The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

New CO, and still pretty new to Cachein,

Looks like you do some pretty nice trips. well be keeping up on whats going and hope to meet some of you soon.

See you trail side,

Michael

Good to have you on board, Michael!

For more Colorado information, look here.

And for more Colorado banter, here is the forums link.

b6fb23bb-e89f-40ec-9976-721f6565cade.jpg

Keep a sharp eye out for events that are listed. The one in this picture is from the second annual 4x4 event.

Last year after almost flipping my Jeep, I said I would never do Winding Stairs Trail again. I don't know what I was thinking, but after a certain Team Red Rubicon member wanted to do the trail I figured, why not. We had Mountain Roamer, Red Ruby, zoltig, taylorsgeotracker, climbstuff, jpit and myself on the run yesterday. Now there are several other people who won't ever do Winding Stairs Trail again. Here are a few photos:

Mountain Roamer in the Trickle (the baby crack)

22fca5ec-1fa7-49cf-8f8a-3600ab692e65.jpg

Red Ruby on one Wheel

2370c668-a263-452e-9c7b-1695ef28ce73.jpg

taylorsgeotracker Stuck in a Big Crack

79a808ca-dee0-4f15-b4d2-02f5a764dd9f.jpg

Yes That is a Jeep Roof Behind those Trees

9caadd93-0e54-4a5f-ac06-3e389d816792.jpg

Last year after almost flipping my Jeep, I said I would never do Winding Stairs Trail again. I don't know what I was thinking, but after a certain Team Red Rubicon member wanted to do the trail I figured, why not. We had Mountain Roamer, Red Ruby, zoltig, taylorsgeotracker, climbstuff, jpit and myself on the run yesterday. Now there are several other people who won't ever do Winding Stairs Trail again. Here are a few photos:

Mountain Roamer in the Trickle (the baby crack)

22fca5ec-1fa7-49cf-8f8a-3600ab692e65.jpg

Red Ruby on one Wheel

taylorsgeotracker Stuck in a Big Crack

79a808ca-dee0-4f15-b4d2-02f5a764dd9f.jpg

Yes That is a Jeep Roof Behind those Trees

9caadd93-0e54-4a5f-ac06-3e389d816792.jpg

Hey Team Red Rubicon-

You can keep this off of next year's luau run! Holy cow! I wanna know what happened to the Jeep in the last picture! What an "E" ticket ride I bet that was.

Robyn :anicute:

11/18/07:

zoltig doing a "little" wheel stand:

d1f0819d-46c9-405b-bcf6-1805e4c06509.jpg

10.19.08:

Red Ruby on one Wheel

Well, at least TRR is consistant! :laughing:

Yeah, but zoltig only has one wheel off the ground. Red Ruby had to show him up.

I know we won't be doing that trail next year..............theres' NO rocks! :D:):D

I'm sure Jenn had everything under control :)

Splashette :anibad:

Nice shots Chris. Congrats on making it up there. And you did it in two wheel drive.

Thanks RocketMan!

I received an e-mail this morning from someone who recognized Longs Peak from the picture, and let me know it made the gallery! :blink:

56a0faf4-f2e7-4513-8a13-5ed2d361be96.jpg

....sweet.....!

Glad to see you made the banner. Nice

Someone of your notoriety should probably run for a high position within the local geocaching organization. :anicute:

Nice shots Chris. Congrats on making it up there. And you did it in two wheel drive.

Thanks RocketMan!

I received an e-mail this morning from someone who recognized Longs Peak from the picture, and let me know it made the gallery! :anicute:

....sweet.....!

Congrats, Chris! Those are indeed nice shots and a job well done!

It is crazy that those pictures are in the exact same spot if you look at the two trees on the left it is identical! but Red Ruby's is cooler! Especially from the back! :(

I was getting ready to mention that myself... that particular section must be perilous! It sucked you in as well, notice your own picture with a familiar aspen trunk in the upper left corner.

It was most likely the tree on the 'drivers-left' side of the trail that caused you 'inexperienced-drivers' to error right and slip into the crevace... :ninja:

Thanks RocketMan!

I received an e-mail this morning from someone who recognized Longs Peak from the picture, and let me know it made the gallery! :ninja:

....sweet.....!

Glad to see you made the banner. Nice

Someone of your notoriety should probably run for a high position within the local geocaching organization. :(

c9689429-1dfb-48ef-a80c-760ca1d489c2.jpg

2009 Mountain 4x4 Event - Mark Your Calendars

Thanks to Joe Friday, we already have an official name and theme for the 2009 event:

Mountain Fiesta and 4x4 Caching Adventure

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

We are very early in the planning stages for the event so there are no details yet, but it is likely that the event will be at a camping area with optional camping as before. There will be a Moderate and a Difficult 4x4 run again and we are also considering having an Easy run this time.

If you have not attended the Mountain 4x4 event before and you want to see what it is all about, you can check out last years event for more information. And check out the photo gallery here.

RocketMan

Thanks to Joe Friday, we already have an official name and theme for the 2009 event:

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

We are very early in the planning stages for the event so there are no details yet, but it is likely that the event will be at a camping area with optional camping as before. There will be a Moderate and a Difficult 4x4 run again and we are also considering having an Easy run this time.

If you have not attended the Mountain 4x4 event before and you want to see what it is all about, you can check out last years event for more information. And check out the photo gallery here.

RocketMan

:DALL RIGHHHHTTT! :laughing:

Team Red Rubicon had an adventure this weekend to the top of "Nugget Hill" via the dreaded Rowena route that has a 4WD obstacle called "The Rock". (Not for the faint of heart!) All went well and the team enjoyed lunch on the top of Nugget Hill and explored interesting mine ruins in the area. Hopefully other members will share some more pictures. After the run we all had dinner at the Mill Site Inn. Rocketman picked up the tab! :) (Thank you!)

Nugget Hill Trail:

4a2b11db-c25b-48cd-8bcb-60c302adbcb5.jpg

Team Red Rubicon above "The Rock"

f2f486ad-64ef-4962-b8db-453c2f8bc746.jpg

n0wae & Zoltig on "The Rock" 4WD obsticle:

2c5fc9e5-8850-4b4b-af58-a29939171c92.jpg

An interesting mine door at a mine site:

3e62d2b8-1ba0-433d-b163-ba019508687e.jpg

Gosh, I almost had to go to page 2 to find the Colorado Thread! I miss all of the cool pictures. Took me about 2 seconds to realize why we haven't seen any. Duh! That funny white stuff must be interfering! Would still love to see some pictures from beautiful Colorado!

Robyn :P

The problem lies with the number of active participants in this thread. I can count them all on one hand... Here are some pics taken over 14k feet from a few weeks ago:

d5ad3445-7541-4c72-b6f3-45d123d2e584.jpg

d126ae56-da94-479f-9177-01450ed584bd.jpg

39ddaa9c-8ae1-4e4c-a71b-fd93ad0d2baf.jpg

~see ya at the 2009 Mountain Fiesta and 4x4 Caching Adventure!

Gosh, I almost had to go to page 2 to find the Colorado Thread! I miss all of the cool pictures. Took me about 2 seconds to realize why we haven't seen any. Duh! That funny white stuff must be interfering! Would still love to see some pictures from beautiful Colorado!

Robyn :D

The problem lies with the number of active participants in this thread. I can count them all on one hand... Here are some pics taken over 14k feet from a few weeks ago:

< snip! >

Nice pics! I only went up to 9,250; looking forward to 14k (but not until springs for me)

Pics from Crosier:

6ddf619d-2558-4418-ba92-71ac57d8f99c.jpg

08e35ec8-825c-4226-b08c-88c0697a3cb3.jpg

e72b7ae6-c43a-4bb7-a16b-feb70208b00b.jpg

Cool pics! You all live in some of the prettiest country... don't know if I could handle all of that white stuff, though! I know the hubby couldn't! That's all he's talked about, though, since we got back from the 2008 Mountain Luau - retiring in Colorado. Looking forward to exploring more of your wonderful state in 2009!

Robyn :)

P.S. Does your pup extreme hike with you? He sure was a bundle of energy and fun to be with!

Robyn :)

Cool pics! You all live in some of the prettiest country... don't know if I could handle all of that white stuff, though! I know the hubby couldn't! That's all he's talked about, though, since we got back from the 2008 Mountain Luau - retiring in Colorado. Looking forward to exploring more of your wonderful state in 2009!

P.S. Does your pup extreme hike with you? He sure was a bundle of energy and fun to be with!

He has re-named the pup to "Moose".

So now when the dog runs off, he yells, "Moose-Come". :):D:):D (True story)

A few members of Team Red Rubicon celebrated the new year in Moab.

Top of the World and Dome Plateau:

Trail? What Trail?

f1e7270e-37f8-4dbd-9164-9e059bf6dfd3.jpg

Mountain Roamer on Fresh Tracks

f9682a32-c9d7-49b3-9e2d-db118097e8a4.jpg

Looking out the Cabin Window

a5a40591-47b5-4089-87a2-da611e892aa1.jpg

Poison Spider Mesa:

Team Red Rubicon Over the Colorado River

35d45a81-7ecf-419d-b1de-5f16bccf5339.jpg

Mountain Roamer up the Icy Waterfall

34976c7e-cc51-411a-a8b3-53a511c35404.jpg

zoltig on the edge

82a4947e-31b1-4948-876c-a7f9b9421a1c.jpg

You can see more photos on these caches:

Thompson Canyon

Top of the World

capt kidd's canyon view cache

Mary Jane Francis

Hi all - just found this thread. I've been a geocacher for while now but it took a back seat the last 2 years since I got my Rubicon and hooked up with a 4WD club in the Springs. Always looking for another opportunity to go wheelin and meet some new folks and the geocache aspect would be an added bonus (hope I remember how to work my GPS). Anyhow, I'll check back on this board from time to time to see if you all have any trips planned - maybe we can get together (feel free to send me an email if looking for someone to head out with)...

Hi all - just found this thread. I've been a geocacher for while now but it took a back seat the last 2 years since I got my Rubicon and hooked up with a 4WD club in the Springs. Always looking for another opportunity to go wheelin and meet some new folks and the geocache aspect would be an added bonus (hope I remember how to work my GPS). Anyhow, I'll check back on this board from time to time to see if you all have any trips planned - maybe we can get together (feel free to send me an email if looking for someone to head out with)...

Glad to have you back on-board, redsoxski.

The 4 wheeling and geocaching are a natural together. We have had plenty of adventures in both.

There are events in the planning as well as caches planted for the past events that will soon become accessable after the winter months leave us.

Welcome to the forums redsoxski. In the summer months, we have a group (Team Red Rubicon) heading up to the the trails almost every weekend. Your Rubicon wouldn't happen to be red would it? Send me an email (igeocache@gmail.com) and I will try to let you know when were are going to do a run next.

We had a rare winter run up Hell Canyon Road and Pole Hill Road yesterday with awesome weather and barely any snow:

The View from a Cache on Hell Canyon Road

22e961fd-fc20-4176-baf3-d63283e4b22e.jpg

zoltig Enjoying the Rare Warm Winter Mountain Weather

c1a8fc34-94ff-4846-9a51-510d529b1fe0.jpg

Jeep Parking

7bf678f8-9242-4ce1-aafd-92f8e4f63df6.jpg

In the Snow

a0320a68-2dad-4f55-9f48-81271b7784e2.jpg

The Whole Gang

ef1bcc96-9395-4784-83a8-feb137eab9ab.jpg

Not red, just white and still fairly stock. Looking forward to some trips. I got into a Jeep to see some country but what I'm finding is that a lot of the 4WD clubs are more into building the rigs and rock crawling. I'm into that to a degree but I'm still looking more for just the opportunity to get out and see some country. Email sent...

Edited by redsoxski

Not red, just white and still fairly stock. Looking forward to some trips. I got into a Jeep to see some country but what I'm finding is that a lot of the 4WD clubs are more into building the rigs and rock crawling. I'm into that to a degree but I'm still looking more for just the opportunity to get out and see some country. Email sent...

You don't need a Jeep to see some country. Legs do just fine....

Yesterday on Twin Sisters:

35d5b47e-77da-4cb8-b473-ebdcae3afe33.jpg

On top of Crosier Mountain last November:

08e35ec8-825c-4226-b08c-88c0697a3cb3.jpg

Twin Sisters in October:

63d27908-a4d7-42cc-86e5-9e619ad33364.jpg

You're in the right hobby/game to see some country. How you get to it is completely up to you. You're more than welcome to drive your Jeep and meet me at a trailhead. I'm always looking for another hiking buddy.

(that being said, I'd still LOVE to get myself a Jeep so my legs don't have to work so hard)

Don't mind using my legs either, usually try to do a 14er or 2 each year. I prefer the warmer weather for hiking though...

Welcome again from the n0wae team. Yep, hiking, jeepin, camping & Haming... we do it all. I have a cache on a 14er that you can jeep and hike to. Make sure you check out the bookmarks on the cache page for other 14er and jeeping caches. :angry:

Hello to my CO. friends. I, Jodi am no longer in the USA. I miss the cold, I miss the snow. I'll hopefully be back from Australia by Saxman's Campout this year. Temp here in Perth today is about 96 degrees. Love seeing all the mountain pictures guys...gives me something to show my friends here (show em what mountains are) Would love a new snow picture if you get a chance Rocket Man.

Hello to my CO. friends. I, Jodi am no longer in the USA. I miss the cold, I miss the snow. I'll hopefully be back from Australia by Saxman's Campout this year. Temp here in Perth today is about 96 degrees. Love seeing all the mountain pictures guys...gives me something to show my friends here (show em what mountains are) Would love a new snow picture if you get a chance Rocket Man.

How's this?

7000dc28-d8db-4494-b679-3e17c4dbbe7e.jpg

Hope you're enjoying your time out of country!

Edited by Team Laxson

Thanks for the snow picture, LAX!!!! Will be home just in time to see some of the winter snow. Flying in Feb 7th to L.A.X then to Phoenix..driving my Tahoe and trailer back through COLO. Hopefully the snow will hold off for a couple days while I am driving. Will be caching along the way. Looking forward to going to events again in CO! Bringing my Aussie man back with me, he has never seen snow!

Jodi

Edited by Team FIREBOY

Thanks for the snow picture, LAX!!!! Will be home just in time to see some of the winter snow. Flying in Feb 7th to L.A.X then to Phoenix..driving my Tahoe and trailer back through COLO. Hopefully the snow will hold off for a couple days while I am driving. Will be caching along the way. Looking forward to going to events again in CO! Bringing my Aussie man back with me, he has never seen snow!

Jodi

If you have the time when you get to Phoenix get ahold of me and I'll give you a good hike. When you get to CO ask the Lax whats up on Crosier.

Tahosa - Treker of the San Tans

Jodi

If you have the time when you get to Phoenix get ahold of me and I'll give you a good hike. When you get to CO ask the Lax whats up on Crosier.

Tahosa - Treker of the San Tans

We'll be back up on Crosier in a bit too. Willing to take a few extra with me too. I think we may have found a good hidey-hole up there last time.....

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

RocketMan

:)ALL RIGHHHHTTT! :D

Woo Hoo! Already put in the schedule request for time off. Can't wait to hear more details! I think the San Diego crew will be getting together soon to discuss our itinerary. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help plan, coordinate or whatever!!!

Robyn & Kathy :D

And the date will be:

Saturday, August 8th

RocketMan

:)ALL RIGHHHHTTT! :D

Woo Hoo! Already put in the schedule request for time off. Can't wait to hear more details! I think the San Diego crew will be getting together soon to discuss our itinerary. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help plan, coordinate or whatever!!!

Robyn & Kathy :D

It's funny that you just brought this up because I was just talking to someone else about it tonight. I'm glad to hear that the San Diego crew is going to make it out for the event this year. It's not for sure yet, but we are probably going to have the event in the Buena Vista area this year with Chinaman Gulch as the difficult trail.