The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Congrats on the Find and all the new things in your life that transpired during your quest!! :)

I would have never dreamed the cache was located in a war zone.

Your new "ride" looks like it needs some work, starting with Armor Plating!

You are awful brave to be sittin' in it considering you aren't wearing a bullet proof jacket and it appears to be a Bullet Magnet. :D

Talk about a Rumble Seat! :D

Anyone else on the grand valley area? I'm a bit of a noob (haven't been able to get out as I'd like until lately), & was wondering if there was any groups (formal or not) that would welcome a strange new person in.

HEY-YO!!

While I'm not from the Grand Valley area, go to this website:

GeoCaching Colorado

You'll probably find someone there that lives in that area, or you'll find an event happening there.

Hi everyone!

We are looking for a geocacher/geocache team in Colorado who is also IEEE member or IEEE Student Member. We would like to work on a new geocache together, preferably near a university with an IEEE Student Branch. If you are interested and an IEEE member, please contact us through our geocaching.com profile.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

irisisleuk

It's been a while since I posted - been too busy in the hills having fun!

Here's a few pics from last weekends adventure when I hid this cache:

The view from the trail:

980a1b2e-c34c-48e5-b128-754b1c59beca.jpg

Flowers at the summit (notice the snow behind them?):

5a9df39d-7e67-4f2b-b0e5-9b146df40bc4.jpg

Fall Colors:

4b3edbfd-7e78-4836-91b6-fa0db1172517.jpg

And from this weekend, a few of us went out to start placing a new cache. This adventure is coming soon:

Old School Jeep (our transportation rig) by an old homestead:

b24d3ffe-106d-407f-a27c-74fe608da43f.jpg

You'll have a river crossing or two to deal with:

4d919988-18ba-4b23-9020-c318855d166a.jpg

Just a cool place to be:

2048c489-52bc-4dc3-b4e1-9aba4c5d7439.jpg

It's been a while since I posted - been too busy in the hills having fun!

Here's a few pics from last weekends adventure when I hid this cache:

The view from the trail:

980a1b2e-c34c-48e5-b128-754b1c59beca.jpg

Flowers at the summit (notice the snow behind them?):

5a9df39d-7e67-4f2b-b0e5-9b146df40bc4.jpg

Fall Colors:

4b3edbfd-7e78-4836-91b6-fa0db1172517.jpg

And from this weekend, a few of us went out to start placing a new cache. This adventure is coming soon:

Old School Jeep (our transportation rig) by an old homestead:

b24d3ffe-106d-407f-a27c-74fe608da43f.jpg

You'll have a river crossing or two to deal with:

4d919988-18ba-4b23-9020-c318855d166a.jpg

Just a cool place to be:

2048c489-52bc-4dc3-b4e1-9aba4c5d7439.jpg

Nice pictures Chris. Who is that wimp with the boots on in the river? She climbs mountains in flip flops, but has to have rubber boots to cross the river. What's with that?

Had fun this past weekend volunteering in Boulder County again.

Enjoying the view:

692ef40a-33d2-4cc6-b9fb-d0ce7bfa93e5.jpg

Helping my son fill his bag (had the whole family out):

e7673d3e-1b5e-45c1-9c81-bdb5e3a670af.jpg

A few weeks ago, Boulder County held a '35 Years of Open Space' party, and gave some recognition to its volunteer groups. Geocachers were one of them, and from what I heard, a pretty big part of it too.

The Presentation:

d95103a1-dda6-47f8-a6e5-2b0e500dbb74.jpg

The Volunteering group with the recognition award:

b0bbf3f1-e6b0-4adc-84fa-db333b02788d.jpg

Yeah, I'm proud of that one! :laughing:

Edited by Team Laxson

8 miles, 2800 feet elevation gain, 7 1/2 hours. A little snow but not too bad. We were above the clouds most of the day, and the views were phenomenal. Take a look!

Early morning, the clouds were below us at the trailhead. With the elevation gain, that didn't last long:

980a7168-d891-4a93-9e2a-dd1fbea22236.jpg

On top of the mountain, we watched the clouds come into the valleys below:

43d8af41-c7d0-4038-b8d9-3fafba4969c1.jpg

A few of the mountains struggled to keep their summits out of the clouds.

20aa9d63-1c59-4f3a-af26-a0c5d2009646.jpg

Snow capped mountains in the background - those look fun too!

4f13f4e3-59f1-4f6d-a3cb-55427dcf2a40.jpg

THE NEW COLORADO SOUVENIR

dc67ebc2-0609-452b-9e75-92eb8208789c.png

Called the "Centennial State" due to its admission to the union falling a century after the Declaration of Independence was signed, Colorado is mainly known for the Rocky Mountains. Its boundaries are entirely defined by lines of latitude and longitude.

Colorado is known for its four wheel drive trails and the geocachers that place the caches on those trails.

Edited by zoltig
Tried to find this cache today but the snow proved too much. Still an awesome day having fun though!

82db7680-1fc3-4192-adbe-eacf533b082b.jpg

Nice! Many's the time that I've skied up to Brainard. Sadly, that was a lot of years ago.

(Sorry that you didn't find the cache...but maybe now you have an excuse to go back again?)

Oh yeah, I'll be going back. From what I've heard it's usually windy, but when we were up there it was pretty strong. Can't imagine it would be like that all the time. I'd like to continue to Lake Isabelle next time.

I think Calypso Cascade and Ouzel Falls are the next trip.

Edited by Team Laxson
Tried to find this cache today but the snow proved too much. Still an awesome day having fun though!

Nice! Many's the time that I've skied up to Brainard. Sadly, that was a lot of years ago.

(Sorry that you didn't find the cache...but maybe now you have an excuse to go back again?)

Oh yeah, I'll be going back. From what I've heard it's usually windy, but when we were up there it was pretty strong. Can't imagine it would be like that all the time. I'd like to continue to Lake Isabelle next time.

I think Calypso Cascade and Ouzel Falls are the next trip.

Well, we went snowshoeing to Ouzel Falls today and had a blast! Absolutely no wind, and only a few others out on the trail today.

Frozen Solid:

ec703f67-9b50-4e6f-a218-69dc5725217f.jpg

....and still made it home in time for the game :-)

Edited by Team Laxson

Four Mile Canyon Fire Restoration CITO

This is a CITO with a difference.

6 months after the fire destroyed the area, the cleanup efforts continue. The fire directly impacted hundreds of residents and gripped the larger community for weeks, instilling a deep desire for us all to join together to restore the damaging effects of the fire. The wildfire has left thousands of acres prone to severe erosion and invasion by weeds. A multi-agency team, led by Boulder County Parks and Open Space, has developed a restoration plan for the area.

We will be planting native grass seeds on over 500 acres to resist the invasion of weeds and reduce the threat of erosion. We may also apply straw mulch and construct sand-bag barriers in flood prone areas.

2c54e694-daa6-446d-8b1e-f8172d84e700.jpg

9005f1e9-825f-49b0-b4a8-16fa4858dbcb.jpg

Help leave a legacy from yourself and Geocaching by participating in this special CITO event.

February 8 by Team Laxson (2007 found)

I have been working with Boulder County Open Space since the fire trying to get an opportunity to volunteer in this area. I am very happy to see it work out, and am really looking forward to giving back.

With the multiple agencies working together, we are expecting 150 people working in the burn area. I have tentatively estimated that we will account for 40 of them.

Please talk to you geocaching pals and promote this event!

Published with Special Permission from Groundspeak

Well, the Fourmile event was yesterday. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty still today. 8 hours in a burn zone. Lots of work done, and still lots of work to do.

7a105d00-185b-430f-8cec-21554d9ba631.jpg

8085b384-1452-49a0-b849-1c4ea8d904cf.jpg

d0ff1fac-6b32-4db7-8867-fdfae423d5ac.jpg

a7bcae8d-6512-42e2-add0-c530c70321a9.jpg

And I saw this morning that we made the news too!

It was a very rewarding experience to help out the area.

I do have to take issue with one thing that Chris said....ahhhmmmmmmm and I quote:

...but I'm pretty still today.

Truly a falsification.

Good work by everybody that attended.

I'm going to attempt THE FALCON CHALLENGE as my 3000th find. I've got about 40 caches to find before then, so it should be just a few weeks from now. If anyone is interested in joining me on this cache hunt, let me know and we'll arrange schedules to do it. No one has completed this challenge in one day before, so we could be the first ones. If we fail to complete it in one day we can get the rest the next day, so please plan on having a second day available just in case.

This is a 4.5/5 cache so be prepared for a long, challenging day. Depending on where I am on numbers, we'll stop off for some other caches on the way or afterward. Either way it should be a memorable experience.

Hello fellow Colorado residents. I have been geocaching for about a year, but haven't really been active on the forum. My son and I went out after school in Arvada and did a little caching before I had to go to work. We found 7 of the 8 we were looking for. It's always fun to get out and spend a couple hours outdoors with my son.

Hello fellow Colorado residents. I have been geocaching for about a year, but haven't really been active on the forum. My son and I went out after school in Arvada and did a little caching before I had to go to work. We found 7 of the 8 we were looking for. It's always fun to get out and spend a couple hours outdoors with my son.

Caching with the family is the way to go. Keep up the good work and go for it again.

Thanks Tahosa, we went out caching again yesterday and hid our first two caches. It was nice to actually put some out for others to find. Yesterdays trip.

Yep, caching with the family is fun. We've been caching for a while now, but our family has grown a bit since we started. They still enjoy it, and I am lucky enough that they enjoy hiking/snowshoeing with me. Now they can do some of those Tahosa caches with me.

4c7bc734-4d38-43c6-ae40-63208e9d11ab.jpg

Thanks Tahosa, we went out caching again yesterday and hid our first two caches. It was nice to actually put some out for others to find. Yesterdays trip.

Yep, caching with the family is fun. We've been caching for a while now, but our family has grown a bit since we started. They still enjoy it, and I am lucky enough that they enjoy hiking/snowshoeing with me. Now they can do some of those Tahosa caches with me.

Nice Fam.

Nice Fam.

Thanks. They were in the picture frame when I bought it. :laughing:

4e50e5e6-2288-4d3d-a927-c8e7684b47ca.jpg

You would fit right in with the Swamp People Chris.

In all seriousness though, great work guys.

Har-Har-Har!

Woke up pretty achy today. It may not look it, but those tires are HEAVY! Full of water and river sand after (how many) years submerged. I'd guess that each one was (seriously) about 100 pounds.

c6ac2c08-13f5-4e71-8d22-f3bc26b2fcd3.jpg

Tahosa would be proud of Denali41 too - that man has a work ethic that's hard to match!

WAY TO GO, COLORADO CACHERS! It looks like the CITO Event went over VERY WELL! Wish I could have been there, but I was on the other side of the Rockies getting ready for finals.

I'd love to have annother CITO Event in Colorado happen sometime before winter! Does anyone know a place that Really needs it?

I hope everyone is out enjoying the weekend :) I just wanted to make a note that if anyone has any trackables looking for miles or a goal in the far east, I will be leaving for a trip to Beijing, China on Saturday. I live up in Northglenn and don't mind driving, so if anyone wants to meet up for a cache or lunch just send me a message :)

Team Laxson, that looks like a lot of fun. I've done some caching on a on/off road bike up near Idaho Springs and Central City, but haven't ever done it in a jeep.

Thanks Ruzhye, it was a lot of fun up there. I'm a fan of those caches that don't get visited that often, and the ones that take physical energy to get to. Most of the caches weren't that far off the road, but because of the terrain they don't get visited that often. Made for a long day in the hills, but those are the best days to have.

JPIT provided the entertainment for the day for sure:

a182ece8-c6d5-49ab-8f1f-0a6fc95e68b0.jpg

Team Laxson, that looks like a lot of fun. I've done some caching on a on/off road bike up near Idaho Springs and Central City, but haven't ever done it in a jeep.

Thanks Ruzhye, it was a lot of fun up there. I'm a fan of those caches that don't get visited that often, and the ones that take physical energy to get to. Most of the caches weren't that far off the road, but because of the terrain they don't get visited that often. Made for a long day in the hills, but those are the best days to have.

They also usually seem to be larger ammo can type caches since they are away from a lot of muggles.

JPIT provided the entertainment for the day for sure:

a182ece8-c6d5-49ab-8f1f-0a6fc95e68b0.jpg

JPIT almost always provides the entertainment.