The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Saturday was an awesome Colorodo winter day. It was in the 70's in town and warm up in the Mountains. And as n0wae would say, there are some folks out there that now have some 4WD Rescue Debt. Using the RocketMan Jeep, we winched out a full sized Blazer and then we helped out a Sheriff Deputy by winching out his full size Ford after which we gave him a ride out to a Stolen Explorer. You can read the story and see some pictures here.

260d5775-6c75-4820-a6f9-c4d02a827320.jpg

An article from n0wae:

4WD Rescue Debt

By n0wae

I can't remember where and when I first read about this '4-wheeling rescue debt tradition'. It's a far reaching code of ethics/tradition that has a positive and profound pyramid effect on our 4-wheeling sport. I don't remember the original story so here is my re-make:

A young, enthusiastic but inexperienced wheeler named Tom got his jeep stuck up to the frame in mud and didn't have any equipment or a clue on what to do. Luckily a veteran wheeler named Bob happened by in his battle scarred jeep and stopped to lend a hand. The old timer introduced himself and gave Tom his 4WD club's card and an invite to the next club meeting. Bob then rolled up his sleeves and went to work with his shovel. He tutored Tom about Tread Lightly, tow hooks and other needed equipment as he attached a short chain around the frame under Tom's very stuck jeep. After hooking up a snatch block and winch cable Tom's jeep was finally extracted from the mire.

As the now somewhat muddy old timer was stowing his gear a very relieved and grateful Tom pulled out his wallet and said "Bob, how much do I owe you?" Bob turned around and looked Tom right in the eye and said "Tom, you're not getting off that easy." A somewhat perplexed Tom said "What do you mean?" Bob smiled and said "This good feeling I have for helping you is not for sale"…"So your 4WD rescue debt will only be paid in full when you rescue not one but three other people!" Tom smiled as he put his wallet away and then shook Bob's hand with a new sense of direction and understanding. Tom then waved as he drove off with an experience and debt that was priceless!

Saturday was an awesome Colorodo winter day. It was in the 70's in town and warm up in the Mountains. And as n0wae would say, there are some folks out there that now have some 4WD Rescue Debt. Using the RocketMan Jeep, we winched out a full sized Blazer and then we helped out a Sheriff Deputy by winching out his full size Ford after which we gave him a ride out to a Stolen Explorer. You can read the story and see some pictures here.

An article from n0wae:

4WD Rescue Debt

By n0wae

I can't remember where and when I first read about this '4-wheeling rescue debt tradition'. It's a far reaching code of ethics/tradition that has a positive and profound pyramid effect on our 4-wheeling sport. I don't remember the original story so here is my re-make:

A young, enthusiastic but inexperienced wheeler named Tom got his jeep stuck up to the frame in mud and didn't have any equipment or a clue on what to do. Luckily a veteran wheeler named Bob happened by in his battle scarred jeep and stopped to lend a hand. The old timer introduced himself and gave Tom his 4WD club's card and an invite to the next club meeting. Bob then rolled up his sleeves and went to work with his shovel. He tutored Tom about Tread Lightly, tow hooks and other needed equipment as he attached a short chain around the frame under Tom's very stuck jeep. After hooking up a snatch block and winch cable Tom's jeep was finally extracted from the mire.

As the now somewhat muddy old timer was stowing his gear a very relieved and grateful Tom pulled out his wallet and said "Bob, how much do I owe you?" Bob turned around and looked Tom right in the eye and said "Tom, you're not getting off that easy." A somewhat perplexed Tom said "What do you mean?" Bob smiled and said "This good feeling I have for helping you is not for sale"…"So your 4WD rescue debt will only be paid in full when you rescue not one but three other people!" Tom smiled as he put his wallet away and then shook Bob's hand with a new sense of direction and understanding. Tom then waved as he drove off with an experience and debt that was priceless!

Some times around here, half the adventure is helping other people . ( just ask Habu) Desert Caching you always run into someone in trouble and you always give them a hand and always tell them that's ok just help some one else when they need it..(ask Chuy about that he missed FTF's Helping a stranded ATV rider) Of course FATTBOY does not get stuck so no problem there. <_<000201DD.gif 000201ED.gif

An article from n0wae:

4WD Rescue Debt

By n0wae

Great story Dave! Great name for that cache "I winched the Sheriff." <_< Maybe you should name the next one "But I didn't winch the deputy." ;)

I've been with Blonds Run Amuck two times when Barb ran amuck and then needed to be pulled out of trouble. It's great that so many off-roaders are such cool people otherwise we would have been stuck in the middle of nowhere. I helped a fellow cacher out last year when they sheared off the oil pan nut on their rental car in the desert, but I still have 5 more times to go! That's no problem because what goes around comes around! :P

Great story Dave! Great name for that cache "I winched the Sheriff." :o Maybe you should name the next one "But I didn't winch the deputy." :laughing:

Did you look at the first line of the cache description?

"Or Was it Just the Deputy?" :D

The song goes "I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy" and Eric Clapton's version was better than Bob Marley's version... :D

TrailGators said: I helped a fellow cacher out last year when they sheared off the oil pan nut on their rental car in the desert, but I still have 5 more times to go! That's no problem because what goes around comes around!

Yep! That was us he helped. Chuy also had to ride a motorcycle down a hill for a fellow who broke his collar bone as Jodi and I gave him a ride down in our vehicle listening to his moaning the whole time. I think we are behind in the rescue business and owe a few! Great story Dave!

TrailGators said: I helped a fellow cacher out last year when they sheared off the oil pan nut on their rental car in the desert, but I still have 5 more times to go! That's no problem because what goes around comes around!

Yep! That was us he helped. Chuy also had to ride a motorcycle down a hill for a fellow who broke his collar bone as Jodi and I gave him a ride down in our vehicle listening to his moaning the whole time. I think we are behind in the rescue business and owe a few! Great story Dave!

Hmmmm-This this could actually spawn a new topic. "What good deeds have you done while you were out geocaching."

Hmmmm-This this could actually spawn a new topic. "What good deeds have you done while you were out geocaching."

We need more topics like that! :)

We need more topics like that! :D

I think someone who is active in the main forums should start such a topic. :)

We need more topics like that! :D

I think someone who is active in the main forums should start such a topic. :)

Zoltig thought of it...Your story would be a great kickoff for it. :D

A very hearty thanks to all that showed up for the event, it sure was a lot of fun. Met a lot of new cachers and a lot of old favorites. Did a cache run after the event with the Sax and the Lax and then did it ever get interesting.

Well the Trio known as the Mick, the Sax, and the Lax stopped to look for a Cache.

9f61bdf2-c7c6-4389-9cc1-41b4dde65be8.jpg

And then Tashoa watched as the Sax Screamed and the Lax lifted the SKIRT looking for the Cache, now was it a nano or micro, I'll never tell.

1e500c62-9f96-4fad-acf5-8440fd95b09b.jpg

Nice pictures Tahosa and thanks for putting on the fun event. I expect this picture to show up in other places and it may be a while before Laxson lives it down. ;)

Edit: It may be a while before Sax lives it down too. :o

Hey, he was hiding the logbook! :D

So, that's your story and you're sticking to it?

Nice pictures Tahosa and thanks for putting on the fun event. I expect this picture to show up in other places and it may be a while before Laxson lives it down. :D

Edit: It may be a while before Sax lives it down too. :o

Hey, he was hiding the logbook! :D

So, that's your story and you're sticking to it?

That's the story we all agreed too....... ;)

;)

All,

I have enjoyed this thread very much.

Me and a buddy will be heading out to CO in the middle of August for 2 weeks. Our pickup is not a 4x4, but we will have our mountain bikes with us. We have been trying to select some caches that will be memorable. Some of the OR series of caches in this thread remain possibilities for us, depending on their terrain.

Can anyone recommend some caches that will get us on our bikes onto some nice single track trails? We do not have a route planned yet, but most likely are looking at going West through Pueblo, Salida, Gunnison (maybe) then heading North to Breck, Frisco and maybe Estes Park.

Thanks for any responses. You can email me from geocaching.com or PM or post here. Any way will work.

JC_Geo

Edited by JC_Geo

Team Red Rubicon made an assault on Chinaman Gulch on Sunday. We had Red Ruby, Cirrus142, zoltig and RocketMan on the run. Weather conditions were great, trail conditions were great (no snow) and we had a blast. Read my full log and see more photos here.

4 Red Rubicons

19ce5016-29d4-4226-bf67-e95634f3f39f.jpg

Red Ruby on the Waterfall

e3bb05e2-553c-4b23-95cd-16e584deb960.jpg

zoltig in the Waterfall Pile Up

32d52d78-0432-4e5f-a795-4941e943d5fc.jpg

RocketMan Doing a Wheel Stand

36bb14f1-4fcf-4f09-b5ab-df04a39f0c0d.jpg

Cirrus142 in the Chutes

3b32a97d-97a7-4ceb-adee-6ea563d0a19b.jpg

Well, Memorial Day weekend proved to be very entertaining. We spent a few days down at 4 Corners/Mesa Verde. Lots of fun to be had there. The weather changes from here to there were pretty extreme; high 70's, torrential rain, fog, snow, all in the same day. Was even able to knock off 9 pages of the Delome Challenge, and 7 counties from Mondo's County Challenge! :blink:

The biggest downer of the whole trip was the $4.29/ gal of gas. :unsure:

Here's a few pics to share:

The Team at 4 Corners:

9bdf4878-63a9-41aa-81aa-8cd6624d926d.jpg

The little tike in Silverthorn:

44bdb35c-1622-4757-80bd-1e1bf46cadb9.jpg

Caching in the snow:

9269dbfc-99b9-4e52-b0b9-c6e3faddf1b2.jpg

Mesa Verde:

9b14bcdc-3c44-4286-9182-85fb7cef3eb3.jpg

Edited by Team Laxson
Mesa Verde:

we really want to visit Mesa Verde this summer.

can you recommend any caches around there?

There used to be a cache right at the entrace to Mesa Verde NP, but the National Parking Service snarfed it up as "abandoned property". :angry:

Humm, that's too bad. Now I really wish you could see archived caches (like on the old maps). We stopped right there too....

a5dc47d4-f88f-4d40-99f9-41f900bfc2c5.jpg

There's really not many caches near Mesa Verde. We didn't get to do many caches other than roadside stops.

Great pictures Team Laxon! The Last time we were in Mesa Verde was in the late 80s. We camped for a week in a tent and it rained every day. An old woman who ran a local store said it was the most rain she had experienced in 40 years living in the area! (Figures we picked that week to camp there). Looks like you had a good time in this fascinating area. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I'm still running on 7 cylinders since my car accident. I do plan on attending the Event tomorrow so I'll see you there.

There used to be a cache right at the entrance to Mesa Verde NP, but the National Parking Service snarfed it up as "abandoned property". :)
Humm, that's too bad. Now I really wish you could see archived caches (like on the old maps). We stopped right there too....

That sign is where we parked...

Here's the link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...30-e7e32ed4e28f

Well, Memorial Day weekend proved to be very entertaining. We spent a few days down at 4 Corners/Mesa Verde. Lots of fun to be had there. The weather changes from here to there were pretty extreme; high 70's, torrential rain, fog, snow, all in the same day. Was even able to knock off 9 pages of the Delome Challenge, and 7 counties from Mondo's County Challenge! :D

The biggest downer of the whole trip was the $4.29/ gal of gas. :)

Here's a few pics to share:

The Team at 4 Corners:

9bdf4878-63a9-41aa-81aa-8cd6624d926d.jpg

The little tike in Silverthorn:

44bdb35c-1622-4757-80bd-1e1bf46cadb9.jpg

Caching in the snow:

9269dbfc-99b9-4e52-b0b9-c6e3faddf1b2.jpg

Mesa Verde:

Great pictures Chris! It looks like you and the family had a fun time. I'm glad you got a chance to break away from the job. RM

Keep those nice shots coming Cirrus. I guess I should get myself in shape so I can do those challenging hikes. On the other hand, that might take away from my time in the Jeep. <_<

Why does the entire state of Colorado have just one standing thread, while the small (but wonderful) city of San Diego has at least a half dozen standing threads?! B)

where is everyone hiding? B)

Edited by cirrus142

Keep those nice shots coming Cirrus. I guess I should get myself in shape so I can do those challenging hikes. On the other hand, that might take away from my time in the Jeep. :D

Why does the entire state of Colorado have just one standing thread, while the small (but wonderful) city of San Diego has at least a half dozen standing threads?! :grin:

where is everyone hiding? :grin:

Here

Why does the entire state of Colorado have just one standing thread, while the small (but wonderful) city of San Diego has at least a half dozen standing threads?! B)

where is everyone hiding? :grin:

Small?

At 1,256,951 people, San Diego has one-fourth the population of Colorado... :grin:

:D

And everyone of them have a tendency to talk......A LOT!! B)

That is why they have to have soooo many threads. :D

People in Colorado have a tendency to take in the scenery and keep the babbling down. :D:D

I soooo need to get a Jeep!! :grin:

(whimper)

My oh my how times have changed!

Changed?

It hasn't changed so much.

Now it is, "I soooo need more stuff to put on my Jeep!!" :grin:

(drool)

....And, Oh yeah! The question of: "Where are we going 4 wheeling next?" :D

Having a Jeep puts the "WEEEEEEE" into 4 wheeling.

SEE! It hasn't changed so much! :DB)B)

Edited by zoltig
I soooo need to get a Jeep!! B)

(whimper)

Changed?

Now it is, "I soooo need more stuff to put on my Jeep!!" :D

(drool)

SEE! It hasn't changed so much! :D:grin::grin:

...... :D That's right fellas.....keep rubbing it in......... B)

I soooo need to get a Jeep!! B)

(whimper)

Changed?

Now it is, "I soooo need more stuff to put on my Jeep!!" :D

(drool)

SEE! It hasn't changed so much! :):grin::grin:

...... :D That's right fellas.....keep rubbing it in......... B)

Hopefully by the end of summer, I'll be saying the same thing about you. :D

Why does the entire state of Colorado have just one standing thread, while the small (but wonderful) city of San Diego has at least a half dozen standing threads?! :lol:

where is everyone hiding? :o

Small?

At 1,256,951 people, San Diego has one-fourth the population of Colorado... :lol:

;)

And everyone of them have a tendency to talk......A LOT!! ;)

That is why they have to have soooo many threads. :rolleyes:

People in Colorado have a tendency to take in the scenery and keep the babbling down. :):o

And some of those San Diegans don't even keep the babbling on their own threads... :)

(Even worse, some of them move to Colorado and become moderators of threads... :o )

Why does the entire state of Colorado have just one standing thread, while the small (but wonderful) city of San Diego has at least a half dozen standing threads?! :o

where is everyone hiding? :o

Small?

At 1,256,951 people, San Diego has one-fourth the population of Colorado... :rolleyes:

:o

And everyone of them have a tendency to talk......A LOT!! ;)

That is why they have to have soooo many threads. :D

People in Colorado have a tendency to take in the scenery and keep the babbling down. :D:)

And some of those San Diegans don't even keep the babbling on their own threads... :D

(Even worse, some of them move to Colorado and become moderators of threads... :) )

:lol: ..... ;) ....... B) ...... :lol:

This post has been moderated by RocketMan Jun 05 2008, 08:24 AM

:rolleyes: ..... ;) ....... :o ...... :lol:

did Lax say something naughty!??

Sometimes people (TLX) have to be put in their place. :lol:

This post has been moderated by RocketMan Jun 06 2008, 12:57 pm

:rolleyes: ..... :) ....... :) ...... :o

did Lax say something naughty!??

Sometimes people (TLX) have to be put in their place. :lol:

This post has been moderated by RocketMan Jun 06 2008, 12:57 pm

Oh C'MON!! ;)

What did I say that wasn't true? :o

The moderator curse is upon us. ;)

zoltig adds that the curse of two mods are upon us. :lol::o

This post was re-edited by RocketMan June 5 2008, 5:24 pm (and doesn't care what moose mob thinks)

Edited by zoltig