The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Wow, almost lost this thread. Can't believe it's been over a month since the last post!

Oh well, bumping it and posting pictures from my hike today.

Even at an early age, they know how to appreciate a view:

3c5462cb-a9e8-41ae-911e-c1cc21de4ce7.jpg

The boys with the cache (exhausted after the 3.5 miles hike)

87ad5cd2-d678-401c-afcf-60e7382e1b2f.jpg

The three of us at the summit (11,428)

2800886d-bf1e-4616-8846-c5d121625950.jpg

The three of us at the summit (11,428)

2800886d-bf1e-4616-8846-c5d121625950.jpg

Way to go guys! Is that another cache hidden in that rock?

That's the summit register. And by completing the 7 mile, 2400 ft elevation gain hike today, they've proved that they're able to go on the hike for the upcoming 4x4 event too!

Even at an early age, they know how to appreciate a view:

3c5462cb-a9e8-41ae-911e-c1cc21de4ce7.jpg

Oh how I am envious of you guys. There are times when I truly regret not jumping on a slim chance to move to Colorado about 11 years ago. I really need to get out there in the summer again and do some caching/camping/hiking. As it stands right now it is 6 months and 7 days until we leave for Summit County for our annual ski trip.

***sigh***

The views in this state never cease to amaze me:

925d238b-d697-4273-94ea-6361bff60bca.jpg

Now if only all the roads were FOCUS friendly (yes, I went on this road):

04727025-5390-4563-8dc5-dd61808d9552.jpg

Chris:

I think you let the cat out of the cache bag. There is so much speculation on the new challenge caches and you make the mystery so simple. The challenge is to take the family car on a jeep run and live to tell about it. Glad you had a nice trip.

Here's an email I just received from Westminster, Colorado (I get a quite a few of these) -

"You finally did it! I did'nt (sic) think ANYONE could get my 14 year old son outside away from his PS2!! I drug him along yesterday on a hunt and he is going nuts about getting out and finding more. We visited 3 sites yesterday, looks like we might see another one today. "

That's what I'm talking about icon_biggrin.gif ( :D )

Jeremy

From this early forum post dated 06 August 2001. Who do suppose that was and are they still caching?

The "son" would be 24 by now.

Hey guys!

My friend DarceeAnne and I got turned onto geocaching just a month ago and i'm already up to 58, (12 today!)

We are having a great time but are looking for some caches that are a little more challenging or finding ones that bring you to an epic place. Does anyone have favorites they'd like to share? I've been looking at 5/5's and I'll tell you, we're pretty tough, so bring it on!

Hey guys!

My friend DarceeAnne and I got turned onto geocaching just a month ago and i'm already up to 58, (12 today!)

We are having a great time but are looking for some caches that are a little more challenging or finding ones that bring you to an epic place. Does anyone have favorites they'd like to share? I've been looking at 5/5's and I'll tell you, we're pretty tough, so bring it on!

a good 5/5 to go after is Wyrmholesit takes all day to do but worth doing it is lots of fun

Edited by tsnyder88

Hey guys!

Well if you want something that will be slightly challenging then this Cache and this cache should keep you busy for awhile. Maybe you can be the FTF on this one

Hi there, I'm brand new to geocaching, signed up this week and went out today trying to find some after a friend of mine in Canada recommended I check it out. Sadly I had little luck. I'm still not even really sure what I'm looking for as hiding places sometimes. Is there anyone in the North Denver Metro/Boulder Area who feels like playing mentor?

I've lived in Colorado my whole life (34 years) and think this seems like a great way to keep the state interesting and to help me find more interesting places as well.

-John

Hi there, I'm brand new to geocaching, signed up this week and went out today trying to find some after a friend of mine in Canada recommended I check it out. Sadly I had little luck. I'm still not even really sure what I'm looking for as hiding places sometimes. Is there anyone in the North Denver Metro/Boulder Area who feels like playing mentor?

I've lived in Colorado my whole life (34 years) and think this seems like a great way to keep the state interesting and to help me find more interesting places as well.

-John

Welcome to the hobby/obsession. we've been caching for a few years now and are still having a ball. I live a bit North of you, but would be willing to lend a hand. Feel free to send me an email and we'll go from there.

As a side note, I was able to enjoy another day in the hills today:

0edf2571-bc41-4164-a1d0-fdc1766743bf.jpg?rnd=0.3603787

96986e84-0644-4746-a9d1-7401c16f4eb7.jpg?rnd=0.967245

28 days from today we are leaving the flatlands of Minnesota and Wisconsin to spend a week skiing in Colorado, although it looks like we might have some free time on our hands with the poor snow conditions. I look forward to posting LOTS of pictures to this thread. We have plans for at least 3 expeditions to sight see and cache. I. Can't. Wait.

28 days from today we are leaving the flatlands of Minnesota and Wisconsin to spend a week skiing in Colorado, although it looks like we might have some free time on our hands with the poor snow conditions. I look forward to posting LOTS of pictures to this thread. We have plans for at least 3 expeditions to sight see and cache. I. Can't. Wait.

Facebook-Like-Button-big-578x278.jpg

Hey all,

I'm coming back to Colorado! I'll be leaving the flatlands of MN on September 16th and after taking a few days to get there I'll be spending the better part of the next week (or so) playing around the high country. I'm not 100% sure of my plans but I do intend to climb Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross sometime around the 22nd. I am also planning on trying for all the caches up there, so if anyone would like to join me I am looking for partners. I also will be doing some caching/climbing around Summit County and along I-70 back towards Denver on my way home.

I had this in the main forum and was redirected here. We had a large fire called the Pine Ridge Fire in DeBeque, Co (zip 81630) this July. Caches that have been placed in the Wild Horse Area may not be accessible for some time. Anybody who goes into this area MUST be on the lookout for signs posted by BLM stating which roads/trails can be travelled. There are random BLM patrols out there, and some areas have been closed for the next year for resource management. Violators will be prosecuted with fines and jail time. Many of you may never be in this area, but I wanted to get the word out all the same. Thanks.

I had this in the main forum and was redirected here. We had a large fire called the Pine Ridge Fire in DeBeque, Co (zip 81630) this July. Caches that have been placed in the Wild Horse Area may not be accessible for some time. Anybody who goes into this area MUST be on the lookout for signs posted by BLM stating which roads/trails can be travelled. There are random BLM patrols out there, and some areas have been closed for the next year for resource management. Violators will be prosecuted with fines and jail time. Many of you may never be in this area, but I wanted to get the word out all the same. Thanks.

I would imagine that Alpine Reviewer and High Country Admin are aware of the conditions there. If it were me..... and I had a cache in the burn area, I'd disable it until I could go into the area without running afoul of the law.

BTW.... I and others have caches in the Waldo Burn area that we've disabled until we can get in to check on them. From what I can gather from the local NFS office that might not be until next spring or later.

Those that want to go after the caches will ignore the signs or find a way in.

With all the fires in the area, I'm sure there will be a number of caches that are inaccessible for quite some time. I know that the High Park fire has claimed a few of them (at least one of mine).

I've disabled mine and put information on the cache page that let's everyone know (including the reviewers) that the area is closed and I'm not able to maintain it, even if I wanted to.

The key thing is communication. Even if Alpine Reviewer or HighCountryAdmin post a note on a cache page, as long as you stay in communication with them (i.e. respond), it should be OK to leave it disabled until the area opens, as long as you plan on maintaining it once the area opens back up.

0a9244f9-69cb-4f4a-9262-f02b45a4c7d7.jpg?rnd=0.4528925

Found a Cache near the Alpine Visitors Center (40.441123, -105.754003) in Rocky Mountain National Park... I haven't been actively caching in a few years, but I always lookout for out of place things. This was a 90deg PVC pipe about 3" diameter with many log books inside. I unfortunately didn't get a cache name, but I was under the impression that non virtual caches were not allowed in National Parks, but maybe that changed? I have nearby final cords if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Found a Cache near the Alpine Visitors Center (40.441123, -105.754003) in Rocky Mountain National Park... I haven't been actively caching in a few years, but I always lookout for out of place things. This was a 90deg PVC pipe about 3" diameter with many log books inside. I unfortunately didn't get a cache name, but I was under the impression that non virtual caches were not allowed in National Parks, but maybe that changed? I have nearby final cords if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Hi monkeyevil, You are correct that physical caches are not allowed in RMNP. As far as I can tell, there has never been a cache submitted for that location. It may not be a geocache and/or it may be listed on another site.

HighCountryAdmin

Volunteer Geocache Reviewer

Another CITO in the books. The weather was perfect for the day, and we were able to do so much!!

6ad7abd2-2981-4182-a5ef-d37ec4a42691.jpg

One of the bigger farm machinery pieces we needed to remove:

9c8a0593-5787-4942-a38a-d7198f78bb32.jpg

I'm not sure how much is weighed, but it sure was heavy!

0a42793f-9125-43e3-be28-82f002788170.jpg

We had to do a little digging for some of the pieces (but it's OK - the County told us to!)

7938c90d-6ce0-4bd5-b0ae-4149ebaaa6e6.jpg

The days take:

a6cec2aa-1e7c-465c-a7c3-71c151e7dc58.jpg

The crew that made it happen:

d810f088-331d-4ade-a2ac-028f5d6d7118.jpg