The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

New from Colorado here. I'm not a jeeper... used to have an '80 Toyota 4x4 but that was more than 20 years ago. Now my wife has a Honda Ridgeline, and if I ever took it anyplace remotely like those photos, first she'd divorce me, then she'd kill me. And my Accord Coupe isn't going anyplace much off road. Not much of a hiker any more either... age (62) got to my knees and several years of kayaking got my back before that.

But I thought I'd just say I'm here anyway, and just offering to help the activity in this thread. I'm new to the sport (still haven't even got one find :( ), so I have a lot of catching up to do, as well as a lot of learning. I'm looking forward to getting out this summer and finding some of the friendlier mountain caches, and having some fun with it. Maybe I'll run into some of you out there somewhere.

New from Colorado here. I'm not a jeeper... used to have an '80 Toyota 4x4 but that was more than 20 years ago. Now my wife has a Honda Ridgeline, and if I ever took it anyplace remotely like those photos, first she'd divorce me, then she'd kill me. And my Accord Coupe isn't going anyplace much off road. Not much of a hiker any more either... age (62) got to my knees and several years of kayaking got my back before that.

But I thought I'd just say I'm here anyway, and just offering to help the activity in this thread. I'm new to the sport (still haven't even got one find :laughing: ), so I have a lot of catching up to do, as well as a lot of learning. I'm looking forward to getting out this summer and finding some of the friendlier mountain caches, and having some fun with it. Maybe I'll run into some of you out there somewhere.

Well Welcome! We're glad to have you post, and to geocaching in Colorado. We don't have a Jeep either, but as long as my knees hold up I'll go take a hike instead! Where in Colorado are you? I've been doing some hiking this year already and have plans to go see Colorado from a higher altitude. Always looking for hiking buddies.

Gosh, I almost had to go to page 2 to find the Colorado Thread! I miss all of the cool pictures. Took me about 2 seconds to realize why we haven't seen any. Duh! That funny white stuff must be interfering! Would still love to see some pictures from beautiful Colorado!

Robyn :unsure:

The problem lies with the number of active participants in this thread. I can count them all on one hand... Here are some pics taken over 14k feet from a few weeks ago:

d5ad3445-7541-4c72-b6f3-45d123d2e584.jpg

~see ya at the 2009 Mountain Fiesta and 4x4 Caching Adventure!

Cool pics! You all live in some of the prettiest country... don't know if I could handle all of that white stuff, though! I know the hubby couldn't! That's all he's talked about, though, since we got back from the 2008 Mountain Luau - retiring in Colorado. Looking forward to exploring more of your wonderful state in 2009!

Robyn :ph34r:

P.S. Does your pup extreme hike with you? He sure was a bundle of energy and fun to be with!

Yes, Moose can handle most class 3 scrambles without assistance... He was with me on the peak pictured above. Following, he is pictured with some mountain goats :laughing:

147d76c9-a1cb-4477-be9c-4ac8d4589119.jpg

...and towards the end of that same hike, with his Ruffwear gear!

425368d8-0165-46bb-9648-5b26eb4fa9c5.jpg

Got a little Captain in you?!

c3323c32-5b31-4fc1-a1cf-278b706e20be.jpg

But I thought I'd just say I'm here anyway, and just offering to help the activity in this thread. I'm new to the sport (still haven't even got one find :unsure: ), so I have a lot of catching up to do, as well as a lot of learning. I'm looking forward to getting out this summer and finding some of the friendlier mountain caches, and having some fun with it. Maybe I'll run into some of you out there somewhere.

Well Welcome! We're glad to have you post, and to geocaching in Colorado. We don't have a Jeep either, but as long as my knees hold up I'll go take a hike instead! Where in Colorado are you? I've been doing some hiking this year already and have plans to go see Colorado from a higher altitude. Always looking for hiking buddies.

We're in Littleton, near Southwest Plaza. I was shocked when my wife suggested looking into caching as an excuse to get us out of the house. I actually joined this forum about a year ago, but never followed up on it. Now I'm hoping I can keep her interested. Maybe the social aspect doing some less difficult caches with other people will help with that. I would certainly love to get together with others, both for the camaraderie and for the learning experience. I'm still learning how to use my GPS at the moment... just got it yesterday. :laughing:

But I thought I'd just say I'm here anyway, and just offering to help the activity in this thread. I'm new to the sport (still haven't even got one find :unsure: ), so I have a lot of catching up to do, as well as a lot of learning. I'm looking forward to getting out this summer and finding some of the friendlier mountain caches, and having some fun with it. Maybe I'll run into some of you out there somewhere.

We're in Littleton, near Southwest Plaza. I was shocked when my wife suggested looking into caching as an excuse to get us out of the house. I actually joined this forum about a year ago, but never followed up on it. Now I'm hoping I can keep her interested. Maybe the social aspect doing some less difficult caches with other people will help with that. I would certainly love to get together with others, both for the camaraderie and for the learning experience. I'm still learning how to use my GPS at the moment... just got it yesterday. :laughing:

If you're looking at geocaching from the social aspect, make sure you check out some of the local events. There are plenty of cachers that go to these, all with varying levels of GPS education, age, condition, and reasons to cache. You will find plenty of answers to your GPS questions there, as long as you're willing to ask them! There are usually a few GPS training events too.

Hopefully we'll be able to make it to the GeoChat. If we're there, make sure to make an introduction. :ph34r:

Whoo Hoo! Justified and I are moving back to Colorado! (The Midwest has far too many ticks) Looking forward to caching with everyone, and doing a preemptive search for hiking/caching buddies for while he is at work.

Looking forward to seeing folks at some of the local events, too. Till March, keep on caching!

Whoo Hoo! Justified and I are moving back to Colorado! (The Midwest has far too many ticks) Looking forward to caching with everyone, and doing a preemptive search for hiking/caching buddies for while he is at work.

Looking forward to seeing folks at some of the local events, too. Till March, keep on caching!

Good to see you coming back this way, Thystle! Where abouts are you and Justified going to call home?

Gosh, I almost had to go to page 2 to find the Colorado Thread! I miss all of the cool pictures. Took me about 2 seconds to realize why we haven't seen any. Duh! That funny white stuff must be interfering! Would still love to see some pictures from beautiful Colorado!

Robyn :blink:

The problem lies with the number of active participants in this thread. I can count them all on one hand... Here are some pics taken over 14k feet from a few weeks ago:

d5ad3445-7541-4c72-b6f3-45d123d2e584.jpg

~see ya at the 2009 Mountain Fiesta and 4x4 Caching Adventure!

Cool pics! You all live in some of the prettiest country... don't know if I could handle all of that white stuff, though! I know the hubby couldn't! That's all he's talked about, though, since we got back from the 2008 Mountain Luau - retiring in Colorado. Looking forward to exploring more of your wonderful state in 2009!

Robyn :D

P.S. Does your pup extreme hike with you? He sure was a bundle of energy and fun to be with!

Yes, Moose can handle most class 3 scrambles without assistance... He was with me on the peak pictured above. Following, he is pictured with some mountain goats :laughing:

147d76c9-a1cb-4477-be9c-4ac8d4589119.jpg

...and towards the end of that same hike, with his Ruffwear gear!

425368d8-0165-46bb-9648-5b26eb4fa9c5.jpg

Got a little Captain in you?!

c3323c32-5b31-4fc1-a1cf-278b706e20be.jpg

Wow, those are awesome pics, climbstuff. Moose looks like he enjoys himself. Look at that smile!

We have our Colorado planning dinner this Tuesday. Looking forward to the Mountain Fiesta!

Robyn

I have a geocache or 3 I would like someone to adopt. The main one I would like to have adopted is on Corkscrew Gulch in the San Juan Mountains.

We are having to move out of state, and to be honest cant get to the cache to take it with us. If you are interested in adopting this one or even the 3 caches we have placed, please contact me.

Hello every one!! Im new to this thread for Colorado, I usually ferquent the coin forums, Just Thought Id say HI, Im attending my first event here in a few hrs ,,a meet and greet. hope some of you can make it to meet! :yikes:

Welcome to the Colorado Thread DJ.J.ROCK. I didn't make the event, but maybe I'll get to meet you at a future event. Are you going to attend the Geo Chat event next weekend? If so, I'll see you there and make sure you stop by to have an event badge made. You can find me at the badge table.

I have a geocache or 3 I would like someone to adopt. The main one I would like to have adopted is on Corkscrew Gulch in the San Juan Mountains.

We are having to move out of state, and to be honest cant get to the cache to take it with us. If you are interested in adopting this one or even the 3 caches we have placed, please contact me.

I would hate to see the cache in the San Juan's get archived as they currently are not allowing any new geocahes there. I would adopt the cache, but it's too far away for me to maintain it. You may want to post your note over on the GCCO forums also. A few more Colorado folks will see it there.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and your caches are all outside the San Juan National Forest.

Edited by RocketMan
Hello every one!! Im new to this thread for Colorado, I usually ferquent the coin forums, Just Thought Id say HI, Im attending my first event here in a few hrs ,,a meet and greet. hope some of you can make it to meet! :)

Welcome to the Colorado Thread DJ.J.ROCK. I didn't make the event, but maybe I'll get to meet you at a future event. Are you going to attend the Geo Chat event next weekend? If so, I'll see you there and make sure you stop by to have an event badge made. You can find me at the badge table.

:unsure:

Rocketman, that's ok,there will be many events,im gonna try to make it,but it really depends on where its at, there was a lot of talk about it as I met joefriday,and scavok,and a few others,it was a nice small croud, I like to meet peps at a slower pace anyway that way I don't forget names,,im horrible with names,so on that note,ill be sure to stop by and get a badge,as I was a lil lost at this first event,dident know to sign in and I dunno where the raffle tickets came from?? Soon as I got there the coin talk started,,lol . I did get to see willie the tb , he was very cool,and made a trade or two. Any advice for the next event would be great,as far as what to do when you get there and what is a geochat? I herd joefriday is president? What does that mean? Thanks for the welcome!

I'm new to the thread but it looks like a great place to meet fellow cachers from Colorado and also stay in the know about events and great caches to find in our beautiful state. I will be attending Colorado Geo Chat 2009 here in Denver this coming weekend. I hope to see some of you there.

I hope to be there too, helping out RocketMan with badges. Look for the guy wearing the 'runs with scissors' T-Shirt. :unsure:

[

I would hate to see the cache in the San Juan's get archived as they currently are not allowing any new geocahes there. I would adopt the cache, but it's too far away for me to maintain it. You may want to post your note over on the GCCO forums also. A few more Colorado folks will see it there.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and your caches are all outside the San Juan National Forest.

Yeah the main one I would like to have adopted is outside of the Forest, thank goodness, but its in such a great spot, I would hate to have it archived. Thanks for the advice about the Geocachingcolo site. I will go there and see if someone would help me out.

I'm new to the thread but it looks like a great place to meet fellow cachers from Colorado and also stay in the know about events and great caches to find in our beautiful state. I will be attending Colorado Geo Chat 2009 here in Denver this coming weekend. I hope to see some of you there.

I hope to be there too, helping out RocketMan with badges. Look for the guy wearing the 'runs with scissors' T-Shirt. :D

is the event a meeting?? i have a almost 2yr old, she dosent stay quiet for long,, is this an event we should attend, as i would hate for her to disrupt it.

Awesome event!!! next major event gonna leave the coin board at home so i can venture around more :o

Ill take the coins to the smaller events. Thx for the Badge Rocketman, they are good looking badges.

cheers to geocaching Colorado for the record breaking attendies,and for a cool get togeather.

OK Team Red Rubicon... We know you have cool pictures from recent trips to China Wall and Moab. Out with them or we will take your red jeeps away from you!!! :blink:

Yeah, I've been waiting patiently :P , not!

Robyn

Ahemmm, yes, the Splashes are waiting, waiting........................

Thanks for the nice phone call while on your way home, it worked, we were insanely jealous!

Keith? ~ Jenn?~ Dave?~

The Splashes :unsure::)

OK Team Red Rubicon... We know you have cool pictures from recent trips to China Wall and Moab. Out with them or we will take your red jeeps away from you!!! :unsure:

OK, here are a few before we head off to Italy:

China Wall Trip

climbstuff Over a Rock Pile

5922fcb0-8bd7-434a-a4e9-9508b411d8e2.jpg

RocketMan Up China Wall

55744834-6172-4b4c-9324-68d84bf019c1.jpg

climbstuff stuck - n0wae Jacking, climbstuff stacking and RocketMan Directing

0491a0c0-6247-478b-a6fb-86e0914b2cf3.jpg

n0wae Over the Rock Pile

ba02d683-aa24-41fc-9ea2-e91c9505a198.jpg

climbstuff flying

230583c7-5d14-4e61-8a05-e4162d303579.jpg

taylorsgeotracker Down Rocky Hill

6b8a5ffe-d69b-485b-bac6-53781b1899b2.jpg

n0wae Down Rocky Hill

a999e1d3-041c-4138-ad29-31520e17e7c3.jpg

Sheep

40fc2989-d6bf-45d3-9fbd-20d1bfb53a11.jpg

At The Buck Snort

6c81b2a9-2c19-4197-b440-a0e69ddfd908.jpg

At The Buck Snort 2

af4ebd00-ff67-4612-b04e-f79f0526d012.jpg

Moab Trip

Top of the World Trail:

RocketMan's Jeep at TOW

de814507-7f7f-4c90-ac72-96ae6507a955.jpg

The View (NOT) at TOW

860ad59d-2406-428c-aa74-546f81051907.jpg

Behind the Rocks Trail:

Red Ruby Heading for Guardian Hill

b758aa0b-53e4-4596-b0f2-ba6d5c60f9df.jpg

RocketMan on Guardian Hill

2e8500cd-eec7-4bc3-b2a7-ad357f6139c1.jpg

jpit in the air

f0e3e3b2-a9e3-4bd8-a862-407da143b3f4.jpg

jpit on Up Chuck - Planting His Spare Tire into the Ground

0003a71b-561f-419f-963c-92fb25ddfd8a.jpg

zoltig Down the Roller Coaster

f9f43c57-d90e-427b-a953-0dbb945e4112.jpg

Mountain Roamer up a Tippy Shelf

1a02f803-925b-4252-8e99-e60f08aac384.jpg

Moab Trip

Steel Bender Trail:

jpit Stuck

d317f53c-480a-4f9b-a2cd-391136d4dbbf.jpg

The Wall

6037fb7f-a14f-4707-a062-f07d67c93cf4.jpg

Red Ruby Approaching the Wall

681f9499-e3f3-4b8e-8e4f-6909fb808964.jpg

Red Ruby Up the Wall

c36510e2-d732-4e8d-9fc1-3001170036ac.jpg

jpit on the Wall - In the Air Again

4cdfc707-e885-4ce5-be34-bc2adb581493.jpg

Lunch Stop View

c91cae2b-6191-43bb-a7f3-7541c767929a.jpg

RocketMan on the Fall

40f72d91-8028-478d-a72a-f8233e050b4f.jpg

Peanut Gallery at the Fall

b2af4150-27da-4cbe-9ee6-ee117dd00c02.jpg

zoltig Getting Air

7c47d0b5-5501-4f64-930f-46d6a17317fc.jpg

Canyon View Near the End of the Trail

d612fb0f-ac00-4b72-a95c-8e04218c7173.jpg

Good to see you coming back this way, Thystle! Where abouts are you and Justified going to call home?

Larkspur. Been here a week now, and this is 4th snowstorm. When we left Misery it was 70 degrees.

But you know what? We have cached for 4 days in a row and NOT A SINGLE TICK! Yay!!! Already did some 4x4 on Mt Herman Rd in the snow and had a blast. Can't wait for more! And some events to hang out with the kewell Colorado folks, too, of course!

I'm Colorado's newest member!

So... let's chat huh?

EDIT: I dont have to have a Jeep to be a part of the family, right? :huh:

You don't need a Jeep, I've got my two legs and they'll take me many places a Jeep won't!

Round Mountain:

52d597f0-62f7-4be9-ba94-97e540ff848b.jpg

Twin Sisters:

35d5b47e-77da-4cb8-b473-ebdcae3afe33.jpg

63d27908-a4d7-42cc-86e5-9e619ad33364.jpg

Crosier Mountain:

08e35ec8-825c-4226-b08c-88c0697a3cb3.jpg

Devil's Backbone:

76a235c3-9fc7-41e1-9e9e-9cd83dfa13e1.jpg

Mt. Audubon:

f91ad5cc-03ae-4cdb-bd1e-2618ac8a9fe4.jpg

.....but a Jeep sure would be a good accessory for my hiking......... :laughing:

Edited by Team Laxson

Amazing what a few days can do. On Wednesday I went back up Twin Sisters, well, 'cuz I could. 70 degrees and sunny along the front range, and snow in the mountains.

On the way up:

ca0b658e-2b88-4c7e-bde8-25054e58eab9.jpg

At the summit:

4d727466-1ea4-40eb-b594-c8ae66ebac89.jpg

On my way back down, I took one wrong step:

bb404e93-b03d-4972-8384-7790446b671b.jpg

Now today, it's snowing up and down the front range!

Amazing what a few days can do. On Wednesday I went back up Twin Sisters, well, 'cuz I could. 70 degrees and sunny along the front range, and snow in the mountains.

On the way up:

ca0b658e-2b88-4c7e-bde8-25054e58eab9.jpg

At the summit:

4d727466-1ea4-40eb-b594-c8ae66ebac89.jpg

On my way back down, I took one wrong step:

bb404e93-b03d-4972-8384-7790446b671b.jpg

Now today, it's snowing up and down the front range!

Ok, you've talked me into it. We're moving to Colorado!!! I'll give up my 95` weather to enjoy your beautiful state! Love the pics, y'all. How beautiful.

Robyn of Team oh so jealous Reid

Apparently, the anniversary of Columbine is not a good day to go caching near schools...

A friend of mine from Boulder sent the following (name changed to protect the guilty...)

Here's the story. Fairview High (where Chris is a senior!) was locked down and then evacuated today. Since it was senior ditch day (and Chris managed to sneak out just as it was being locked down) the impact wasn't as great for him as it was for some. Apparently multiple people observed a couple (too old to be high schoolers) stop their car (with out-of-state plates) in front of the school. They were seen with a suspicious package in their car which then appeared to be left behind in a hidden spot. When questioned, they simply said "It's a great day" and left the scene.

The police were called.

This heightened the alertness for those responsible for the safety of the students and in this heightened alert state, three unidentified backpacks were spotted is various places on campus. These were apparently X-rayed and two were cleared as containing only school supplies. The contents of the third was not recognizable as school supplies (nor anything else, apparently). It was blown up.

It was later determined the suspicious couple were an elderly couple from Nebraska. The suspicious package was a geocache that had been placed by some Fairview teachers a few years back under a rock next to the Fairview sign on the front lawn...

The cache appears to be GC1240D A Knight's View. And there's an article in the Daily Camera...

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/apr/2...ents-dismissed/

Hi All!

I had the misfortune of moving away from Colorado a few years ago but I am coming for a visit May 12-20th. I will be in the Denver area for a few days and then Loveland/Ft Collins. Wondering if anyone might want to cache with me a bit. I wasn't into caching when I lived there so I am really looking forward to caching in CO. Living in flat Florida I have lost a lot of my abilty to hike the way Colorado should be hiked so I am sure I will miss out on some of the great ones :unsure:

Jenn

Blackfishorca

Hi All!

I had the misfortune of moving away from Colorado a few years ago but I am coming for a visit May 12-20th. I will be in the Denver area for a few days and then Loveland/Ft Collins. Wondering if anyone might want to cache with me a bit. I wasn't into caching when I lived there so I am really looking forward to caching in CO. Living in flat Florida I have lost a lot of my abilty to hike the way Colorado should be hiked so I am sure I will miss out on some of the great ones :)

Jenn

Blackfishorca

Not sure what my schedule will look like around then, but I should be able to find time and go cachin' with ya. Send me an e-mail and we'll work out the details.

I live between Denver and Loveland, so you'll be right in my neck of the woods. Even without hiking, there are still plenty of caches to go find.

How do you feel about swimming?

bf95d967-37bc-4a71-a7b0-f5794b22a5bd.jpg

Chris: You're sure making me home sick with all of those beautiful shots. One never knows how nice CO is until you have to leave it. Actually I'm starting to grow fond of Saguaros, and all their spiny friends.

Doing a Geocaching Class for the local parks in May and also have made it into event. Someday I'll be back but until then enjoy those mountains for me.

2009 Mountain 4x4 Event - Mark Your Calendars

Thanks to Joe Friday, we already have an official name and theme for the 2009 event:

Mountain Fiesta and 4x4 Caching Adventure

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

We are very early in the planning stages for the event so there are no details yet, but it is likely that the event will be at a camping area with optional camping as before. There will be a Moderate and a Difficult 4x4 run again and we are also considering having an Easy run this time.

If you have not attended the Mountain 4x4 event before and you want to see what it is all about, you can check out last years event for more information. And check out the photo gallery here.

RocketMan

The event will be held in the Buena Vista area this year. The event page has been posted here.

Edited by RocketMan

Yes that story made the headlines throughout Colorado. One should read the guidelines, It talks about caches close to high profile buildings. Even with premission. Bad vibes that day. Happy Caching All

Apparently, the anniversary of Columbine is not a good day to go caching near schools...

A friend of mine from Boulder sent the following (name changed to protect the guilty...)

Here's the story. Fairview High (where Chris is a senior!) was locked down and then evacuated today. Since it was senior ditch day (and Chris managed to sneak out just as it was being locked down) the impact wasn't as great for him as it was for some. Apparently multiple people observed a couple (too old to be high schoolers) stop their car (with out-of-state plates) in front of the school. They were seen with a suspicious package in their car which then appeared to be left behind in a hidden spot. When questioned, they simply said "It's a great day" and left the scene.

The police were called.

This heightened the alertness for those responsible for the safety of the students and in this heightened alert state, three unidentified backpacks were spotted is various places on campus. These were apparently X-rayed and two were cleared as containing only school supplies. The contents of the third was not recognizable as school supplies (nor anything else, apparently). It was blown up.

It was later determined the suspicious couple were an elderly couple from Nebraska. The suspicious package was a geocache that had been placed by some Fairview teachers a few years back under a rock next to the Fairview sign on the front lawn...

The cache appears to be GC1240D A Knight's View. And there's an article in the Daily Camera...

Yes that story made the headlines throughout Colorado. One should read the guidelines, It talks about caches close to high profile buildings. Even with premission. Bad vibes that day. Happy Caching All

The police were called.