The Geocoin Fairy Geocoin?

WWC-World's Worst Cacher

I am SOOOO lucky to have found one of these great coins in Jacksonville, FL yesterday morning. Wish I'd read this thread earlier....I'm also lucky that apparently no one else around here knew about it either! It sat in the cache I found it in for five days before I grabbed it. I was amazed it was there, and thrilled to death. Thanks, Geocoin Fairy, for a much-needed great big smile!!

Off to add myself to the Frappr map...

After finding my geocoin fairy coin I went back and read most of this thread.

One thing I didn't know was about the Santa/Christmas coin. I found one of these in a cache last December, first coin I'd ever seen. Pretty cool, I didn't realize it was a similar thing as the geocoin fairy. Now I know why I couldn't figure out who left it.

Also just curious about TGF #1 coin. Was this auctioned already?

Nope. I'm waiting till closer to the holidays where it will benefit the Salvation Army Toys for Tots program.

Wow, you where fortunate enough to get number one from the GCF ? You know me, I like to bid on Charity coins, I can't wait. Would it be OK to win a GCF Geocoin since I already own one? I know it was bad practice to possess two of these coins.

Edited by Damenace

Nope. I'm waiting till closer to the holidays where it will benefit the Salvation Army Toys for Tots program.

Wow, you where fortunate enough to get number one from the GCF ? You know me, I like to bid on Charity coins, I can't wait. Would it be OK to win a GCF Geocoin since I already own one? I know it was bad practice to possess two of these coins.

Wow, I wonder where #7 is <_<

Wow, I wonder where #7 is <_<

Heh, read his/her logs ;)

And for others who have found coins, does the Fairy sign the logbook? We couldn't find a log.

Nope I don't think so, it's all TGF can do to drop off the coin, pens are too hard to handle :) She's just a wee little thing after all :P .

I believe there have been a few caches where TGF did sign the logs. Perhaps the more relaxed & secluded areas? Don't know, but I do believe there have been some logs signed, but not many.

And for others who have found coins, does the Fairy sign the logbook? We couldn't find a log.

Nope I don't think so, it's all TGF can do to drop off the coin, pens are too hard to handle :) She's just a wee little thing after all :P .

I believe there have been a few caches where TGF did sign the logs. Perhaps the more relaxed & secluded areas? Don't know, but I do believe there have been some logs signed, but not many.

I do believe TGF signed the log, though it be wee and brief, when he/she was by our cache in Arizona and left a coin for my son, whom we are still waiting for the tooth to come out so he can be given that special coin!

Edited by X_MarksTheSpot

Interesting -- are all the caches the coin fairy visited near airports? I suspect that this is someone that works for an airline given the geographic diversity of the coins.

Calgary (where I live) has many, many international flights and flights from the USA. So I am going to try some caches on Thursday and Tuesday in the area -- this seems to be a heavy day for flights from Texas and Eastern regions of the US (actually -- there are some California, Colorado and Nevada flights on these days as well).

Hummmm maybe I'll get lucky and the fairy will make it to South Bend....what a neat idea the fairy has us all buzzing.

Airports, yes, but sadly, not the one nearest us!

BTW, is the Geocoin Fairy on vacation? Don't think I've seen any new hides in a few days. Hope he/she is just resting up...

(S)He seem to go in groups. Perhaps waiting for clearance on a flight plan? Maybe (s)he travels for business and thus only gets out when business demands. I don't know, but yes, it has been pretty slow again, so I'd guess for another rush of a few states soon.

Nope I don't think so, it's all TGF can do to drop off the coin, pens are too hard to handle :D She's just a wee little thing after all ;) .

She signed the log in the cache in our area. This is another reason I think she doesn't actually visit caches. She sends coins to local accomplices (perhaps people in this thread? :) ) , who drop the coins for her, and sign the log or not depending on their preference.

She signed the log in the cache in our area. This is another reason I think she doesn't actually visit caches. She sends coins to local accomplices (perhaps people in this thread? ;) ) , who drop the coins for her, and sign the log or not depending on their preference.

Some caches don't have writing utensils and her garb doesn't have any place to put one. Oh yee of little faith. Don't you believe in pixie dust? I do believe and The Geocoin Fairy visited me!!!

(I do have to admit though that I did have some wine beforehand but it REALLY was The Geocoin Fairy I saw! I just know it was!!!)

Nope I don't think so, it's all TGF can do to drop off the coin, pens are too hard to handle :) She's just a wee little thing after all :) .

She signed both logs I saw in my area...and I noticed she wrote some nice things in the logbook at the cache about the young man that the cache was dedicated to: The Ultimate Sacrifice

I noticed that the post she wrote for her most recent find in ITALY (wow!) stated that she'd been ill... damaged a wing I think... and was late posting the find and subsequent coin drop. Hey, who ever wins the auction for the #1 coin, if you already own one, drop it in another cache (preferably in SW Maine?)!

But was the log signed in English or Italian? Is the fairy multi-lingual as well? I'm sure the tooth fairy and Santa and all others of their type are, or else how could they communicate with children all around the world?

Has this been queried before? Has speculation run the gamut of who might possibly be the GCF?

Has the mystery been solved?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I haven't seen much speculation on who it might be. Just the typical 'must be an airline pilot', or my thought, works for a company that requires a lot of flights.

Er..I mean, I DO BELIEVE! I must, for I did get a coin, and it is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything. What number did I get?

Edited by Haughton's Hunters

I noticed that the post she wrote for her most recent find in ITALY (wow!) stated that she'd been ill... damaged a wing I think... and was late posting the find and subsequent coin drop. Hey, who ever wins the auction for the #1 coin, if you already own one, drop it in another cache (preferably in SW Maine?)!

But was the log signed in English or Italian? Is the fairy multi-lingual as well? I'm sure the tooth fairy and Santa and all others of their type are, or else how could they communicate with children all around the world?

Goodness, man...be careful here...we're talking about the land of faery.fadeaway.gif Powerful, dangerous stuff...

I do believe, I do believe, I do believe!

Got coin #211 yesterday here in Southeast Tennessee!

Thanks for the visit GCF! :P

A detail or two for the record...............

This coin sat in the cache for 17 days without being found and yes, the Geocoin Fairy's signature was in the log! Very nice handwriting in pretty purple ink dated 10-6-06! So we know for a fact that the fairy did visit our area!

Ye of little faith just have to learn to believe!

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

Has this been queried before? Has speculation run the gamut of who might possibly be the GCF?

I haven't seen much speculation on who it might be. Just the typical 'must be an airline pilot', or my thought, works for a company that requires a lot of flights.

Er..I mean, I DO BELIEVE! I must, for I did get a coin, and it is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything. What number did I get?

42? or was it 49?

According to the Hitchhiker :P

I have #100 myself :P

I think we can discount the coins are mailed to various group members to put in caches due to the lack of activity lately and possible sickness/broken wing. One thing I know from first hand experience, whomever TGF is, is that this individual has a kind heart and is determined to help bring some wishes and fun into the world while visiting special places all over the world.

I have also pondered who TGF was and even tried to get TGF to relinquish the secret, however the magic behind the person and how TGF travels around so much cannot be revealed -- "it is part of the mystery of the fairies!" It is my understanding TGF wants to get more coins put into caches to be traded.

42? or was it 49?

According to the Hitchhiker :P

I have #100 myself :P

Yes, 42 indeed.

I have also pondered who TGF was and even tried to get TGF to relinquish the secret

I haven't tried to get the answer out of the fairy directly, though I do wonder who it is. Perhaps one day (s)he will reveal themself. Or just let it fall into mystery, who knows. Of course, maybe the latter would be better. Come swooping in, spread some joy for others and then quietly slip away. (S)He is apparently not doing this for recognition but rather for the enjoyment of us, the geocoin community.

Thanks again fairy!

A follow-up to a posting some time back. The tooth has finally come out! I've been waiting 28 days since TGF flew over to Arizona for a stop at our cache to kindly leave his/her special coin. It was sometime in August when we attended a geocaching event where my little one apparently had seen Haughton Hunter's geocoin collection. Well, the little one had been thinking about it awhile and one day out of the clear blue, he told me the next time he lost a tooth he was going to ask for that fairy geocoin from the tooth fairy - because it was very special. I temporarily panicked and was thinking it was easier for me to get $1 million than to get a coin that ONLY comes from a fairy. The Geocoin Fairy heard of my predicament and my son's unique upcoming fairy request. Soon I was retrieving a coin from one of my caches. I've been holding it ever since waiting for the tooth to come out. When the day arrived he did not forget to ask for that coin! Of all places he could have lost his tooth, it was at a geocaching event! A fellow cacher and I drove down to Casa Grande with our kids to the awesome annual Halloween Radioactive Geocaching Event last Saturday. When Black_Cat and I came back from finding dead men caches in the desert, he came running up to me all excited that his tooth came out. He had been bobbing for rubber mice, fear factor style, and POP, "it just came out." As soon as he got home he wrote his letter, bagged up the tooth, and put it under his pillow. He woke me up at 2:00 a.m.! “Mom the tooth fairy brought that coin! Wake up, read me this letter and what is says on the coin.” After a few serious blinks I read the letter and it was a little more difficult to read the back of the coin that early, but we managed. He couldn’t go back to sleep for an hour! Bright and early he packed up that coin and took it to show and tell at school. It is now in his safe, awaiting us to start him a geocoin book. He was so proud and excited. I also told him how very special it was to get the #2 coin. In request of TGF to get more geocoins in circulation, I purchased one of the Halloween geocaching event’s glow-in-the-dark geocoins and will be putting it one of my caches this weekend. Thanks again TGF for bringing happiness everywhere you go!

Sorry, I tried to add some personal pics of the letter and stuff, but I do not know how to load images.

Edited by X_MarksTheSpot

Thanks for the update, X_MarksTheSpot, neat story.

When I got home yesterday I got a wonderful surpries, it seems TGF did return to New Jersey and dropped a coin off for the GeocoinFest raffle. Thanks so much! :(

TGF, if you ever read the forums, Keep up the good work! I believe! :P

EDIT: And for those of you keeping track of the numbers, it was a low one too! #003

Edited by avroair

X MarksTheSpot, what a great story! To me, that's what TGF is all about... I love the mystery and excitement that TGF has created; this is one of my favorite threads to read. While I'd love to find a coin myself it's the stories like yours that are the REAL treasure. Thanks for sharing!

PS. The CA gold country is an awful special place to visit TGF, if you ever get a chance! (Still hoping).

XMTS -- That is a really great story! I am glad your little one got such a special prize for losing his tooth. I am sure he was just as happy as our little girl was when she got her Fairy coin.

Also how neat that she dropped one by to avroair for the raffle......which reminds me I have to mail my coins off! :)

PS: I'm the one who nominated you for the GGA Steph :P

Thank You so much! :P:(:P I appriciate that you thought of me for that, now we will just see if I win the election. :(

874410001161985931.gif

Two more states.....Iowa and Vermont THE GEOCOIN FAIRY IS BACK IN ACTION!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool! (S)He's getting close to all 50 states!

Once done all 50 states of course we in the almost great white north would welcome TGF to God's Country, Northern Manitoba, Canada, where caching is in it's infancy and there are some good quality caches for her to visit and place her welcome presence in. Not to mention the Northern experience she would take with her to share forever.

I couldn't believe it!

It was my last day in Italy and and had just a few more Rome Travelers to drop off. We were driving back to Rome and my wife spotted a cache located on the beach. It had the advantange of having a traveling Prague geocoin in it. We thought "a chance to touch a coin I had touched once before when I first mailed it out." It was just a few miles off the highway and it was getting dark. We made the turn; found a parking spot just a couple of tenth's from the cache and fought the bushes. I got stickers dodged TP and other discusting trash. Couldn't find it.

There one one more cache just 6 miles away on the top of the mountain. The sun was setting I was deseperate. We raced up the little mountain through hairpin turns, praying we would smash our little Smart Car into downcoming traffic. Finally we were down to a few hundred feet and we slowed. Finally siting in the middle of the road 34 feet from the cache. There was a little social trail but it was almost dark.

I climbed up the bank and the only light I had was from my GPS. I could hardly see a think. Then I saw it! A cylinder completely covered with black electrical tape. I grabbed went down to the car to write in the log book, place the last coins in the cache. I looked to see what else was in there. I couldn't believe it!

There siting in the bottom of the container was another Geocoin Fairy Coin. I am begining to feel like I am being stocked by that little flying creature. Knowing it would be bad luck to own two fairy coins, I left it for the next owner.

Here is where you can find it:GCNRYF

If anyone cares, it is # 82

I believe, I believe -- (well I always believed -- but now --!!!) I spent the day caching in Mt Pleasant MI (about 40 miles from home). It was cold and wet (rain / snow mix) and windy, and I'm thinking to myself "What the heck am I doing out here in this kind of weather?" But I rarely get to cache without the grandkids tagging along, so I went anyway. I love caching with the kids, but it takes alot more time and energy when they're with me and we're doing extremely well to find 3 caches in a day.

So, anyway, it's about 3 in the afternoon, the rain/snow has finally stopped, but I'm still cold and wet (especially my tennis shoes & socks) and I'm thinking I've had about enough, but I'll do one more cache. I get to Jove's Dead End Stash and start reading the logbook -- what's this??? The Geocoin Fairy??? NO WAY!! Yep (s)he was there and left a coin.

This is SO COOL!! I wanted one of these so much! Thank you TGF whoever you are.

Windrose

Hooray for XMTS! I'm glad it all worked out for you and your young ones. I would have been disappointed myself had they seen my coin and then been unable to get one for themselves. Of course, if I remember correctly, you do have two children do you not? Is the other one asking for their coin and hoping for a tooth to fall out now?

No, only one of those children were mine - the boy. The girl was another geocacher's child -- we came together to the event. I haven't heard of her make mention of the coin - yet I truly don't know if she has talked about wanting one herself. As far as a tooth ready to fall out soon - again, I don't know, but she is in that age bracket where the baby teeth come out as they wish. My little one lost another one last night and my friend's daughter is about six months behind him in age. Thanks for your genuine care and concern.

Edited by X_MarksTheSpot
:D Well the GCF is back in Missouri, or was yesterday anyways. I got a notification this morning that a cache on my watchlist was visited by the GCF, GCPJ2Z Needless to say I grabbed a nice coin to trade and hit the road. I have been following this thread in the forums for some time now and have really enjoyed the logs and finds and adventures of the GCF. I knew that she/he had visited Missouri before but I thought that I missed my chance and that was that. Well I was wrong, according to the log, the coin s/he left had my name on it, Literally. :D How is this possible? So it didn't take me too terribly long to get there, seeing as how it seems these coins don't seem to stay in caches for long. I got to the park and it was very quiet, I made it to the cache and sure enough it was still there, #57 WOOHOO!!! I did my trade, did my happy dance and headed back to the truck. Grinning all the way. This week started out with losing a coin and ended up finding an even nicer one, so I guess I'm actually ahead of the game. Thanks GCF, I really appreciate it. -57' :D

:D:D:D

The youngest dragons (Heather) makes a pretty woodlands fairy...

heatherfairy.jpg

Too bad her wand doesn't make geocoins magically appear...usually it just makes her sister mad when she gets bopped on the head with it! LOL!

I was going to say "who cares", but then I saw this precious pic. Ok, for shots like this I will tolerate this string. GOnTO :D