Jail", previous home of the Geocoin Fairy Geocoin - probably around 20 or 30 miles. Just kidding, it felt like that. I don't remember the temperature that day but MS was having 106 - 107 heat index days and it was around 11:30 am. I jumped out of the car and started jogging in - I'm not a jogger, but by now my imagination had the cachers after MY COIN to an astronomical number.

So, everytime I tried to slow down and catch my breath the imagination took over and the race was on. Finally got to the cache and was afraid to open it. Surely, I could not be so lucky as to be the first. After a liter of water, I opened the cache and there was that beautiful, unclaimed Geocoin Fairy Geocoin. I don't really remember the trip out but I know I did a lot of laughing.

I noticed a SUV parked conspicuously near MY COIN and found out later it was eagle700 and he was indeed after MY COIN! Too bad - I finished that marathon and took home the grand prize. Couldn't do it again if my life depended on it - unless there were GCF Geocoins involved.

Great coin! Lots of fun! MY COIN!!!

It's there.. they spelled fairy wrong.. try fariy...

Weird. I still can't pull that listing out of Ebay, even searching "fariy" under "worldwide"...

Never mind, I wasn't going to bid for it anyway... Just interested.

MrsB :laughing:

Lucilla, it's there and I am not sure why it isn't showing on a search, but I know they don't show listings of finished auctions, but you can usually still pull them up by using google! So I did the same thing here and found it!

Try this linky.

Sorry to see they are also selling an Easter Geocoin Bunny Coin too!

BTW, nice to see you in these parts :lol:

Wendy & Cz

Edited cos me fingers don;t move at the same speed as me brain!

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

It's there.. they spelled fairy wrong.. try fariy...

Weird. I still can't pull that listing out of Ebay, even searching "fariy" under "worldwide"...

Never mind, I wasn't going to bid for it anyway... Just interested.

MrsB :laughing:

... deleted as all was said before ...

Edited by Team 'zZZz'

Lucilla, it's there and I am not sure why it isn't showing on a search, but I know they don't show listings of finished auctions, but you can usually still pull them up by using google! So I did the same thing here and found it!

BTW, nice to see you in these parts :laughing:

Wendy & Cz

Thanks for the link, Wendy - Got it now :lol: (And I've just tried doing the search for it again and this time it worked :P )

deafhunt, that's great! We vacationed in AK around the time those were in the area (you might remember my name in the logbook). We checked out the cache in Valdez too (in a timely manner). I think that coin might be in just as much high demand up there. Guess the fairy doesn't visit AK much. :laughing:

Lucky me I found a silver one in one of my caches today! I saw the email when I woke up and said to myself "dadgum! only if I saw this last night, by 5 it will easily be gone!" Still I took a long lunch break and drove right to the closest spot, which still gave me a mile walk in my suit. Of course there was the steep climb up the rocks at the cache site so I still felt the pain. I opened the cache and there was nothing, I dumped it out anyway and "ding" there it was. Been seeking one of these things for over a year now. Thanks! and happy to say these coins have been in two of my caches in 2 different states! Now that I found one I will certainly leave the others for "others" to find!

flyingmoose

Lucky me I found a silver one in one of my caches today! I saw the email when I woke up and said to myself "dadgum! only if I saw this last night, by 5 it will easily be gone!" Still I took a long lunch break and drove right to the closest spot, which still gave me a mile walk in my suit. Of course there was the steep climb up the rocks at the cache site so I still felt the pain. I opened the cache and there was nothing, I dumped it out anyway and "ding" there it was. Been seeking one of these things for over a year now. Thanks! and happy to say these coins have been in two of my caches in 2 different states! Now that I found one I will certainly leave the others for "others" to find!

flyingmoose

Congratulations Flyingmoose and all the recent finders. Since I know that this one was local it gives me hope that maybe one day, I too can find this wonderful coin.

Hopefully I will be able to see this one first hand at one of the next events.

Sad to say, but another one has made an appearance on ebay. This one said that it was designed by "The Coin Lady" but I thought it was designed by Jamie of Madhatter's Neverland?

It's on madhatter's website as designed by him. Got a link you can pm me? "geocoin fairy" search yielded nothing on an ebay search.

flyingmoose

I saw that post, too. I went there hoping to find the Geocoin Fairy's coin, but flyingmoose beat me to it. (Did he tell you that the cache description is in German? :laughing: Had to translate before I left.) We were coming from opposite directions, but flyingmoose had the advantage, he knew where the cache was and was familiar with the location.

The GCF visited another cache nearby, and I wasn't even going to bother because I thought whoever found this one would certainly have gone to the other site, too. I got there and pulled everything out of that humungus cache, but I didn't find the coin . . .until I signed the logbook. Just as flyingmoose described, you open the logbook and voila! Out fell the lovely Fairy coin! I was ecstatic!

However, in my hast to get to the cache, I don't know what I did when I marked the waypoint for the parking lot because when I left the cache site, following the parking waypoint, I was still somewhere in the woods. . . all alone! I walked for about 20 minutes and finally ran into civilization, but man, was I far, far away from that parking lot. Fortunately for me, a park ranger, (Thank you for your kindness, Jim) gave me a ride to my car. I was MILES away! :D Whoa, how did I get so far off track? And who said you couldn't get lost with a GPSr? :anitongue:

Oh well, I'm safe at home and now the proud owner of coin #133 from the Geocoin Fairy. Thank You so much for the coin, Geocoin Fairy!

flyingmoose

I saw that post, too. I went there hoping to find the Geocoin Fairy's coin, but flyingmoose beat me to it. (Did he tell you that the cache description is in German? :laughing: Had to translate before I left.) We were coming from opposite directions, but flyingmoose had the advantage, he knew where the cache was and was familiar with the location.

The GCF visited another cache nearby, and I wasn't even going to bother because I thought whoever found this one would certainly have gone to the other site, too. I got there and pulled everything out of that humungus cache, but I didn't find the coin . . .until I signed the logbook. Just as flyingmoose described, you open the logbook and voila! Out fell the lovely Fairy coin! I was ecstatic!

However, in my hast to get to the cache, I don't know what I did when I marked the waypoint for the parking lot because when I left the cache site, following the parking waypoint, I was still somewhere in the woods. . . all alone! I walked for about 20 minutes and finally ran into civilization, but man, was I far, far away from that parking lot. Fortunately for me, a park ranger, (Thank you for your kindness, Jim) gave me a ride to my car. I was MILES away! :D Whoa, how did I get so far off track? And who said you couldn't get lost with a GPSr? :anitongue:

Oh well, I'm safe at home and now the proud owner of coin #133 from the Geocoin Fairy. Thank You so much for the coin, Geocoin Fairy!

What a story!!

Congratulations on your find! Glad you made it back to all of us safe and sound! :laughing:

I saw that post, too. I went there hoping to find the Geocoin Fairy's coin, but flyingmoose beat me to it. (Did he tell you that the cache description is in German? <_< Had to translate before I left.) ...

BOOMM-BOOMM-BOOMM ... that was my heart beat like when my eyes first flew over this post ... german cache description ?!?! Does this mean ... could this mean ... The Geocoin Fairy to visit Germany ?!?!? :P

All right - things are clear now :D What a pitty for us here in Germany :)

Congratulations Degai!!!

Dirk

IT HAPPENED!!!!!!!...Heres an instant classic for ya!!!!! Get this...Attended Geocoinfest NorCal last weekend and guess what! Amongst all the event time fun and games I finally decided to grab some grub and sat down with Dadfish. While enjoying the Lasagna I look back at the table of which my coins are laying, only to see Geodiamond discovering my trackables...I hurry to him to ensure he is only collecting my activated coin #'s and not goin through my whole book of unactivated coins when...as I head back to my plate 'O' grub I notice a coin laying next to my trader box. Didnt think much of it till I caught a glimpse of it on my way by...WHAT??????-You gotta be kiddin me!

I quickly snatched it up and showed it to Geodiamond who didnt even notice it was the Geocoin Fairy laying there...How Cool. I quickly showed it to all that I could and made no haste as to showing it off to the best of my excited abilities, looking around carefully for the onlook of the Fairy!...No Fairy to be found! She was in and out with the quickness of a stealthly and well trained Fairy!

It felt so good to find that Fairy sittin there and to have it apparently left for me to find mysteriously was one of the greatest finds I have yet to find! Forman came to me soon after as the Geocoin Fairy had already logged the event and was gone as he has the Fairys movements sent directly to his PDA so he can readily make the grab he has been eagerly awaiting for...Not today Forman~Not today <_<

Thank you Geocoin Fairy...Thank You, I didnt really know how I was ever gonna get one of these beauts as I have not been able to be as active here as I wished I could recently...Thanks for lookin out for me!

Heres a pic of me with my Fairy that Rivercity was able to take for me...Thanks Rivercity!

243e809e-3fec-41e5-bdca-a781547edf94.jpg

Started out the day to the event with a tire Blowout and a late departure, but as soon as I stepped foot at the event...All was good!

Congrats to Flying Moose and Degai and all the other finders...The Fairy may not have made it to Germany for ya, but I handed over a Green Jeep to make it there for ya!

I swore I would never post here, but in light of recent events, I felt the need to. Due to the recent eBay listings, I am probably going to end this project with the antique silver version of my coin. I did want to do an antique copper version next year, but I didn't make these coins to have people profit from them on eBay. They were gifts for cachers and geocaching in general.

Just so some places don't think I have forgotten about them, currently there are coins in these areas waiting to be placed:

Czech Republic 2 (since July)

Germany 4 (since July)

Alberta, Canada 1 (since August)

Alaska 2 (since August)

West Virginia 1

Washington 3

Virginia & DC 3

Nevada 3 (since September)

Kansas 3

Wisconsin 3

Lost in transit:

Netherlands 4

Australia 2

Texas 3

For those of you who found this coin, should you decide you no longer want it, please trade it to someone who does for commercialized coins you can freely sell on eBay.

Thank you.

Congrat's 007 Big D, that is a great story and I'm really happy you got one of them!

GCF: Wow, sad news indeed. Your kindness has been much appreciated, thanks for putting so many happy smiles on many faces. I'm hoping that you can find a way to work around this issue but you do what you need to do. I know I'll never part with my fairy coin as it was too much fun finding it! Thanks for everything but still hoping you'll keep your project going.

~tsun