The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

2009 Mountain 4x4 Event - Mark Your Calendars

Thanks to Joe Friday, we already have an official name and theme for the 2009 event:

Mountain Fiesta and 4x4 Caching Adventure

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

We are very early in the planning stages for the event so there are no details yet, but it is likely that the event will be at a camping area with optional camping as before. There will be a Moderate and a Difficult 4x4 run again and we are also considering having an Easy run this time.

If you have not attended the Mountain 4x4 event before and you want to see what it is all about, you can check out last years event for more information. And check out the photo gallery here.

RocketMan

The event will be held in the Buena Vista area this year. The event page has been posted here.

Introducing the latest Rocky Mountain Off Road Series:

#14 Chinaman Gulch

1. Air Down

2. Rock Garden

3. Rock Pile

4. Whales Tail

5. The Stairs

6. The Chutes

7. Got View ?

If you are going to be attending the Mountain Fiesta and going on the difficult 4x4 run, then you will want to wait to go get these since we will hit them during the run.

RocketMan

New to geocaching but not to Colorado. Lived in the state from 1963 until 1998, 2 year exile to Arizona, returned from 2000 to 2007. We will be returning to Colorado after a two year run in the Oklahoma Panhandle and never intend to leave again. Looking forward to exploring Northeastern Colorado and Front Range geocaches.

Edited by countrydirt

New to geocaching but not to Colorado. Lived in the state from 1963 until 1998, 2 year exile to Arizona, returned from 2000 to 2007. We will be returning to Colorado after a two year run in the Oklahoma Panhandle and never intend to leave again. Looking forward to exploring Northeastern Colorado and Front Range geocaches.

Glad to have you back in Colorful Colorado!

There are plenty of events for the summer. Hopefully you will be able to attend a few and greet other cachers.

Got a couple DNF's today, but the hike was worth it without the smiley's.

c497361a-8fe2-440a-8432-07e18ac05c6d.jpg

At the summit:

165dbbbb-6e80-453b-8516-b0a231fbdcc1.jpg

It is June, right?

f37826c3-c0f1-40eb-b57d-eb98b258f987.jpg

Way to go Chris.

BTW: Is there a road up there for the Jeeps?

Gosh, am I gonna have to bring snow tires? Can't believe all the snow still. Getting more and more excited for our trip! Even picked up a few trinkets for the event.

Robyn :)

Way to go Chris.

BTW: Is there a road up there for the Jeeps?

Thanks RM, it sure was great to knock off my first 14er. The trail is on the map as a "road" according to Garmin. The road from I-70 to trailhead is jeep-worthy, but I did manage to drive it with my Focus - it's a good thing I installed those front lockers and 1" spacers...... :)

Nice photos! Did you happen to make it to the other half of Grazentorreys?

With respect to that "road", it was never much more than a horse trail for tourists. I'm told though that Grays has been successfully climbed by jeep.

We didn't make it to Torreys - We got to the summit of Grays just before noon, and was met shortly after by a thunderstorm. Sleet and rain made the descent a little slick, and we really didn't feel like going uphill during the storm.

Torrey's will wait for another day.......

We didn't make it to Torreys - We got to the summit of Grays just before noon, and was met shortly after by a thunderstorm. Sleet and rain made the descent a little slick, and we really didn't feel like going uphill during the storm.

Ah yes. It wouldn't be climbing in Colorado without the noontime thunderstorm. I sure do miss it... :)

(But, nevertheless, I enjoy the vicarious experience. Keep it up!)

Thanks to Joe Friday, we already have an official name and theme for the 2009 event:

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

We are very early in the planning stages for the event so there are no details yet, but it is likely that the event will be at a camping area with optional camping as before. There will be a Moderate and a Difficult 4x4 run again and we are also considering having an Easy run this time.

If you have not attended the Mountain 4x4 event before and you want to see what it is all about, you can check out last years event for more information. And check out the photo gallery here.

RocketMan

The event will be held in the Buena Vista area this year. The event page has been posted here.

#14 Chinaman Gulch

1. Air Down

2. Rock Garden

3. Rock Pile

4. Whales Tail

5. The Stairs

6. The Chutes

7. Got View ?

If you are going to be attending the Mountain Fiesta and going on the difficult 4x4 run, then you will want to wait to go get these since we will hit them during the run.

RocketMan

Event Updates 7/19:

- The menu has been added to the cache page.

- The raffle item list has been updated on the cache page.

- The moderate group will be doing the Tincup Pass trail.

Stats so far:

Number of People attending: 82

Number of vehicles on Moderate Trail: 18

Number of vehicles on Difficult Trail: 15

Number of States Represented: 6

The event is coming together nicely. Stay tuned for future updates, including final meeting plans for the trail runs.

Thanks,

RocketMan

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

RocketMan

#14 Chinaman Gulch

1. Air Down

2. Rock Garden

3. Rock Pile

4. Whales Tail

5. The Stairs

6. The Chutes

7. Got View ?

RocketMan

Event Updates 7/19:

- The menu has been added to the cache page.

- The raffle item list has been updated on the cache page.

- The moderate group will be doing the Tincup Pass trail.

Stats so far:

Number of People attending: 82

Number of vehicles on Moderate Trail: 18

Number of vehicles on Difficult Trail: 15

Number of States Represented: 6

The event is coming together nicely. Stay tuned for future updates, including final meeting plans for the trail runs.

Thanks,

RocketMan

More Event Updates 7/28:

- Event shirts are available to everyone this year and will be sold at cost (order before 8/3). Please see event page for pictures and ordering details.

- Complete trail plans and meeting plans have been added to the event page. Please make sure you check it out.

- The will be porta potties at the event site the day of the event (Saturday).

- Tune your FRS radio to channel 2 for the 4x4 run. If you have CB, tune it to channel 20.

Thanks,

RocketMan

The 4x4 event is just over a week away now and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Please note:

- If you plan to attend but have not posted a will attend yet, please do so by this weekend (8/1 to 8/2) so we can give accurate numbers to the caterer and so we know how many vehicles will be on the different runs. Also, if your head count has changed, please let me know.

- This weekend (8/1 to 8/2) is the last chance to order shirts and get them at the event. If you want shirts, please contact Joe Friday. See event page for details.

- Reminder: Make sure you read over the trail/meeting plans on the event page which have recently been added.

- If you plan to camp at the event site, you should get there early on Friday (or prior to Friday) to make sure you get a spot.

- Don't forget to bring chairs for the event and for lunch while on the trail.

See you in Buena Vista!

Dave (RocketMan)

Paid a visit to the summit of Mt. Lady Washington today. Wonderful views, except that big, un-named rock behind me.

084e00fb-badf-4181-abf6-b3f522314ae7.jpg

Let's call that rock......Chris.

Oooohhhhh....I like it! Yeah, let's do that! Good thinkin'!

Never quite realized it, but that's a rather nice perspective of that, umm, "un-named rock"...

It's named now. As per zoltig, it shall be referred to as "Chris" from now on!

It's named now. As per zoltig, it shall be referred to as "Chris" from now on!

Someone must be back from Longs Peak. Did you make it all the way up there?

We made it to the keyhole, but had to turn around because of ice and slick conditions at the narrows. The homestretch was also ice-packed. The temp dipped below 30 degrees when we were there, and the wind was just nasty.

97e704f0-6438-45ee-a645-60fa80e0d677.jpg

After descending, I went over the Chasm Lake (much warmer!) and took a nap for a few hours, then snapped a few pictures.

d6f6c071-478b-4ddc-817b-c6e08c69843a.jpg

6e7f3ac3-b973-4128-8a63-190cbea8c740.jpg

I'm working on a 2nd attempt in the next week or two. Hopefully I can get back up there in 2009!

Are you really up to doing the narrows? I don't have a big problem with shelf roads, but I don't think you will ever find me on the narrows of Longs Peak.
Hey Dave...You worry too much. The Narrows are a lot less scary close up...

And once you are past The Narrows, the Home Stretch is easy-peasy...

(I can't believe how busy the mountain was that day...kind of looks like those old photos of the cheechakos climbing Chilkoot Pass back in 1898...)

img070.jpg

San Juans, here we come!

Team Red Rubicon will be in the area next week!

Yes we will!

Have an awesome time, TRR! You will enjoy, no doubt. Looking forward to the pictures!

Robyn left my heart in Colorado Reid :)

Team Red Rubicon is in Ouray. HOORAY!!

HOORAY, WOOOHOOO !!! :ph34r::)

Oh........wait a sec.........we're NOT there! :)

However, we're with all of you in spirit ! (it's not the same)

Fun Times you guys!

The Splashes :rolleyes::D

San Juans, here we come!

Team Red Rubicon will be in the area next week!

Yes we will!

Have an awesome time, TRR! You will enjoy, no doubt. Looking forward to the pictures!

Robyn left my heart in Colorado Reid :blink:

Team Red Rubicon is in Ouray. HOORAY!!

HOORAY, WOOOHOOO !!! B)B)

Oh........wait a sec.........we're NOT there! :D

However, we're with all of you in spirit ! (it's not the same)

Fun Times you guys!

The Splashes :D:huh:

Very good run today!

We aired down at 8:30 at the trailhead then ran Black Bear. Some fantastic views in this area for sure.

Down the backside of BB into Telluride the up Imogene. Got a bit of rain/hail on some of this trail but nothing that slowed us down.

Not too many people on the trails.

Found a few caches as well.

Our plan was to get to the end of Imogene then head up to Yankee Boy but time wasn't going to allow that so we headed back into Ouray for a quick R&C then off to dinner with the gang.

If you are nice to us, we will post some pictures. :D

Hi there -

My wife (PEZPrincess) and I will be out in the Littleton, Colorado area this upcoming weekend (September 18th-20th) for a wedding. I will be bringing some bugs from Georgia to drop off. Won't have a lot of time to cache, but looking to get a cache or two big enough to drop off and pick up some travel bugs too. Any suggestions would be great! I welcome the opportunity to meet up with fellow geocachers as well!

Thanks!

-TeamPEZ (corey)

Marietta, GA

Hey all, Just thought I'd post here to see if anyone is interested. I am going to be heading to Australia (sydney) in about 10 weeks. If anyone has any travel bugs or geocoins they would like to see travel (to leave there or visit and return) let me know. I'm not opposed to receiving them in the mail, but if hand to hand is an option (I live in northglenn), there's nothing wrong with lunch or a cache!